• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the next General Direct will be?

• I still have a fool's hope: August

Votes: 434 31.2%
  • I'm realistic and boring: September

Votes: 491 35.2%
  • I don't like to commit to things: Anytime in 2020

Votes: 157 11.3%
  • I've been hurt too many times: 2021 Onwards

Votes: 311 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas
Even if that was the case, I don't see them announcing a Direct 4 days in advance...
My expectation now is to get a (regular) Direct around the end of the Summer, likely in September.
I'd be extremely happy to be wrong, but I'd rather set my expectation for Nintendo as low as I'm setting the expectations for the rest of my life right now lol :(
Honestly with the difficult year everyone is having I was hoping this will bring some excitement, very bummed out by all of this.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If this is a series and we will get them once a week, tune in next week for.....

Animal Crossing New Horizons August Update!

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Well, technically, Breath of the Wild 2 and Metroid Prime 4 have already been announced xD

No, seriously tho. What is Nintendo doing. They keep saying they still have unannounced stuff for 2020 and then they do this?

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
You know what? Kelios knew a lot of things about this event. The exact date, the exact hour, the time of announcement (this he knew from some hours ago, but still). And he also say he thinks this is gonna be a exciting one, so, I'm trusting on that too.
A follow-up post from him on this thread says that it appears plans have changed and they're maybe targeting a September Direct lol

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I'm almost more amused than disappointed at this point. It's just unreal that Microsoft and Sony can put together 1 hr+ shows and Nintendo can only show a 10 minute Direct with (presumably) nothing even coming close to resembling a heavy hitter. I get that they were impacted by COVID, but their investors meeting comments and their actions just aren't lining up. It's baffling
It's easy to say that an investor's meeting because later you can just as easily say "plans have changed".

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm probably on the minority on this but I completely excuse Nintendo if COVID really did a number. COVID cause my Mother, Father and 2 sisters (basically my whole famili but me) too lose their jobs and I've been the only one working the last few months. It's just different situations I know, but I cannot say "they could be doing better". Frankly it's been a terrible last few months personally and COVID is messing me up badly so I can sympathize. Video games have helped me not stress out a lot but I can't be on the side they could be doing better, I know that's it's hard for everyone.
I'm in a similar boat, as I think (especially from an American perspective) a lot of people/companies are not taking COVID seriously enough and the last thing I want is a company to compromise the safety of it's workers to get product out. There's no shame in them being hit hard by the pandemic.

That being said, their communication, mostly lack of it, is kind of baffling. If they were just more up front about what's going on, I think that would go a long way. I definitely don't want to complain given the state of the world, but I do wish they would let us know what's going on a little more.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
God damn this announcement is a massive heap of monkey's paw. I'm absolutely flabbergasted by this

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
This reveal might be the biggest insult by a major gaming company in the past decade. I literally screamed "FUCK YOU" at my screen. I knew they said it wasn't going to be a first party direct but the hype they created made me think they were just going to surprise us with it anyway. Absolutely unacceptable to do this to us. Once they knew a first party direct was expected, they should've cancelled the announcement.
lmao holy shit.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
"It's happening in January, guys!"
"February's more likely anyway."
"Okay it has to be March, right?!"
"April? Please? It's Nintendo's last chance before E3!"
"Maybe they'll give us a little something in May."
"Nothing for June...oh well. Maybe July!"
"I guess it'll happen in August or September."

Sigh.

Nintendo has deemed that fans are not desperate enough. Need to keep driving up hype. Their games are only selling millions. Not
Dude, not saying that they aren't publicly traded and thus aren't clearly careful about profits in some fiscally conservative ways, but they care deeply about their craft. Waaaaaay more than so many publishers and major devs. They frequently display rather confounding stubborn characteristics but this is off base.

Nintendo is notorious for being a super shady company. Read the book "Game Over" by David Sheff. Nintendo does indeed care about their game quality which is why we all love their games so much but they could easily release more games and update their fans on news but they are not doing either these days.

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas
Dude, not saying that they aren't publicly traded and thus aren't clearly careful about profits in some fiscally conservative ways, but they care deeply about their craft. Waaaaaay more than so many publishers and major devs. They frequently display rather confounding stubborn characteristics but this is off base.
I agree with this, and their policy of no crunch is very positive even if it means their games take longer to develop, I guess I also let the hype drive me into a stupid place.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to think Furukawa's leadership is poor and he's very lucky he took over while Nintendo was succeeding. Among other things, this whole summer has been a clear marketing failure.

Look at how good that Sony event was. EA had a decent show, too. Even the Pokemon Company put together something exciting!

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I will see how the Direct goes and the updates given, but my notes are not positive. This company is making me shake my head. The statement given to investors was nonsense.
Wow so it is going to be quite a discussion. I'm sure the others who are going to be involved feel the same tho right? Cause so far Nintendo's approach to all this has been completely baffling in so many ways.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
Damn. Nate, Kelios, Captain seemed quite adamant on this direct about what could turn up. Hope they weren't purposefully toyed with by their sources.

I'm not being hysterical here, because there are no games being created by partners that I'm really interested in, so not sure if I'll be watching right away. Hopefully something will turn up for those interested.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
Guys. I'm deflated. I rarely, rarely, rarely come off as an entitled gAmEr, and I hate to put so much stock into this stuff, but this year has been dreadful for me in numerous ways even beyond COVID. This Direct was one of the few worthwhile distractions on the horizon, along with Xbox's show. So much of my hope and more optimistic disposition disappeared with the snap of a finger

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Can't wait for your post-show...show
It's not going to be pretty. The hate is going to be unleashed.

