• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2019
Overall just a rock solid direct. Non-stop content, cool surprises, and a genuinely astounding rest of year lineup.

Day Zero Tier
:
Mario Maker and Smash DLC, because I have already bought these. As a DQ fan, the first trailer was awesome, and I really didn't expect a second, equally great reveal.

Day one tier
:
Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Complete redemption after appearing pretty meh in the last direct. Better designs, a little more story focus, and seemingly a potentially clever approach to bridge the waifu emblem / masochist emblem crowds.
Dragon Quest 11 S: Excited that this one is so close!
Secret of Mana Collection: I don't care, I'm playing an official copy of Secret of Mana collection 2 in english. This is amazing
Hollow Knight: Silksong
Zelda: Breath of the Majora. I don't care how little we know, this is clearly awesome.
Pokemon (the last direct / Wild Area had me)
Crosscode (not featured in the direct, still a top-tier 2019 release)

Wait and see tier:
Luigi's Manion 3: Looked really strong, but 100% comes down to whether they keep or drop this mission structure for 2, which killed an otherwise solid game.
Astral Chain: Looks interesting, but will wait for the reviews.
Animal Crossing: Never completely gotten into the series, but the deserted island approach seems like it might do a better job of capturing my interested.
Panzer Dragoon: Amazing that this exists. It's a bold resurrection so may not necessarily work, but still awesome.
No More Heroes / Astral Chain / Marvel Ultimate: Clearly just a case of wait for the reviews.
Links Awakening. Looks promising and interesting and absolutely love the original, but will want to hear more about the new content
Trails of Mana. Every time SE remakes a classic, the gods toss a coin....

MIA tier:
Sad the Ori for Switch rumors haven't really gone anywhere. Would have bee cool if "Banjo collection remastered" was announced at the same time as the Smash reveal. Or Persona.
SNES online. Pls.
Pikmin, Bayonetta, Metroid, whatever Retro has been doing for the last 500 years, whatever Monolith is up to.

diverit

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of great games, but the direct's pacing wasn't good.
Could've used without the Bowser joke which went a tad too long.

Regardless, it was fun.
Lots of games coming out in September that I want to play which is annoying, but what can you do?

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
I don't like the practice of showing a game and saying "were working on it". Kingdom Hearts 3 did that but it didn't come out for 5 more years.
I don't mind when they do what Nintendo did. They probably showed 20+ games with fairly concrete release dates and then teased "one more thing" of a clear WIP. I think it's a nice treat for fans every once in a while.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
It's just utterly embarrassing especially when a lot of these people are gatekeeping for obvious reasons and even for games like Spyro which we all knew was coming but you dared mention it here or you're gonna upset them somehow.
Embarrassing is the word. It's also interesting that any multiplat game's downgrades from, say, the PC version are always acceptable down to their respective platform of choice, but any further downgrades will make the game pointless. It's very curious how things always seem to work out that way.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Luigi's Mansion 3 looks cool and BOTW 2 is expected, but glad to see a teaser. Nothing else did anything for me. I'll get a few months out of SMM2, but not much else for me to look forward to. Anime games aren't my thing and that seems to be what Nintendo is all about these days. Not an enjoyable E3 for me.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic Direct! Lots of great announcements in this one; my personal favorite being No More Heroes 3! So glad that it's finally happening!

Absolutely shocked at Banjo in Smash; never thought that would happen, even in a million years... but Sakurai somehow made it work! They look better than they ever have before, too! He might not be my personal top choice for a new character, but he definitely looks fun to play. Can't wait to give him a try!

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Easily the best E3 show, Nintendo have really mastered their Directs - excellent pacing and really well done trailers.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Lot of things I'm at least somewhat interested in.

BotW sequel has the potential to be really interesting, or really boring. Hope they nail it.

Speaking of Zelda, I kind of want Link's Awakening but I don't feel like a remake of a GB game is really worth $60. Might grab it on sale.

Astral Chain and Daemon x Machinae I'm on the fence about.

Empire of Sin looks right up my alley based on what they showed. Want to see more, and I'll probably get it in PC.

Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion are things I haven't played since the GameCube, and they looked pretty good here. Maybe time to try the new entries.

The Fire Emblem leaks bring real makes that game way more promising.

Probably more I'm not remembering, that Direct was dense.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Lots of great games, but the direct's pacing wasn't good.
Could've used without the Bowser joke which went a tad too long.

