• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

I want...

• Nintendo First Party |OT|

Votes: 12 3.1%
  • Nintendo |OT|

Votes: 37 9.6%
  • Nintendo Speculation |OT|

Votes: 160 41.7%
  • Nintendo General Discussion |OT|

Votes: 175 45.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
The general consumer isn't buying a new console just for Game Pass this holiday season. They will buy a Switch for Mario and Animal Crossing.

Nonetheless, the Series S has appeal. But the XBOX brand is really weak in Europe.

Maybe, maybe not. But I am seeing a lot of the old Nintendo S-Ranks on twitter (friends of mine) with their heads turned by a £250 next-gen system. At the end of the day we're all gamers and being able to be in next-gen by Christmas for that cheap a price is never not going to be appealing to us, as cynical as we might claim to be for next gen.

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020
Yup. In Germany the Xbox One X was €299 for the longest time whereas you had to pray for a Switch price drop to sub €300.
The Xbox has been both more powerful and cheaper than Switch for the entirety of its existence.

You guys are both right: The Xbox One has been more powerful thatn the Switch, and the Xbox One X has been at the same price than the Switch for some months, but that really is besides the point, I feel.

Switch launched when the Xbox One was already (arguably) a failure. The One X was launched not as a successor to the Xbox One but as a premium experience for h4rdc0re g4mers that either already owned an Xbox or wanted to fork over the cash to play Forza and Halo in 4K. So, yeah, even if the Xbone was both more powerful and cheaper, it's easy to see why the switch easily outsold it (it's the only portable, it had a smashing first year, all of the Nintendo franchises are available, and it's the best way to play most indies, and even some third parties). I don't think we're at that same point now.

The Series S/X is a new system, launching a new generation, and it launches in Christmas, with GamePass so you can play a massive library from day 1. The switch is still the only portable system, and that's what makes me think it might be, still, competing in a different league.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Finally. Sigma 2 on Switch will wipe away the bitter taste the Vita port left in my mouth. That framerate was one of the worst on the system and Vita games are notorious for crappy framerates.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
If google translate is accurate, it will be a "small" announcement..
Honestly I'm French and while it litteraly means "small announcement tomorow ?", we use that adjective "petite/petit" a lot of time withouth litteraly implying it is small. It's sometimes just a way of speaking ("on se fait un p'tit resto ?"lol). But it could be also just that (french can be weird lol). And I also can hardly follow the logic behind that tweet since they started this with a Zelda compilation discussion...and I don't see something Zelda related happening right now.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
You know which device has all those too? The Xbox One S, which will be even cheaper than Series S and can also be used with Gamepass.

Yes but "next gen at £250", you may mistake how appealing that is to a lot of people.

Edit -

Anecdote: my dweeb sister (who got a Switch this year for Animal Crossing) has literally just seen my tweet and said "£250!?!?!?!?!?! even I might get one!"

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are both right: The Xbox One has been more powerful thatn the Switch, and the Xbox One X has been at the same price than the Switch for some months, but that really is besides the point, I feel.

Switch launched when the Xbox One was already (arguably) a failure. The One X was launched not as a successor to the Xbox One but as a premium experience for h4rdc0re g4mers that either already owned an Xbox or wanted to fork over the cash to play Forza and Halo in 4K. So, yeah, even if the Xbone was both more powerful and cheaper, it's easy to see why the switch easily outsold it (it's the only portable, it had a smashing first year, all of the Nintendo franchises are available, and it's the best way to play most indies, and even some third parties). I don't think we're at that same point now.

The Series S/X is a new system, launching a new generation, and it launches in Christmas, with GamePass so you can play a massive library from day 1. The switch is still the only portable system, and that's what makes me think it might be, still, competing in a different league.

