• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Overall, not too many megaton announcements, and they spent quite a bit of time on stuff we already knew about, but we got some nice announcements like the DOS 2 and Xenoblade ports, and the announcement of more Smash characters is one the only times I got verbally excited during a Direct

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
2020 already shaping up nicely for me:

(Jan) Tokyo Mirage Sessions Encore Edition
(Feb) Gods & Monsters
(Mar)Animal Crossing: New Horizons
(April) Trials of Mana

Add in undated games:
Empire of Sin
No More Heroes 3
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition

Add in games that could launch next year:
Bayonetta 3
(outside bet) Breath of the Wild 2

There's already a small stack of fairly major retail releases to keep an eye on, and a glut of late 2019 releases to get through first.

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
EDp7YpOXsAQ-Gez.png

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Definitely the best Direct in quite a long time, although once again disappointed in the Metroid department. Also which, if any of the announced games, were "Mystery game #4"?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Also, is it just me, or is there an extra area in the Xenoblade Chronicles trailer? If this is being billed as a 'Definitive Edition', then we could well be in for some extra content and other tweaks.

EDIT: I mean the scenery at the end just doesn't ring a bell with me - where Shulk and Melia are standing. Maybe it's the final shot of the reveal because it's new content?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Ok my goods and bads of this Direct:

+ Overwatch!
+ TMS is coming to Switch. Couldn't finish it on Wii U, so now I got the chance.
+ Terry on Smash!
+ Banjo Shadowdrop!
+ More Smash DLC!
+ Crane Pokémon!
+ Best AssCreed game is on Switch
+ Doom 64!
+ Best Star Wars game on Switch! I'm not kidding, Rogue Squadron is nice it's nowhere near this
+ Divinity! Never played the series, now it's my chance.

- Xenoblade 1. I hated this game, it never clicked with me. Now it's getting second handheld port? Come on.
- Many heavily rumored games were no show, especially Pikmin 3
- DMC2? Fuck off Capcom.
- Animal Crossing looks uninspired. More of the same.
- Trials of Mana is too far away!
- No further Square remasters/ports for 2020 for now
- Too much already known game trailers that revealed absolutely nothing (DQ11, Mario & Sonic)
- Many third parties were mysteriously absent. Get your shit together, Take Two!
- Deadly Premonition. It was a meh game on Xbox 360.

6/10 for me. Way worse than Feb direct, E3 and Nindies two weeks ago.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
they didn't show too much new of AC, fish bait was my biggest take away... but they've literlly showed the very start of the game and nothing else

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
That was probably objectively the best Direct they've ever done? Alongside the Smash showcase, absolutely.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
That's one of the best directs ever easily. Goddamn, Nintendo.

Also, Sakurai, thank you. Amazing stuff.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
So, an average direct, the high points for me are:

-2nd DLC Smash Season
-TMS gets an improved version
-XC gets also an improved version

Overall good direct, as we had lots of good announcements already revealed (BotW 2, AC...) it has felt good enough.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Wasn't the thing that X lacked more story content instead of gameplay?
Not really. It's just not finished. A big amount of the "story" is also in the side quests. It's not a typical RPG, that's all.
For the story, we need a X2.
But they could also kinda remake X so it's closer to their original idea, with a main protagonist and not an avatar.
We'll see.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Are we back to the 'not announced = not in development' idiocy?
Oh I've no doubt they're in development, but it's all taking far too long and there have been too many problems. It cant all be down to bad luck.

Development hell has clearly struck at Retro (for SIX years!), MP4 rebooted, Pikmin 4 rebooted. Severe delays to FE, Yoshi, AC and LM3.

Padding out NES for a year on the online is clearly not the original plan, either, so something went wrong there too - most likely a delay to an unannounced major online game meaning they needed to hold back SNES as the reason to resubscrive to the service. Maybe Star Fox GP was real for Sep? Maybe Link's Awakening remake had an online feature with the dungeon maker but that got scaled back?

Who knows... but its crystal clear all is not right.

It's all great stuff and worth waiting for - but seriously, shouldn't someone be losing their high paid senior management job over all of the above?!

Oct 27, 2017
That was the best direct in a while. Wouldn't have predict Jedi Knight being the revived Cube title.

Missing Pikmin tho. I already thought Pikmin 3 DX would be a May game like DKC TF, so I'm guessing it will be announced in Jan/Feb

There is simply too much to keep track of on switch

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
People were disappointed by this Direct?

I thought it was great.

It was disappointing for me in the sense that it showcased almost nothing I didn't already know, plan to buy, or want. Which is the nature of every Direct, relative to other people. I actually thought it was loaded with great content, but a lot of it was heavy recycled from E3, or focusing on big games I've seen more than enough of to know if I want to buy or not. I don't really care about more Luigi's Mansion, Daemon x Machina, Pokemon, or whatever else news.

The rest were mostly ports that, for some of us, hold no interest. I love Xenoblade Chronicles, but I'm not rebuying it. I don't exclusively game on Switch nor portable game enough to warrant buying Overwatch and whatnot for the platform. The rest of the ports are welcome and sometimes surprising (Jedi Knight 2), but I'm not going to buy them.

So what I'm left with is a Direct full of good content, but a vast majority of which doesn't actually appeal to me in any way, or is not something I need or have interest in watching. For me, the next interesting Direct will not be one that tells me more about Animal Crossing or Luigi's Mansion 3, but one that is more forward moving for Nintendo as a publisher, and not just reliant on Wii and Wii U ports. I could have gotten away with not wasting my commute watching it and feel I wouldn't have missed anything much of value.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
2020 is gonna start just like 2019, totally barren, except at least Animal Crossing is in there instead of another Yoshi Naptime platformer.

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Hm. I felt very underwhelmed by this direct and can't understand why everyone is so satisfied. Seems my tastes deviate pretty much from the mainstream.

Though I liked the many shadow drops, a lot of the announcements were ports of old games. The Pokemon and especially Animal Crossing showing seemed to drag on a lot (did they even show anything new for AC?)

Most disappointing thing for me was the Xenoblade Remake. I don't want to play through this 80h game again, since I know it already. I guess it's great for people who are new to the series. Something new from Monolith wouldn't have hurt.

Overall I wanted to see more "new" 1st party games for 2020, but i'll have to wait for the January / February direct. I admit it's my own fault expecting too much, lol.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
So did we get word on mystery game 4?
I don't think we did. Emily has clearly had a lot of correct info about Nintendo's line-up this year, but I didn't see anything that fit the bill for the mystery title - unless I'm mistaken? Plus, the TMS Encore Edition coming before the 2013 Wii U port wasn't in line with what Emily knew.

Entirely possible that some of Nintendo's plans have changed. They're still a very secretive company, and depending on how development is going on any one of the dozen or two dozen games that EPD, Nintendo's subsidiaries and partners are working on right now, Nintendo's release schedules likely shift all the time. Maybe they've bumped a Pikmin 3 port further down the release schedule because Pikmin 4 needs work? Maybe they're holding off on a 3D World port because Odyssey 2 is scheduled for next summer? Difficult to know.

Emily's shared a lot of accurate and interesting information, though - and joined in the pre-Direct madness, so kudos to her for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.