• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
"Poo" being a part of his name, fine. "Pile of Poo" specifically invokes the word's slang usage of referencing feces, though, so I feel like he should have learned not to do that by now. I mean, why? Just call the level "Kai-Zero G" and be done with it.

One of the biggest Kaizo creators is PangeaPanga who makes levels under the name Pit of PePanga so this is a play on his level designs.

Previously Nintendo had told him it was a-okay for the name, as he had plenty of levels under the Pit of Poo moniker in MM1 but now his levels are getting deleted and Nintendo isn't actually communicating anything with level creators. That's the bigger issue here.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
They delete something with "poo" in the title from Super Mario Maker 2, yet allow lewd user created stages and videos to proliferate in Smash Bros. Ultimate. Talk about double standards lol.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprising. It's clear that Nintendo learned absolutely nothing from Mario Maker 1 except that people really really wanted slopes. And since it's been two weeks it can't be something where being crunched for time resulted in a rushed and stupid decision as with some of their moderation choices when Smash's stage creator came out

I'm making a level about Boom Boom getting belligerently drunk at a club and as the designated driver you have to find the key to your car without fighting him and I hope no one decides to report that

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Poo" being a part of his name, fine. "Pile of Poo" specifically invokes the word's slang usage of referencing feces, though, so I feel like he should have learned not to do that by now. I mean, why? Just call the level "Kai-Zero G" and be done with it.

Yep, this exactly. Him equating there being an Earthbound character called Poo with the phrase "Piles of Poo" is just so disingenuous too.

They probably had a problem with it being a play on Pooh Bear, which would lead to China banning the shit out of it.

Lol love to shoehorn a random anti-China drive by comment into an entirely unrelated thread

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the people focused on the "poo" thing are missing the larger point of how Nintendo does this stuff all the time for things that make way less sense than you're trying to apply to this. I had people begging me to play their kids' levels in Mario Maker 1 because Nintendo would regularly delete stages that were "unplayed" without revealing what the metric was to keep a stage on there.
Unfortunately people will come up with every excuse they can think of than admit that their favorite company has problems.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
He reuploaded every one of his previously deleted "Pile of Poo" levels in Mario Maker 1 and they're all still up

Nintendo is as usual failing at everything when it comes to creating and maintaining an online community around their popular games.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo needs to cut the nonsense. Creators who enhance the value of Nintendo's products don't deserve to be treated this way. Frankly it's disgusting.

Gacha Santa Alter

"This guy are sick"
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Nintendo is more than just a bit paranoid when it comes to online features, aren't they? It feels like they just design stuff based on the principle that everyone's going to try to exploit the balls out of it. Cloud saving? No multiplayer games, people will hack. Friend lists? Fine, but just look don't interact, you may be/be talking to a predator. Content creation? Moderate first ask questions later never.

Yes, I'm exaggerating, but it just looks like that sometimes.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Finally. People are speaking up about Nintendo deleting levels. I've said it a million times by now that Nintendo deleted a bunch of my courses in the first Mario Maker with no explanation and I couldn't re-upload them. The difference with mine is that they weren't popular, but it still sucked massively and made me quit the game.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not familiar with the person but after watching this video he seems super self absorbed and his sense of entitlement is ridiculous. Just make more levels with different names.
He said multiple times in that video that he is only making a big deal about it because he has a platform and he doesn't want this to happen to regular players without a community or platform to back them up. Don't know how you could get that impression and he also said that he would name them something different if that really was the problem, which Nintendo reps have specifically said it wasn't in the past

Nov 8, 2017
If the word poo is offensive, it should be banned. You can't even end a word with an s and have the next word start with ex. Something is not right. Nintendo needs to get their shit together.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
He said multiple times in that video that he is only making a big deal about it because he has a platform and he doesn't want this to happen to regular players without a community or platform to back them up. Don't know how you could get that impression

