• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what others think but my opinion is Ubisoft lineup for Wii U was much better and more diverse than current Switch support. Two Assassin's Creed games, Watch Dogs, ZombiU (imo, it was a much better exclusive than Mario Rabbids), Splinter Cell Blacklist... All same date ports and they ran excellent.

Switch's general library lacks diversity, some modern genres like FPS, TPS, open world action and arcade racing are under represented. Ubisoft can fill those spots with their franchises perfectly and they don't have to be modern ports from PS4 or Xbox One. Even last gen ports would be appreciated. Like Far Cry, I don't understand why Far cry 3 Classic skipped Switch.

I do agree their volume is a bit low (for now) but to be fair Watch Dogs was notoriously not a same day port on Wii U.

But in general it will probably be more worthwhile to compare support these platforms received at the end of their lives, not just 2 years into the current one's.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, that's why I don't understand things like this 😢

Hellblade isn't a full priced game and generally speaking the ratio of physical:digital sales for games which aren't full priced games (or at least, similarly highly priced) leans far more towards digital. At least in the UK, this is generally because physical copies rarely ever sell for the full RRP, especially preorders. Whereas digital copies are locked to that.

Hellblade is admittedly a bit of a weird one because it's more expensive than most indie games but still cheaper than a full priced release but I'd assume they have the data from the other versions to show that physical wouldn't be worth it for them.

I don't know what others think but my opinion is Ubisoft lineup for Wii U was much better and more diverse than current Switch support. Two Assassin's Creed games, Watch Dogs, ZombiU (imo, it was a much better exclusive than Mario Rabbids), Splinter Cell Blacklist... All same date ports and they ran excellent.

Watch Dogs on Wii U? Ran excellent? The hell are you drinking? Hell even Blacklist was a pretty terrible port that spent a lot of time in the low 20FPS range.

Last edited:

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I know about the bug in FBW that was fixed rather quickly. But was there anything else about the ports that was broken?

Both suffer from really bad framerates. FBW also constantly crashed but I think they fixed that, I never returned to the game.

I do agree their volume is a bit low (for now) but to be fair Watch Dogs was notoriously not a same day port on Wii U.

But in general it will probably be more worthwhile to compare support these platforms received at the end of their lives, not just 2 years into the current one's.

I really hope so. Switch's userbase is constantly growing, soon it will be more to these companies than just an afterthought. I'm hoping to get exclusives from Ubisoft for Switch in same caliber with Red Steel or ZombiU in the near future. I need some serious action on my Switch and only they can deliver that.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Umm, what? What do these have to do with broken ports? What does Mario + Rabbids selling well have to do with old Assassin's Creed ports? It's not like Ubisoft going around like "Man, Mario + Rabbids has sold so good, I should put just a tiny bit effort in porting South Park games and port only the worst Assassin's Creed game to Switch. I understand Switch market, they don't want the good AC games like Ezio Collection". Like every other western third party studio, they don't care. Their support for Switch is nowhere near their support Wii and Wii U.

You asked why they would pitch for a major 1st party IP for a system edit: and then not do ports.

I quite bluntly answered your question. Because it makes a lot more sense to do that than what you proposed.

They have finite resources and thus try to make the best possible choices when considering what games to develop, port etc.

Mario + Rabbids was clearly better choice than your AC collection or Far Cry 3.

edit: Edited instead into "and then not do" because 9-Volt didn't say instead

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Umm, what? What do these have to do with broken ports? What does Mario + Rabbids selling well have to do with old Assassin's Creed ports? It's not like Ubisoft going around like "Man, Mario + Rabbids has sold so good, I should put just a tiny bit effort in porting South Park games and port only the worst Assassin's Creed game to Switch. I understand Switch market, they don't want the good AC games like Ezio Collection". Like every other western third party studio, they don't care. Their support for Switch is nowhere near their support Wii and Wii U.
This has nothing to do with the Switch itself but the fact that their AAA projects take up more and more ressources. Especially with more of their titles being run as GAAS and the preparation for next generation.

Using some ressources for a 360/PS3 ---->WiiU was easier to justify than this generation where those ressources could be used to make your big AAA game even bigger.

