• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
Very excited to see if we get that announcement today.

If it dosen't happen, does that mean it's next week, or could it still be announced tomorrow?

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
When it's 7:01am and no direct is announced:

LduXsvx.jpg

Fintendo

Jun 5, 2019
I think there will be a big update for Mario Maker 2 and a pointless update for Yoshi's Crafted World for the 2 people that are still playing it.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just give me more Reincarnation

I remember when Bill Trinen had to explicitly say "Yes. This is the Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei crossover," in the Direct because, really, you'd never be able to tell that if you were just watching the trailer by itself.

The game may be amazing (i don't know, haven't played it) but, holy fuck, the association with those two franchises and especially that initial teaser were really bad moves. I honestly can't see Switch-era Nintendo making the same mistake again.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I remember when Bill Trinen had to explicitly say "Yes. This is the Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei crossover," in the Direct because, really, you'd never be able to tell that if you were just watching the trailer by itself.

The game may be amazing (i don't know, haven't played it) but, holy fuck, the association with those two franchises and especially that initial teaser were really bad moves. I honestly can't see Switch-era Nintendo making the same mistake again.

They wont make the mistake again because they won't bring up the dumb teaser again if they ported it.

When you're trying to find joy in life but multi-national major corporation Nintendo hasn't announced their tri-annual advertising event yet:

b16.jpg

Big mood right now tbh.

Nobody knows what it's like to be a #gamer

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's funny because the game does the SMT x FE thing very well imo. Plays like SMT and has a fantastic battle system , while twisting the FE lore in an unique and cool way.

I expected it to be more like a Project X Zone-like game before, that, while cool, is more fanservice than great as a RPG, so I prefer the direction they went with TMS.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's funny because the game does the SMT x FE thing very well imo. Plays like SMT and has a fantastic battle system , while twisting the FE lore in an unique and cool way.

I expected it to be more like a Project X Zone-like game before, that, while cool, is more fanservice than great as a RPG, so I prefer the direction they went with TMS.

It does have those elements if it doesn't 'feel' like either game then what's the point of doing a crossover in the first place? To me it just seems like they took SMT's battle system and some elements of Fire Emblem lore and shoved them both into a completely unrelated JRPG that is neither SMT or FE.

They wont make the mistake again because they won't bring up the dumb teaser again if they ported it.

I think they'd have to just completely ignore the SMT and FE connections for them to not make a similar mistake again.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
They should make a sequel, call it Tokyo Mirage Sessions # whatever (XB?)

Boom, new JRPG series that always has allusions to different other JRPGs, while being its own thing.

At the time I also thought the marketing and expectations were the worst part of the game. Once you got used to what it was and treated it as that it became quite the gem. Combat system is just awesome.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think they'll keep the 'of the Wild' part of the name, and tie it into Ganondorf's Malice Corruption, so something like Decay of the Wild.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It does have those elements if it doesn't 'feel' like either game then what's the point of doing a crossover in the first place? To me it just seems like they took SMT's battle system and some elements of Fire Emblem lore and shoved them both into a completely unrelated JRPG that is neither SMT or FE.

I think a lot of people were just expecting it to be a SRPG with SMT characters in addition to FE characters which would be far more pointless IMO. TMS is more of a conceptual crossover that is presented as an original property which makes a lot more sense. You don't need to know either series to appreciate it as a game. Which could not be said "omigawd is Ike vs Demi-Fiend u guize!" which most people wanted.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I think a lot of people were just expecting it to be a SRPG with SMT characters in addition to FE characters which would be far more pointless IMO. TMS is more of a conceptual crossover that is presented as an original property which makes a lot more sense. You don't need to know either series to appreciate it as a game. Which could not be said "omigawd is Ike vs Demi-Fiend u guize!" which most people wanted.

The thing is the game still bombed and it did so despite being on the already-failed Wii U. If it made a "lot more sense" to make a game like that and advertise it as a SMTxFE crossover then that wouldn't have happened, but in reality most people do want a "pointless" crossover more than they do a totally original game whose only connection to the two brands come in the form of minor 'crossover elements.'

Also I think there's the elephant in the room here which is that TMS is, despite being supposedly amazing, fundamentally niche. It's a game based around Japanese idol culture with a lot of fan service and an incredibly garish art style. That it also represents a betrayal to fans of SMT and FE who wanted an actual crossover is just one of many reasons why the game failed.

How much madness will engulf this thread across the next 5 hours?

I'm thinking "just saw the Elder Gods lurking in the dark depths of R'lyeh," levels of madness.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
But wasn't a dark philosophical theme what people wanted instead of a cutesy idol music game?
I mean that was the expectation from the first teaser.
As many people said it felt much more like Persona and even those games aren't as pastell and otaku culture centered.

I still really want to play the game because gameplaywise it looks awesome.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018

Given how they got the elephant out of the room (the expectation that TMS would be gritty instead of this), I think impressions should be better. Personally I have my doubts that a fan envisioned version of TMS would necessarily perform better.

The thing is the game still bombed and it did so despite being on the already-failed Wii U. If it made a "lot more sense" to make a game like that and advertise it as a SMTxFE crossover then that wouldn't have happened, but in reality most people do want a "pointless" crossover more than they do a totally original game whose only connection to the two brands come in the form of minor 'crossover elements.'

