• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
This leak joke is pretty boring.
At least tell us something unexpected like princess Peach as a guest star waifu in Persona 5 S or something like that lol

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Capcom has a lot of mid tier franchises and series that make sense for Switch release. Like you said there's MH Portable and RE Revelations but also Ace Attorney, Street Fighter, Sengoku Basara, Okami, Mega Man / X / Legends, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Viewtiful Joe, E.X.Troopers, Vs., etc, etc. Missing mainly just the RE Engine ports and MHW isn't entirely critical and there's a ton Capcom can still do on the platform.

Also the nextgen Switch will probably be well suited to get those higher end ports the current Switch misses out on. For some series (like Assassin's Creed, Devil May Cry, Kingdom Hearts, FallOut, Yakuza, GTA, etc) it can make sense to port 360/PS3 era AAA games and remasters to build an audience now and lay the groundwork for porting those PS4/XBO era AAA games to Switch 2.
Isn't Street Fighter high-tier? Either way, I doubt that the Switch will get another SF game after the 30th Anniversary Collection since...
  • We don't know what's up with Sony's current-get exclusivity over USFIV.
  • SFV is permanently locked down to Sony as far as consoles go.
  • SFVI is probably gonna target next-gen hardware.
Same for the Versus series, if/when we get another one of those. With that said, I definitely agree with regards to Ace Attorney (which I fully expect in the near future), Mega Man (I consider it one of the Capcom Big 5, but it'd technically be mid-tier in terms of its overall numbers), & a number of others.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
That's gonna look horrible and if it indeed is a simple cardboard switch holder, it's extremely disappointing that Nintendo went from a great idea (labo #1) to mimicking google cardboard VR. I really hope there's something else.
I think Nintendo will make it a cheap and fun experience and not focus very much on making a true VR experience. I think its more of a consumable, easy to use product that is going to be used as a tech demo and sell lots of copies. I'm excited to see what Nintendo comes up with to make it fun and surprising to use.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there some Nvidia tech designed to help low resolution screens produce better image quality for VR purposes? I can't remember what it was called at the moment.

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
Controversial business market related to gaming = pachinko machines with Nintendo IP.

Change my mind.

I believe they already have those, but Capcom does it for them. (Which I alway wondered why they pick Capcom as partner, Konami might actually give them IPs to use as trade off).

(This might be inaccurate, as I cannot seem to find source to verify it, I remember seeing it in financial report, but no idea which one).

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Wasn't there some Nvidia tech designed to help low resolution screens produce better image quality for VR purposes? I can't remember what it was called at the moment.
You're probably talking about that mate.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/292...ding-tech-could-help-vr-reach-the-masses.html

Whatever it is, Nintendo has always be adamant to innovate even when they follow a trend (like the glass-less 3D of the 3DS). I doubt it will be just a cardboard to hold the switch in front of the eyes.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue at hand here is how is Nintendo going to market to parents a product that is essentially going to put a giant screen right in front of their children ? VR is supposed to be for 13yo and above kids.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You're probably talking about that mate.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/292...ding-tech-could-help-vr-reach-the-masses.html

Whatever it is, Nintendo has always be adamant to innovate even when they follow a trend (like the glass-less 3D of the 3DS). I doubt it will be just a cardboard to hold the switch in front of the eyes.

I don't think it was that, I remember something specifically about helping IQ with low resolution screens rather than helping low powered GPUs output a better image.

And yeah there will probably be some kind of Nintendo hook to it. Maybe like QOL they leapfrog over "wearable" VR to "non-wearable" VR.

"Introducing TVR! VR on your television! You will say wow!"

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Just to put this whole stupid "THQ is superb in terms of support compared to Ubi"

THQ:
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Darksiders: Warmastered Edition

De Blob
De Blob 2
Legend of Kay
The Raven Remastered
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
This Is the Police

This Is the Police 2
Titan Quest

Zero exclusives. Zero actual AAA titles

UBI:
Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey Cloud

Brawlhalla
Just Dance 2017
Just Dance 2018
Just Dance 2019
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Monopoly
Rayman Legends
South Park: The Fractured but Whole
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Sports Party
Trials Rising
Uno
Valiant Hearts: The Great War

Starlink: Battle for Atlas

One exclusive AA(A) title with another that has massive exclusive content. Trying a completely new thing by streaming one of their core AAA Titles on Switch. Bringing their biggest seller Just Dance again on Switch and porting AA and indie games just like THQ does along with their own ports.

