• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody has said Mario Baseball I think. It could be that

Actually it won't with Mario and Sonic Olympics coming.
yea people also thought her Mario strikers mention was a tease, but that would be a weird December game for the same reason.
Olympic game is November. I don't think it was a Strikers hint.....at least for 2019.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All of these are great choices. A new Hotel Dusk would be incredible if they could get the original writer back.

Yeah, Hotel Dusk/Last Window and Another Code would be difficult because Cing doesn't exist anymore but I would love for Nintendo to make adventure games again. Still dreaming of that Detective Club revival/remake.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yea people also thought her Mario strikers mention was a tease, but that would be a weird December game for the same reason.
Olympic game is November. I don't think it was a Strikers hint.....at least for 2019.

I saw that post. I figured she just wanted it. I hope it'll come at some point. Maybe NLG is working on 2 games at once. I feel like they're not capable, but who knows.

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
I imagine most of 2020's big games will be revealed in 2020. Remember that Mario Maker, Link's Awakening, and Pokémon all revealed and released this year. Smash in 2018 released in the same year it revealed too. As well as Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 in 2017.

Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing aren't really the norm.

This is a good point, and seeing as there is still a new game to announce for December, and we already have Animal Crossing in March, I wouldn't be surprised to see no new anouncements for 2020.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Reminder. Nintendo has ended a Direct with a new Monolith Soft game and it was fucking glorious. They even get their logo shown unlike many of Nintendo's other devs.

That was the 2013 January Direct wasn't it? Man that was along time agk, I wonder if we will get anything on that level again.
Would love to see something metroid related.
Maybe the trilogy or 2d metroid? Let's hope so.

Didn't they anounced prev year animal crossing & luigi mansion?
Metroid V would be amazing, I could see it being ready to be shown off. And yeah last Year was indeed Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing, which is why its logical to assume Nintendo has 2 or 3 ganes for the next year in this direct.

And since qe are talkimg about Mystery Game #4 I guess its time to pray again that its Picross 3D Round 3.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Nintendo at the idea of bundling Wind Waker HD & Twilight Princess HD
3b2.gif

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
That was the 2013 January Direct wasn't it? Man that was along time agk, I wonder if we will get anything on that level again.
Its been surpassed several times over.
Most of the old directs don't really hold up, and the new ones have a lot more games. That one started with 10-12 minutes of miiverse talking lol. Xeno trailer was a good trailer though

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
I think Mystery Game #4, since it is probably releasing by the end of the year, is a niche type of game. Nintendo wouldn't release any high profile game without a big marketing push which arguably they don't have time for now. So I think att least a Super Mario Odyssey "2" is out of the question.

Oct 26, 2017
This is a good point, and seeing as there is still a new game to announce for December, and we already have Animal Crossing in March, I wouldn't be surprised to see no new anouncements for 2020.
There's likely at least one to announce for Jan/Feb. Maybe a Wii U port like Pikmin 3.
Edit: I guess that doesn't count as 'new' in context though.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Xeno X teaser was one of the best moments of any direct, and was a watershed for Monolithsoft. They were officially in the big leagues.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe we are just hours away from a Direct announcement. A Direct in which they announce a new Paper Mario RPG. I am shaking. Literally shaking. I asked a friend to type this because my hands are shaking too much to use a keyboard.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Talking about the January 2013 Direct, I honestly think we've had many Directs much better than that one both in terms of genuine announcements and definitely in terms of presentaiton. It's just that the January 2013 Direct came at a time just after the Wii U fell flat on its face and people needed hope; if you actually look back and see what was announced there (especially in the context of when those games actually came out) it's sort of barebones:

Miiverse -- 00:56
Wii U Updates including Virtual Console -- 07:40

Nearly half the presentation is dedicated to OS updates, OS features, and an explanation of the Virtual Console. That would be seen as ridiculous in today's Direct formats, and the only thing like it that we've seen is the Smash Direct bolted onto the end of last year's E3.

