• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I really disagree with GameXplain's take that the Smash Bros. Grinch leak was obviously fake. The leak seemingly originated from a place that could realistically have access to Smash Bros. assets, and even featured a never-before-seen render of the Grinch from the (at the time) unreleased film. There was also a ton of coincidences that supported it as well. It really wasn't just people wanting it to be true.

I agree with them that there probably isn't going to be a Direct anytime soon, though.

It's always easy to say something is fake after it has been proven fake or if you have direct information that it's fake. lot's of outlets didn't believed the Smash Wii U leak and that turned out to be real.

They are not going to drop Joker on twitter, that goes against everything that has happened in the past. Mario Maker 2 is not going to be advertised via influencers. Nintendo is way to controlling in how to they reveal information. So at least there is a Mario maker 2/smash direct before E3. Arms and Splatoon had their own direct and MM2 is arguably a bigger game.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I really disagree with GameXplain's take that the Smash Bros. Grinch leak was obviously fake. The leak seemingly originated from a place that could realistically have access to Smash Bros. assets, and even featured a never-before-seen render of the Grinch from the (at the time) unreleased film. There was also a ton of coincidences that supported it as well. It really wasn't just people wanting it to be true.

I agree with them that there probably isn't going to be a Direct anytime soon, though.
The leak said that there would be a smash direct that revealed 5 unique characters and 2 echoes. That on its own had no reason to believe with sakurai saying the roster would be smaller, and even before the k.rool reveal, saying just a few characters left to reveal counting echoes. That's not even taking incineroar into account.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
The leak said that there would be a smash direct that revealed 5 unique characters and 2 echoes. That on its own had no reason to believe with sakurai saying the roster would be smaller, and even before the k.rool reveal, saying just a few characters left to reveal counting echoes. That's not even taking incineroar into account.
If you really think about it, the Smash Direct did technically reveal seven unique characters and one echo fighter.

/s

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
stranger things have happened

Isaac absolutely fits into the fan-favorite selection that made up most of ultimate's base newcomers.
Isaac is also from a series that will never get any games again barring something crazy like kid icarus where someone really really wants to reboot it. Sakurai doesn't put in characters outside of retro picks that are never otherwise going to be relevant again. And he just never was at that tier of popularity as those two.

dmpillay

Mar 18, 2019
If this person said we might be getting a direct before the 15th there's not much time left. No time for a general direct unless Nintendo does something rare and do one on Monday.

I believe I've seen others also indicate something before the 15th, but they're mostly Twitter leakers shudder

Releasing a direct on a Monday out of nowhere would be a very Nintendo thing to do.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe I've seen others also indicate something before the 15th, but they're mostly Twitter leakers shudder

Releasing a direct on a Monday out of nowhere would be a very Nintendo thing to do.

We still have Sabi saying he/she? heard a Direct was coming around the 15th.

I wonder if they will announce it in the morning and we get a mini direct tomorrow night?

Usually Mini Directs are just dropped on YouTube without notice.

sammkoo

Mar 2, 2019

There wasn't just one source what said direct will be 11th April, I knew it before the Gaming Intel and I said it here 5 days before em

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I need my drug now, not 2 months later.

I can wait, there's no rush. Waiting and speculating for Directs is quite fun

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Do we need a direct now? There's loads coming out through April and May.
I'm in two minds mostly because of Mario Maker but we also don't need a Direct to learn about that game. My guess would be if we do get one then late April but there's a good chance of us getting nothing until E3

dmpillay

Mar 18, 2019
I'm in two minds mostly because of Mario Maker but we also don't need a Direct to learn about that game. My guess would be if we do get one then late April but there's a good chance of us getting nothing until E3

It's true, Mario Maker is pretty straight forward, at this point it's just announcing new items and features and that can be done in less than 5 mins at E3. But at the same time, it's a pretty big game and I'd be surprised if they didn't want to build up hype for it a bit before E3. Well at least everyone agrees, if nothing happens by next week, nothing will happen at all until E3

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Sorry if I'm being ignorant here, but are brand ambassadors people who work internally in Nintendo or just the people you see at conventions and stuff? Would they have more credibility than a random(?) source?
Brand ambassadors basically promote products through YouTube and social media - like media but with less of an emphasis on critique. No, most dont have connections but there's a chance they could form a friend with someone in Nintendo PR.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
It's true, Mario Maker is pretty straight forward, at this point it's just announcing new items and features and that can be done in less than 5 mins at E3. But at the same time, it's a pretty big game and I'd be surprised if they didn't want to build up hype for it a bit before E3. Well at least everyone agrees, if nothing happens by next week, nothing will happen at all until E3
I imagine they'll send out review copies soon to do that for them, like they did with Mario Maker 1. User generated content is how you sell Mario Maker

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Monolith Soft grew again! Another 8 people would bring them to 201 employees. It says programmers, planners and designers have joined. I love watching this company grow and now they've hit the 200 mark.

