• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is 13 our luck number?

• Yes

Votes: 352 32.9%
  • No

Votes: 263 24.6%
  • Dill Spowser

Votes: 303 28.3%
  • Phoug Bencer

Votes: 152 14.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
Hypothetically, would there be upset if the MH Switch game was MH Stories 2?
The only way to not be upset with MH Stories 2 is if they drop the rock paper scissors combat and go full RPG/Pokemon, with an importance in element types (Like, I don't know, a normal MH game?) and weapon types (To not have only 1 weapon type in the entire game).
I really liked the first one, but the combat was so dull that I dropped it.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Jeff Grubb was the one who knew about the last Mini in March coming up.
What did he say about it back then?
It was pretty long for a mini with half an hour of runtime, almost as if it was a general that they removed content from.
Every insider so far has shown they don't know about the branding, just about parts of the content and its general length (big or not).
Grubb didn't even entertain the idea of a Mini until people here reminded him it was a thing.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

zim_ek

Feb 18, 2019
Yep. I almost wanna bank on it being Tokyo Game Show.. but in the current landscape of game development I wont :P

huh, TGS could be interesting

The only way to not be upset with MH Stories 2 is if they drop the rock paper scissors combat and go full RPG/Pokemon, with an importance in element types (Like, I don't know, a normal MH game?) and weapon types (To not have only 1 weapon type in the entire game).
I really liked the first one, but the combat was so dull that I dropped it.

i want to pick this up on my 3ds! definitely after the Capcom announcement tho

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
www.gematsu.com

Falcom to reveal information on next title in August 27-due issue of Weekly Famitsu

Falcom will announce first details on its next title in the August 27-due issue of Weekly Famitsu, this week’s issue teases.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, i wonder if this will tie into the Nintendo Direct...

Spoiler:

It will be PS4, PS5. Maybe even Vita. It won't be Switch, or any other platform.

It might be any other platform (at least PC / Switch) the moment NISA get's their hands on it.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Direct predictions:

Opener: Super Mario 3D All-Stars (September 2020)
Super Mario 3D World Deluxe (December 2020)
Pokemon Snap ( Spring 2021)
No More Heroes (September 2020)
No More Heroes 3 (delayed till 2021)
Demon's Souls (Port) (October 2020)
Sizzle-reel (Bethesda, Capcom, Ubisoft)
End of Direct: Smash (Its Master Chief)
One last thing: BOTW2 trailer and release date announced (Spring 2021)

Demon Souls is a Sony owned game so that won't be ported to Switch.

Also don't think Master Chief is gonna be a Smash Character.

Otherwise I can it happen.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
As a Zelda fan who struggled through the whole cycle of waiting for BotW information, for some reason I feel like we're more likely to get information on Botw 2 in this Direct than usual. I think with the first game we got a clip half a year out of the original announcement, then a super small clip about a year after the first announcement. So if we go by the development time of the first one we're actually do some kind of trailer, albeit probably a 5 second one like the ones for botw 1. Granted, things are a lot different now and looking at precedent doesn't usually tell us much when predicting this kind of stuff, but I think I will lock down that there will be SOME kind of info on the game. Now I wish I had the same confidence in 2d Metroid and my two biggest wishes would come true.
I agree we see something soon, and I honestly think that in addition to Zelda, 2D Metroid is likely to get revealed soon.

When it comes to Zelda, I don't think the reveal to release showings for Breath of the Wild show us a huge amount, other than the key fact Nintendo normally provide updates on Zelda titles even when the development is lengthy (it was a similar case for Twilight Princess, which had trailers at E3 2004, GDC 2005, E3 2005, and E3 2006). I think whatever Nintendo show next will be a bit more substantial. The question remains whether that's in the next Direct or whether it's saved for the Game Awards or a Direct which happens late this year.