So let's cut the crap. Ubisoft is heads and shoulders above any other third party when it comes to Switch support as of now.

You are missing out a lot of titles
from the top of my head:

THQ:
Giana Sisters
Pillars of Eternity 2
Rad Rogers
Sine Mora
Book of Unwritten Tales 2
Saints Row 3 (via DS)

Ubi:
Child of Light
American Greatest Gameshow

There might be more games for both publishers.

Makes it look a lot better for THQ doesnt it? I dont think anyone actually believes THQ has put out better titles than Ubisoft, but more in terms of their actual output compared to capacity, Ubisoft can up their game a lot more than THQ can.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
My only issue with the idea of VR is the fact that the Switch only has a 720p screen, so I'm curious as to how Nintendo would fix that problem if we get a Labo VR kit.

I am not sure they will fix anything, I think their take is the following (which is why it will be "Nintendo Labo VR Kit" as opposed to "Nintendo VR"):

I think Nintendo will make it a cheap and fun experience and not focus very much on making a true VR experience. I think its more of a consumable, easy to use product that is going to be used as a tech demo and sell lots of copies.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Street Fighter high-tier? Either way, I doubt that the Switch will get another SF game after the 30th Anniversary Collection since...
  • We don't know what's up with Sony's current-get exclusivity over USFIV.
  • SFV is permanently locked down to Sony as far as consoles go.
  • SFVI is probably gonna target next-gen hardware.
Same for the Versus series, if/when we get another one of those. With that said, I definitely agree with regards to Ace Attorney (which I fully expect in the near future), Mega Man (I consider it one of the Capcom Big 5, but it'd technically be mid-tier in terms of its overall numbers), & a number of others.
USFIV was said to be a timed exclusive when the deal was made, I still think that would probably do really well with a Switch port even now. SFV is obviously off the table and I agree SFVI will be nextgen but that might not rule out a Switch downport (look at SSF4 3DS, SFXT Vita or UMVC3 Vita).

For Versus I think MVC is pretty much dead for awhile after Infinite but I could see a different multiplat Vs game also hitting Switch if Dev1 (Niitsuma) or Dev2 (Ono) want to fill that space soon. My dream would be a crossover fighter with Namco & Sega (Project Vs Zone) which could also throw in some 1st party stuff maybe on each format. There's also room for remasters if Capcom wants to nail down the licensing (UMVC3, TVC, SFXT, MVC Collection, SVC Collection).

In general now though I would say Capcom's fighters have probably moved down to second tier production wise. And they could certainly run on Switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know Nintendo doesn't chase trends, but I have to wonder if they're thinking of a Splatoon spin-off that's a f2p Battle Royale

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's gone gold.

So... a couple of weeks to a month? I'm not sure how long the process usually takes but it is being manufactured right now.

Just a quick note to say that whilst we verified that the poster above would be in a position to know this information, we can't verify the actual information itself. Therefore I'd take this users posts to be rumor/speculation in this specific case.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
USFIV was said to be a timed exclusive when the deal was made, I still think that would probably do really well with a Switch port even now. SFV is obviously off the table and I agree SFVI will be nextgen but that might not rule out a Switch downport (look at SSF4 3DS, SFXT Vita or UMVC3 Vita).

For Versus I think MVC is pretty much dead for awhile after Infinite but I could see a different multiplat Vs game also hitting Switch if Dev1 (Niitsuma) or Dev2 (Ono) want to fill that space soon. My dream would be a crossover fighter with Namco & Sega (Project Vs Zone) which could also throw in some 1st party stuff maybe on each format. There's also room for remasters if Capcom wants to nail down the licensing (UMVC3, TVC, SFXT, MVC Collection, SVC Collection).

In general now though I would say Capcom's fighters have probably moved down to second tier production wise. And they could certainly run on Switch.
I still think that Street Fighter is first-tier, especially considering that their entire esports business is riding on Street Fighter. But one thing to consider that MT Framework ran on literal witchcraft, whereas even UE4 has its limits in terms of down-porting (see KH3).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think both would be great. Very different styles of games for a BR. Obviously the world for a Botw BR is there.

