• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
everytime you say that something doesn't count, drink a shot and erase what you were about to post
In the case of saying something has "gotten too much" I feel it fits as not every mario game exists for the same goal. To say that because Mario got a racer, a platformer, and a party game within 2 years makes it oversaturated when none of those share anything except mascot, its dumb.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the idea is to retain new audiences brought in by botw, older 3d zeldas are not the way. Awful lnear game design is the antithesis of what made botw popular and good. Botw 2 is what's needed.
Nah, no thank you. Just because BotW is good, doesn't invalidate the existence of the entire franchise up to that point.

Especially when half of BotW isn't even Zelda

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nah, no thank you. Just because BotW is good, doesn't invalidate the existence of the entire franchise up to that point.

Especially when half of BotW isn't even Zelda

Where did I say invalidate?

Game design in many of the 3d zeldas ( wind waker) was always bad. Now it's just been blatantly exposed. Bad game design turns off people. Good game design brings in new fans. Zelda declining until botw.

I'll ignore the silly second claim.

dmpillay

Mar 18, 2019
RIP possible Mini Direct today.

Also there's no point discussing whether there's too many or too few of a certain game or game series. While personally I believe if a game has Zelda or Link in it, it's a Zelda game (yes even crossbow and cd-i) others might not agree and I see why. Instead we should be grateful Nintendo are actually releasing new, and might I add amazing, entries in the respective series; think back to the past times when there was hardly any info on new or upcoming games, and most of the time people didn't know if a new entry would even exist for multiple years.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Hob and the Friends of Ringo Ishikawa released today. Hellblade releases next week. Cuphead after that. Katana Zero in between. I wouldn't have time to watch a direct even if there was one. I'm cool until E3 at least.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is basing it off of Japan sales which were in line with the last few entries of the franchise(all sold over a Million besides the 3ds rerelease if Wholly World). Not great but we shall see it's legs.
UK sales were higher than expectations. It sold 15k copies there which is honestly not too shabby.
Well thats goofy

Kirby sold surprisingly well so I expect Yoshi too. Everything on Switch sells good so I was confused with why all the sudden yoshi would flounder

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
The Japanese Ape Escape website updated for the first time in 8 years.

Ape Escape Trilogy on Switch babyyyyyyy.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
Let's say we have a final Reggie Direct for fun. It'd be a great direct if it revolved around things he's liked or linked to him

-Metroid Prime Trilogy HD announced
-Animal Crossing Switch reveal trailer
-Super Mario Maker 2 deep dive
-Smash 3.0 update section/Joker
-Mother 3 localized/remade
-Pikmin 3
-Wii Fit Switch

I can believe this except for Mother 3. The rest I could see happening.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Are you actually basing this on anything?

I'd bet you any money that both of those games will outsell Marvel or Astral Chain by orders of magnitude.

You took my words out of context. I was talking about how can Nintendo attract non-Nintendo crowd to Switch. Like PlayStation owners. Don't you think it would be hard to sell a Switch to someone who don't like Mario games?

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You took my words out of context. I was talking about how can Nintendo attract non-Nintendo crowd to Switch. Like PlayStation owners. Don't you think it would be hard to sell a Switch to someone who don't like Mario games?
I don't think Marvel or Astral Chain are going to do much to pull in that audience either, to be frank- particularly given what Marvel Ultimate Alliance actually is.

I'd stake cold hard cash that more Switches are going to be sold in order for people to play Mario Maker than for Astral Chain.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

So you're theory would be to make games similar to those they can get already on PlayStation to make them buy something other than a PlayStation? Sounds like a winning strategy.....

The way to get a PlayStation owner interested in a Switch is to offer them something you can't get on PlayStation - which is exactly what they already offer

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Let's say we have a final Reggie Direct for fun. It'd be a great direct if it revolved around things he's liked or linked to him

-Metroid Prime Trilogy HD announced
-Animal Crossing Switch reveal trailer
-Super Mario Maker 2 deep dive
-Smash 3.0 update section/Joker
-Mother 3 localized/remade
-Pikmin 3
-Wii Fit Switch
😄
I can believe this except for Mother 3. The rest I could see happening.
🙁

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So you're theory would be to make games similar to those they can get already on PlayStation to make them buy something other than a PlayStation? Sounds like a winning strategy.....

The way to get a PlayStation owner interested in a Switch is to offer them something you can't get on PlayStation - which is exactly what they already offer

I think their point is that you attract owners of other systems by offering games that are similar to the ones they like on the systems they already own. Which I don't necessarily disagree with. An entire market of shooter fans is almost completely inaccessible to Nintendo.

I just don't think this is a point you can make with Astral Chain or Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
I think their point is that you attract owners of other systems by offering games that are similar to the ones they like on the systems they already own. Which I don't necessarily disagree with. An entire market of shooter fans is almost completely inaccessible to Nintendo.

I just don't think this is a point you can make with Astral Chain or Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.
Nintendo should be making some games that pander to audiences beyond their obsessed hardcore that'll buy anything Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon. However nintendo needs more than 1 or 2 games every 2 years. It's not enough to entice those audiences and accelerate growth

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

There is no reason to believe pandering to those gamers with a few titles a year will make them suddenly take notice of Switch because -

A) They will look garbage in comparison to what they are used to on PS4 / Xbox
B) There are already reams of third party titles already pandering to their tastes on the other systems - there isn't any shortage of FPS on the other systems if anything too many to actually sustain themselves. Having one more FPS exclusive to Switch is not going to make a PS4 owner bothered about the system

It makes a huge amount more sense to appeal to the PS4 / Xbox owner by offering them games like Mario Odyssey / Mario Kart and their own IP because their isn't already a better equivalent on their current platform of choice

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

Well, that strategy didn't work out too well for Wii U, despite having absolutely amazing first party games. Nintendo is definitely using a different strategy this time around, having moneyhatted exclusives and showing them off places where this expanded audience can see (Marvel UA3 on The Game Awards). We will see how winning it is pretty soon.

