• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Direct Predictions

• Any Metroid

Votes: 233 22.3%
  • BOTW2/SSHD

Votes: 372 35.5%
  • Mario 3D All Stars

Votes: 632 60.4%
  • Splatoon Spin-Off

Votes: 102 9.7%
  • Wii U Port

Votes: 475 45.4%
  • Smash DLC

Votes: 412 39.4%
  • New IP

Votes: 146 13.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2019
This was a rough Direct TBH. Puyo Puyo Tetris and Taiko aren't bad, but like, they aren't going to carry enough weight for most people I feel. At least the last Partner showcase had SMT to lean heavily on, but now we're a month and a half removed with nothing else to really show for it after months of continued silence from Nintendo on just about everything. This Partner Direct was doomed beyond belief TBH.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
I like plotwists, this is now canon.
1598456074-plottwist.jpg

GravyFingerz

Feb 5, 2019
SoCal
Even though I'm bummed that we didn't get a general, I'm grateful to the insiders and other members for allowing me to share in the hype and hope of a direct. Hope September provides something more substantial.

Oct 25, 2017

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
At this point, there's very little I'm willing to buy off this site's cabal of insiders.

Twice now they've gotten this site and more all hyped up with "no guys it's a general I swear really". Legitimately I don't think these partner directs would be taken half as poorly if it wasn't for them spinning such a big portion of the Nintendo fandom into a tizzy before both of them.

Because these guys hyped up something they had no concrete idea about, we literally had Nintendo Direct trending on Twitter the other day. Sure, maybe they got their lines twisted and assumed things too soon back in July. But to have pretty much the same exact thing happen here, a month later? Whatever info they're being fed, it's clearly not enough for them to be so gung-ho as to get a large swath of online Nintendo enthusiasts all twisted up about it.

At this point, the only reason I'm still buying Mario 3D Collection as a legitimate thing and not the next Star Fox Grand Prix is the almost-universal agreement from major sites and others about it's existence. Seeing as how twice now the leaps in logic have been "big direct at the end of summer + an announcement this week = this is the one guys", I don't see "classic mario games are coming to Switch + 35th anniversary = big 3D mario collection" as that much further of a stretch than the oops-all-partners directs they hyped people up for.

In the end I think the feeling I have most is that "I'm not mad, just disappointed" feeling. On some level these insiders clearly have info, and I appreciate them greatly for trying to share it with us. But at the same time it feels like their own desperation for news is creeping into the info they share with us, and it's poisoning the waters with undue hype and expectations and making these already-disappointing directs even more so. All the cryptic hints and hidden contents and throwing-people-off-their-trails-with-fake-dante-hints gives the impression they know way more than they actually do.

At this point I'd say the best course of action is to assume any hyped up announcements or things aren't going to be as big as promised until proven otherwise. Personally I think they either need to be more open with us about the information they actually have, or really just not bother at all.

At the very least I hope that we won't be seeing a repeat of the same kind of thing again come September, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting the same rigamarole to start all over again.

pbjMatts

Mar 11, 2020
This thread really descended into chaos over night... also that Partner Showcase was terrible. At least the first one had SMT 5, even if I'm not interested.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried to tell you there was a reason I wasn't banned. Last time I tried to play nice and took a self request banned and we got a partners. This time I didn't get banned and we got a partners again.

Caladbolg

Jun 19, 2019
Nintendo's marketing.....I wonder who the genius is that came up with splitting up these announcements and thought it was a great idea. Is there really any benefit to splitting up the announcements?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Oh well, this year is just gonna be a wash for Nintendo. Definitely thier worst year ever in my eyes, but there is good reason for that. I've lost hope in anything noteworthy being announced at this point. On to 2021

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Oh well, i'm off for today. Gotta make room in the Hype Limo. Cap and Nate, everything is fine, we won't stop appreciating you guys.

Try to keep the thread under 100 pages until i'm back tomorrow.

SofyTrancy

Aug 3, 2020
Nate heard Mario collection was being announced this week and third party games so he assumed it would be one direct.
Ok then why the 28th? And he heard ONLY about Mario and generic third party?
Because Kelios said BDII and never said that the date was wrong.
I mean, Nate's source have said to him "the third party I was talking about were in the partner showcase"? Or not?
Because if not... Maybe the third party he was talking about are others games and Friday will still be the day

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The grey thing little Max was playing with in the photo (that a friend so graciously turned into an illustration), was my Xbox 360 headset after he chewed through it while I was playing GRAW way back when. The morphball was an addition in the run up to Metroid Prime 3. Putting the 'RTX ON' tag on an illustration version of the avatar struck me as funny. I hope to have reason to put the morphball back soon.

that's a cute little backstory behind your avatar :3

and maybe we'll get Metroid Prime 4 news next year! (I hope...)