Serious question- are there even 100 distinct colors for 100 different Inklings' ink in a battle royale? I guess maybe you could have some ink with like polka dots or speckles or something?

septmbrvrywn

Dec 3, 2018
Paris, France
This?

542736-zelda-links-awakening-switch.jpg

Anyone can fake this.
ahha good one I fell for it pretty bad

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Ho my god, cardboard VR with a 720p screen...
I'm not expecting a great experience...

I would have prefered the gun toy con with classic nes zapper games collection.
Ho well...

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Everything you can give of course :P
This is a summary of what I can provide today:
- Nintendo Labo VR Kit is real
- "Headset" made of cardboard also
- It has gone gold
- It is currently being manufactured and assembled
- You can probably expect an announcement and release within the coming weeks

I will try to provide further information this week. Perhaps more specifics on what the kit contains, and/or what's on the outside of the box.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
- It has gone gold

I will try to provide further information this week. Perhaps more specifics on what the kit contains, and/or what's on the outside of the box.
So an announcement in March in pretty likely?

OK, I can go with that.

March with Labo, April with P5, May with a mini direct and June with E3.

Seems like a good stream of announcements/events.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, MS and Nintendo should unite to tackle VR. Windows Mixed Reality already seems to be dead. Microsoft should give all that stuff to Nintendo and let them do something with it, imo.
considering they just announced the Hololens 2, it's not dead. though they pivoted it (or rather, it always was) towards enterprise

Poupou

Jan 22, 2019
March with Labo, April with P5, May with a mini direct and June with E3.

Seems like a good stream of announcements/events.

Don't forget the Smash Update which could be tied to a direct or just a video on its own.
I would also not be surprised if we get a Nindies direct next to the GDC since we only got the european one so far, and the teasing for Slay the Spire has been intriguing.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Like... theoretically, VR doesn't have to be rendered twice (once for each eye) right?
My Sony TV was made for 3D games ... but more often than not the 3D built into games Sucked ... but it had this mode that did Simulated 3D... which essentially just duplicated the single rendered image and spat it out in 3D. Most the time it looked better than the trashy 3D that was being output by the console. ...

So even though 720p is super low... and it probably will still look not that great... couldn't they use mirrors to offset the image for each eye? allowing for the game to render at full res? Or maybe a virtual boy type trick that allows to sync with refreshes?

either way I don't expect much from this rumor... BUT I think there are ways to improve IQ without using more hardware or reducing IQ by double rendering

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
- It has gone gold

I really like Labo and was curious about which direction they were going to go with it, but this sounds like a horrible idea given the switch hardware. The best case scenario, for me, would be "games" with very simplistic and easy to read visuals (think Starfox snes simplistic) but with a nice educational twist to it. I don't know how it would work at all, though.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
still confused on how labo vr works

or is it just the screen near your head?

Didn't Android's Cardboard VR work the same way? The kit would contain lenses to simulate 3D effect. The main difference is IIRC the Switch itself doesn't have Gyro so I don't know how it tracks your head's movement. Best guess is you put a Joycon into the headset, but that leaves you with only one Joycon for gameplay.

Either way we shouldn't expect anything but very basic gameplay, like most Labo games.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So, they've been holding the Prime Trilogy for the VR announcement!?

Probably not. But maybe. Probably. Yes, definitely.

But yeah could you imagine? That would easily be my first Labo purchase.

You'll probably put one of the Joy con on the cardboard headmount...
Didn't Android's Cardboard VR work the same way? The kit would contain lenses to simulate 3D effect. The main difference is IIRC the Switch itself doesn't have Gyro so I don't know how it tracks your head's movement. Best guess is you put a Joycon into the headset, but that leaves you with only one Joycon for gameplay.

Either way we shouldn't expect anything but very basic gameplay, like most Labo games.

The Switch tablet does have built-in motion sensors, yes. You would not need to attach a joycon to your head.

EDIT: Source-

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Switch does have a gyro+accel I was wrong about that. Apparently it's a different model number to the one in the joy-cons but I can't find any info on why.

And lenses. It would work like google cardboard works

oh okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.