• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A hard new console that will have a full lineup of exclusive games isn't happening for another four to five years imo.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
HD game development takes time. The Switch is killing it on the market right now, they have no reason to put out a new console by 2021/2022. It makes no sense.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Whatever the next iteration of the Switch will be it absolutely must support backward compatibility to sustain the current momentum. God help them if Nintendo decides this isn't necessary.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I feel like this would not be a great move as Switch games are going to look really bad on most people's TVs in 2022.

It's of course dependent on when they can actually make a Switch 2 that could do 4K docked, but I think this is a real issue coming up for the Switch.
I honestly don't think we'll get to the point where 1080p is an unacceptable quality for at least a decade if not more. 4K is for enthusiasts. If Switch 2 can achieve what other consoles are doing in 4K...but in HD, Switch will do extremely well.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I feel like this would not be a great move as Switch games are going to look really bad on most people's TVs in 2022.

It's of course dependent on when they can actually make a Switch 2 that could do 4K docked, but I think this is a real issue coming up for the Switch.

prolonging the life doesn't mean sticking to the original Switch. It's more likely a pro will add a couple of years.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Historically speaking, Most Nintendo handhelds have had some form of "Upgrade" system mid-way through their lives (Game Boy Color, DSi, New 3DS), the Switch will probably be no exception.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
I would kind of hate this list. More ports/remasters and a bunch of sequels to games that just came out in the last couple years. Yay Wave Rave though.

They have limited manpower because they are an ultra conservative Japanese company that prefers to hoard wealth rather than spend it on increasing their studio sizes, buying studios, or creating new ones. The fact that almost all of their software is developed in a single country, a chunk of which is developed by tiny Japanese devs, is just bad business for a company that is trying to support a platform that is not in lock step with everyone else technology wise. Their salvation is that their branding and franchises are so strong they can release budget titles like a Links Awakening remake for $60 and still move tons of units.
"Why can't Nintendo just be Microsoft already"?

I read the same ethocentrism about the lack of "western companies" in the topic about Reggie's lecture, and i must admit that I can't understand the idea of blaming Nintendo for being Nintendo.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I read the same ethocentrism about the lack of "western companies" in the topic about Reggie's lecture, and i must admit that I can't understand the idea of blaming Nintendo for being Nintendo.

People simply don't understand that Nintendo is actually at its most efficient in terms of making games right now. Yes, games get delayed, yes there's lulls of no big release. But that's true of Sony and Microsoft too. Buying studios doesn't suddenly mean you get to release 100+ games a year. Games take time to make, and a studio can't always have something ready in a short amount of time.

Nintendo's strategy actually minimizes studio casualties as opposed to creating them. Don't believe me? Look at the ammount of studios EA, Microsoft, even Sony had to shut down, compared to the Nintendo partners who closed or went bankrupt. Big difference.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I interpret this as meaning they're sticking with the "Switch" name for their next console (Switch 2). They would honestly be foolish at this point to try and establish another new brand when the Switch has such a positive perception in the gaming community.
Let me tell you the dark tale about a little console known as the Wii U...
Not saying they won't stick with the Switch name or otherwise but Nintendo should be perfectly aware by now that brand names aren't THAT important and even with better marketing and sticking a 2 in the name there might be some apprehension when the time comes to launch a successor, there's also precedent for moving away from an insanely popular brand name and still reaching success (Game Boy-Nintendo DS)

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

Sadly, they're not the ones who'd make this decision. When the third parties completely abandon the system, Switch will be declared dead. And this time Nintendo doesn't have Etrian Odyssey, Monster Hunter and the immense popularity of Yokai Watch to stretch its life a little bit more and they just lost one of their studios.

After the BotW and Odyssey sequels are out on Switch, both teams will start working on next gen followups. Nintendo will probably launch Switch 2 when both are ready.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sales on the system will start to falter like many other systems did. I don't think we'll have to worry about the Switch getting too long in the tooth

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I honestly don't think we'll get to the point where 1080p is an unacceptable quality for at least a decade if not more. 4K is for enthusiasts. If Switch 2 can achieve what other consoles are doing in 4K...but in HD, Switch will do extremely well.
But at the same time, the power gap is only gonna widen as we get into next-gen, to the point where the Switch will only really have first-party games & indie titles (and those two alone weren't enough for the Wii U, though the Switch has more of the former) as their other third-party supporters start dropping off the system. A Switch 2 is probably gonna be needed around 2022-2023 to maintain the power gap at a point where downports would still be somewhat feasible.

sales on the system will start to falter like many other systems did. I don't think we'll have to worry about the Switch getting too long in the tooth
Also this

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
But at the same time, the power gap is only gonna widen as we get into next-gen, to the point where the Switch will only really have first-party games & indie titles (and those two alone weren't enough for the Wii U, though the Switch has more of the former) as their other third-party supporters start dropping off the system. A Switch 2 is probably gonna be needed around 2022-2023 to maintain the power gap at a point where downports would still be somewhat feasible.