Spring and Summer Games -- 18:30
Literally just some reminders that Game & Wario and Wii Fit U are coming without a second of gameplay for either one.

The Wonderful 101 -- 18:53
Was a good game, but ended up under-performing

Bayonetta 2 -- 20:27
Already announced, and the trailer barely showed anything.

New Super Smash Bros. -- 23:31
Again this was already announced, and nothing was shown due to it being revealed later in E3.

New Titles From Nintendo -- 24:11
3D Mario & Mario Kart announced. Pretty big announcements but no gameplay made it feel lukewarm, and the Mario announcement set up expectations that would be met with disappointment upon 3D World's actual reveal in that year's E3.

Yarn Yoshi -- 26:56
This didn't release until over 2 years later and the announcement itself was barebones as all hell.

Shin-Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem -- 27:53
This was an extremely barebones teaser that, in hindsight, did more to hurt the eventual end product than it did to help it. Setting up a serious genuine crossover only to release an Idol Culture JRPG with tenuous Fire Emblem links was a bad move.

The Legend of Zelda -- 29:21
Wind Waker HD was the only big announcement here as, like many of the previous announcements, the full Zelda reveal was just a title drop with some very basic information, and one for a game that we wouldn't receive until literally 4 years later.

Monolith Soft -- 34:01
This was a great ending but, again, the game released over 2 years after the Direct.

So, yeah, whilst the Direct had a bunch of big announcements those announcements were incredibly barebones and, in hindsight, they referred to the majority of the Wii U's big 1st party lineup, with most games coming out at least a year after the Direct. It came at a time where the Wii U desperately needed some promises, and looking at it so many years later it looked like a desperate attempt to boost sales rather than a Direct made in true confidence. There is also literally no mention of 3rd party titles, cementing that the Wii U's initially good support was a fluke.

Compare that to the Directs of the Switch era which have tons of games both 1st and 3rd party that release in the same year as the Direct itself. We're unlikely going to get a Direct which has the volume of 'major' announcements that the January 2013 had, but on the other hand literally every Direct has at least one or two of those major announcements.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Metroid V would be amazing, I could see it being ready to be shown off. And yeah last Year was indeed Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing, which is why its logical to assume Nintendo has 2 or 3 ganes for the next year in this direct.

And since qe are talkimg about Mystery Game #4 I guess its time to pray again that its Picross 3D Round 3.

Yeah it was the desperation Wii U 2013 Direct. One of the best finales ever to end a Nintendo digital presentation.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I'd be shocked to see MPT right now. The sequel/Reboot is still 2-3 years away at best and 3rd parties are bringing shooters to the Switch that they will want to sell (finally) (Doom, Overwatch, PvZ, Halo) and Nintendo wont want to risk canabalizing the sales of MPT against stiff competition.

Mystery Game 4 Guess is ....Style Savvy

They typically release in December on a 2 year cycle and due to their target audience don't need a long build up in the gaming Press

Kissenkopf

Nov 1, 2017
Mein Land!
I think we should get the announcement of the Direct in about 51 hours. That would be wednesday at 3pm here in Germany. That seems to be the typical time for the Direct announcement.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Feb 2019 Direct was awesome

Mario Maker 2 Reveal
BoxBoy & BoxGirl Reveal
DISNEY TSUM TSUM
Tetris 99 Shadowdrop (Still GOTY)
Astral Chain Reveal
Link's Awakening Reveal

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
While the directs have been great and I do agree that it has beem beaten several times, I meant in terms of announcement volume if we would ever get anything on that level. We never had since then like 5 or 6 major retail games announced in one go

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've had some great digital presentations like

E3 2019
E3 2014
February 2019
September 2018
E3 2013

Obviously the success of the Switch with Nintendo nailing the pacing has made the Switch era Directs the best they can be.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I'd be shocked to see MPT right now. The sequel/Reboot is still 2-3 years away at best and 3rd parties are bringing shooters to the Switch that they will want to sell (finally) (Doom, Overwatch, PvZ, Halo) and Nintendo wont want to risk canabalizing the sales of MPT against stiff competition.

