• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly pathetic to see how people somehow spin this to prevent Nintendo from being put in a bad light.

And it's almost even more amazing that some of you consider the word "poo" to be at all offensive to anyone over 2 years old. Or even "pile of poo" for that matter. The hell has this world come to.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
I'm honestly trying to google and check out other instances of what people are deeming improper moderation of Mario Maker 2 levels. If you know of any sources and could share them I'd appreciate it. I"m trying to get a better understanding of what's going on with the game. My personal experiences do not reflect what you're claiming I"m ignorant of.

This is an older forum I came across regarding the EXACT same user this thread is about,

I really think certain Nintendo employees just don't like the word "poo" even though others will say it's no big deal.

Just happened today as well, stuff like this happens a lot.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly trying to google and check out other instances of what people are deeming improper moderation of Mario Maker 2 levels. If you know of any sources and could share them I'd appreciate it. I"m trying to get a better understanding of what's going on with the game. My personal experiences do not reflect what you're claiming I"m ignorant of.

This is an older forum I came across regarding the EXACT same user this thread is about,

I really think certain Nintendo employees just don't like the word "poo" even though others will say it's no big deal.

Its not just the word "poo" any google search will have numerous hits from sites/people complaining about levels being brought down in the previous entry, and people have good reason to carry those concerns over into this new entry.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Lots of people had levels deleted in Mario Maker 1, one of mind was deleted more than a year after it was uploaded and some players tried to make campaigns to get other people to play their levels and prevent them from getting deleted. At this point we don't know if those policies will be in place because the game hasn't been out long enough. Given everything else about the game, where most aspects of level sharing are identical to the first game, it's safe to assume that policy will still be in place and eventually levels will start disappearing with no reliable way to prevent them and no way to reverse it. Even if Poo's situation is in any way due to his name/position then it's a good example of why Nintendo's policies here are still bad and how players are still hurt by them

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
He is really taking advantage of the spotlight he is currently getting, with his current Twitch stream « Number 1 deleted level creator » haha.
Still a shame Nintendo can delete your courses like that despite the 20€ we have to pay now.

Last edited:

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

First, did you read that thread? A person in there was just talking about how their levels were deleted and nintendo turned off the option to reupload them. If you aso know some google-fu it's not hard to find other examples:

An article from our own Patrick Klepek from 2016 as well.

There's a history of Nintendo deleting levels for no reason, so people have a reason to be concerned that they're going to be pulling the same shit.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Lots of people had levels deleted in Mario Maker 1, one of mind was deleted more than a year after it was uploaded and some players tried to make campaigns to get other people to play their levels and prevent them from getting deleted. At this point we don't know if those policies will be in place because the game hasn't been out long enough. Given everything else about the game, where most aspects of level sharing are identical to the first game, it's safe to assume that policy will still be in place and eventually levels will start disappearing with no reliable way to prevent them and no way to reverse it. Even if Poo's situation is in any way due to his name/position then it's a good example of why Nintendo's policies here are still bad and how players are still hurt by them

I think this is the really big question that we unfortunately won't know about until deep into the games life cycle. I notice in many old threads people speculate it's to save server space but there's no real official response. I can why everyone would want Nintendo to be completely open about what's going on behind the scenes on their servers though.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I've put over 60 hours into Mario Maker 2 and have been actively reading the thread here on era. Everyone's been having an awesome time and the game is phenomenal. As far as I can tell the community is super happy creating and playing levels. In fact the only two times I've seen negatively come out the wood works for Mario Maker 2 is this thread, which is just one dude complaining his "pile of poo" was moderated, and the other thread where people were flabbergasted you could only upload 32 levels to the servers. Maybe I'm just blissfully enjoying myself and the era peeps levels but nobody is mad there.

One thing I do wish Nintendo would do is support Mario Maker through their App. I would love to get an update on my level through my phone. That and notifications when someone I'm following uploads a new level. That last part should be basic.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
First, did you read that thread? A person in there was just talking about how their levels were deleted and nintendo turned off the option to reupload them. If you aso know some google-fu it's not hard to find other examples:

An article from our own Patrick Klepek from 2016 as well.

There's a history of Nintendo deleting levels for no reason, so people have a reason to be concerned that they're going to be pulling the same shit.