As for 2D Metroid, there've been rumours it's coming, it's one of Nate's predictions for a reveal, and the person who'd leaked Samus Returns itself said another 2D Metroid game entered development in late 2017. We know from the Metroid producer, Yoshio Sakomoto, than he wanted to make a new 2D game with MercurySteam, the developers of Samus Returns, and Samus Returns had new story scenes integrated which indicated where the 2D series might go next (in pursuit of some militaristic Chozo faction). Given the smoke and given we're potentially looking at ~3 years of development time elapsing soon, I think 2D Metroid is a decent shout for the next Direct with a 2021 release.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
.... I would totally get this.
I mean yeah it could be cool, but not if it's not what you were expecting.
Anyway, back to Monster Hunter, I think it would rub people the wrong way when they got new handheld Monster Hunter for years on 3DS but now after so much absence that's the first thing they get after an unexciting, even very late localized, 3DS port.
Think of how Metroid fans reacted to Federation Force which I still think was not a bad game (it did have an ugly artstyle though).
There was no mainline game for years and that's the first thing got.
Monster Hunter Stories probably still has a bigger audience though.
I can see the reaction be positve if they do it like Nintendo announced Metroid Samus Returns.
Frist showed that a new HD title was in development and then showed that 2D Remake will come too.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People have to realize Jeff Grubb May have different sources. I don't know what sources he has, but he seems to be late to the party compared to Nate and Zell with the indies and now a direct next week. Maybe Nate and Zell have first party sources that know of certain games in a direct and Jeff doesn't.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
It's Falcom so it won't be.
I don't belive so either, but wasn't YsVIII still the best performing version of the game (saleswise lol)?
I guess they'll still hand over finding someone to port the games to NISA, but they can't be blind to the sales can they?
I mean Jpan is the Handheld country aren't they kinda blind to their homemarket? Or is their weird PLaystation loyalty blinding them so much?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't belive so either, but wasn't YsVIII still the best performing version of the game (saleswise lol)?
I guess they'll still hand over finding someone to port the games to NISA, but they can't be blind to the sales can they?
I mean Jpan is the Handheld country aren't they kinda blind to their homemarket? Or is their weird PLaystation loyalty blinding them so much?

The head of Falcom actively downplayed the sales of Ys 8.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

Japanese thirds and strange decisions especially considering Japan isn't some rare thing. If i might to exaggerate a bit, it's basically business as usual.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
And they followed that up with Ys IX coming to Switch two years after the PS4 version.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, back to Monster Hunter, I think it would rub people the wrong way when they got new handheld Monster Hunter for years on 3DS but now after so much absence that's the first thing they get after an unexciting, even very late localized, 3DS port.
Think of how Metroid fans reacted to Federation Force which I still think was not a bad game (it did have an ugly artstyle though).
There was no mainline game for years and that's the first thing got.
Monster Hunter Stories probably still has a bigger audience though.
I'd actually take a MH4U port. It's the only mainline game that never got the console treatment, and it's good enough to stand up by itself even now.

...but there would still need to be a promise of a new game coming at some point.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
People have to realize Jeff Grubb May have different sources. I don't know what sources he has, but he seems to be late to the party compared to Nate and Zell with the indies and now a direct next week. Maybe Nate and Zell have first party sources that know of certain games in a direct and Jeff doesn't.
Jeff already said most of his sources are third party only yeah, his last direct info was coming from that.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's safe not to get too carried away with first party announcements in this upcoming direct. I would think of it as February 2019. We got 5 new game announcements

-Tetris 99
-Links Awakening
-Astral Chain
-Super Mario Maker 2
-Box Boy + Box Girl
-Fire Emblem Three Houses
-Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
-Yoshi's Crafted World

But also Nintendo had games announced to go over like Fire Emblem and Marvel. We don't really have that first party wise so we could get 6 announcements.

As some have said it should be taking pieces from E3 announcements and pieces from a traditional September direct imagine, especially when we've gone a full year without a general direct.

if we get 7-9 announcements/new trailers id guess

-Super Mario 3D Collection
-Super Mario 3D World
-Metroid 5
-Splatoon spin-off
-Kirby
-Pokemon Snap
-Switch Online Mario games/etc
-BotW 2
-new eshop game
-EPD 4 game or Ring Fit Adventure content (they've had a game every year for Switch)

Jan 26, 2019
WOW... after all the "leaks" the hype and the optimism breath of the wild 2 was not announced yesterday in the direct as promised MULTIPLE times... i have finally had it. i am done with the fake promises and LIES... i am selling my switch and taking my business elsewhere. sorry nintendo. no more part of my 6 figure income for you... maybe that will FINALLY make you feel how you have made us fans FEEL... goodbye. JK, replying for hidden content.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
It's safe not to get too carried away with first party announcements in this upcoming direct. I would think of it as February 2019. We got 5 new game announcements

-Tetris 99
-Links Awakening
-Astral Chain
-Super Mario Maker 2
-Box Boy + Box Girl
-Yoshi's Crafted World

But also Nintendo had games announced to go over like Fire Emblem and Marvel. We don't really have that first party wise so we could get 6 announcements.