They are probably more interested to just wait for a more powerful Switch down the line or for streaming to become more viable instead of trying to port all these games to the current model.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This has nothing to do with the Switch itself but the fact that their AAA projects take up more and more ressources. Especially with more of their titles being run as GAAS and the preparation for next generation.

Using some ressources for a 360/PS3 ---->WiiU was easier to justify than this generation where those ressources could be used to make your big AAA game even bigger.

They are probably more interested to just wait for a more powerful Switch down the line or for streaming to become more viable instead of trying to port all these games to the current model.

Or, if the Xbox game streaming thing really does happen they might just be waiting for that to then stream all of their current gen games to Switch.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Streaming will be an easy out for developers. It is what it is. Not all will do it and Nintendo can still get third party exclusive games made of course.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

Ubisoft employs the most manpower in the business. I don't think the whole "they have limited resources so they have to have limited support" thing works for them. No one asks them to bring current gen AAA games to Switch anyway. Until Switch gets a huge userbase, they can fill up the schedule with last gen ports. To build up a genre diversity in Switch, the system lacks backwards compatibility after all. Best example is Far cry 3 Classic Edition, came out on PS4 and Xbox One last year but skipped Switch. Switch could use a game like that, the system has only 2 proper FPS games. Their last gen lineup is a treasure chest filled with gems, many Nintendo and handheld only fans have yet to experience.

What they should do right now is being done by THQNordic, bringing their last gen library to earn some free money (they have 5 releases and 1 distribution for the first half of the year). Switch has yet to receive a open world action game and they're the first one to collect the prize with Saints Row. Smart thing to do and makes one wonder why the one of biggest supporter of Ubisoft isn't doing the same. They do, but very slowly.

When the userbase hitsa certain number where exclusive projects are super profitable, we will see some interesting projects from Ubisoft and others.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Just to put this whole stupid "THQ is superb in terms of support compared to Ubi"

THQ:
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Darksiders: Warmastered Edition

De Blob
De Blob 2
Legend of Kay
The Raven Remastered
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
This Is the Police

This Is the Police 2
Titan Quest

Zero exclusives. Zero actual AAA titles

UBI:
Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey Cloud

Brawlhalla
Just Dance 2017
Just Dance 2018
Just Dance 2019
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Monopoly
Rayman Legends
South Park: The Fractured but Whole
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Sports Party
Trials Rising
Uno
Valiant Hearts: The Great War

Starlink: Battle for Atlas

One exclusive AA(A) title with another that has massive exclusive content. Trying a completely new thing by streaming one of their core AAA Titles on Switch. Bringing their biggest seller Just Dance again on Switch and porting AA and indie games just like THQ does along with their own ports.

So let's cut the crap. Ubisoft is heads and shoulders above any other third party when it comes to Switch support as of now.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Just to put this whole stupid "THQ is superb in terms of support compared to Ubi"
So let's cut the crap. Ubisoft is heads and shoulders above any other third party when it comes to Switch support as of now.

Square and Bethesda are absolutely on par with Ubi. Especilly if you look at announced (but not released) games.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Square and Bethesda are absolutely on par with Ubi. Especilly if you look at announced (but not released) games.

Shit. Completely forgot about Square. Absolutely.

Bethesda can also be argued to have pretty good support considering how they bring current games to system and the fact that they don't publish nearly as much as Ubi for example.

I accept this completely and 100%

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Which has a better chance of being revealed at E3- Retro's game or Monolith Softs new IP or Wave Race?
Aim higher

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ferikkain%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F03%2Fzelda-climbing-1.jpg

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Which has a better chance of being revealed at E3- Retro's game or Monolith Softs new IP or Wave Race?
After the long wait it took for Xenoblade X, I think they'll try to wait until it's near ready to release. Seriously, Xenoblade X had 3 E3 appearances before it hit stateside. And Xenoblade 2 was pretty good in reveal to release.

Nintendo's has some games worth talking about now. Best keep surprises for later times.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
At this point, anyone should have more faith in Monolith Soft than in Retro.