Wow so it is going to be quite a discussion. I'm sure the others who are going to be involved feel the same tho right? Cause so far Nintendo's approach to all this has been completely baffling in so many ways.

They may not share my sentiments, which is a valid stance and I welcome the open dialogue of such things on my show. But I've said it in a prior episode... Nintendo are either marketing geniuses in 2020 or they are marketing failures and I'm now convinced it is the latter.

Starkiller

Jan 30, 2018
My guess as to why Nintendos doing a third party thing before they're showing off their first party games is because Nintendos afraid that their first party games might overshadow the first party ones.

But that's kinda flimsy, as I can't think of an example where a Nintendo game overshadowed a third party game.

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Damn. Nate, Kelios, Captain seemed quite adamant on this direct about what could turn up. Hope they weren't purposefully toyed with by their sources.

I'm not being hysterical here, because there are no games being created by partners that I'm really interested in, so not sure if I'll be watching right away. Hopefully something will turn up for those interested.
Nate had no idea what the contents were

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
You guys ready for more info on Bakugan and Paw Patrol?
giphy.webp

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I mean it's not impossible for this to still be good. If it was like.. NMH3, Rune Factory 5, Sports Story, and Silksong, those all fit the bill and would be great to see updates on. But my expectations are very low.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
I mean it's not impossible for this to still be good. If it was like.. NMH3, Rune Factory 5, Sports Story, and Silksong, those all fit the bill and would be great to see updates on. But my expectations are very low.
Too bad Rogue Company is already being advertised as one of the elusive slots, haha. I wish the best for that game commercially and critically but I have no personal interest

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's blowing my mind at how incredibly stupid, shallow, and nonsensical all this is.
Welcome to COVID-19.

Nintendo has had to reconfigure their international marketing and release plans entirely, as have third parties that intended to get their games out this year. Go ahead and sit on the sidelines calling it nonsensical, but this feels precisely like content that was intended for E3 that Nintendo is only just promoting now, probably because Nintendo has reshuffled their longview marketing plans but they still have these E3 commitments to honor.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
The only way this turns positive is if there is actually one big surprise in the Direct and they're keeping it secret. That or at the end of the Mini they have a message like "Come back next week for the second Mini in this series, when we'll talk about a couple new, unannounced titles" and they just keep stringing these along, week to week.

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020
I've been playing a mod for Pikmin 2 lately that adds 4-player coop support to story mode. Running that over Parsec so it can be played online is super fun.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Idk if the bet is still on or not...

I don't mind tbh. This news is already trash. At least the avatar is funny in a cringe way.

I'd say it is :(

Sorry dude, I can't say I have it as bad as you, but I was hoping you'd win.

Edit: Though in all fairness I'd say we wait until we actually see it.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Let's say Nintendo has a game for September. They're going to have to announce it soon, right? We'll be in August next week.

I'm sure there's a first party Direct coming soon.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I know this isn't what people wanted but this is really only affecting the hardcore fans like us. Saying Nintendo is a punchline and losing respect from all audiences is strange. yeah, this forum isn't please but I bet 90% of people who buy Nintendo games don't really care all that much. We care much more then anyone else so it's effecting our excitement.

like this is just video games. The anger is too much honestly.
I'm almost more amused than disappointed at this point. It's just unreal that Microsoft and Sony can put together 1 hr+ shows and Nintendo can only show a 10 minute Direct with (presumably) nothing even coming close to resembling a heavy hitter. I get that they were impacted by COVID, but their investors meeting comments and their actions just aren't lining up. It's baffling
Yeah sorry but this is a crazy 7-month stretch of Nintendo not being able to "read the room".

My friends and family who own a Switch have been asking what games are coming out this year. Of course they aren't as frustrated as fans who try to stay in the loop but there are a lot of questions.

Imagine going back to January on Era and telling the frustrated threads that, come late July we still wouldn't know anything about Nintendo's release lineup after Animal Crossing/CHG.

Maybe there is another Direct coming. Insiders that were telling us to get excited about what would be in it...I have to imagine they saw something else.

Even Geoff is baffled.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this.

Either Nintendo's marketing this year is completely nonsensical, or something isn't right internally imo.

Whoever signed off on their announcement strategy pre-COVID to not have a Jan/Feb Direct and wait to start the new year until late March with a mini I hope steps on a Lego in an inconsistent pattern throughout the rest of this year and next.

Oct 27, 2017
I miss E3. Nintendo what are you doing? I hope the wording of debut the first of a series means more to come soon. Or maybe the Pokemon approach, more info about another direct at the end?

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
The only way this turns positive is if there is actually one big surprise in the Direct and they're keeping it secret. That or at the end of the Mini they have a message like "Come back next week for the second Mini in this series, when we'll talk about a couple new, unannounced titles" and they just keep stringing these along, week to week.
Don't do that to yourself :)

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
If this is a series and we will get them once a week, tune in next week for.....

There are not even enough "already announced third party games" to give updates each week. Let's face it, this is a sugarcoated Bravely Direct. No one cares about Bravely and now they're camouflaging its Direct.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
It's bedtime. Night, everyone! Looking forward to (read: dreading) the volatile, despondent discourse tomorrow morning

Status
Not open for further replies.