• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Let's face it if bayonetta dont get at least a story trailer or some CG, is clear that Platinum have development problems, is a 2017 game, is a really bad look

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to think Nintendo will capitalize on the 35th anniversary along with Zelda next year, but that's just a wish right now.
I can see BotW 2 launching in March 2021 and kicking off the 35th anniversary with some HD remasters down the line.

Edit: Oh, you were talking about Metroid.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm kinda sad there is Bravely Default II dated for 2020.

I wanted to see Nintendo's announced line up be the holy trio of TBA: Bayo 3, MP4 and BotW2.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting, considering the studio has not released any game recently and they are (or used to be) big enough to release home console games that looked great in a reasonable time, I would suppose the 2D Metroid is finished right now if they started when Samus Returns was released.

IIRC it was rumored to start its development shortly after SR, but idk.

Didn't manyninsiders hear of Samus Returns years before releasbeandnthink it was cancelled?
I think Meecury Steam takes longer than you thonk with thisnkind of game.
Even if I would love a Metroid as soon as possible.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
BotW 2 should be playable from start to finish right now, and being polished and optimized. But maybe Nintendo doesn't want us to know about the game yet.

I seriously hope we get some meaty hands-ons sometime in the next couple months. We've all been speculating about them doing things like having proper dungeons, but my current burning question is whether they'll keep the old runes or devise a new set altogether. The old ones feel like they have a lot more life in them, but it's unlike Nintendo to not shake things up drastically.

Also, why are people bringing up BOTW2?

Why not? We'd have absolutely seen something at E3. A showing of sometime is inevitably just around the corner.

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020
If that direct rumor ends up being real, do we have any idea of what could end up being shown off?

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Zach, there is nothing more delightful like a new Nintendo Direct Speculation thread in the morning. Well, besides a good cup of coffee maybe.

Looking at all the posters in the thread, we might see... miracles happen? We should thoroughly analyze the situation.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
But it's E3 time. If Nintendo announces a General Direct soon, chances are that they'll do an E3-style Direct and that BotW will be featured.
IDK,a lot of things have changed with Nintendo marketing the last months so who knows. I still think that the next Direct will be heavily Mario-focused and that Zelda news will come later.

Nah, I doubt it's finished. It's not just Covid, I think the game just flat out needs more time. It's a possibility they underestimated how long development may be.
If that's the case, I hope the game is bigger and more ambitious than SR was, and that they do something special with the art style.

Didn't manyninsiders hear of Samus Returns years before releasbeandnthink it was cancelled?
I don't remember pre-release details of SR TBH. As I said before, if this means that the game is new and more ambitious, I'm happy with waiting a few months more.

I seriously hope we get some meaty hands-ons sometime in the next couple months. We've all been speculating about them doing things like having proper dungeons, but my current burning question is whether they'll keep the old runes or devise a new set altogether. The old ones feel like they have a lot more life in them, but it's unlike Nintendo to not shake things up drastically.
I'm sure the game will be a bigger departure from BotW than what most people think, even if they keep some elements it's not a Nintendo move to keep significant gameplay elements the same way for a sequel. BotW 2 won't be a drastic change from the main series as BotW was, but I'm sure they know what went wrong with the game and have a lot of new ideas to implement.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Even if I would love a Metroid as soon as possible.

I mean I'd imagine Metroid needs a little more time to be visually appealing, if it's a 2D Mertroid game. Something like 2D Zelda can afford to have a cutesy/stylized artstyle because it's a series with a history of childlike wonder for certain games.

Metroid is a science fiction game known for dark/"serious" visuals and a sense of dread. On top of that, plenty of indie games that copy the formula very well are already on Switch for significantly less money than most retail Nintendo games. If you're going to release an HD Metroid game, and try to sell a 2D Metroid for $60, it's going to need some impressive visuals to appeal to people who don't normally buy into it. Metroid needs all the help it can get, giving it more than 3 years to really make something impressive feels like it would be the right move. I mean they COULD sell it for less than $60 but we all know that's not going to happen nowadays, so I'm thinking they're going to try and make the Switch 2D Metroid (if it gets one) a graphical showcase for the system.

This is coming from someone who would buy it for $60 whether it's a visual spectacle or not.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
If mercury is working on Metroid 5 i can see them take all the time they need, i mean is the game that will probably impact very much on the future of the company

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I just want two little things from the Direct:
- *some* new footage for BOTW2
- confirmation that we will be playing the game in less than a year

I hope it's not too much to ask.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
If that direct rumor ends up being real, do we have any idea of what could end up being shown off?
1st party

Most likely - Bravely Default II / Super Mario 35th Anniversary Collection / Super Mario 3D World / Pikmin 3 (/ Famicom Tantei Club in the JP direct)
Maaaybe - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Challenger Pack #7 / The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 / The World Ends With You 2 / something related to the Splatoon SOS pic / Kirby / a new EPD IP
Unlikely for now - Anything Metroid / Bayonetta 3 / new Pokémon Snap / Detective Pikachu / Pikmin 4 / Pokémon Sword/Shield: The Crown Tundra

Last edited:

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020
I'd love anything Pikmin or Metroid, honestly.
The Mario 3-pack doesn't have me too psyched if it's just gonna be spruced-up ports like people are implying.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Botw 2 is still my most hyped game. Nothing else comes even close. I also think it's time they reveal the 2D Metroid, a teaser for Prime 4, Monster Hunter and some Bayonetta footage. Silksong could get shadowdropped too. This should be a spectacular direct if you ask me.
Silksong won't release anywhere near now.
Think at the very least holiday.
I wonder if Nate's gonna day anything before the supposed Nintendo Direct happens
What makes you think he knows much ?

