• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I'll play the Metroid etc, but mostly I'm just thinking about the Yoko Taro card game. Is that game good with a story that does some good Yoko Taro things but also don't tell me anything because spoilers.
Uhh in the vaguest sense possible, you won't be able to figure that out from the demo. The game's pretty solid, the whole "card-based TTRPG" presentation aspect is done well and there's a lot of charm to it. But the story seems like it's separate from the actual game

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I don't necessarily disagree, IMO the problem is more "Chris Pratt" than "Not Charles Martinet"
Chris Pratt is... Fine. As a person? Idk. But Lego Movie was solid. Guardians is solid. But I can totally see why people hate the decision.

Charlie Day as Luigi though? I will defend that to the end.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Direct was meh for me. Splatoon 3 news is great but it's so far away it's hard to get too excited. Was surprised to not see Advance Wars given the focus was on winter games.
In hindsight a game that's not currently announced for Japan not showing up in a direct is maybe less surprising

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
The only thing I could think about watching this was that the Nintendo is now 2 generations behind and these graphics look awful and the frame rates are awful.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
You could say the same thing about 99% of gaming events regardless of graphical prowess.

right, but at least we get shiny new graphics. but with nintendo, you get the same gameplay with shitty graphics.

typically as a console ages, games look better because devs get better at optimizing the hardware. Just look a ps4 games during the launch year vs the latter games.

But it seems like with nintendo, the best looking games came out the first couple of years and graphics end up getting worse and worse as the system ages.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how Disco Elysium will perform on switch. I'm trying to decide which platform between steam, PS5 and switch to get this game on. Switch has a natural advantage if its performance and image quality is as good as the other two platforms. Anybody know anything regarding this?

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
right, but at least we get shiny new graphics. but with nintendo, you get the same gameplay with shitty graphics.

typically as a console ages, games look better because devs get better at optimizing the hardware. Just look a ps4 games during the launch year vs the latter games.

But it seems like with nintendo, the best looking games came out the first couple of years and graphics end up getting worse and worse as the system ages.
Rise literally came out this year and it looks great, better than any year 1 game on Switch

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now

But it seems like with nintendo, the best looking games came out the first year and graphics end up getting worse and worse as the system ages.
Just quoting this because goodness... Wii games evolved over time. But I guess everything outside the Sony circle is crap. Obvious fanboyism is so bleh

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Well that was... not much. Pretty disappointing for me personally, not one single thing for me to get excited about. Despite "focusing on 2021 games" I think more than half the stuff was 2022, plus spending time on updates for games I forgot existed, plus several announcements of a future event where the actual announcement will happen, plus a unique bonus of a whole section on some Mario movie wherein we didn't even get to see a trailer. Literally not even video games. Well, it is what it is.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
Were you expecting cutting edge graphics from a Nintendo Direct?

no, but most of these games look worse than the games that came out during the early years of the nintendo switch.

best looking game was metroid dread. but ori and the will of the wisps blows metroid dread away.

Last edited:

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
Another great direct just filled to the brim with good, core focussed games and a few cool surprises.

2021 is a fantastic Direct year.

Als bonus points for ZERO amiibo mentions this direct.

Love it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Well that was... not much. Pretty disappointing for me personally, not one single thing for me to get excited about. Despite "focusing on 2021 games" I think more than half the stuff was 2022, plus spending time on updates for games I forgot existed, plus several announcements of a future event where the actual announcement will happen, plus a unique bonus of a whole section on some Mario movie wherein we didn't even get to see a trailer. Literally not even video games. Well, it is what it is.
They didn't say focusing on 2021

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Dread
SMTV
Advance Wars 1 + 2
Kirby
Triangle Strategy
Two Pokémon games

I mean the end of this year into next year is loaded with appealing software IMO.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I'm going to come out and say it. Charles Martinet is a legend, but hearing his voice for 2 hours would give me the biggest migraine.

Not saying Chris Pratt is the biggest improvement, but hey.
he would be okay. He can play other roles than just wooohooos for mario but for a big budget title nintendo would want a big name.

www.youtube.com

Skyrim - Speaking to Paarthurnax on The Throat of the World [HD]

The very long conversation with Paarthurnax, the Dovah leader of the Grey Beards.

Jul 18, 2020
The only thing I could think about watching this was that the Nintendo is now 2 generations behind and these graphics look awful and the frame rates are awful.

3fD44Gv.jpg

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Winter starts 21 December....
Oh yeah, you're right. I always think of this winter as this year for some reason. But Kirby's out in Spring, Bayo is undated 2022, I'm guessing later than Jan/Feb, Rise is Summer, most stuff with an actual release date was next month or November, so ??? Maybe some of the stuff shown is coming earlier than I think? Who knows, I don't care that much given I'm not that interested in the games anyway.

Oh I forgot about the ROM dumps they want me to pay for. lol. Though it would be really funny if the NSO version of SM64 is superior to the 3D All Stars version.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Almost as if the device they have is a portable device and not a massive powerhouse?

"Generations behind" is such a dumb thing to say. Not everything is about graphics

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Platform Warring over a Series of Posts
Almost as if the device they have is a portable device and not a massive powerhouse?

"Generations behind" is such a dumb thing to say. Not everything is about graphics

Why don't you go back and play with your Gameboy then.

I own a switch, but I'm disappointed with the low effort games that have been coming out lately.

It's ok to criticize something, you know.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Shouldn't the games run at locked fps then at the very least? They are so good at using art styles, etc. to make their games look unique and timeless.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Chris Pratt is... Fine. As a person? Idk. But Lego Movie was solid. Guardians is solid. But I can totally see why people hate the decision.

Charlie Day as Luigi though? I will defend that to the end.

