• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I have a PS4, but I still can't get excited.

On the other hand, I'm playing Deadly Premonition 2 right now and people would declare me mad for that 🤷🏼‍♂️

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm not that sad at all about no Switch announcements at Ubisoft as I'm done buying anything from them until they definitely have a big change in culture. The resignations are a big start, but still. It's going to take time. Plus there is more they need to sack, what with even directors there being awful people.

Also a bit sad as I did just buy AC Rebel Collection during the summer eShop sale, but it was $20 CDN at Best Buy's site so I got the full gold coin value, so it was pretty cheap all things considered. Still it will make playing Starlink and Mario + Rabbids hard for me, especially as the former was by Ubisoft Toronto, where much of this shit's been going on... in my home town to boot. :(

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting anything Switch from Ubi's event so I'm not shocked. We'll have to see if anything shows up in the direct though.

Necro Felipe

Editor-in-chief at Universo Nintendo
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Brasil
Nice, a total of NOTHING was announced for Switch (besides the Trials DLC)

Hey Nintendo, it's up to you.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I mean when's the last time we got an actual great Metroid game? Sami's Returns was cool but it's nothing like Tropical Freeze in terms of quality.

Still tho it's been like 6 years for Retro. I'm confused on how's they haven't made a Donkey Kong during that time. It was only just recently that they started on Metroid so....
If you talk like that we should never get another Metroid lol.
The Metroid Prime games are critically acclaimed, after that they had a missstep with Other M(that had a good foundation with potential but just fucked it up in the execution) and went pretty much quiet on the series after that.
Federation Force is not a bad game in a vacuum it just came at the wrong time(and probably also the wrong console)
And Samus Return was a remake of one of the most repetititve games in the series, so of course it would carry over some problems.
Metroid could be a great game that would probaly sell if they actually gave it another big chance.
It's been 10 years since Other M, everything in between was just 3DS handheld games, so obviously lower budget.
Also the Switch is much less casual then on a Wii, so in a climate in which BOTW could thrive as much as it did, I think Metroid could similar, be it Prime 4 or a fully original Metroid 5 by Mercury Steam, free of the shackles being a remake of a very much limited by it's hardware Gameboy game.

Jan 11, 2018
Sometimes I feel detached from the the games made by EA, Ubisoft and whatnot.

I'm watching the Ubi stream and I woudn't play any of them.

Same here for the most part. Last game by Ubi that I loved was Red Steel 2... That was 10 years ago. At least EA has the EA originals indie games which are quite charming. Ever since they killed off Visceral though I've had next to no interest in them either though.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Yeah, I haven't taken much of interest in the big Western blockbusters since 2015. I just burnt out after Witcher 3 which I loved, and stopped gaming as much until Switch came along. I usually watch Ubisoft at E3 but it's very much the case that I'm not terribly interested in what's on offer. I'd like more things like Rayman Legends, Child of Light, and Kingdom Battle.

Ubisoft are going to do more of these broadcasts so hopefully we see some more interesting stuff and Gods & Monsters turns out well.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Yeah I'm not that sad at all about no Switch announcements at Ubisoft as I'm done buying anything from them until they definitely have a big change in culture. The resignations are a big start, but still. It's going to take time. Plus there is more they need to sack, what with even directors there being awful people.

Also a bit sad as I did just buy AC Rebel Collection during the summer eShop sale, but it was $20 CDN at Best Buy's site so I got the full gold coin value, so it was pretty cheap all things considered. Still it will make playing Starlink and Mario + Rabbids hard for me, especially as the former was by Ubisoft Toronto, where much of this shit's been going on... in my home town to boot. :(

Okay, so I'm both biased and salty since I literally work here, BUT

While Ubi has had a general huge HR failure and unsafe work culture for women and minorities that it refused to address until literally now (I speak as both), this is not specific to Ubi. The game industry in general is full of gross behavior at the expense of anyone not white/male.

Now that they've gotten rid of Serge and Cecile and others, and now that I've seen 1st hand an effort from HR teams and Yves to atone and address these issues, I am cautiously optimistic. I hope this results in Ubi becoming the inclusive safe haven it's pretended to be all this time.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Nintendo understand the need for games of a wide variety of genres and franchises - that really shouldn't be difficult to understand. They target lots of 1 to 3 million selling games which excite an enthusiast audience without breaking into a bigger mainstream. Just last year we had consecutive launches of Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Fire Emblem, and Astral Chain. We had another Xenoblade release a month or so ago. They don't just make decisions based on which franchise is going to sell the most.

As others have said, Retro also wanted to take on Prime 4, or at least that seems to be the case.

Indeed, prestige matters and Metroid has that in spades (hence why Other M was a mega disaster, bombed commercially but also critically). Nintendo wants more than a few 20 or 10 million sellers and wants a diverse lineup. Also if Retro wants to make a game then let them imo. They wanted to do TF, they wanted to do Prime 4. I see no problem with that. Though I think a good compromise would be expanding them to make multiple big games at once.

