• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3c7.gif
I wasn't the one who said no first party games to begin with, just not stoked about what they did show. Big whoop.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Nothing exciting to me except for Bravely Default II.

Still have lots to play throughout this dry season, thankfully.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
They just glossed right over the Star Wars podracing game, you assholes!! Otherwise nothing for me in this mini-direct, glad to get a May release date on XBC and might buy Panzer Dragoon which dropped surprisingly early. I'm guessing there was a real Direct planned and they gutted it into a mini one due to coronavirus.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
After watching that all I can think is thank god I have a PS4 and Xbox One as well. Looking like an awful year for Nintendo.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Clubhouse Games and Good Job! are Nintendo-owned IPs.

They are first party games.

There's no clear definition. A lot of people think internally developed when saying First Party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_developer#First-party_developer

Owning the IP doesn't mean shit, what matters to gamers are the developers behind it.
Anyway, this Direct probably means no new games from Nintendo internal teams (Or HAL and IntSys, etc...) before the second half of the year :(

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Clearly not, given the numerous people in this thread calling them first party.

Yeah because this thread is the worldwide reference lol. Anyway, the point is no new internal Nintendo games in a while.

they're wrong then. a game published by a platform holder is first party. if we go by that definition fire emblem, smash, kirby, link's awakening, luigi's mansion 3, those are not 1st party either.

There's a world of difference between games made by historical Nintendo developers and newly published games by Nintendo.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah because this thread is the worldwide reference lol. Anyway, the point is no new internal Nintendo games in a while.
why does it matter if the dev is owned by nintendo or not? they're nintendo games either way.
and animal crossing just came out, before that ring fit came out which was internally developed, and soon xenoblaDE (which is also internally developed).

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Wow! That was better than some E3s!
Clubhouse games looks fab, Animal Crossing events info, Pokemon DLC update, Ring Fit update is insane and could easily be charged-for, the Bioshock Trilogy, Borderlands Collection AND X-Com 2? Why not! I''ve always wanted to get into X-Com and I've never really tried it on PC even though I know it'll be the best way to play it.

Panzer Dragoon Remake & Jedi Academy shadowdrop! (although we knew about Jedi yesterday)

Fantastic mini Direct if you ask me.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
No one thinks a first party game has to be internally developed. If I own the IP and I own the publishing rights it's litetally mine.

Shit is ridiculous. Crafted World, Samus returns, Astral Chain and Luigi's Mansion 3 aren't 1st party now. Lmao stop.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
For me that was a great Direct

Good Job! looks like exactly the sort of thing I love to see Nintendo produce
Clubhouse Games 51 is just what I want on a Switch Lite
Bioshock, Borderlands, XCOM, Need for Speed are all long overdue ports
ARMS character for Smash is something nice to be confirmed
That Ninjala game looked like great fun

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one thinks a first party game has to be internally developed. If I own the IP and I own the publishing rights it's litetally mine.

Shit is ridiculous. Crafted World, Samus returns, Astral Chain and Luigi's Mansion 3 aren't 1st party now. Lmao stop.
this is just a nonsensical boring argument people keep having for years. everyone knows what first party games are, except some people who don't know how game development and publishing and IP and game ownership works.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Since when Paladin Studios is first party? You mean Nintendo-published? Then it doesn't mean anything.
First party means internally developed or close (HAL, IntSys) for most gamers.
From the Good Job! product page:

© 2020 Nintendo. Good Job! And Nintendo Switch are trademarks of Nintendo.

From the Clubhouse Games product page:

© 2020 Nintendo. Clubhouse Games and Nintendo Switch are trademarks of Nintendo.

Nintendo fully owns both of these games; they're not just publishing games made by outside studios.

Compare to Bayonetta:

© SEGA Published by Nintendo. Nintendo Switch is a trademark of Nintendo. © 2017 Nintendo.

or Octopath Traveler:

©SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
why does it matter if the dev is owned by nintendo or not? they're nintendo games either way.
and animal crossing just came out, before that ring fit came out which was internally developed, and soon xenoblaDE (which is also internally developed).

Why does it matter? Are you really asking that? So for you, Astral Chain and let's say Pikmin are both Nintendo games? Same design philosophy and so on?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Why does it matter? Are you really asking that? So for you, Astral Chain and let's say Pikmin are both Nintendo games? Same design philosophy and so on?

Holy shit, why are you still doing this despite your argument falling apart a while ago?

You can't use the "Nintendo-owned developer" argument anymore so you've moved to "design philosphy."

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, why are you still doing this despite your argument falling apart a while ago?

You can't use the "Nintendo-owned developer" argument anymore so you've moved to "design philosphy."

Yes because it's what I meant in the first place, it's my definition of first party and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Anyway, forget about the term first party if it doesn't speak to you in the same way, let's call it instead "Internally developed games or historically close studios", that's all I'm saying, no new games of that kind before June at the earliest and I find it sad.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
design philosophy? why are we talking about design philosophy? do brain age and metroid prime have the same design philosophy? (both "internally" developed)

Yes because it's what I meant in the first place, it's my definition of first party and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Anyway, forget about the term first party if it doesn't speak to you in the same way, let's call it instead "Internally developed games or historically close studios", that's all I'm saying, no new games of that kind before June at the earliest and I find it sad.
you could have just said there aren't any games releasing before june that you're into, and left it at that.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Waited this long for a big nothing of a direct. I'm going to just assume the good stuff was delayed.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, people should be talking more about Good Job!

Games seems awesome. And the trailer they've uploaded on YouTube is straight outta Aperture Science videos... with less J. K. Simmons.