Yeah these are definitely what I've been seeing, but this all seems like yet another issue with the first Mario Maker entirely. Hopefully this Mario Maker keeps the levels up for far longer. I mean that's what we pay for with Nintendo Online right? (obvious sarcasm.)

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
One thing I do wish Nintendo would do is support Mario Maker through their App. I would love to get an update on my level through my phone. That and notifications when someone I'm following uploads a new level. That last part should be basic.

That would be so, so perfect for it. I haven't used the Nintendo app for any other games but if I could sit at work and queue up levels for when I get home I'd be thrilled! I remember reading that thread on era about Miyamotos comment about their Online systems and they still have a way to go.

Its not just the word "poo" any google search will have numerous hits from sites/people complaining about levels being brought down in the previous entry, and people have good reason to carry those concerns over into this new entry.

I think in the case "pile of poo", which can be construed as "pile of shit" is why this particular level was axed. But that's just speculation.

But you can kinda understand why that one got taken down yeah? Whoever at Nintendo moderated it didn't want any affiliation with it.

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Seems to me like despite being told by someone that Nintendo had no problem with the word "poo", they clearly had a problem with the word "poo".

iu

I'm on board with this "No Earthbound Port" theory.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
That would be so, so perfect for it. I haven't used the Nintendo app for any other games but if I could sit at work and queue up levels for when I get home I'd be thrilled! I remember reading that thread on era about Miyamotos comment about their Online systems and they still have a way to go.

I think in the case "pile of poo", which can be construed as "pile of shit" is why this particular level was axed. But that's just speculation.

But you can kinda understand why that one got taken down yeah? Whoever at Nintendo moderated it didn't want any affiliation with it.

I used it all the time for Splatoon 2. So nice to buy stuff without turning on my game and seeing the map rotation. It seems odd that it doesn't support the App and I find it annoying that I had to turn on Mario Maker just to see who played my eve when this information could be on my phone.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Because he's clearly made it about his own level. He's not talking about other people's creations. If this were a bigger epidemic of Nintendo moderators deleting user made levels he should've made a vid about that and not go on for 10 minutes about himself. And that's the other thing, he kept referring to Nintendo as if it were a singular entity making the choice that "pile of poo" was ok for him to use. It's quite obvious to me that there are multiple moderators who delete levels in Mario Maker and if just one of them deemed "pile of poo" to be inappropriate then that's what happened.

Because that's all there is to talk about right now. I covered Mario Maker 1 extensively for years. Nintendo has a horrible, frustrating track record at opaque policies that server their own, internal needs without making it clear how others are supposed to play by the rules. This isn't just "kaizo" levels or something with "poop" in the title—we're talking thousands of levels purged from the online database without ANY explanation, no understanding of why Nintendo took the steps they did. When your policies punish children for a game pitched at all ages, your policies suck. They employ zero community managers to speak with people, so there is no way to appeal, communicate, or plead your case. Nintendo deserves every piece of criticism they get over this. They're repeating the exact same mistakes as last time.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I used to say that paying for nintendo online membership is like paying for a big pile of shit, but even this much nintendo is denying to the subscribers, damm.

Nintendo continues to run community content like ass
What a crappy situation.
AAA puns.

Anyway, for those who are "confused": "pile of poo" clearly is not talking about a big mass of that earthbound character, and this of course atracted a lot of reports. Its not like nitnendo will pay a room full of people to review the hundreds of levels created and reported everyday when it barely does that to the games it sell on the eshop in the first place, and most people are totally cool with that in most cases, but since this very good level is made a by a proeminent personality of the community, we have a problem with that now. Of course nintendo won't open up about how much reports, and exactly parameters uses to make a ban for at least two very logical and obvious reasons:
  1. Once the community get to know what exactily the parameters are to use to get a level banned, they will of course use to troll and get even more level bans as haters, and what not, or even use to that to avoid get banned when they should and them circuvent the ban system, what in turn leads to our second reason.
  2. If everybody know what are those, we can all claim and pressure them for changes in specific points, and actually have a solid ground to point out what could go wrong, but nintendo doesn't change development of games based on demands, no matter how well grounded they are, so they put everyone in the dark so every criticsm can be shielded by the good and old "you don't know what are you talking about because you doesn't know how i made this system work"
The best way to not get sucked in these mess is to use good sense in things like naming and what not. Suck for GBP, but i very much doubt that he was unware that something like that wouldn't happen after what alreadly happened before and truly believe nintendo is personally targeting him. Hope he can figure out a way to keep going.