Also I think there's the elephant in the room here which is that TMS is, despite being supposedly amazing, fundamentally niche. It's a game based around Japanese idol culture with a lot of fan service and an incredibly garish art style. That it also represents a betrayal to fans of SMT and FE who wanted an actual crossover is just one of many reasons why the game failed.
I'm thinking "just saw the Elder Gods lurking in the dark depths of R'lyeh," levels of madness.
I think that if people can consistently call for games which were a commercial bomb as (W101/XBX), then TMS definitely deserves a shot. Its a pretty damn good game too and given how many JRPGs have found success on the switch it can definitely work.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
It did tank. The only issue is the analog triggers. It wasn't specified if it's first or third. If it's true my guess is it's Viewtiful Joe since we have rumors of a third game coming.
My immediate assumption upon seeing "GameCube game that tanked" was one of the 'Capcom Five' games - PN03 absolutely bombed, but it was also pretty mediocre so I'm not sure what would be gained from a port/remaster. They'd have to actually finish developing the game this time.

That leaves Viewtiful Joe or Killer 7 as the likely candidates - Killer 7 does have a PC remaster, now.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I think Peer was talking about Metroid Prime anyway. It didn't tank but his larger point was that audience on Switch might be more receptive to some games, and I think it's true for Metroid.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't think Mystery Game 4 is going to be sports as Nintendo wouldn't want to take any of Mario & Sonic's thunder from the holiday season (or they wouldn't want to put a sports game up against Mario & Sonic).

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018

The "yes" answer is old stuff now, but it never, NEVER fails to make me laugh when used properly. I nearly spit the water I was drinking in the office, I had a couple of colleagues looking at me like "you ok bro?"

Anyway, what's the time we expect to either get the date for the Direct or reset the clock?

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
But wasn't a dark philosophical theme what people wanted instead of a cutesy idol music game?
I mean that was the expectation from the first teaser.
As many people said it felt much more like Persona and even those games aren't as pastell and otaku culture centered.

I still really want to play the game because gameplaywise it looks awesome.

I definitively agree it's a lot more cutesy and lacking the dark elements of SMT.

Quote me on this I'm fine with admitting I was wrong if Nintendo ports TMS and it bombs.

I guarantee you a proper SMTxFE crossover would have bombed on the Wii U just as much. Hardcore FE fans would have loved it but the big audience who got into it post-awakening wouldn't have been there for it. Whether they owned a Wii U or not.
SMT fans were not going to buy a Wii U for it. It was destined to be niche.

Did you even play TMS btw? I don't think you have the way you describe.

"garish art style" ok buddy...

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
I really hope there is an announcement for a direct today.

Even if I still have many games in my back catalog to play.

it's always so exciting

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
The "yes" answer is old stuff now, but it never, NEVER fails to make me laugh when used properly. I nearly spit the water I was drinking in the office, I had a couple of colleagues looking at me like "you ok bro?"

Anyway, what's the time we expect to either get the date for the Direct or reset the clock?

Sorry ;_;

if the announcement will be today then in 4 hours and 15 minutes.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Quote me on this I'm fine with admitting I was wrong if Nintendo ports TMS and it bombs.

I guarantee you a proper SMTxFE crossover would have bombed on the Wii U just as much. Hardcore FE fans would have loved it but the big audience who got into it post-awakening wouldn't have been there for it. Whether they owned a Wii U or not.

Oh a SMTxFE crossover would have been niche, but it would have been decidedly less niche than TMS.

And I haven't played TMS, but I've seen the trailers, promotional material, and gameplay. In terms of actually making a judgement regarding how regular people who haven't played it might see the game I think a voice that hasn't played it is necessary.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I definitively agree it's a lot more cutesy and lacking the dark elements of SMT.

I think the problem is how to define a "proper SMTxFE" crossover.
I agree that post-awakening FE fans wouldn't want grimddark game, but I don't think thwy had to lean into the cutesy idol angle that much.
It's not like the newer Fire Emblems don't have a serious setting or moments, they should have found a balance.
I guess people still would have protested, I mean one of the the biggest criticisms of SMT4Apocalypse is that it's just too shounen anime power of friendship, but it would also have felt closer to the game series it's supposed to be a crossover of.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Oh a SMTxFE crossover would have been niche, but it would have been decidedly less niche than TMS.

And I haven't played TMS, but I've seen the trailers, promotional material, and gameplay. In terms of actually making a judgement regarding how regular people who haven't played it might see the game I think a voice that hasn't played it is necessary.

Wow really? I know this might sound crazy but I think a JRPG about Japanese teenagers in Japan getting into the media industry and fighting demons with Fire Emblem personas would be more appealing to the anime fan demographic than a crossover with FE and SMT.

When dealing with niche products I think you have to keep in mind the potential audience. Obviously a mainstream casual audience is going to look at this confused but what about the huge anime audience that buys games like this up.
SMT is much more niche than Persona and I think a large contribution to that is Persona's more bubblegum Japanese high school setting. Which TMS has over an FExSMT crossover.

So yeah I don't see how you could argue it would do worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.