Setting aside any feeling about Chris Pratt as a person, the problem I have with the choice is that I struggle to envision his voice coming out of Mario. His is not a personality that evokes the spirit or nature of that character. It's not a perfect fit like Bob Hoskins at any rate. (The live action movie is trash, but Hoskins would have nailed the role in a movie that was closer to the source material. What a waste.)

Agreed about Charlie Day though. Hell, the rest of the cast were pretty solid picks. Jack Black as Bowser is going to be something pretty special.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Shouldn't the games run at locked fps then at the very least? They are so good at using art styles, etc. to make their games look unique and timeless.
They're still limited by hardware, but it's up to the game.

But let's not act like there aren't games with fluctuating frame rates and iffy graphics on the other platforms

Why don't you go back and play with your Gameboy then.

I own a switch, but I'm disappointed with the low effort games that have been coming out lately.

It's ok to criticize something, you know.
Yes you can criticise something. You can also be ridiculous, especially when you claim games are low effort solely because of visuals

Last edited:

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The fidelity of Bayonetta 3 was definitely disappointing, but also hitting 60fps on the Switch is gonna mean this is what you get. Also -- we were due this Animal Crossing update months ago. I'm a little disappointed it's taken them so long to put out what is (hopefully) a meaty update to one of the best-selling games. I know, I know, COVID. But the radio silence has not been handled well by Nintendo.

Otherwise, I thought it was a very solid Direct. Definitely missing some things (Xenoblade), but overall it's a good lineup.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

lol.

Please point out to me the games that play anything like Splatoon, have anything like the breadth capture system of Mario Odyssey, how BOTW has caused the entire open world RPG genre to rethink it's approach, just anything on the cale of New horizons in the animal crossing like space, I could go on for ages.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Wellllllllll….. He's a member of a pretty homophobic church.
Yeah that's what I mean. Actor? Okay. Person? Eep.
Setting aside any feeling about Chris Pratt as a person, the problem I have with the choice is that I struggle to envision his voice coming out of Mario. His is not a personality that evokes the spirit or nature of that character. It's not a perfect fit like Bob Hoskins at any rate. (The live action movie is trash, but Hoskins would have nailed the role in a movie that was closer to the source material. What a waste.)

Agreed about Charlie Day though. Hell, the rest of the cast were pretty solid picks. Jack Black as Bowser is going to be something pretty special.
I'm hoping it literally won't be "Chris Pratt doing Chris Pratt's voice". Voice direction of big celebs can work though. Benedict Cumberbatch as the Grinch was pretty good, it didn't even sound like him. I always feel bad about Hoskins' PTSD over this movie. He could wrestle with an imaginary rabbit in a sink, but this was the movie that truly haunted him.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
lol.

Please point out to me the games that play anything like Splatoon, have anything like the breadth capture system of Mario Odyssey, how BOTW has caused the entire open world RPG genre to rethink it's approach, just anything on the cale of New horizons in the animal crossing like space, I could go on for ages.
Yep those were great games. Botw is my favorite Nintendo game of all time. In smo i got every single moon. Except I never cared for animal crossing. I'm not into those collectalon games.

But where is the innovation lately from Nintendo? They seem mostly interested in releasing ports of older Wii u games. Even bowsers fury was only a quarter of a game.

I was looking forward to seeing botw2 and they didn't even show that.

Last edited:

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Very happy that we are finally getting some other 3D platform game from Nintendo that isnt Mario,
I hope new DK will also be 3D.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Yep those were great games. Botw is my favorite Nintendo game of all time. Except I never cared for animal crossing. I'm not into those collectalon games.

But where is the innovation lately from Nintendo? They seem mostly interested in releasing ports of older Wii u games. Even bowsers fury was only a quarter of a game.

I was looking forward to seeing botw2 and they didn't even show that.

The whole industry has had a quiet year this year thanks to *checks notes* a highly contagious, potentially lethal plague.

It's pretty clear from the direct and Sony's recent state of play that we'll be seeing the bigger hitters start firing back up as of the new year.

Besides, we got a Breath of the Wild 2 update just a few months ago.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Direct was mediocre for me. 3D Kirby and the showing of Bayonetta 3 were good. But as so often, I missed a lot of other games.

New game from EPD Toyo
New Game from Mario Kart Team
New game from 2DMario/Pikmin-Team
New game from Monolith
Resi Relevations 3 from Capcom

A lot of heavenly rumored stuff was missing again and this annoys me to be honest. Because now its pretty sure, that we will not SEE some of this stuff before February 2022 and we will not GET some if this stuff before late 2022 :(

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
The whole industry has had a quiet year this year thanks to *checks notes* a highly contagious, potentially lethal plague.

It's pretty clear from the direct and Sony's recent state of play that we'll be seeing the bigger hitters start firing back up as of the new year.

Besides, we got a Breath of the Wild 2 update just a few months ago.

I would disagree with that. There's been a lot high quality PS5 and pc games out this year. Not so much for the switch.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't really sold on Metroid so far but that looked pretty good. Brb checking state of Switch emulation ;)

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I would disagree with that. There's been a lot high quality PS5 and pc games out this year. Not so much for the switch.

Well, PlayStation 5 has 44 titles with a Metacritic ranking of 80 and higher since it's launch last year.

Switch has 50 rated 80 and above in this year alone.

Not bad for a system lacking quality titles.

TigerPhin

Oct 28, 2017
Was watching the Direct last night and wondering who the team is working on the Kirby game - and it hit me light a bolt of lightning that Mario Odyssey is so much a damn Kirby game in the way that throwing your hat copies enemy abilities. Obviously the platforming for Mario is very different (and sublime) compared to Kirby - but thought that was interesting after seeing a Kirby game that reminded me so much of Odyssey.