But don't forget, Nintendo aims to sell more than 100 million Switch consoles, and plans to do that without the casual audience who helped greatly Wii to reach that number. With all the brand new supporters for Nintendo (Bethesda, Blizzard, From) it's obvious which audiences they're now going after.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is no reason to believe pandering to those gamers with a few titles a year will make them suddenly take notice of Switch because -

A) They will look garbage in comparison to what they are used to on PS4 / Xbox
B) There are already reams of third party titles already pandering to their tastes on the other systems - there isn't any shortage of FPS on the other systems if anything too many to actually sustain themselves. Having one more FPS exclusive to Switch is not going to make a PS4 owner bothered about the system

It makes a huge amount more sense to appeal to the PS4 / Xbox owner by offering them games like Mario Odyssey / Mario Kart and their own IP because their isn't already a better equivalent on their current platform of choice

I am not saying they shouldn't make games that are unique to their system, quite the opposite. Sure, if Nintendo made Duty Calls it probably wouldn't do much. But if they made an FPS with a Splatoon-like twist, it might just sell the system to someone and they might even try some other games. And it might appeal to your existing userbase as well.

Nintendo has done a great job expanding the library of the Switch, especially in more traditional genres. But there are still glaring holes that hold the system back. Mario, Pokémon and Zelda have mainstream appeal but even their reach is limited. My point is basically that if they want the Switch to sell as much as possible, they need to appeal to as many people as possible. Someone who won't buy a Switch for Mario might buy it for Nintendo's "Halo" or "Resident Evil" or "Metal Gear Solid" etc.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Any reason people are expecting a Direct or is it just that moment we have every month?

dmpillay

Mar 18, 2019
Any reason people are expecting a Direct or is it just that moment we have every month?

There's been some cryptic hints and coincidences that lead people to be expecting a new Direct, e.g. Smash Update supposed to be coming out this month, Mario Maker soon, that Animal Crossing tweet + anniversary combo, Reggie's retirement and a few other soon to be expected game announcements that have been hinted by leakers.

So half and half really.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
There's been some cryptic hints and coincidences that lead people to be expecting a new Direct, e.g. Smash Update supposed to be coming out this month, Mario Maker soon, that Animal Crossing tweet + anniversary combo, Reggie's retirement and a few other soon to be expected game announcements that have been hinted by leakers.

So half and half really.
I wouldn't be surprised to just see 3.0 & Joker drop without warning

Mario Maker we for sure need to see soon but the Animal Crossing tweet feels like absolutely nothing

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

The two big things are that Joker for Smash is launching this month, and that we had a best buy 'leak'. Nintendo is almost certainly going to have some sort of mini direct or more to discuss the future of Smash Bros DLC.

Did that happen with any of the Smash 4 DLC? As far as I remember, each character had some sort of full video released explaining the character and showing off their fighting style for Smash. All we've had from Joker so far is an idle animation (or was it just a still?)

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
The two big things are that Joker for Smash is launching this month, and that we had a best buy 'leak'. Nintendo is almost certainly going to have some sort of mini direct or more to discuss the future of Smash Bros DLC.
The Best Buy leak doesn't really imply an immediate announcement though. They listed Smash Switch around 7 months before it was officially announced

dmpillay

Mar 18, 2019

Mario Maker we for sure need to see soon but the Animal Crossing tweet feels like absolutely nothing

Something else to note about the Joker announcement is that in all official posts about the Fighter Pack and Joker, "Arriving April" is just "Arriving" now so it might've been delayed.

Animal Crossing fans are starved, we're grasping at straws here lol. But chances are it'll be a Mini Direct focusing on one game.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Something else to note about the Joker announcement is that in all official posts about the Fighter Pack and Joker, "Arriving April" is just "Arriving" now so it might've been delayed.

Animal Crossing fans are starved, we're grasping at straws here lol. But chances are it'll be a Mini Direct focusing on one game.
I would wager it changed to just "arriving" because we're in April now so saying "Arriving April" is a little redundant

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's safe to say there will be one direct before now and E3. I'll bet money on it. Smash direct, MM2 direct, Mini, General or whatever.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'd be surprised personally.
It's going to add new features as well, and they made sure to keep Joker's moveset a surprise despite heavily detailing Plant Piranha's moveset before launch. It's a tad too much for a shadowdrop imo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone else in another topic clarified about Halo for Switch.

I did hear about Halo, but I'm not an insider. I have a friend who works at MS who brought it up in our discussion - he's just a network engineer, though. I honestly believe that MS is going to put some of their stuff on Switch. Have no idea just how much, but if you read the insiders here and on Reddit, there seems to be a ton of smoke

- Just like there was for Cuphead

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I think there's a reason they made it a big deal in the last direct and didn't show any Smash stuff. It seemed like 3.0 would be a huge deal and Smash would get its own direct at least to explain it all. Sakurai likes to explain things.
Yeah. Mini Smash Direct can perfectly happen, and it doesn't have any impact on a "regular" Direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.