AdiGrateles

Dec 6, 2017
They probably had a problem with it being a play on Pooh Bear, which would lead to China banning the shit out of it.
It's a crazy, over-the-top reason to delete the level, and I'll be laughing my ass off if it does turn out to be the case.

If true, though, why don't Nintendo go the full distance and ban the username entirely?

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's a crazy, over-the-top reason to delete the level, and I'll be laughing my ass off if it does turn out to be the case.

If true, though, why don't Nintendo go the full distance and ban the username entirely?
His username on the game is "GPB" not GrandPOOBear like everywhere else so there's no reason to ban the name.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Just don't put poo in the name. I understand they said it's not the reason but c'mon - it's the only logical answer.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I remember a couple of my levels on MM1 were deleted for seemingly no reason. One of them was a Mario 1-1 remake level. Really bummed me out when the Nintendo algorithm took it down

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Because that's all there is to talk about right now. I covered Mario Maker 1 extensively for years. Nintendo has a horrible, frustrating track record at opaque policies that server their own, internal needs without making it clear how others are supposed to play by the rules. This isn't just "kaizo" levels or something with "poop" in the title—we're talking thousands of levels purged from the online database without ANY explanation, no understanding of why Nintendo took the steps they did. When your policies punish children for a game pitched at all ages, your policies suck. They employ zero community managers to speak with people, so there is no way to appeal, communicate, or plead your case. Nintendo deserves every piece of criticism they get over this. They're repeating the exact same mistakes as last time.

I really hope they aren't going to repeat something of that magnitude where thousands of levels are gone for no apparent reason. I still think it's too soon to know for certain that's how things are going to go down but not having anyone as a representative or community manager does blow. There's nobody to get any answers from because when someone speaks to a Nintendo rep they are probably not getting the full story. Or the rep doesn't even know the full picture themselves. Nintendo's hire ups most likely don't care enough to get anyone to fill the necessary role and I agree that should change.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they aren't going to repeat something of that magnitude where thousands of levels are gone for no apparent reason. I still think it's too soon to know for certain that's how things are going to go down but not having anyone as a representative or community manager does blow. There's nobody to get any answers from because when someone speaks to a Nintendo rep they are probably not getting the full story. Or the rep doesn't even know the full picture themselves. Nintendo's hire ups most likely don't care enough to get anyone to fill the necessary role and I agree that should change.
how does benefit of the doubt work when it comes to nintendo? is it an endless supply?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
how does benefit of the doubt work when it comes to nintendo? is it an endless supply?

Of course not. I'm just seeing a common trend regarding this person's(the one the topic is pertaining to) issues with Mario Maker 2 and apparently 1 as well. Before everyone thinks the entire Mario Maker ship is going down maybe it's not as dire as they're making it out to be. I think someone moderating Mario Maker levels doesn't like poo and in this particular instance it's as simple as that.

Every other controversy surrounding Mario Maker1's levels being purged from their servers is an entirely different case and should be scrutinized.
Either way, Nintendo needs community managers to clear the air and be more transparent about the whole thing. We wouldn't have this whole topic speculating if "pile of poo" is a no no at Nintendo if they were better about these things.

Last edited:

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Poo may not be the only issue, the fact that it's a play on Pooh Bear would cause issues in China.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo sometimes reminds me of Twitch or YouTube. Some moderation decisions go unexplained and appear to be plain dumb.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Did his name get sniped like other streamers? Kinda wish Nintendo worked with the streamers on guaranteeing them their names from mm1.

They didn't even invite any members of the SMM community for the MM invitational at E3, just other random Nintendo youtubers. I don't know if they care about the SMM community whatsoever. Like I said earlier, many mechanics that the community loved were removed from SMM2 and there are a bunch of new restrictions that make it a lot more frustrating to the community. I haven't heard a single instance of Nintendo engaging a major SMM streamer for feedback or anything.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Poo" being a part of his name, fine. "Pile of Poo" specifically invokes the word's slang usage of referencing feces, though, so I feel like he should have learned not to do that by now. I mean, why? Just call the level "Kai-Zero G" and be done with it.
Making themes of levels sharing the same common main name is common. I have plans to make a series of kaizo levels under the "Swinging Panic" umbrella. First was called Looming Poison (still unbeaten after 4500+ attempts) and second will be called Stormy Nights.