Wouldn't be surprised if their new IP is revealed at E3 for a 2020 release.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
And I think most rational people have accepted these very notions, already. That said, however, I don't think anything prevents various publishers from putting more "mid-tier" efforts on Switch, which may end up being exclusives that serve an end to being a feather in the cap for the platform, its fans and even the pubs themselves who can say "look at what we've done to support this demographic".

That's part of the reason I think a game from the Monster Hunter "Portable" team is coming for the Switch. I also wouldn't be surprised if something like the third Resident Evil game that Dusk Golem hints at is something akin to a Revalations-level game that, while it isn't a mainline title and isn't made using RE Engine, is still something that plays to the Switch's strengths and offers a unique experience for the platform.
Capcom has a lot of mid tier franchises and series that make sense for Switch release. Like you said there's MH Portable and RE Revelations but also Ace Attorney, Street Fighter, Sengoku Basara, Okami, Mega Man / X / Legends, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Viewtiful Joe, E.X.Troopers, Vs., etc, etc. Missing mainly just the RE Engine ports and MHW isn't entirely critical and there's a ton Capcom can still do on the platform.

Also the nextgen Switch will probably be well suited to get those higher end ports the current Switch misses out on. For some series (like Assassin's Creed, Devil May Cry, Kingdom Hearts, FallOut, Yakuza, GTA, etc) it can make sense to port 360/PS3 era AAA games and remasters to build an audience now and lay the groundwork for porting those PS4/XBO era AAA games to Switch 2.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Retro given how long their game has been on the grill. I don't think Monolith Soft has had enough time since Torna to have a game ready for the first half of next year.

Not everyone at Monolith worked on Torna (in fact, the Xenoblade team seems to have become its own development department), and they've been working on their new IP since 2017. While I'm not sure about it coming out in the first half of next year, I don't think Torna's development would really have much impact on its development timeline.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
They just gave MP4 to Retro. I cannot imagine a world where Nintendo would give such a reboot to a studio not able to produce a single game in more than 5 years, or this is some 4D chess I can't understand. Retro has to have a game more or less ready to be revealed. The good news is that it's now almost sure that it won't be Starfox Fucking GP, which was a terrible idea to begin with. If Retro's games isn't shown in 2019, there will be legitimate reasons to be concerned about MP4. I know I will.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if Retro would make an F-Zero game. Hmm. Not something I'd want, but maybe their name attached to it would get me to play it.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if Retro would make an F-Zero game. Hmm. Not something I'd want, but maybe their name attached to it would get me to play it.
an F-Zero game that's some ship/racing, and on foot 3D adventure action would be interesting.
I imagine the cutscenes in a F-Zero world would be stupid and interesting ha

though maybe a JP dev would better do the zanyness. Gameplay wise I think Retro could pull off the Genre-mashup perfectly.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
an F-Zero game that's some ship/racing, and on foot 3D adventure action would be interesting.

though maybe a JP dev would better do the zanyness. Gameplay wise I think Retro could pull off the Genre-mashup perfectly.

I could easily see F-Zero: Falcon Fury by PlatinumGames.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That'd be cool. I can see Retro pulling something new off with F-Zero. What if Retro wanted to do it? Or Nintendo just couldn't think of what direction to take F-Zero to make it more popular and sell well? Maybe Retro could've had some nice ideas for the franchise.

I think many Nintendo fans want to see F-Zero thriving so it can become a franchise we get every generation.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A friend sent me this and WOWZA, this is enlightening if true. The whole "deleted posts" thing might genuinely be true. (No Trigger Warnings necessary since it seemed nobody replied to the initial post in this thread.)
http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/453163062
expected. something that always gets me with these leaks is that they always have a "broad strokes" listing. "platinumgames" being it. cause if you knew the contents of the direct, you'd know about Astral Chain.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Liam's latest podcast he said after doing more research and talking to sources around Nintendo, Nintendo could be reviving Scalebound. It wouldn't be the same Scalebound of course with certain things Microsoft was pushing. He's heard Kamiya been working on a project that's airtight sealed to prevent leaks.

