• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Direct Predictions

• Any Metroid

Votes: 233 22.3%
  • BOTW2/SSHD

Votes: 372 35.5%
  • Mario 3D All Stars

Votes: 632 60.4%
  • Splatoon Spin-Off

Votes: 102 9.7%
  • Wii U Port

Votes: 475 45.4%
  • Smash DLC

Votes: 412 39.4%
  • New IP

Votes: 146 13.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
After playing the demo, I always thought it could be a 2021 title.

Same, plus the lack of any information afterward, and the fact they said they had a lot of things to fix. But people still think it's 2020 here given a fiscal year report. Although I feel like this Direct really should've dispelled that thought given all the new stuff was announced for December, like at this point, when would Nintendo even have the time to promote the game?

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Last partner showcase at least had the Cadence of Hyrule DLC and SMT stuff. This one has nothing of substance on its own which only hurts the announced games. They are honestly throwing third-parties under the bus.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is the last time I believe an insider that is not ZhugeEX or the likes. It's clear those all other insiders have the same sources which are clearly not that reliable.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
It's sad that those were announced in a presentation that people will just mass dislike just because it's not a General Direct :/
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 was a good surprise that I didn't saw coming !

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it either. I figured it would just be a one-off. Can't wait to try it out!

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
User Threadbanned (3 days): Antagonising other users
PSA: Buck Bumble Remake is releasing on the Switch this Friday.

If I'm wrong I'm just going to tell you that plans change bud.

donpiano

Nov 15, 2017
Nintendo doesn't actually exist, it was a conjecture of our collective consciousness but 2020 snapped us back into the crude reality.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not insiders fault. Captain's sources have always been great. It just goes to show how much Nintendo is changing around on the go.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
is a 4k Switch even possible?
There are no streaming apps on the switch to take advantage of it, and playing games at that resolution seems like a really tall order for a portable machine right now.

I can totally see an improved display with hdr support though.
without joking imo it will be able to output 4k but it wont be viable for actual gameplay, but they could do 4K UI or videos.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Same. Between my backlog on Switch/PS4/PC, I've got plenty to play, so I'm not worried about it.

Your avatar without the morph ball looks weird.

Anyway, that's the smart play: don't invest yourself in rumors or you'll be more disappointed than not.
The grey thing little Max was playing with in the photo (that a friend so graciously turned into an illustration), was my Xbox 360 headset after he chewed through it while I was playing GRAW way back when. The morphball was an addition in the run up to Metroid Prime 3. Putting the 'RTX ON' tag on an illustration version of the avatar struck me as funny. I hope to have reason to put the morphball back soon.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
You're normally not like this, Arkanim!
it's called reading the room.

those partner showcase really feel like they are made to pan out the content of 2 normal direct for as much time as possible, and with the rumors about a new console from reputable sources it easy to guess why they are doing this.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I guess I'm only trusting Grubb from now on.

Grubb was frankly wrong here, too, though he was always a bit more cautious to begin with.

Again, I don't think any of the insiders are 'fake' or 'phony' or whatever else trolls call them. They're all good, fun people who have been proven time and time again to know stuff. But I definitely think we as a community need to reevaluate how we treat their words as the word of god.

RealPopche

Aug 1, 2020
Nintendo's kind of in a tricky spot, cause they gotta showcase the games coming, they owe it to their partners, and this is their primary venue for doing so. But there's such a hype culture around Nintendo Directs, anything that isn't a first-party showcase gets a response like.. well, like this. They're not gonna wanna lose the branding though, the whole point is to leverage the hype and attachment people have for them, but I dunno if they understand the blowback they get.

It's weird!! But probably mostly just exacerbated this time around by E3 evaporating. I bet in a normal year we'd be fine with parner directs. Mostly.

Well the problem is not solely the fans' expectations. This is the way they choose to communicate with us, they could just announce Partner/Indie Directs several days or a week prior to their releases. This way, they can spare a lot of the hate as their fans(including us) are going crazy speculating about anything Nintendo due to the lack of communication on their end.

I am aware of their perspective and the business side of things, but is it really hard to straight out announce that a Partner/Indie Showcase (and not a General/Mini first-party Direct) is going to happen in a few days?

GreenKing1979

Aug 1, 2020
I agree. The evergreens are so strong for the Switch. But as well as they'll do this Winter, I doubt it will be enough for the Switch to do well against the new consoles. But that's just my guess. Maybe they'll do a price drop or some pack-in deals
At best I can see Nintendo doing Switch/Lite bundles with a "free" download code of MK8D, similar to what they did last year. With the Switch and its games selling so well, I don't see any price cuts or big deals happening.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Welp. Lesson learned. From now on I'm expecting a partner direct every month, just to be safe.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
I woke up and immediately had to come check the thread because I knew the disappointment would be palpable.

The direct didn't have anything of interest for me which is mildly disappointing but, eh, there will be another one eventually that does have something of interest.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really hope the next thread is a Lightning Returns reference

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I don't see any indication that there still can't be something on the 28th.

Oct 28, 2019
Well the problem is not solely the fans' expectations. This is the way they choose to communicate with us, they could just announce Partner/Indie Directs several days or a week prior to their releases. This way, they can spare a lot of the hate as their fans(including us) are going crazy speculating about anything Nintendo due to the lack of communication on their end.

Yes, I am aware of their business perspective, but is it really hard to straight out announce that a Partner/Indie Showcase is going to happen in a few days?

It's all by design, they fucking love half the internet doing the marketing for them.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I wonder where the 28th date came from? I am sure most people don't get their knowledge from the same source

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Everyone, please do not harass insiders. They get enough shit as it and things change all the time. Take a deep breath, step away for a while, do whatever you gotta do. But don't spread hate because things didn't pan out how you wanted them to.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I bet the Captain is kicking himself that his self-requested account closure didn't go through lol.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Gamescom gamescom gamescom gamecom!

Sorry, I'm just a big fan of the tiger electronics handheld.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Darn. This is almost Wii U levels of drought. So thirsty.

But I am somewhat excited for that FF Legend Collection.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
It's not insiders fault. Captain's sources have always been great. It just goes to show how much Nintendo is changing around on the go.

How i unironically imagine Nintendo rn
:
GreatUncomfortableAruanas-size_restricted.gif

Nov 15, 2018
I haven't really paid attention to these direct threads, but if "insiders" are continuously spreading wrong information, shouldn't they be blacklisted on this forum? Not saying they should be harassed or even banned, but there should be a list that lets everyone know so that it's not just an endless cycle of trolls trolling the ignorant. That hotgirls source was banned after getting something wrong, same with some websites, so I expect the same courtesy for the other insiders.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Nate's next podcast is gonna go hard on Nintendo

Nate can go in on Nintendo all he wants. But I'm sure he'll have to bring up how he could have been so confident about things he ended up getting wrong. Not specifics of course. But it's clear that his information is either bad or it's vague and he is inferring way too much about the info he has been given.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
You know we only have ourselves to blame... rule number 1 clearly states that General Directs only happen in the first 2 weeks of a month.

Rule number 1.

Literally the very first rule!

spicynun

Jul 19, 2020
I think the biggest problem with announcing games shortly before they release is if they are delayed then the announcement is delayed as well, which just leads to long periods of silence. I would prefer a delay announcement over silence. At least then I actually know the game exists. I honestly think that might be what is happening at least if the Mario 3D collection is real

Status
Not open for further replies.