Because he's clearly made it about his own level. He's not talking about other people's creations. If this were a bigger epidemic of Nintendo moderators deleting user made levels he should've made a vid about that and not go on for 10 minutes about himself. And that's the other thing, he kept referring to Nintendo as if it were a singular entity making the choice that "pile of poo" was ok for him to use. It's quite obvious to me that there are multiple moderators who delete levels in Mario Maker and if just one of them deemed "pile of poo" to be inappropriate then that's what happened.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not dismissing anything, but to claim they're not doing anything at all right because they deleted this guys stages is silly.
But they aren't doing things right with the MM community. That's why people are mad. Problems like this are not a aberration, they are the norm when it comes to this game. That it keeps happening even after a new game is unacceptable.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo owes him a reason so he and the rest of us can avoid whatever violation he had. Don't bother having a code of conduct if you can't bother explaining the code.

I love Mario Maker but scares me from spending time with making levels bc they have no clue how to moderate appropriately.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
But they aren't doing things right with the MM community. That's why people are mad. Problems like this are not a aberration, they are the norm when it comes to this game. That it keeps happening even after a new game is unacceptable.

I've put over 60 hours into Mario Maker 2 and have been actively reading the thread here on era. Everyone's been having an awesome time and the game is phenomenal. As far as I can tell the community is super happy creating and playing levels. In fact the only two times I've seen negatively come out the wood works for Mario Maker 2 is this thread, which is just one dude complaining his "pile of poo" was moderated, and the other thread where people were flabbergasted you could only upload 32 levels to the servers. Maybe I'm just blissfully enjoying myself and the era peeps levels but nobody is mad there.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Because he's clearly made it about his own level. He's not talking about other people's creations.
he can only really speak for himself when he edits together footage of people asking him questions on Twitch. And he's not making it entirely about himself alone.

Nintendo has a serious problem actually engaging with the community surrounding its games. It's a faceless brick wall that hands out arbitrary punishments, unclear rules and zero recourse to overturn unfair decisions. It was a problem with Mario Maker 1. It continues to be a problem 3+ years later with MM2 and it's plain unacceptable.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
People in general seem very happy with the game. Deleting this guys stage may not have been the right move, but you claim they're failing at every single thing regarding the online community is laughable.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because he's clearly made it about his own level. He's not talking about other people's creations. If this were a bigger epidemic of Nintendo moderators deleting user made levels he should've made a vid about that and not go on for 10 minutes about himself. And that's the other thing, he kept referring to Nintendo as if it were a singular entity making the choice that "pile of poo" was ok for him to use. It's quite obvious to me that there are multiple moderators who delete levels in Mario Maker and if just one of them deemed "pile of poo" to be inappropriate then that's what happened.
I've put over 60 hours into Mario Maker 2 and have been actively reading the thread here on era. Everyone's been having an awesome time and the game is phenomenal. As far as I can tell the community is super happy creating and playing levels. In fact the only two times I've seen negatively come out the wood works for Mario Maker 2 is this thread, which is just one dude complaining his "pile of poo" was moderated, and the other thread where people were flabbergasted you could only upload 32 levels to the servers. Maybe I'm just blissfully enjoying myself and the era peeps levels but nobody is mad there.
It's just a clip from his stream earlier today with a few bits from older streams mixed in, in which he discusses his level and how its deletion is an example of a bad policy that he has a unique platform to advocate about. Could it a bigger, more comprehensive video? Sure, but he says there that he doesn't need to do that because places like Polygon, Kotaku, Waypoint etc. will cover it and do a better job of speaking to it than he could anyway.

He's referring to Nintendo as a singular entity because they are in terms of moderation. Any employee moderating and representing the company is professionally speaking for them. He's in a unique position because he's spoken to Nintendo employees outside of normal channels about that particular matter and got that answer, most people could not get that answer and would be left with nothing, simply an email that their decision is the end of the matter and there is no appeal.

I've got almost 100 hours in Mario Maker 2 so far and it is the biggest disappointment I think I've ever had in games, despite loving so much of it and enjoying so much of it. The game fails to improve on almost anything from the first game and introduces all kinds of problems that did not previously exist. If you haven't seen negative impressions of it you haven't been paying attention to the hardcore community which has been stymied at every point, whether it's nerfs to kaizo mechanics, removal of music mechanics, issues with discover-ability, online lag, the changes to endless, and countless other issues. That's not to say that people aren't happy to be playing Mario Maker again, but the game has a lot of issues and isn't the sequel that many fans wanted

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
he can only really speak for himself when he edits together footage of people asking him questions on Twitch. And he's not making it entirely about himself alone.

