• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the next General Direct will be?

• I still have a fool's hope: August

Votes: 434 31.2%
  • I'm realistic and boring: September

Votes: 491 35.2%
  • I don't like to commit to things: Anytime in 2020

Votes: 157 11.3%
  • I've been hurt too many times: 2021 Onwards

Votes: 311 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, it's pretty obvious that insiders are putting pieces together like a puzzle from multiple sources.

So it's understandable for someone to assume that:
1. Insider A saying a direct is happening on July 20th
+
2. Insider B saying Mario Collection this year
= a large Direct coming July 20th with Mario Collection reveal.

Obviously that wasn't correct, though you can see how someone could come to that conclusion. But what this does mean is that a first party Direct is still coming with a Mario Collection announcement. And probably soon.

So what we get tomorrow is just in addition to a General Direct coming soon!

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
Well I hope maybe we see NMH3, Bayo 3 and SMTV and maybe a surprise. I am intrigued by the idea of a "development" partner. What does that mean? Are those second party teams? Are those just third party teams where Nintendo publishes? Also why did they feel the need to announce a mini? Many questions are had by me.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Wow. Some of you guys are getting way into this.

It's fine to be disappointed, but please, don't take it out on the (trusted) insiders. Most of them already had to deal with us and our insanity on the days before all of this.
I mean, it's not personal. They're all no doubt good people who deserve to be left alone.

But anybody who believes hearsay Nintendo rumors again is a fool

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Tbh it's just the fact we thought something else was coming that we are now disappointed.
Well, i would like to know when the next one will be, hopefully not too far off.

The mass dislike this new direct will get tho outch.

Don't see the point tbh, 1 big direct would be way better.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
This is a really interesting turn because it shows both the precision and blindspots of peoples' knowledge. Kelios was able to get the exact time this announcement came out, despite it being basically unprecedented. But no one mentioned anything like this for the content.

This is such a specific thing. It's going to be the first in a series. This was planned for a while! And no one seemed to know of the specific details.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I can see them doing one next week or two weeks after this. Mini Directs focusing on different things since they can't get everyone at the same time.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Oh.

I feel like a moron.

Everyone's kind of missing a key phrase in that tweet.

"the first in a series"

We're probably getting multiple 10/15 minute Direct minis over the next few weeks.

I like this idea, and it's a decent strategy; it gives time for smaller games to breathe, allows Nintendo and their partners to space out releases, and doesn't paint themselves into a corner with delays.

This would also line up with zell/Nate/Kels hints. Allow 3rd party to do its thing and shine. I'd bet the next Direct in this "series" is Mario focused for the 35th anniversary. Then the next is "general" q3+.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Probably just cause I'm Always optimistic. But since Captain had his sources. I figure they knew what's gonna get announce. They just didn't Expect it to be separate minis? I feel the next one will be sooner but like I said. I'm optimistic. And I still feel this wouldn't be seen so negative if we weren't all assuming something else.
There was never going to be a positive reaction to this. The word Direct popping up in a tweet, and immediately shutting down hope of new games, was never going to go over well. The reaction is obviously exacerbated by leaker teases and a build up of expectations from all kinds of sources, but there's no world where people thirsty for Nintendo news were going to be satisfied with this.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
This is a really interesting turn because it shows both the precision and blindspots of peoples' knowledge. Kelios was able to get the exact time this announcement came out, despite it being basically unprecedented. But no one mentioned anything like this for the content.
And he said it wasn't a Mini when he leaked the time...

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
My guess:

One: This is the first in a series of Mini Directs.

Two: Development and Publishing Partners. Publishing Partners is Third Party. Development not necessarily so.
"Our development & publishing partners" is referring strictly to 3rd party devs. Not first and 3rd party partners. I made the same mistake reading it.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, third party content that's not ports could be pretty exciting, but 10 minutes feels like we won't get much here at all.

1-2 minutes of talking and transitional content, and a few 2-3 minute trailers?

The wording is also super weird. I hope there's something new in here.

Oct 26, 2017
yup, I le

he's confused?

that's weird.
Did insiders think something else was happening...

Insiders were told a time and date and not told the content most likely.

This is an extremely confusing time period as Nintendo has no games dated which is basically unprecedented in their history. The longer this goes on, the more questions will arise about the Switch's upcoming lineup and what happened to Nintendo EPD.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Think I'm just gonna get Pikmin 3 on Wii U. I've waited like 2 years to play it on Switch at this point

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to watch any single Mini Direct Partner Showcase, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel Mini Direct Partner Showcase or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
The true cycle of these threads isn't hype followed by disappointment, it's hype followed by the unhealthiest shit on display this side of the board.

Chill the fuck out peeps, my God. The games will come.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Insiders know most things because of third party sources.

Nintendo probably doesn't tell companies the exact format of the Direct, just that it will be released on X day and announced (or not) at X time.

Insiders knew a Direct was coming and knew it would feature multiple titles, thus a general Direct, but didn't know it was this small.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to watch any single Mini Direct Partner Showcase, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel Mini Direct Partner Showcase or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Thank you for posting this!

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's face it, the leakers aren't reponsible for us being disappointed. Had there been no rumors at all and Nintendo announced this despite the fact that there are currently no dated first party titles for the rest of the year and combined with their recent silence, we'd still be disappointed.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Paper Mario came out a few days ago. Unless there's another Direct coming relatively soon, they'll go weeks if not months without a single dated game for this year. Their cautiousness has reached a ridiculous level.
But again, we're in unprecedented times right now. Until this pandemic comes to an end, we're gonna have to be more patient with this kind of stuff. Lives are on the line.

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
"Our development & publishing partners" is referring strictly to 3rd party devs. Not first and 3rd party partners. I made the same mistake reading it.

I initially read it the way you're saying here and my gut says that's correct, but Kelios said people are reading parts of it wrong and there's not a whole lot to that tweet lmao. Just throwing some ideas out there.

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019

Not gonna lie I audibly laughed when I read this lol.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
It sounds to me like the series is going to be all partner showcases.
Exactly. It doesn't say "This is the first in a series of Nintendo Directs," it says it's the first Nintendo Direct Mini focused on partner showcases.
And he said it wasn't a Mini when he leaked the time...
He always said he wasn't 100% sure and to take it with a grain of salt. Come on guys. Everyone got duped here. Kelios and the other insiders have nothing to do with our frustration at Nintendo's ineptitude

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Insiders know most things because of third party sources.

Nintendo probably doesn't tell companies the exact format of the Direct, just that it will be released on X day and announced (or not) at X time.

Insiders knew a Direct was coming and knew it would feature multiple titles, thus a general Direct, but didn't know it was this small.

Pretty much.

Nintendo will announce their remaining first party titles for the year soon. It's just not tomorrow.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
y'all better leave insiders alone

but also maybe don't believe everything they say anymore, I sure won't

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

You can't do this. All of these things are pre-planned with a bunch of other businesses, probably weeks before.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
The only thing that disappoints me about all this is that this is going to be the first in series of mini directs. I don't have a problem with the format but just dropping the full video on YouTube is kinda wack. I like the livestream format more tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.