DannyGlover

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When Nintendo deletes a level, they should give an exact reason so people don't have to play a ridiculous guessing game.

Pretty much every online game has some online representative. Nintendo is definitely proving to be one of the worst companies for helping their game's communities with their cryptic messages.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
POO POO patrol. Nintendo is so scared of voice chat that it makes it as difficult as possible to bother with it these days. You think they're okay with POO?? Nintendo executives never poop.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Could it be that people play, find it too hard, then "report" it for being abusive content?

If that's the case it's either trolling, or being completely ignorant of what the report function is used for.

Nintendo not acting on their own systems or giving any reasoning just adds insult to injury.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
When Nintendo deletes a level, they should give an exact reason so people don't have to play a ridiculous guessing game.

Pretty much every online game has some online representative. Nintendo is definitely proving to be one of the worst companies for helping their game's communities with their cryptic messages.

This is probably the biggest glaring issue tbh. If it was the name (whether due to China, Disney, or just being rude), or something on the level. A small note sent saying they can't republish the level till problems are fixed would do wonders in building trust with the community.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
China bans Winnie the Pooh film after comparisons to President Xi

Could this possibly be the reason? That China was pissed that the most popular level invoked one of their most censored images?

Also would explain why Nintendo can't just give the guy an outright reason for the deletion.
Poo may not be the only issue, the fact that it's a play on Pooh Bear would cause issues in China.
The game isn't on sale in China.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is a large company, of course not everyone would be on the same page for small differences in moderation. Also if the level got reported a lot I'm sure the policy is to take it down anyway in case there's something they aren't seeing right away.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
So he suspects putting the word "Poo" in his level titles might be the issue, but Nintendo has assured him that it isn't as they continuously delete his levels for "inappropriate or harmful content". If only there were an obvious course of action on his part that might stop this from happening in the future. This reminds me of that scented candles tweet that people post here periodically.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish so much of this thread wasn't focused on hypothetical reasons the level may or may not have been deleted, and instead realize that of course almost certainly no one here knows why the level was deleted. As even at Nintendo themselves the amount of people that would be able to answer that question would be miniscule.

So what to discuss then, if not that? The fact that we DON'T know the answer to that question and perhaps never will. And even if it does get answered in GPB's case, there will surely be instances, just like with Mario Maker 1, where someone who's not a big YouTuber or Twitch streamer has the same happen to them but are unable to get answers.

When Nintendo deletes a level like this, at the very least the level creator should be able to get some definitive answers as to why it was or wasn't deleted, and not just vague non-answers which could mean almost anything and don't give the level creator any real guidance in what to do differently next time as they don't know what was or wasn't the problem to begin with.

That's what should he the focus here: the lack of clarity on Nintendo's part and how they should improve on that, and not hypotheticals that we may or may not ever have the answer to and are entirely beside the point which one is right or wrong. As what is the point, is that lack of clarity and how we wouldn't have to guess if it's because of the children and thinking that is a bad word despite what they've said previously, or because of the situation in China, or because of a terrible auto-mod system, or perhaps because of mass reports because of it being a hard level, or any of the other guesses.

As we wouldn't have to guess if Nintendo was just more clear on this stuff so people could know what is or isn't getting their levels deleted in the first place so they can actually not do whatever that is again and not, say, try fixing one thing (ex, the name) when that might not be the real problem in the first place and something like say people just abusing the report system to report hard levels might be instead, which is why clarity should he the focus here either way and I don't get this hypothetical game do many are playing as that doesn't really mean much without actually knowing definitively whether that's the reason or not.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Leave it to people to defend Nintendo's continued failure to make their online games a good experience in every way possible. Dumb recognize dumb.

Such extremely exaggerating post are good for nothing, but you feel better now after letting this out I suppose?

This thread is about a MM2 level that was named "pile of poo" and got deleted. Most people can tell at first glance why it was deleted. Even if the author of this level plays innocent and can not think of a reason why the deletion happened.