Monolith <3
So happy for the team and new members, hope they'll have a great time making some amazing experiences!

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
If we look at their E3 these past years, their E3 Direct won't focus on Summer titles. Arms, Splatoon, Mario Tennis Aces or Octopath had a minimal presence in their Showacase despite being big games. They get a focus in their tournaments and I am expecting SMM2 to have the same treatment.

Now they currently have 6 games coming this Summer (SMM2, DQB2, DxM, MUA3, FE3H and Astral Chains) + 1 this Spring (CoH). Most of them even lack a firm release date.

Given the number of games they still need to talk about, coming in the last third of the year (LM3, AC, Pokemon, Zelda, DQXIS...) and the fact that E3 is not focused on Summer titles, a Spring Direct is almost inevitable.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to hop in to say that people acting smudge and elitist about how obviously fake the grinch leak are also denying the knowledge of the many artists and workers in graphic designs who explained multiple times how it was actually very believeable with how well it was done. People saying it was obviously fake are simply ignorant of the details surrounding the thing.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Do we need a direct now? There's loads coming out through April and May.

We dont need and we could easily pass without general or Mini Direct until E3,
but thing is that we know very little for releases past May (so summer releases), add to that we need more infos on Mario Maker 2 (inluding release date) and Smash Bros update with Joker, so April Direct would be good place to handle those things with focus on May-August releases.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Starting to feel like a Mario Maker/Smash double header direct is the most likely outcome. Unfortunately with the Atlus concert we'll probably be waiting a while.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Last Direct dated games all the way to august, right before the annual September Direct.

Pretty sure Nintendo knew MM release date back in February, they're just waiting for its specific Direct. My guess is still a Mario Maker Direct + Smash trailer at the end of it.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Going to hop in to say that people acting smudge and elitist about how obviously fake the grinch leak are also denying the knowledge of the many artists and workers in graphic designs who explained multiple times how it was actually very believeable with how well it was done. People saying it was obviously fake are simply ignorant of the details surrounding the thing.
Yeah the revisionist history surrounding the Grinch leak is laughable. The only people who can credibly say they knew for sure it was fake were the insiders who knew Incineroar was in the game. Anyone claiming they could tell for sure it was fake just by looking at it is either misremembering things or spinning a yarn.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Last Direct dated games all the way to august, right before the annual September Direct.

Pretty sure Nintendo knew MM release date back in February, they're just waiting for its specific Direct. My guess is still a Mario Maker Direct + Smash trailer at the end of it.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Daemon x Machina, Super Mario Maker 2 are all Summer games that were not given a firm release date tho. (+ Cadence of Hyrule which is a Spring title).

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I never finished my Shadow Moses Island level in Mario Maker 1... would be nice to at least send over what I worked on rather than start over.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
My favourite "ambassador" slip was when during a Skyward Sword hands-on event one of the demo guys just up and said there's a "hero mode" or whatever with harder difficulty, fewer hearts, etc, all on camera to the guy playing the game. Just chatting casually about how great it'll be. Yet at the time the mode hadn't been formally announced or confirmed by Nintendo. From memory it took a good few weeks before it was.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite "ambassador" slip was when during a Skyward Sword hands-on event one of the demo guys just up and said there's a "hero mode" or whatever with harder difficulty, fewer hearts, etc, all on camera to the guy playing the game. Just chatting casually about how great it'll be. Yet at the time the mode hadn't been formally announced or confirmed by Nintendo. From memory it took a good few weeks before it was.

Didn't a similar thing happen with OoT 3D's Master Quest? I remember it was first announced by some random PR guy showing off the game, like "oh yeah, we're including Master Quest too!"

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Anyone think we may be getting a rotation of Directs in the future?

Full Nintendo Direct -> Nindies -> Nintendo Direct Mobile -> Direct Mini -> Repeat?

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
What made the Grinch leak seem fake to me was the how the "empty" battlefield background did not match the one seen at E3 last year, and that the parts that didn't match were (conveniently) all parts that were obscured by characters in the complete image. That pretty much tripped my "there's really no reasonable explanation for this other than it being fake" alarm, despite what other at the time said.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
we also know close to nothing about their two big Mario mobile games..the release schedule is getting extremely busy for Nintendo

Status
Not open for further replies.