Regardless, it was fun.
Lots of games coming out in September that I want to play which is annoying, but what can you do?
Factually wrong. They needed to spend 30 minutes on the most obvious bit of all time. Lol

Aside from that, I thought the only lulls were Fire Emblem (because anime CGI) and Pokemon (cause we know a lot of it). Much better than previous years where they wasted like 10 minutes on Yoshi plush amiibos or where glorified Smash Directs

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Let me just say. This is the best. Love when I get to see this play out before a trailer.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty great so far... just following era, not actually watching, is it essentially confirmed no Metroid Prime trilogy announce? :(

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Wanted to say, props to Nintendo for delaying stuff when need too. Still hearing too many stories from E3 trying to celebrate developers working nights and weekend because studies won't properly plan (or delay when plans go astray) games when they need to.

Jun 8, 2019
Need to decide how many more vouchers to buy now. Already got two earmarked for Mario Maker and Fire Emblem. Another pair will cover Pokemon and Dragon Quest. Debating going for a third for two of Astral Chain / Link's Awakening / Marvel. I'd do it if they included Luigi's Mansion on the list but it's not up there yet...

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So I wonder what they're going to push as their December release. Luigi's Mansion 3 didn't get a date yet, did it? I'd think that would make more sense in October.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Retro dream is dead :( what a shame.

Was happy to see No More Heroes 3 is happening and Luigi's Mansion 3 looks great.

Breath of the Wild sequel being announced and having a teaser trailer shown was awesome and a nice surprise.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Slightly disappointed by the absence of Bayonetta 3, Retro, and a new 2.5D Metroid, but I can't say I really expected to see any of those.

Despite that, this was Nintendo's best Switch-era E3 Direct yet. Good pacing, promising games, and significantly more new announcements than I expected.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Holy shit, Nintendo brought the fucking goods this year, saying this as a major banjo and DQ fan

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So uhh... What's everybody playing on Switch this year?

I'm trying to brainstorm a way to play all of those upcoming 2019 games:

- Pokemon Sword/Shield
- Fire Emblem Three Houses
- Astral Chain
- The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt
- Collection of Mana
- Spyro reignited Trilogy
- Crash Team Racing
- DQXIS
- MUA3: The Black Order
- God Eater 3
- Oninaki

Needless to say, I won't play all of them this year. But there's a ton of fun games to be looking forward to!

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
That was an absolutely fantastic Direct, only disappointment was no Metroid and still no SNES, otherwise they hit it out of the park.

-Dragon Quest heroes in Smash, finally!

-DQ XI S Definitive Edition release date

-Animal Crossing!!

-New Mana AND Mana Collection/SD3 today!!!

-New LA trailer was so good, man that music. I'm playing through the LA right now on my GB Light import system (green indiglo backlit screen) in anticipation.

-Contra surprise

-Panzer Dragoon surprise

-New Zelda/BotW sequel announcement

Doug Bowser did a good job presenting and the opening skit with Bowser in a tie was funny. =]

Last edited:

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
BotW sequel was their big name game addition to this direct. Otherwise, Odyssey 2 or Metroid 4 would have been in that spot. They probably knew they needed SOMETHING big from their key franchises to stick in people's heads.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand. Could you elaborate? Are they or are they not including Seiken Densetsu 3 in the Mana collection, and in what form? I've been out of this discussion for over ten years.

The original seiken 3 is included in the Collection, and translated in english and main EU languages for the first time.

But next year, a full on quality remake in 3D will come out.

42dd44aa31c1caaf87fa73a3c972cc1d.jpg

It looks awesome.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy how much was suspiciously absent from this direct...

- No Retro Studios. (It's been 5 years!!)
- No Bayonetta 3.
- No Town from GameFreaks.
- I didn't expect Metroid Prime 4 just yet. But anything Metroid would've been nice.
- Absolutely no updates whatesoever concerning NSO. No new features? They're still going to dripfeed us NES games for the next year? No SNES games? Anything?? Not even a Tetris 99 update? No other surprises like Tetris 99? Dr. Mario 99 or Puzzle League 99 would have been so perfect.
- No mention of Switch Mini/Pro.
- No OS upgrades.

What else?

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how much was suspiciously absent from this direct...

- No Retro Studios. (It's been 5 years!!)
- No Bayonetta 3.
- No Town from GameFreaks.
- I didn't expect Metroid Prime 4 just yet. But anything Metroid would've been nice.
- Absolutely no updates whatesoever concerning NSO. No new features? They're still going to dripfeed us NES games for the next year? No SNES games? Anything?? Not even a Tetris 99 update? No other surprises like Tetris 99? Dr. Mario 99 or Puzzle League 99 would have been so perfect.
- No mention of Switch Mini/Pro.
- No OS upgrades.

What else?
I guess we will have to wait for the september direct for some of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.