• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Direct Predictions

• Any Metroid

Votes: 233 22.3%
  • BOTW2/SSHD

Votes: 372 35.5%
  • Mario 3D All Stars

Votes: 632 60.4%
  • Splatoon Spin-Off

Votes: 102 9.7%
  • Wii U Port

Votes: 475 45.4%
  • Smash DLC

Votes: 412 39.4%
  • New IP

Votes: 146 13.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't believe in a September game cause it didn't make sense. I now believe we will get Mario Collection in Nov and maaaaybe Bravely Default II in Dec and that will be Nintendo's line up for the year.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, and I can't believe I have to say this, but stop with the whole "I'm done listening to insiders" bullshit. The ones here are not lying to get attention, as some seem to absurdly imply. Their sources were wrong (or lied to them) or plans changed.
Mods need to come down hard on these people who are now reveling and what to get on insiders. They go out of their way for us.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
All hail the Switch Plus in 2021. With the launch lineup of Mario 3D Collection, Star Fox Grand Prix, Bayonetta 3, Metroid 5, and BotW 2.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
My only optimism is a mid September Partner Showcase where they will reveal MH Switch. That's it.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Grubb's cautious approach to all of this, especially after the March mini, is the mindset we all need to adopt. You just can't get hyped about things that Nintendo hasn't officially announced because who really knows what's going on behind the scenes.
The problem is that we can only be so cautious until we start asking what's going on.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Can anyone fill me in on what all happened last night? I see that ZhugeEx and Grubb were tweeting, but what else did I miss?

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
It hurts man

but we must stay vigilant and ever hopeful in an overcompensating way

and believe that on Friday the 3D Mario Collection will be announced on Twitter

along with Super Mario RPG shadow dropped on NSO

and Bakugan
I'm in the mindset that until next year Nintendo will just drop game announcements on Twitter.

3AM

Nov 19, 2017
Mario's anniversary is in September. Big directs are often in September.

I've tried not to be a naysayer because I know people like to get excited whenever a leaker gives us a date but September has always been the much, much likelier place for the big Direct to take place.

Jqui

Jul 31, 2020
Again, and I can't believe I have to say this, but stop with the whole "I'm done listening to insiders" bullshit. The ones here are not lying to get attention, as some seem to absurdly imply. Their sources were wrong (or lied to them) or plans changed.
This needs to be threadmarked

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if I ask NateDrake but even if there's no Direct on Friday is it still possible that the Mario 3D Collection is announced on Friday (like we've seen with Paper Mario and Pikmin) or do you doubt it at this point?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
That SaGa collection is insulting as hell. Square want to make money on Switch without even a little bit effort. No remasters of DS games just the horribly aged Game Boy games.

A huge FUCK YOU from me to Square.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's kind of in a tricky spot, cause they gotta showcase the games coming, they owe it to their partners, and this is their primary venue for doing so. But there's such a hype culture around Nintendo Directs, anything that isn't a first-party showcase gets a response like.. well, like this. They're not gonna wanna lose the branding though, the whole point is to leverage the hype and attachment people have for them, but I dunno if they understand the blowback they get.

It's weird!! But probably mostly just exacerbated this time around by E3 evaporating. I bet in a normal year we'd be fine with parner directs. Mostly.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
So what's the lesson here? Stop putting all your eggs in the proverbial basket. The next time we hear of a Direct coming, set your expectations very low. Clearly insiders here, and on Twitter, don't ever get enough info from their sources to accurately hint at both date/time of a Direct and the content in it (in this case, most insiders missed both). So just assume everything's a small Mini or that it doesn't exist at all.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
At this point I genuinely am just going to write off the rest of the year, and whatever games and announcements do come will be a pleasant surprise. At this point, only really expecting Pikmin 3 DX and maybe the Mario ports.

It's wise to only expect what's already announced in any year, but especially in this year. Let anything else be a pleasant surprise.

I don't think Pikmin 3 would be a late October title if, like, they had a totally packed gangbusters holiday season.

Vexieal

Apr 30, 2020

What is your point exactly? Why would them not lying to get attention matter? It doesn't matter if they're wrong because they lied or if they're wrong because they were misinformed, the end result is the same: They are not reliable.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
The twist is that Nintendo had a full Direct planned for this week, then realized gamescom was happening and panicked, throwing a dart at a random date on the calendar and moving it there.

/s

toa95

Oct 27, 2017
Man... Not that it matters in the grand scheme of everything thats going on, but the lack of General Directs and E3 made an already shitty year even less tolerable.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Can we we not take out our frustration on Nintendo's...interesting communication practices on Nate/Grubb/Cap? You'd be surprised how much of a disorganized mess large companies like this are and how quickly either things change (yeah i know it's a meme now but it's true) or lines get crossed.

Jan 26, 2019
Oh, are we chasing valuable contributors out of the community because their info didn't pan out again? This really is an endlessly repeating cycle, isn't it?

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are only disappointed because they put so much faith in leakers that don't actually know shit. It's depressing

Sep 29, 2019
But what strucks me as odd is: Is Nintendo just changing those on clock, all out of sudden? How did nobody see this coming, like the other ones? Because if there were indications that a General Direct was happening on the 28th (and it isn't happening, at least not for now), this means it has been pushed back, right? ... riiiiight? Please tell me we will have a General Direct and they just postponed it. LMAO

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The endless optimism of this thread, is something I admire. In really hard times, seeing how quickly you all bounce back and restore faith that the big news is right around the corner is something I can't really get my head around.

Personally I don't invest in the rumors, because... well hope seems to ride way higher than reality turns out and I haven't got much energy for disappointment these days. I want an E3 sized direct too. I hope you can all conjure it into existence with your raw belief.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
I'm starting to lean this way as well.

A few more Mini Partner whatever Directs with a Pokemon Direct to go over Crown Tundra.
Yup. I remember 2021 being an option in the polls of one of the older threads. I picked it sarcastically back then. Guess it could be real now. Especially after Nibel's tweet

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
So now it's September. Then it will be "next week, maybe the last of September". Then October. November. December. January 2021. February 2021. March 2021. April 2021 for sure! Nope, May 2021. Wait, it's June 2021, that's 100% confirmed. Or maybe July, August, September... this until the end of time. Welcome to the Nintendo hype cycle, you'll hate to love it.
(Insiders have my sympathy, must be pretty hard to share info right now.)

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
I think something mid-September is their goal now. Wii and Wii U prices, launch line-ups were revealed in the same time frame. I feel it's their absolute limit.

Sure, there's no console from them to launch, but a holiday line-up announcement seems about right during Sept. 14-18.

Status
Not open for further replies.