Sure but at least in the UK the same applies to the PS4. You've always been able to get a PS4 for a lower price than a Switch, and it's always been more powerful(obviously). If that was going to hurt the Switch it would have since the beginning of its lifecycle.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. In Germany the Xbox One X was €299 for the longest time whereas you had to pray for a Switch price drop to sub €300.
Wow really? The XBox One X was always around CHF 470.- here in Switzerland. Which is €430. But the Switch you can already get here for CHF 300.- (€275).

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, it's hard to see why you would want to buy a Switch instead of a Series S this Christmas. Unless you're looking for a handheld, or Nintendo games.
The amount of people who change their mind due to a cheaper price is tiny. Especially when kids are involved because they don't care about the price.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm still in the running for June 2021 for the next full general direct :D

I am also possibly thinking a New Nintendo Switch Direct ninja kicked in our faces about January/February if those rumors are true?

I'm hoping for some BOTW2 action in November for the Game Awards.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Switch moved 6 million units in the last quarter and now it's trouble because one model of Xbox (the weakest brand on the market right now) is cheaper than Switch in one market, and has price parity in other markets? There's no doubting that the Series S price in the UK in-particular is a great deal - especially if they throw in a free Game Pass trial (and I think, in the absence of Halo, that's what they should do). The UK is also one of Microsoft's stronger markets, so this is a good sign that Xbox will remain competitive here. But a compelling price point for one rival hardware model isn't going to spell serious trouble for Switch, nor does it guarantee serious success for Xbox. If a compelling price point alone overcame every other metric - brand recognition, software strength, market momentum - then GameCube would've been an enormous hit. In the long-run, if Microsoft can market this properly and really continue to convert people to gamepass then yeah, it should be successful. On a personal level, it's tempting purely for backwards compatibility (I still have some og Xbox and 360 games floating around here) and for gamepass. I haven't even considered a next-gen system until this morning, but it'd still be a secondary console to my Switch.

Let's not pretend success in the UK and US alone is going to be enough; Microsoft still have severe disadvantages in most continental European markets, especially versus PlayStation; Nintendo are in a strong position in Europe and in North America especially, and Nintendo are utterly and embarrassingly dominant in Japan. The advantages Nintendo already have - a seriously strong library of evergreens, continued momentum from Animal Crossing, incoming high-demand Mario games, portability and positive brand recognition for Switch - aren't going to erode overnight, or even in the next 12 months. In 2 or 3 years? Yeah, sure. But it's not as if Nintendo or Switch will be static in that time. Hell, we already know a revision and potentially a major software line-up is planned for 2021. That suggests Nintendo are serious about giving Switch another serious shot of momentum, and the momentum they gained this year is likely far higher than anything they expected (thanks to Covid-19's boost) - they clearly knew they could enter cruise control thanks to Animal Crossing and Super Mario, but I doubt they expected to hit 6 million units in an April through June quarter.

There's a big difference between saying "this could be big in the long-run" and saying "wow Switch is in trouble right now" and it's the hyperbole and lack of nuance in the latter that people reasonably object to.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I replied to you earlier but you didn't see it, isn't this shiny next-gen Xbox the same price as the Switch in Republica and, for example, France?

But, you know, next gen.

I don't know what Republica is but when i said it's more expensive i'm talking about the Series S, not compared to Switch.

But short Amazon-ing on Amazon France shows me the regular 2019 Switch at 292€ and the Lite at 192€.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
300 dollars for Xbox Series S is a very very good price.

Unfortunately next gen is not interesting enough for me yet, and currently I find more interesting games in PS5 than in XSX.

I don't know if I will jump to next gen next year or in 2022, but not now.

drunkpacman

Jun 10, 2020
Switch, series s and pc has all my bases covered for next gen I think. £249 is such a good price for a second console.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It honestly feels like some people in general (not aimed at Lyre) tend to perceive this console's performance as some sort of an on-going fluke.

It is why every time Sony and MS do anything at all, we hear voices about how Switch is in big trouble.

It's just that this board skews perception to an extreme degree because the loudest and most obnoxious voices get the most attention. There's a reason why the "Era bubble" is a thing.

