• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Necro Felipe

Editor-in-chief at Universo Nintendo
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Brasil
Look at how the Pokémon series has evolved over the past decade(s)

Look at how these titles are performing commercially

And then ask yourself: would Game Freak really throw out their way of doing things in order to appeal to vocal older fans who are asking them to basically re-define the series from the ground up? Would such a paradigm shift make sense for a series like Pokémon, an IP with a large target demographic? Right now?

Don't get me wrong: I too love to imagine how certain games might end up after major changes in design and production, but in the case of Pokémon, this whole idea of a "BOTW Pokémon" is just not realistic in my opinion and considering I see this sentiment more and more, I think it's time to get realistic again. And no, this is not me commenting on Gen 8 in any shape or form - I do have not a single clue of what that game will be even though I expect it to be a clear step up from the LG games

I dunno what to expect from gen 8 but I hope that they've learned how much fans loved the Pokémon following trainers and – if possible – the LGPE way to encounter wild Pokémon would be welcome ( Yeah, I'm bored of random wild battles tbh)

Tokki

Feb 10, 2019
As an Animal Crossing fan, this doesn't bother me that much. AC seems like a pretty intricate game to create, not to mention the changes and additions that need to be done for localization. I'll gladly wait until September if it means the game is more polished.

That being said, I'll be upset if there's no AC news in the upcoming Direct. Guess I need to start bracing myself for disappointment. :'D

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

And then ask yourself: would Game Freak really throw out their way of doing things in order to appeal to vocal older fans who are asking them to basically re-define the series from the ground up? Would such a paradigm shift make sense for a series like Pokémon, an IP with a large target demographic? Right now?

Don't get me wrong: I too love to imagine how certain games might end up after major changes in design and production, but in the case of Pokémon, this whole idea of a "BOTW Pokémon" is just not realistic in my opinion and considering I see this sentiment more and more, I think it's time to get realistic again. And no, this is not me commenting on Gen 8 in any shape or form - I do have not a single clue of what that game will be even though I expect it to be a clear step up from the LG games

I just want a behind the shoulder/controllable camera, man.

SurTAR

Dec 9, 2018
I thought Animal Crossing would be a Summer title, not just because it's the season when you can do more things but because it's also the time when most people (including kids) have time to play it, more events take place... And it's also big enough to boost the sales by itself.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
The redeeming factor is all the dates are on a Friday.
It's not really that hard to just put fake Friday dates, though. Why would Nintendo have already released dates for the games to retailers? Especially the statement is contradicting because you could possibly believe the dates if we were going to be getting official dates in Wednesday's direct. I just don't think that makes sense.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not really that hard to just put fake Friday dates, though. Why would Nintendo have already released dates for the games to retailers? Especially the statement is contradicting because you could possibly believe the dates if we were going to be getting official dates in Wednesday's direct. I just don't think that makes sense.
It is weird that Fire Emblem didn't get a leaked date. The Animal Crossing for September could've been a lucky guess.

ViperViking

Jan 15, 2019
I thought Animal Crossing would be a Summer title, not just because it's the season when you can do more things but because it's also the time when most people (including kids) have time to play it, more events take place... And it's also big enough to boost the sales by itself.

I don't think I've ever seen these retailer release date "leaks" be accurate, so I wouldn't count out AC in the summer just yet... We'll most likely get official news in 2 days, can't we just wait before we start assuming bad things are coming?

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I'd probably assume I was having a stroke. Or otherwise hallucinating.

But if I had to pick a QFG rep I'd go one of the female characters, since I generally think they're better than the rest in that series. Katrina would be the best, then maybe Elsa or Uhura. Kreesha could be interesting too.

12 year old me would pick the Rusalka without hesitation though
I immediately thought of Johari for female and right after that Elyssa. Elyssa would fit Dead or Alive better though :D

Uhura would be great though as well.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
42609884-6444-462-D-9-ECA-546-AF0181012.jpg

Oh my god, I just realised we are all like Cartman in that double Southpark Story where he is desperate for the Wii in this thread aren't we?

CF6-E3114-F0-DA-4318-9-D21-1-C36-E202-CC3-F.jpg

Please excuse my awful photoshop skills, but updated it lol

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

While keeping expectations in check is always right, I want to point out that it was King Zell himself who started the whole "Gen 8 will be Pokeymanz BotW"
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...-new-year-new-mii.90098/page-20#post-16524744

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Super Mario Kart #4 best selling game on SNES
Mario Kart 64 #2 best selling game on N64
Mario Kart Super Circuit #4 best selling game on GBA
Mario Kart Double Dash #2 best selling game on GameCube
Mario Kart DS #3 best selling game on DS
Mario Kart Wii #2 best selling game on Wii
Mario Kart 7 #1 best selling game on 3DS
Mario Kart 8 #1 best selling game on Wii U
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe #1 best selling game on Switch

This franchise, which has never performed worse than being the 4th best selling game on it's console, has spun off to become more popular than the franchise it's originally based off of, invented a genre, and spawned a legion of imitators isn't impactful? What?!

SurTAR

Dec 9, 2018
If Animal Crossing were to be a September game, then where would Mario Maker 2 come? December or October.
It's difficult to believe because the last four months would be so packed. Imagine having Pokémon, Zelda 2D, Mario Maker 2, Animal Crossing and probably something else in the last four months. They're literally the 4 most emblematic Nintendo IP's

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
I'm fine with Animal Crossing coming out in September, I was thinking it would come out in August so one more month isn't that big of a deal for me, BUT I'll be upset if we get zero Animal Crossing news this upcoming direct.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
This franchise, which has never performed worse than being the 4th best selling game on it's console, has spun off to become more popular than the franchise it's originally based off of, invented a genre, and spawned a legion of imitators isn't impactful? What?!
Exactly. Mario Kart is basically a safe purchase: the perfect game to compete with friends and play with guests. It's funny, easy to learn and it looks amazing (well, only DD and 8 look amazing).

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing will most likely be a summer release. At least I hope so.

I appreciate Zell here, but I don't believe it until I see it - because right now nothing to me implicates that GF would make such drastic changes to their winning formula

Fair enough. I'm also not too sure what to think about that. This whole "super ambitious Pokémon game on the same level as BotW" sounds too much like a fans wet dream, but then again, it's King Zell. His track record is pefect as far as I'm concerned.

Welp doesn't matter anyway, we will most likely see in the next month.

Last edited:

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think gen 8 is gonna revolutionize Pokemon, i just think the graphics would be so good that people will end up not caring

Status
Not open for further replies.