Developers will still make games with the Switch in mind. They don't have to be down ports of games. Lack of power didn't stop systems like the DS from getting third party support. So long as the Switch sells, publishers will support it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Sadly, they're not the ones who'd make this decision. When the third parties completely abandon the system, Switch will be declared dead. And this time Nintendo doesn't have Etrian Odyssey, Monster Hunter and the immense popularity of Yokai Watch to stretch its life a little bit more and they just lost one of their studios.

After the BotW and Odyssey sequels are out on Switch, both teams will start working on next gen followups. Nintendo will probably launch Switch 2 when both are ready.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say Etrian Odyssey was not a system seller.

People buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. As long as those are coming out, the Switch userbase isn't gonna vanish into thin air. Q4 2022 is the earliest I see a Switch 2 launching. I'm expecting 2023.

My gaming TV is still 720p...

Same lol

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
"Why can't Nintendo just be Microsoft already"?

What does that have to do with Microsoft? The purpose would be for them to diversify their game development, both for content purposes, and to ease their need to rely on labor in a country struggling with labor shortages(Japan).

With regards to purchasing studios, or starting new ones, and ethnocentrism, Japanese companies have been criticized both at home and abroad for hoarding money rather than reinvesting in their business through acquisitions or otherwise. It's a known problem, Nintendo included.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Developers will still make games with the Switch in mind. They don't have to be down ports of games. Lack of power didn't stop systems like the DS from getting third party support. So long as the Switch sells, publishers will support it.
the devs that will do this aren't devs seeking huge sales

Apr 21, 2018
I love how people say the gap in power is widening. The gap has been shrinking every generation. It will never be a Wii—>xbox360 situation again. Next gen will launch, Switch 2 will come a year or two later, I don't see the big issue.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
the devs that will do this aren't devs seeking huge sales
Still doesn't mean there isn't money to be made on the Switch. If you're a publisher, and you see a platform with nearly 50 million users on it by this point, and a stellar attatchment ratio for games, why wouldn't you want to support it? It doesn't have to be exclusive, but games made for the Switch in mind will not only benefit the Switch, but also PlayStation and Xbox consoles too.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
We found out that this argument is false when Wii U, home of great Nintendo games, sold only 14 million.

The Wii U was bogged down with bad branding, bad advertising, and cumbersome hardware. The Switch has already more than doubled the Wii U's sales, it isn't comparable at all.

Look at every Nintendo system since the N64 days, all the best selling games are first parties by a landslide.

Sep 14, 2019
I think the Switch 2 will launch March 2023. It's around the point I'd expect sales for Switch to more or less wrap up. Of course, the two years after that will probably provide a few million more sales. Maybe even a generous 10+ million. But companies always tend to jump right as the saturation point becomes too high, not wait till the last minute to dive (even the PS4 with a 7 year lifespan had sales in it's 5th year pretty comparable to it's 4th and will have a killer 6th year for how old it is, only showing massive declines as the 7th year begins).

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
The Wii U was bogged down with bad branding, bad advertising, and cumbersome hardware. The Switch has already more than doubled the Wii U's sales, it isn't comparable at all.

Look at every Nintendo system since the N64 days, all the best selling games are first parties by a landslide.

But we're talking about just first party titles keeping the system alive post 6th year. That's exact same Wii U situation there. Third parties and independent studios will move on to newer systems and Switch will be forgotten. Look at Switch's Nintendo published lineup this year, three of them from independent studios: Fire Emblem, Deamon and Astral Chain: Koei, Marvelous and Platinum all will be working on PS5 and Scarlett in 2022. If you take them away all we have will be three Nintendo games a year and Pokémon. That's not the right amount to keep a system healthy against newer technologies that PS5 and Scarlett will have.

Also, what you said is true, Switch sold more than Wii U but it's nearing 3DS install base (3DS install base is much lower than its total sales) could peak at the same point. That's why Nintendo is trying to best to expand to newer audiences, like with The Witcher 3 and The Outer Worlds they're trying to reach non-Nintendo crowd and with Ringfit they're trying to reach adult crowd. I don't know how much they will manage to stretch the peak point, but Switch will definitely hit it in couple of years. 100m is their target and it's a difficult one. And they do need third parties with them if they want non-Nintendo crowd at their side.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Third parties and independent studios will move on to newer systems and Switch will be forgotten. Look at Switch's Nintendo published lineup this year, three of them from independent studios: Fire Emblem, Deamon and Astral Chain: Koei, Marvelous and Platinum all will be working on PS5 and Scarlett in 2022. If you take them away all we have will be three Nintendo games a year and Pokémon. That's not the right amount to keep a system healthy against newer technologies that PS5 and Scarlett will have.

With indies and third parties doing well on the Switch, that's not going to happen. Switch will be just fine. Platinum and the like won't even mind working with Nintendo again in the future. People put too much stock in spec wars, but really, developers just care about user base and ease of programming before anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.