It's a bit embarrassing how he behaves. He should not play dumb, if a level is named like that and get deleted for inappropriate content there are no questions open.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So he suspects putting the word "Poo" in his level titles might be the issue, but Nintendo has assured him that it isn't as they continuously delete his levels for "inappropriate or harmful content". If only there were an obvious course of action on his part that might stop this from happening in the future. This reminds me of that scented candles tweet that people post here periodically.
His Mario Maker 1 levels of the same name are still up. Doesn't make sense how it's do inconsistent if that's the problem.

And either eay, that's still just reason for clarity on Nintendo's part so at the very least level creators can know this stuff definitively send not be left wondering "but what is the reason? Why are these levels deleted, but not these other ones? What exactly am I supposed to do or not do in the future to avoid that happening in the future if I don't know what the problem is to begin with?"

As like that's all GPB really wants himself, is just some answers and clarity. As he said on his stream today he has no problem at all changing the name IF that's the problem. But that requires knowing that that is, in fact, the problem first send the one thing Nintendo's the ld him is not the problem is the name. He has no problem changing it if Nintendo has a problem with it, but that requires them actually telling him that that's the problem in the first place and having that clarity instead if insisting it's not but not saying what the problem is.

As that's what it all comes back to, that clarity, so that level creators can actually fix this stuff and notrun into the sane problems sgsin in the future, but that requires knowing what the problem is to begin with.

Like, why is that not the takeaway here instead? The only reason I can guess is that would require accepting that nobody here actually knows anything about what did or didn't happen here. And that's very uncomfortable. Whereas on the other hand, if you know the answer, well, problem solved right? Nothing left to talk about, as it's obviously this or that. But admitting you don't know the answer, that leaves uncertainties in the air, send that's not a comfortable feeling, so why do that and actually try to get to the bottom of things when you can just go case closed instead despite not knowing anymore than anyone else and your guess being no better or worse than theirs.

No matter how you slice it, theirs no reason for Nintendo not to he more clear when this stuff happens so that level creators can actually be comfortable knowing what the problem was so they can actually avoid in the future and not just be guessing send just as easily be wrong.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Such extremely exaggerating post are good for nothing, but you feel better now after letting this out I suppose?

This thread is about a MM2 level that was named "pile of poo" and got deleted. Most people can tell at first glance why it was deleted. Even if the author of this level plays innocent and can not think of a reason why the deletion happened.

It's a bit embarrassing how he behaves. He should not play dumb, if a level is named like that and get deleted for inappropriate content there are no questions open.
In which case, all that would require is Nintendo actually saying and telling him that's the problem so he can fix it, which he's said he had no problem doing if that's indeed the problem. The problem with that being, that's the one thing Nintendo has told him isn't the problem and that's supported by him having Mario Maker 1 levels with very similar naming schemes still online.

It's kinda hard to fix a problem when a company's telling you that's not the problem and there's evidence to support that position is why change that when Nintendo themselves says that isn't the problem? That's not going to fix much.

And if this is something change in policy or something, that's fine, and GPB has no problem with that send that's completely fine, hut all they need to do is actually vjudt say so and stop with the gaslighting so he actually knows.

The lack of clarity in Nintendos part is the embarrassing thing here, as all else aside, there's no reason for that and it helps nothing and no one for them to he this vague, send it's even more embarrassing to see people trying vto defend it is if it's so obvious that that is indeed the problem then why can't Nintendo just say that themselves them? If it's really that obvious, that's even less reason for them to be so vague about this themselves, and certainly no reason for them to gaslight GPB insisting it's not the problem, when it actually is.

This all ultimately comes to a lack of clarity in Nintendo's part, and could easily be solved if they weren't so vague and beating around the bush for no reason, which is all GPB himself wants so he can know what the problem actually is and fix it. But apparently that's too much to ask and just bring childish or whatever, to know what the problem is so you can fix it. Like once again, if it is indeed the name, he had no problem changing it. But that would require Nintendo to actually say that's the problem first and stop gaslighting him on that point. And if it's not it, as Nintendo cksind, for them to tell him what the problem actually is.

Nintendo holds all the cards here and I can't think of a reason for them not to show their hand as keeping them hidden doesn't actually help fix anything and just leaves questions hanging, which can be answered definitively by just saying what the problem is and I can't think if a good reason for them to keep that info hidden even from GPB himself so people can know what the problem is or isn't vinsyesd at taking shots in the dark which could just send easily be wrong especially if Nintendo's telling the truth here.