Last edited:

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
In Liam's latest podcast he said after doing more research and talking to sources around Nintendo, Nintendo could be reviving Scalebound. It wouldn't be the same Scalebound of course with certain things Microsoft was pushing. He's heard Kamiya been working on a project that's airtight sealed to prevent leaks.
I don't know why people kept assuming Scalebound for Switch had to be the exact same game MS showed for Xbox One. No report ever implied that.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
How could it be airtight sealed yet at the same time Liam can tell "Nintendo could be reviving Scalebound. It wouldn't be the same Scalebound of course with certain things Microsoft was pushing."? Unless these are two separate projects, what he says doesn't make sense, since if it is the same project it is clearly not airtight sealed....

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I don't know why people kept assuming Scalebound for Switch had to be the exact same game MS showed for Xbox One. No report ever implied that.

Most reasonable people here have said that if Scalebound happens to be the game, it will most likely be heavily reworked from both a technical viewpoint, but also a gameplay viewpoint (what we saw from the xbox1 version kind of sucked). I've also seen numerous people people saying that some of the curious design choices made in the game could have been the result of Microsoft's influence, and thus could be heavily altered in the game ended up under Nintendo's banner.

Personally, Scalebound is still my bet, as it was from the beginning, just because it roughly fits the few info we got. It remains unlikely, but less unlikely than the other candidates in my opinion.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Backtracking pretty hard from his previous video then. Like other times he's been wrong.
Yeah, weird. It never really made sense, it wasn't logical at all. Games are designed differently depending on platforms, but that doesn't mean you need to change IPs for that.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I know Nintendo just did a Direct recently, but it seems they are preparing to launch an unannounced product soon.

It is currently in the manufacturing stage and might be a pretty controversial release, so I'm surprised it has not been announced yet. Haven't been able to find information about it online other than speculation either.

If anybody is interested I may be able to share more insight later this week. I just need to confirm a couple of things before specifying in exact detail.

DM me if you are reputable and I can verify things.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Liam touched on a couple more things from what Nate said about Microsoft and Nintendo and what he's heard. Some stuff he's heard is Gamepass is coming to Switch through project cloud, Microsoft and Nintendo have had specific discussions to make original games for Xbox and Switch, heard about downloadable games coming to Switch like Ori and Lucky's Tale.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I know Nintendo just did a Direct recently, but it seems they are preparing to launch an unannounced product soon.

It is currently in the manufacturing stage and might be a pretty controversial release, so I'm surprised it has not been announced yet. Haven't been able to find information about it online other than speculation either.

If anybody is interested I may be able to share more insight later this week. I just need to confirm a couple of things before specifying in exact detail.

Ain't that the Switch lite everyone is talking about for 2019?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

You might have better luck on Twitter than here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

It was Liam's arguments that made me drop that thought. Now I'm picking it back up and there's nothing you can do to stop that!

E3 megaton baybee!

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Idk why people would think it would be the same Scalebound. I ain't part of that crowd.

How could it be airtight sealed yet at the same time Liam can tell "Nintendo could be reviving Scalebound. It wouldn't be the same Scalebound of course with certain things Microsoft was pushing."? Unless these are two separate projects, what he says doesn't make sense, since if it is the same project it is clearly not airtight sealed....

He didn't say Kamiya's airtight Project is Scalebound. He doesn't know what it is. He just speculated maybe it is Scalebound or something else, but he heard it's airtight whatever he's working on.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017

That seems too vague to properly gauge what you could be discussing. I assume you mean the rumored Labo release, which has been discussed far beyond speculation at this point.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Quite a few people have been telling us to expect a Labo announcement soon, so I assume that's what you're referring to. If not, color me intrigued!

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This was pretty much my assumption based on, well, everything.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Liam touched on a couple more things from what Nate said about Microsoft and Nintendo and what he's heard. Some stuff he's heard is Gamepass is coming to Switch through project cloud, Microsoft and Nintendo have had specific discussions to make original games for Xbox and Switch, heard about downloadable games coming to Switch like Ori and Lucky's Tale.
So what was already said by jeuxvideo.com and got multiple threads about then.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also on the Wonderful 101 port, Liam said he's heard Nintendo is for it, but they want Platinum to help fund it and it sounds like Platinum doesn't want to fund it.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys I heard that Nintendo might be going into very controversial business markets and started to manufacture some kind of games products

Status
Not open for further replies.