As some have said it should be taking pieces from E3 announcements and pieces from a traditional September direct imagine, especially when we've gone a full year without a general direct.

-Super Mario 3D World
-Metroid 5
-Splatoon spin-off
-BotW 2
-new eshop game
-EPD 4 game or Ring Fit Adventure content
Mmhm. Agreed. It should hopefully be the best show for unannounced first-party titles for a while, given it's been so long since Nintendo actually made multiple announcements in the same event. I'd say new Kirby is a good shot, and I want to believe that Detective Club's localisation gets confirmed too. I think a release date or window for New Pokemon Snap will feature, too - though I guess there's always the possibility we get another Pokemon presentation soon.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd actually take a MH4U port. It's the only mainline game that never got the console treatment, and it's good enough to stand up by itself even now.

...but there would still need to be a promise of a new game coming at some point.

MH4U is still my favourite entry so I'd definitely be in for that as well.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeff already said most of his sources are third party only yeah, his last direct info was coming from that.
This makes a lot more sense now.

Mmhm. Agreed. It should hopefully be the best show for unannounced first-party titles for a while, given it's been so long since Nintendo actually made multiple announcements in the same event. I'd say new Kirby is a good shot, and I want to believe that Detective Club's localisation gets confirmed too. I think a release date or window for New Pokemon Snap will feature, too - though I guess there's always the possibility we get another Pokemon presentation soon.
I did forget Pokémon Snap and Kirby being possibilities. Nintendo forgot about DC being localized though. 😛

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

-Tetris 99
-Links Awakening
-Astral Chain
-Super Mario Maker 2
-Box Boy + Box Girl
-Yoshi's Crafted World

-Super Mario 3D World
-Metroid 5
-Splatoon spin-off
-Kirby
-Pokemon Snap
-BotW 2
-new eshop game
-EPD 4 game or Ring Fit Adventure content (they've had a game every year for Switch)
I just want to be excited about a Nintendo game again.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao I realized in my post I say to not get too carried away and talk about 5 announcements. Then I say 6 announcements. Then I say 7-9 announcements. Then I listed 10 announcements.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Spoiler:

It will be PS4, PS5. Maybe even Vita. It won't be Switch, or any other platform.

It might be any other platform (at least PC / Switch) the moment NISA get's their hands on it.

It hurts because it's one of my dreams for a Legend of Heroes (Kiseki Series) collection on Switch.... I guess it's just one more reason to have my Vita around.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
The head of Falcom actively downplayed the sales of Ys 8.
Japanese thirds and strange decisions especially considering Japan isn't some rare thing. If i might to exaggerate a bit, it's basically business as usual.
And they followed that up with Ys IX coming to Switch two years after the PS4 version.
I guess I'm just overly optimistic lol.
I just don't understand their weird brand loyalty that seems to hold them back int the end.
I would get if there still was another Handheld, but Sony dropped out of the Market, this is all just so weird.

Yeah that makes sense, Nate or Captain were really quiet around the time of the March mini weren't they?
Though we didn't have Cap here until recently again.
So this would all fit for why they didn't know much about March because there wasn't much first party in there and with why Grubb talked about this August one only so recently.
But having different people with different sources is good, makes the info much much more believable.

Jul 31, 2020
dwaynewide.png

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I just want a good Direct again. The September 2019 one was bad and the last Mini wasn't exciting either.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London

-Tetris 99
-Links Awakening
-Astral Chain
-Super Mario Maker 2
-Box Boy + Box Girl
-Yoshi's Crafted World

-Super Mario 3D World
-Metroid 5
-Splatoon spin-off
-Kirby
-Pokemon Snap
-BotW 2
-new eshop game

Can you clarify (1) how you define numbers and (2) how you define announcements? Fire Emblem, for example, was first shown in 2018.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017

Lol Falcom are loyal to Sony.

They would rather go bankrupt than support the switch themselves. So NIS is the move these days for the switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand their weird brand loyalty that seems to hold them back int the end.
I would get if there still was another Handheld, but Sony dropped out of the Market, this is all just so weird.

