• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yes, new Story of Seasons next year!

Nothing else was of any interest to me.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Recently sold my Switch lite to pay off my PS5.

Heavily considering selling my main switch and library as well and try to grab a Series X at launch as well. Nintendo just hasn't announced anything that grabs me and I've barely had reason to touch the thing since Pokemon (which was only kinda okay) and Xenoblade (also was pretty meh). Starting to feel more and more like the library just isnt to my taste.
You should sell your Switch then. No point in keeping it if you dont enjoy it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Part time ufo bought!

NMH worth playing? I've never actually played the series but I could go for an action game

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Bravely Default 2, Story of Seasons Switch, and RF 5 (Japanese Direct). 2021 is already looking pretty stacked on the 3rd-party exclusives front (including 2 MH games).

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
Recently sold my Switch lite to pay off my PS5.

Heavily considering selling my main switch and library as well and try to grab a Series X at launch as well. Nintendo just hasn't announced anything that grabs me and I've barely had reason to touch the thing since Pokemon (which was only kinda okay) and Xenoblade (also was pretty meh). Starting to feel more and more like the library just isnt to my taste.
Ok?
Just sell it lol. No one is forcing you to keep it and if the games are not up to your taste then bail out

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
How exactly do Cloud versions work? I'm checking Control on the eShop right now and it says "Free Download". That can't be right, can it?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Wow, Persona 5 Scramble managed to miss all of the partner showcases. I'm not even surprised anymore, just annoyed.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I really don't know what they're trying to achieve with this BD2 graphic style.

It's an evolution of the DS FF remakes/Four Heroes of Light. The abstract style worked on the DS & 3DS but I agree, it's starting to show its limits. I think they should try to move towards something more reminiscent of FF7-10. I also want ATB battles instead of FF1-3 multi-hit turn-based battles.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Ok?
Just sell it lol. No one is forcing you to keep it and if the games are not up to your taste then bail out
Did I infer someone was forcing me to keep it? Maybe I'm hesitant in hopes of some sort of announcement of something I want to play? Maybe I'm hesitant because I enjoy the hardware and WANT to keep it.

Don't see why you're up in arms about anything I said.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
It's an evolution of the DS FF remakes/Four Heroes of Light. The abstract style worked on the DS & 3DS but I agree, it's starting to show its limits. I think they should try to move towards something more reminiscent of FF7-10. I also want ATB battles instead of FF1-3 multi-hit turn-based battles.

But the Brave/Default turn-based battle system was one of the most well-liked things about the 3DS games (in combination with the job system). And it's also literally the name of the game.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
Did I infer someone was forcing me to keep it? Maybe I'm hesitant in hopes of some sort of announcement of something I want to play? Maybe I'm hesitant because I enjoy the hardware and WANT to keep it.

Don't see why you're up in arms about anything I said.
I am not up in arms but I still don't get what your personal problem with switch's library has to do with this partner direct thread.

Edit: I now see my inital commentsounded harsher than I intended. Didn't mean it in any antagonizing way

Last edited:

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
I just can't handle the chibi design of Bravely Default 2, especially after Octopath. I know many people won't mind it but it just looks so ugly to me.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I think the issue is combining very detailed textures with SD designs. It just looks odd like that. They should just have gone with full sized characters. I don't think the battles or anything else need to change though (well, I haven't played the demo, I'm just going by the previous games and this trailer). They just need to get rid of the SD characters.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Fuck that. Square enix are finally making proper turn based games again, don't gimp them by going down the same crap path FF did.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I played both bravely games on the 3DS, and I don't know, this just doesn't seem like an evolution from that. On 3DS the game felt like playing through book illustrations or something (best I can find as a comparison). In here, the backgrounds look like an evolution, but then the characters and monsters have this extremely realistic detailed look to them texture wise next to the models with the strange porportions.

I don't know, maybe they could have gone with cel shading, or a more abstract way of texturing things to make everything fit together better.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
But the Brave/Default turn-based battle system was one of the most well-liked things about the 3DS games (in combination with the job system). And it's also literally the name of the game.

I only played the demo of BD1 so I'm not an expert, but don't you think the Brave/Default system could be adapted to ATB? It's just a method of stock piling actions until a later point, right? I don't see how that's incompatible. Anyway, the ATB thing is just my preference, I think it's more fun that true turn-based and I'm desperate for something to take up ATB gameplay now that FF is going full action.

They just need to get rid of the SD characters.

Agreed.

Fuck that. Square enix are finally making proper turn based games again, don't gimp them by going down the same crap path FF did.
Like I said above, I'm more of a fan of the FF4-9 & 12-style gameplay than I am of FF1-3. I love 10, but it's different beast. When I think of classic FF, I think of ATB.

Does anyone know anything about this Tropico series shown in the NA Direct? Looked kind of interesting

It's a city/economy management simulator set on a tropical island. Basically a Fidel Castro Simulator.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Is Surviving the Aftermath any good? I read some awful stuff about it on the web.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
So, to give a rundown of what we got:

-We got Bravely Default 2 (with cringe voice-acting, at least in the trailer; looked great though; out on 2/26/2021)

-Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town (basically some sim where you build your own town)

-Paradox's Age of Empires-like game called Surviving The Aftermath.

-Immortals Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft's open-world game; looks alright, in my estimation, on the Switch; comes December 3, 2020)

-Bakugan: Champions of Vestoria is still... Bakugan; can't say I'm interested.

-Griftlands (Indie deck-building Rogue-like being ported)

-Tropico 6 (you can steal world monuments apparently)

-Hitman III is getting a "Cloud Version" of the game for the Nintendo Switch and it looks no different than its other versions so maybe that's a good sign...

-Control (IGN's GOTY) is also getting a "Cloud Version;" requires persistent high-speed Internet according to the trailer, so we'll see how that goes

-No More Heroes III with another trailer

-...Which leads to a reveal of No More Heroes I and No More Heroes II being ported to the Nintendo Switch.

-Part Time UFO is an eShop title and looks pretty fun; out now

-Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity getting a demo that's out right now; apparently, you can control Divine Beasts in the game and it looks pretty awesome.

Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnd that's about it!

Anything I missed?

Also, from JP Direct:

Railway simulator A-train on the JP direct

Thanks AcademicSaucer

Oct 25, 2017

-We got Bravely Default 2 (with cringe voice-acting, at least in the trailer; looked great though; out on 2/26/2021)

-Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town (basically some sim where you build your own town)

-Immortals Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft's open-world game; looks alright, in my estimation, on the Switch; comes December 3, 2020)

-Hitman III is getting a "Cloud Version" of the game for the Nintendo Switch and it looks no different than its other versions so maybe that's a good sign...

-Control (IGN's GOTY) is also getting a "Cloud Version;" requires persistent high-speed Internet according to the trailer, so we'll see how that goes

-...Which leads to a reveal of No More Heroes I and No More Heroes II being ported to the Nintendo Switch.

-Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity getting a demo that's out right now; apparently, you can control Divine Beasts in the game and it looks pretty awesome.

Anything I missed?
Railway simulator A-train on the JP direct

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
I am not up in arms but I still don't get what your personal problem with switch's library has to do with this partner direct thread.
Because its more games I'm not a fan of. Disappointing showcase for me, and these were the initial thoughts after seeing it.

Not sure how that wasnt obvious.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Anything I missed?
japan had a few announcements that were not in the western direct

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
I was tempted to get Watch Dogs today, but I just might go back to the anarchy of NMH 1+2 until Hyrule Warriors next month.