Cheese&Onion

May 21, 2020
So the Xbox Series X is basically the 4k pro version of the next gen for Xbox? And the Series S is the lite version, without the souped up 4k capabilities? If I don't have a 4k TV, I can get next gen Xbox games etc for 299? Pretty decent!

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I replied to you earlier but you didn't see it, isn't this shiny next-gen Xbox the same price as the Switch in Republica and, for example, France?

But, you know, next gen.
I don't know if next gen really will have such a pull for the casual consumer without any Systemsellers.
As said in this thread akready, Nextgen will most likely sell out on release, but thats to the hardcore market that would buy it anyway.
Sure Sony has Spiderman but thats not on the cheap Xbox Series S you talk about.
Switch sold really well against the PS4 and Xbox One even though you could get those for lime 200€ or even a little cheaper pretty often (the xbox more often that the PS4)
I don't think it will be that much of a big deal, wspcecilaly when a revision is on the Horizon which will most likely come with a new wave of games.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I don't think the comparison between the Switch and Series S matters all that much; both are appealing in their own way and will perform well this holiday season. If anything, the more interesting comparison will be seeing how the current Switch model and Series S stack up against next year's Switch revision price-wise.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
More importantly, people are forgetting that Nintendo's worst enemy is still themselves. Microsoft and Sony wish they could fuck up Nintendo's business as much as they have done.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I go to sleep and then come back to find the old thread closed and this one at 23 pages already. The thirst is unstoppable.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
More importantly, people are forgetting that Nintendo's worst enemy is still themselves. Microsoft and Sony wish they could fuck up Nintendo's business as much as they have done.

cube.jpg

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Even the worst performing Nintendo system move at least something on the holidays, in fact Nintendo have to prepare after that, 2021 is the year they have to face the next gen

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I will say as someone who skipped Xbone the 299 price point on series S is very tempting alongside GamePass. It's enough to consider an impulse purchase.

Maybe I'll finally get Rare Replay lol.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't worry about giant corporations. As long as Nintendo keeps making high quality games, I will be interested in what they have to show.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I will say as someone who skipped Xbone the 299 price point on series S is very tempting alongside GamePass. It's enough to consider an impulse purchase.

Maybe I'll finally get Rare Replay lol.
Same. Switch for Nintendo/indies/handheld, Xbox Series S for GamePass (and Flight Simulator!), PS5 for my PS4 library and future Sony exclusives.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Nintendo is doing incredibly well in terms of their bottom line this year, even if us hardcore fans have been largely ignored in terms of our precious Directs

Frankly, it would be nice if there was some competition, so we can get some epic announcements, lol

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Anyway, on the Golden Sun chat - I'd still be very surprised if that franchise made a comeback. Don't get me wrong, I'd be really happy to see that happen. It's much more directly in my lane than say, another Mario Golf would be (though I do have a fondness for the GameBoy Color title thanks to the RPG mode - give me Mario Golf RPG plz Camelot - and Mario Golf on GBC is another good title for GameBoy NSO, now I think about it).

Obviously, the last Golden Sun game bombed real hard, which is one reason you'd assume it wouldn't come back. More broadly, you'd also have to say Nintendo simply don't need another RPG on Switch: it's one genre that's amply covered by third-party support and, in addition to Pokemon, Nintendo have Xenoblade and Fire Emblem as meaningful options in that genre which are going from strength to strength. That's a far cry from 20 years ago, when Fire Emblem was yet to make it outside of Japan, and Tetsuya Takahashi hadn't long since made Xenogears at Squaresoft. On top of that, at that time, Nintendo had lost most of the JRPG support it could previously count on, so partnering with a team with a reputation in that field and making an exclusive JRPG with them made a lot of sense - it covered a genre Nintendo needed (and, funnily enough, not long after Golden Sun, Nintendo would recover some of that JRPG support on GBA itself).