Not to mention his expectations didn't match most people's last year. Just wait and see for yourself.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
What I'd most want is a new DK game or Crash in Smash Bros. BotW 2 news or something unexpected would be cool too

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
If this is our E3 replacement direct then I have confidence that Nintendo or Aonuma will let us know beforehand if BOTW2 won't be shown in the direct.

They let us know in 2015 that it would be skipping that years E3. Granted, BOTW was originally targeting a 2015 release date and it was delayed but I still think it would make sense from a pure PR standpoint to let us know if it isn't showing up. They were willing to clarify that Wayforward's game wasn't a 1st party title when Wario Land and Metroid started trending last night lol

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
If this is our E3 replacement direct then I have confidence that Nintendo or Aonuma will let us know beforehand if BOTW2 won't be shown in the direct.

They let us know in 2015 that it would be skipping that years E3. Granted, BOTW was originally targeting a 2015 release date and it was delayed but I still think it would make sense from a pure PR standpoint to let us know if it isn't showing up. They were willing to clarify that Wayforward's game wasn't a 1st party title when Wario Land and Metroid started trending last night lol
Nah they will not that that, there is no need to do it. It will be something like always "tune in for 30minutes of information focused on Nintendo Switch titles coming this year" or something, maybe they will even mention some game like they are always doing.
At September Direct they also did not mention it will be not shown, which makes sense. That's like saying every single Direct that Bayo 3 or something will not be shown.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona

If they have plans to share information later on the year or early 2021 they don't need to clarify anything. Unless they also say: No info about Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4 etc... I mean, there's no need to clarify which games won't be featured.

On the other hand, as Suda showed some offcam NMH3 gameplay during the NG+ Expo, I expect a gameplay reveal for NMH3.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Astral Chain took them 5 years from greenlight to release.
But wasn't a big part of the team (including the director) working on Nier Automata back then? I mean, Bayonetta 3 was sure greenlit a few months before TGA 2017, but if they announced it then, we should assume that the development was already ongoing.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I think Nintendo will tell us prior to the Direct in some form if BoTW2 won't be there (I.e. "45 minute Direct focusing on titles launching in 2020").

Theyre not unaware of their Twitter replies lol

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Here's hoping we'll get some offbeat announcement from Nintendo too. Playing Deadly Premonition 2 and looking back at other stuff like Octopath Traveler, Mario + Rabbids, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, No More Heroes III and others... we need more of those.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
But wasn't a big part of the team (including the director) working on Nier Automata back then? I mean, Bayonetta 3 was sure greenlit a few months before TGA 2017, but if they announced it then, we should assume that the development was already ongoing.
With everything PG might have already been working on back then, I wouldn't make that assumption. We just don't know when exactly Bayo 3 entered full production.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I think Nintendo will tell us prior to the Direct in some form if BoTW2 won't be there (I.e. "45 minute Direct focusing on titles launching in 2020").
This I can see, but we don't have a confirmation that BotW2 is not a 2020 game. I'm sure they'll specify something about Mario and maybe something about 2020 games, but I doubt they'll say "BotW 2 won't be in the Direct".

With everything PG might have already been working on back then, I wouldn't make that assumption. We just don't know when exactly Bayo 3 entered full production.
Well yeah, with development I mean pre/production/post, but I'm sure Nintendo and P* agreed to develop it at least 6 months before TGA.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, haven't been keeping up with rumours. So an upcoming direct of some sorts is all but confirmed?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That does mean anything tbh. Nintendo always tells us they're focusing on a specific time period and they always show games outside that time period. They can say "focus" on 2020 and still show a game or 2 coming in 2021

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
This I can see, but we don't have a confirmation that BotW2 is not a 2020 game. I'm sure they'll specify something about Mario and maybe something about 2020 games, but I doubt they'll say "BotW 2 won't be in the Direct".

Well yeah, with development I mean pre/production/post, but I'm sure Nintendo and P* agreed to develop it at least 6 months before TGA.
Oh, sure, they wouldn't have announced it otherwise. I just don't see how that's indicative of anything as far as development goes.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

Haha, that won't mean much. They've used that terminology plenty of times and still announced stuff for the following year at them.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember "focus" isn't exclusive. We go through this like every single E3 and general directs lol. Nintendo likes to say "we will focus on spring" or "focus on the year", but they will always show a game or 2 outside of their focus.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
Wouldn't Astral Chain have taken up some of Platinum's time?

Relax, it's just been three years since the reveal and an extra one or two on top with pre-production. Chill.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
I just really hope the rumors are true. Of course, above all else, I wish for the safety and health of all those involved, and I'm pulling for something to be excited about in this dour year.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Ahh, okay. Thanks for that. I would assume most if not all Mercurysteam employees are working from home still, given that being the case.

Also, why are people bringing up BOTW2?
I work for a very large software development company in Barcelona and development productivity has not been affected much by WFH. I hear similar stories from colleagues working all over the country, some of which work specifically in lower end gamedev (the kind of gamedev that doesn't involve mocap and barely involves VAs), though obviously I'm not sure how if at all that can apply to Mercury Steam in particular.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Haha, that won't mean much. They've used that terminology plenty of times and still announced stuff for the following year at them.
That does mean anything tbh. Nintendo always tells us they're focusing on a specific time period and they always show games outside that time period. They can say "focus" on 2020 and still show a game or 2 coming in 2021

True - I just mean that I think they'll try and manage expectations in some way, even if it's through vague wording like that.

But they absolutely know what our expectations are, and even if we dont see it in this specific Direct I think we'll see it very soon. Especially if they're aiming for a March 2021 release as many are theorizing. Even starting now that's less than a year lead time for a big game that will have fierce competition.

But again, who knows. It's Nintendo lol

Status
Not open for further replies.