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
Yall should probably realize that Nintendo will be conceding the holidays over to the two giant new platforms that are coming up right? Even with Mario Collection and Braverly Default II, I don't see a way Nintendo will win the holiday season over any of the two upcoming platforms.

If Mario Collection isn't announced by the end of next week, it ain't happening and we probably won't be getting any major Nintendo news until The Game Awards. 35th-anniversary initiative is probably dead, so the question is how will Nintendo market what are essentially ports for older titles as a big holiday release worthy of competing versus new PS5 and XSX releases? That's probably what's causing a hold-up outside of CODVID-19 delays.

Also, regarding Insiders, maybe it's a bit too much to ask for them to reveal but could it be smart to state around how long ago you recieved select information? It's understandable to see how quickly plans can change if we have a general timeframe in which we can base it out of in my opinion. (Though I'd understand if this could be used to track down source)

Vexieal

Apr 30, 2020
Oh well, this year is just gonna be a wash for Nintendo. Definitely thier worst year ever in my eyes, but there is good reason for that. I've lost hope in anything noteworthy being announced at this point. On to 2021
Nintendo has just been dead this year yeah. So glad I got a gaming PC at the start of lockdown.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Yall should probably realize that Nintendo will be conceding the holidays over to the two giant new platforms that are coming up right? Even with Mario Collection and Braverly Default II, I don't see a way Nintendo will win the holiday season over any of the two upcoming platforms.

If Mario Collection isn't announced by the end of next week, it ain't happening and we probably won't be getting any major Nintendo news until The Game Awards. 35th-anniversary initiative is probably dead, so the question is how will Nintendo market what are essentially ports for older titles as a big holiday release worthy of competing versus new PS5 and XSX releases? That's probably what's causing a hold-up outside of CODVID-19 delays.

Also, regarding Insiders, maybe it's a bit too much to ask for them to reveal but could it be smart to state around how long ago you recieved select information? It's understandable to see how quickly plans can change if we have a general timeframe in which we can base it out of in my opinion. (Though I'd understand if this could be used to track down source)

The Switch will outsell PS5 and XSC this holiday.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
An announcement for 11pm is possible ?

what!?
no.

what is possible is the following:

- Twitter / PR announcement for Mario All Star Collection on Friday
- General TGS-bound Direct announced for mid September
- A Partner showcase per month until the end of the year (with the possible expection of September, if we'll have a General Direct as I suppose)

I am no insider*

Deleted member 70647

User requested account closure
Banned
May 31, 2020
Also it pays to be jaded because I didn't really feel any negative emotions when this was announced lol. Felt nothing much at all really, pretty normal day.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
So, I guess the only hope for this thread is a Mario announcement on Friday, which I'm not really sure I believe either. I'm kind of sick of being burned tbh.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
Ok then why the 28th? And he heard ONLY about Mario and generic third party?
Because Kelios said BDII and never said that the date was wrong.
I mean, Nate's source have said to him "the third party I was talking about were in the partner showcase"? Or not?
Because if not... Maybe the third party he was talking about are others games and Friday will still be the day
I believe he expects one third party game to be announced Friday, but nothing major, and Mario Collection's announcement is pushed to September.

FreshToucan

Feb 11, 2020
Canada
They gotta show off their holiday plan soon enough. I really think something will happen before october. They have to get their stuff to stores at some point. People start holiday shopping in september/october. Let's all wait just a little more. We came this far anyway.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I think people need to take a step back and appreciate that we've (basically) known when every direct is coming, at least down to the week.

Even that midnight announcement for the following morning, we were told about.

Nintendo Directs don't happen without us knowing about it, even their attempts at shadow dropping.

As far as inside information goes, that's worth something right?

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just woke up. Sorry for you guys. I know you were hyped for it.

itsric

Aug 1, 2020
I'm just gonna hook up my Wii U and play 64/Sunshine/Galaxy again just so I don't feel like my dreams were broken

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it on this forum before, and it's worth repeating now.

There is no such thing as a Nintendo Insider. Not really. It's been proven over and over and over again.

So if you keep that in mind and understand that, it will help you to pre-frame expectations and keep the toxicity out of your body.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
With how bad 2020 has been I really hope 2021 doesn't open with a Switch Pro announcement followed by a bunch of exclusives for the pro. I think I'd die from wtf overloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.