They typically release in December on a 2 year cycle and due to their target audience don't need a long build up in the gaming Press

Metroid Prime are very different from games you mentioned, hardly any game can effect in any way on sales of Metroid Prime game.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Those aren't like MPT. MPT has no competition because those are very unique games.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
At least now they have a lot of games to announce. Before switch we had WiiU (lol) and the end of life of 3ds. With the same pacing as today directs would have last 3 minutes...

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Talking about the January 2013 Direct, I honestly think we've had many Directs much better than that one both in terms of genuine announcements and definitely in terms of presentaiton. It's just that the January 2013 Direct came at a time just after the Wii U fell flat on its face and people needed hope; if you actually look back and see what was announced there (especially in the context of when those games actually came out) it's sort of barebones:

Miiverse -- 00:56
Wii U Updates including Virtual Console -- 07:40

Nearly half the presentation is dedicated to OS updates, OS features, and an explanation of the Virtual Console. That would be seen as ridiculous in today's Direct formats, and the only thing like it that we've seen is the Smash Direct bolted onto the end of last year's E3.

Spring and Summer Games -- 18:30
Literally just some reminders that Game & Wario and Wii Fit U are coming without a second of gameplay for either one.

The Wonderful 101 -- 18:53
Was a good game, but ended up under-performing

Bayonetta 2 -- 20:27
Already announced, and the trailer barely showed anything.

New Super Smash Bros. -- 23:31
Again this was already announced, and nothing was shown due to it being revealed later in E3.

New Titles From Nintendo -- 24:11
3D Mario & Mario Kart announced. Pretty big announcements but no gameplay made it feel lukewarm, and the Mario announcement set up expectations that would be met with disappointment upon 3D World's actual reveal in that year's E3.

Yarn Yoshi -- 26:56
This didn't release until over 2 years later and the announcement itself was barebones as all hell.

Shin-Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem -- 27:53
This was an extremely barebones teaser that, in hindsight, did more to hurt the eventual end product than it did to help it. Setting up a serious genuine crossover only to release an Idol Culture JRPG with tenuous Fire Emblem links was a bad move.

The Legend of Zelda -- 29:21
Wind Waker HD was the only big announcement here as, like many of the previous announcements, the full Zelda reveal was just a title drop with some very basic information, and one for a game that we wouldn't receive until literally 4 years later.

Monolith Soft -- 34:01
This was a great ending but, again, the game released over 2 years after the Direct.

So, yeah, whilst the Direct had a bunch of big announcements those announcements were incredibly barebones and, in hindsight, they referred to the majority of the Wii U's big 1st party lineup, with most games coming out at least a year after the Direct. It came at a time where the Wii U desperately needed some promises, and looking at it so many years later it looked like a desperate attempt to boost sales rather than a Direct made in true confidence. There is also literally no mention of 3rd party titles, cementing that the Wii U's initially good support was a fluke.

Compare that to the Directs of the Switch era which have tons of games both 1st and 3rd party that release in the same year as the Direct itself. We're unlikely going to get a Direct which has the volume of 'major' announcements that the January 2013 had, but on the other hand literally every Direct has at least one or two of those major announcements.

Yea, thanks for going through and thorouly showing it. I've been saying these old directs weren't that great, especially not January 2013.

It's weird how things just get said, and then bought as truth over time.
shocking revelation: 2004 E3 Nintendo wasn't that great either. Included 15-20 minutes of the sales/marketing guy trying to spin GC sales as good with weird graphs

If someone does want to hold up an old direct, 2013 E3 is probably a better option.
First gameplay reveal of MK8, 3D World, Donkey Kong TF, and other stuff but I can't look right now.

edit:
the tone of this post might sound harsh.
I'm not disparaging old directs. For the time, they were useful and effective, and had charm with the speakers, and gags at times.

I pushback when I hear them compared to current presentations with zero caveats. Jan 2013 done on September 5, 2019 would get eviscerated.
Things have changed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.