Plum

May 31, 2018
If this Direct is on Monday and I miss it, and it's actually quite good, then honestly I'm going to be incredibly disappointed overall.

All but one of these 'not-Directs' have been disappointing-to-bad for me so for me to miss the one that might actually be good is just a cruel fucking joke.

I hate this year so much.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I really hate how they twist the history, make it looks like the Vikings are the good guys, just so that you don't feel bad playing the game.
That honestly doesn't matter to me, the underlying formula for those games kills my interest already. They can put on whatever coat of paint, Origins, Odyssey, now Valhalla, they look like they play identically for 90-95% of the game. It's the Fifa/Madden/insert other sports titles of the ARPG genre, without being yearly nowadays, but still heavily iterative. Just boring to look at and even more so to actually play for me.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Being a console maker, Nintendo needs to offer a variety of software, even if it's not as profitable as other titles. Platformers are well served on Switch, so it makes sense for Nintendo to give DK a break.

Why is this excuse always brought up for Donkey Kong specifically? Why not give Yoshi a break, which sells less?

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
If you talk like that we should never get another Metroid lol.
The Metroid Prime games are critically acclaimed, after that they had a missstep with Other M(that had a good foundation with potential but just fucked it up in the execution) and went pretty much quiet on the series after that.
Federation Force is not a bad game in a vacuum it just came at the wrong time(and probably also the wrong console)
And Samus Return was a remake of one of the most repetititve games in the series, so of course it would carry over some problems.
Metroid could be a great game that would probaly sell if they actually gave it another big chance.
It's been 10 years since Other M, everything in between was just 3DS handheld games, so obviously lower budget.
Also the Switch is much less casual then on a Wii, so in a climate in which BOTW could thrive as much as it did, I think Metroid could similar, be it Prime 4 or a fully original Metroid 5 by Mercury Steam, free of the shackles being a remake of a very much limited by it's hardware Gameboy game.

I think the Switch has a big casual audience and that's why it's selling so much.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Indeed, prestige matters and Metroid has that in spades (hence why Other M was a mega disaster, bombed commercially but also critically). Nintendo wants more than a few 20 or 10 million sellers and wants a diverse lineup. Also if Retro wants to make a game then let them imo. They wanted to do TF, they wanted to do Prime 4. I see no problem with that. Though I think a good compromise would be expanding them to make multiple big games at once.
Also wasn't Nintendo criticized for mostly doing 2D platformers on WiiU?
I love the variety on Switch and that also invest in Experiments like Astral Chain, cause theres just no game that plays like it.
And it's not like the mainstream dislikes the core premise and concepts of Metroid(Exploration, Shooting, darker sci-fi)
I could see a proper game become popular on Switch.
That honestly doesn't matter to me, the underlying formula for those games kills my interest already. They can put on whatever coat of paint, Origins, Odyssey, now Valhalla, they look like they play identically for 90-95% of the game. It's the Fifa/Madden/insert other sports titles of the ARPG genre, without being yearly nowadays, but still heavily iterative. Just boring to look at and even more so to actually play for me.
Yeah, I was kinda into Assassin's Creed 2, but I really can't bother with the others, the games after just were samey, and even if they revamped the formula with Origins it just looks so bloated and got samey again.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
maybe none of their devs wanted to do dk right now, a forced game would probably end up sucking

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I believe that Metroid Prime has intrinsic problems in its formula that limit the sales it can have and that if it does not solve them, it will end up selling as Deus Ex, Dishonored, Alien: Isolation or Prey.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that Retro could of made a new Donkey Kong/new ip and Metroid game after all these years of them being silent. Like at times it feels like the studio is dead, but in reality they aren't which is crazy. It's such a waste of a studio that had made the Donkey Kong and Metroid games.

Anyways I see the sales potential of the next Metroid game up to 5 million max. With a new 3D Donkey Kong I could see it being 5-10 million.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But it's been 6 years since a new DK game, the port doesn't really count to me
That's fine as a fan, but with regards to the IP itself, it has had a presence on Nintendo's current console. Famitan hasn't had an original title since 1997, but I'm not going to just discount the upcoming remakes because I've already experienced them.

Why is this excuse always brought up for Donkey Kong specifically? Why not give Yoshi a break, which sells less?
I would totally be cool with that. I wonder how a Good-Feel Metroid or Donkey Kong would end up?

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so I'm both biased and salty since I literally work here, BUT

While Ubi has had a general huge HR failure and unsafe work culture for women and minorities that it refused to address until literally now (I speak as both), this is not specific to Ubi. The game industry in general is full of gross behavior at the expense of anyone not white/male.

Now that they've gotten rid of Serge and Cecile and others, and now that I've seen 1st hand an effort from HR teams and Yves to atone and address these issues, I am cautiously optimistic. I hope this results in Ubi becoming the inclusive safe haven it's pretended to be all this time.
I sure hope you're right. Honestly, I thought Yves was one of the good ones. He always came across as a genuine person that actually cared, but obviously these events have cast doubt on him to me, but I really want to believe that he is genuine in that he wants to make amends and change the company he co-formed and looked after for all these years.