However. However. HOWEVER. The slightly irrational optimist in me wants to believe (read that in a Fox Mulder voice) that Golden Sun could come back. Camelot might have a bit more leverage on their next project after Mario Tennis Aces became their most successful game yet (selling over 3 million copies, I think). I don't know what contractual arrangements they have with Nintendo, but maybe Camelot are on sounder financial footing and they can afford to bring in some contractors and temps for a more ambitious project. One sad thing that's frequently marked Camelot's output this decade is a decided lack of content and that shortcoming absolutely isn't an option if they're returning to Golden Sun. It is unusual for Camelot to go so long without confirming their next title. We can assume, based on their absence from the Mario presentation, that they don't have a Mario title coming this financial year - while that doesn't rule out Mario Golf coming in the next financial year, I can see why people have taken it as an opening for Golden Sun. At best though, it's a slight opening rather than a sure sign of Psyenergy smoke.

So maybe Camelot, flush with the success of Tennis Aces, put in a good pitch. Maybe Nintendo, seeing that Switch is a strong market for JPRGs, liked the pitch and sees an opportunity for another ~2 million selling JRPG on Switch (still begs the question: do they need that when it's so well-covered otherwise?). Maybe. I'm not convinced the stars have aligned quite in that way, though I'm more open-minded about it than I would've been in the past. Personally my bet is still on Mario Golf rather than Golden Sun - as I've said, one sad factor in Camelot's output has been a lack of content, and without the base of a Wii U game to work from, there's more to do on Mario Golf, which could explain their relatively long silence. Covid-19 disruption could easily be another factor, meaning whatever project they're working on has been delayed a little (or it was simply never due this FY).

Anyway. I think Mario Golf is likelier, but I'd be open to Golden Sun returning - emphasise the Djinn system, the Psyenergy puzzles, give me some more wonderful and elaborate dungeons and a kick-ass soundtrack but please, for the love of god, have a more concise writing style.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
I don't know if next gen really will have such a pull for the casual consumer without any Systemsellers.
As said in this thread akready, Nextgen will most likely sell out on release, but thats to the hardcore market that would buy it anyway.
Sure Sony has Spiderman but thats not on the cheap Xbox Series S you talk about.
Switch sold really well against the PS4 and Xbox One even though you could get those for lime 200€ or even a little cheaper pretty often (the xbox more often that the PS4)
I don't think it will be that much of a big deal, wspcecilaly when a revision is on the Horizon which will most likely come with a new wave of games.

Look, I'm happy to admit that my "anyone is in trouble by xmas" take was overly reactionary to that, quite frankly, startling price point, but the fact that there's a next-gen Xbox launching cheaper or at parity with the Switch will, in my opinion, begin to change perceptions on the Switch's value point come next year.

Of course, we may get a price reduction next year, we may get a pro model, and we might actually get some video games again. But as someone who was very optimistic for the Pro Model, do remember that people here yesterday were making it very clear to not expect anything substantial from it, which leaves the price reduction as one of Nintendo's few moves to sustain the Switch now that third-party support has seemingly collapsed and most of their big guns (minus BotW 2, Pokemon Snap, a Wii Sports successor and Pokemon Remakes) have already released.

Remember Me

Apr 3, 2018
Spain
So the Xbox Series X is basically the 4k pro version of the next gen for Xbox? And the Series S is the lite version, without the souped up 4k capabilities? If I don't have a 4k TV, I can get next gen Xbox games etc for 299? Pretty decent!
Well, 4K, with disk driver and we'll have to see more differences once we know more. Those specs that got 'leaked' some time ago said something about Series X exclusive games. That could be something.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo's gaming business is performing to near record levels and Microsoft especially will barely lay a glove on them.
To be fair, Nintendo is doing incredibly well in terms of their bottom line this year, even if us hardcore fans have been largely ignored in terms of our precious Directs

Frankly, it would be nice if there was some competition, so we can get some epic announcements, lol

I know, I'm saying that if someone were to negatively affect the Switch's performance, it would be Nintendo themselves and not Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.