Yeah that makes sense, Nate or Captain were really quiet around the time of the March mini weren't they?
Though we didn't have Cap here until recently again.
So this would all fit for why they didn't know much about March because there wasn't much first party in there and with why Grubb talked about this August one only so recently.
But having different people with different sources is good, makes the info much much more believable.
I agree it makes it better knowing they have different sources and they can come to the same conclusion.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I think the amount of information we get for BotW 2 will depend on their planned release date:

March 2021: Trailer + Treehouse Segment later.
June 2021: Small teaser + Game Awards Trailer + Threehouse Segments early next year.
Holidays 2021: Nothing now + Trailer Game Awards + E3 Trailer + Treehouse Segments

Statux

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I downloaded Rive Ultimate Edition last night and man, what a great little game. Twin stick shooter with a Metroidvania twist, just what I needed. I feel bad for only paying 1,5 euro for it lol

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'm doing my usual morning procrastination reading, and I didn't realise that, in 2011, Nintendo of America actively pushed for Zelda to receive an anniversary compilation of past releases. The original source is in Japanese, but Kotaku reported on it in June 2011. Actually, here's a snippet from the English translation of the Iwata Asks:
Miyamoto: Sure. Last year, for the twenty-fifth anniversary of Super Mario Bros., we did a number of special things, like make the Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition package. This year is the twenty-fifth anniversary of The Legend of Zelda, but we thought making a similar special commemorative package—only green for The Legend of Zelda—wouldn't be anything new.

Iwata: NOA (Nintendo of America) did suggest a special The Legend of Zelda package.

Miyamoto: Yes. But doing the same thing two years in a row isn't very like Nintendo.

Iwata: Yeah. You and I both responded that way to that idea in separate discussions.
As you can see, Nintendo decided against an anniversary compilation in 2011 because they'd already done that in 2010 for Mario's release. Now obviously, decision-making this time isn't going to rest on Iwata and Miyamoto - Aonuma will likely have a big say in what happens. You'd also have to assume that one reason NCL didn't go for an anniversary package at that point in time was because Ocarina 3D and Skyward Sword were both on the way to releasing in 2011. I'm not sure what this tells us about any hypothetical anniversary package for Zelda. The fact Nintendo are doing a compilation of the 3D Mario titles is an interesting step, and it'll be the first time in a decade they've done a new compilation (they did re-release Mario All-Stars as a disc release in 2010, one year after Prime Trilogy). The only Zelda compilation that's ever happened (as far as I know) is the GameCube disc which contained Zelda, Adventure of Link, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask.

Compilations are pretty rare for Nintendo, so maybe this new Mario collection is a sign of some change in their thinking and is related to what Emily described as their 'ultimate goal' - making as much of their legacy content as possible available in HD. We did have the Captain hinting (yesterday? the day before?) that'd we'd see the other 3D Zelda titles on Switch, but I don't take that as a concrete hint at a compilation.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
It hurts because it's one of my dreams for a Legend of Heroes (Kiseki Series) collection on Switch.... I guess it's just one more reason to have my Vita around.

Well, i'd say future ones are a safe bet if NISA keeps handling the localizations, same for a PC release. The earlier ones though, that's on XSEED so i wouldn't get my hopes up.

Without joke, if there was another portable from Sony, basically the same as Switch just with a different brand logo on it, you wouldn't believe how many "miracle" portable ports would suddenly appear.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you clarify (1) how you define numbers and (2) how you define announcements? Fire Emblem, for example, was first shown in 2018.
I was kind of rambling on lol. I meant to say Nintendo had previously announced games that got new trailers or deep dives like a Fire Emblem, Marvel and Yoshi. We don't have that this time for the upcoming direct. Well I guess Pikmin 3 could get a new trailer. So because of that I can see more new first party title announcements in this possible direct compared to February 2019.

Mar 26, 2020
You know, a few months ago I was joking about Nintendo wanting to keep the track record and not release any full Direct until September 4th to mark a year.

I really should have kept my goddamn mouth shut lmao

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess in the end it depends on our taste. We all know how varied our tastes are when it comes to Nintendo fans.
Which is exactly what makes me skeptical. I don't care for Zelda, the Mario collection is nice but it seems to supposedly have some strange decisions to it. So at the moment the only games I personally have to look forward to are Bravely Default 2 and No More Heroes 3. I already doubt that we'll see anything Bayonetta or Metroid in the next direct so I'm just expecting to be largely uninterested in what is shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.