I firmly believe in the old saying that a captain is nothing without his or her crew. All Yves can do is try to change things. Frankly if he is genuine and is doing just that, then I definitely support that, but this can't just be done overnight. We'll need to hear from folks (not as PR) about how things have changed and such, but that will take maybe months to really feel the difference.

I hope you're safe and well and maybe you are seeing something now? That tweet by another employee saying how folks are just cracking jokes about this does not inspire confidence, but that was before the resignations, so who knows.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
"Metroid will definetly die if it doesnt hit this arbitrary sales milestone!"

Uhh, we are talking about the company that wont stop funding pikmin and bayonetta games

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think if Prime 4 is genuinely great it will crack 3 million to become the best selling Metroid game, but I dunno about more than that.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I feel sympathetic to all the DK fans, and I just want to tell you that ... Donkey Kong sucks!!1! Don't @ me.

Seriously, though, I'm glad Retro's doing Prime 4 for now and hope for Metroid 5 as well, but it would be cool if Retro went back to DK afterwards, potentially switching between the two IPs every other game.
Would be even better if they had two teams, one for each series.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017

Uhh, we are talking about the company that wont stop funding pikmin and bayonetta games

I mean Pikmin has the backing of Miyamoto lol. It will never die.

The same can't be said for Metroid. So y'all better support Metroid if you want it to continue.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I think the Switch has a big casual audience and that's why it's selling so much.
What casual audience are we talking about?
If you look at the games actually selling on the platform you have much more games like Wii fit, Wii Sports resort or Wii Party in the best seller list.
The Wii was a Soccer mom console, even if it did have some great games like Sin & Punishment 2 which sold badly because of that fact.
I believe the Switch Audience would react differently to that game, when games like Astral Chain sell 1 million.
It's crazy that Retro could of made a new Donkey Kong/new ip and Metroid game after all these years of them being silent. Like at times it feels like the studio is dead, but in reality they aren't which is crazy. It's such a waste of a studio that had made the Donkey Kong and Metroid games.

Anyways I see the sales potential of the next Metroid game up to 5 million max. With a new 3D Donkey Kong I could see it being 5-10 million.
Yes, a new donkey kong would be great, but also very predictable from Nintendo.
Another 3D platformer would add less to the diversity than Metroid would.
TO be honest I would rather see how they would adapt Kirby or another series into 3D instead of doing a safer bet in Donkey Kong.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
That's fine as a fan, but with regards to the IP itself, it has had a presence on Nintendo's current console. Famitan hasn't had an original title since 1997, but I'm not going to just discount the upcoming remakes because I've already experienced them.

Remakes are a little different from a straight port. I just think since DK hasn't had a new game for 6 years, that's also how long it's been on a break.

Jan 11, 2018

This November will mark seven years since Retro completed Tropical Freeze. I just hope Retro releases A game at some point.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I will get 3D DK and nobody in this thread can stop me.

I'd think less, but that's only because it's coming out at the end of the Switch's lifespan. The Switch will be slowing down in 2022, which is when this should release.

That's true.

I feel sympathetic to all the DK fans, and I just want to tell you that ... Donkey Kong sucks!!1! Don't @ me.

Seriously, though, I'm glad Retro's doing Prime 4 for now and hope for Metroid 5 as well, but it would be cool if Retro went back to DK afterwards, potentially switching between the two IPs every other game.
Would be even better if they had two teams, one for each series.

I just want evidence that the brand is important to Nintendo. I'd take spin-off games at this point. At least there's the theme park...

Oct 26, 2017

Bayonetta is extremely low budget though.

If Prime 5 is just a very poor graphical game with no cinematics, then yeah the series could continue.

But Prime 4 will probably be a graphical top of the line game that got six years of development across several studios and probably needs to sell a lot to make any form of return.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all be saying making a new Donkey Kong game would be predictable and add less diversity to the Switch's lineup. Yet we get Yoshi and Kirby games that sell less lol.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
What casual audience are we talking about?
If you look at the games actually selling on the platform you have much more games like Wii fit, Wii Sports resort or Wii Party in the best seller list.
The Wii was a Soccer mom console, even if it did have some great games like Sin & Punishment 2 which sold badly because of that fact.
I believe the Switch Audience would react differently to that game, when games like Astral Chain sell 1 million.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Animal Crossing are casual games. Pokemon, Smash Bros, BotW and SMO also have a large casual audience.

Oct 26, 2017
How was the Ubisoft show?

Watch Dogs looks great, their pipeline looks like a disaster zone otherwise with Assassin's Creed looking super unpolished and their other games announced getting zero footage.

Would expect AC, Gods and Monsters, and Rainbow Six to be delayed to next year, would expect a couple of weird years for Ubisoft after Ghost Recon 2019 sold terribly and Serge was fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.