Nintendo has a serious problem actually engaging with the community surrounding its games. It's a faceless brick wall that hands out arbitrary punishments, unclear rules and zero recourse to overturn unfair decisions. It was a problem with Mario Maker 1. It continues to be a problem 3+ years later with MM2 and it's plain unacceptable.

One tweet doesn't change my opinion of the guy because that video I watched of his didn't give me this impression. Quite honestly I don't find Mario Maker 2's level moderation unacceptable at all. I'm just going to keep plugging away making stages as I haven't had a single issue, nor have I come across any gross or inappropriate levels made by the community. I firmly believe their moderation is actually doing a fantastic job considering I haven't seen something like a dick or swastika in anything thus far.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's just a clip from his stream earlier today with a few bits from older streams mixed in, in which he discusses his level and how its deletion is an example of a bad policy that he has a unique platform to advocate about. Could it a bigger, more comprehensive video? Sure, but he says there that he doesn't need to do that because places like Polygon, Kotaku, Waypoint etc. will cover it and do a better job of speaking to it than he could anyway.

He's referring to Nintendo as a singular entity because they are in terms of moderation. Any employee moderating and representing the company is professionally speaking for them. He's in a unique position because he's spoken to Nintendo employees outside of normal channels about that particular matter and got that answer, most people could not get that answer and would be left with nothing, simply an email that their decision is the end of the matter and there is no appeal.

I've got almost 100 hours in Mario Maker 2 so far and it is the biggest disappointment I think I've ever had in games, despite loving so much of it and enjoying so much of it. The game fails to improve on almost anything from the first game and introduces all kinds of problems that did not previously exist. If you haven't seen negative impressions of it you haven't been paying attention to the hardcore community which has been stymied at every point, whether it's nerfs to kaizo mechanics, removal of music mechanics, issues with discover-ability, online lag, the changes to endless, and countless other issues. That's not to say that people aren't happy to be playing Mario Maker again, but the game has a lot of issues and isn't the sequel that many fans wanted

I'm sorry to hear you're so disappointed with the game. The only community of players I'm familiar with regarding Mario Maker 2 is here on Era and I've probably read every single post in that topic. Again, everyone seems happy to me. In regards to speaking to Nintendo representatives, you can get an employee to speak about company guidelines but it just takes one Mario Maker moderator to decide "pile of poo" shouldn't be on there. It's clear that's how this went down to me.

Last edited:

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Not familiar with the person but after watching this video he seems super self absorbed and his sense of entitlement is ridiculous. Just make more levels with different names.

I don't know how you got that from the video, he reacts very humbly and reasonably I'd say. He even says he didn't expect this much attention and how he loves Nintendo and Nintendo is his life and of course he will keep playing but he wishes that they'd have a clearer policy. Levels getting deleted for no apparent reason is a well known thing in the community so he's not just speaking for himself when he surfaces this issue. He's using the spotlight he's gotten to call attention to nintendo's overall poor moderation.

Just because you're ignorant of the general SMM community's issues (and yes, there is a community and it's not just limited to era) doesn't mean they don't exist.

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
One tweet doesn't change my opinion of the guy because that video I watched of his didn't give me this impression. Quite honestly I don't find Mario Maker 2's level moderation unacceptable at all. I'm just going to keep plugging away making stages as I haven't had a single issue, nor have I come across any gross or inappropriate levels made by the community. I firmly believe their moderation is actually doing a fantastic job considering I haven't seen something like a dick or swastika in anything thus far.

Sure and if i get a group of peeps to mass flag you and get all your levels down i'm sure you'll be singing the exact same tune.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Sure and if i get a group of peeps to mass flag you and get all your levels down i'm sure you'll be singing the exact same tune.

Not in the least as I'd just keep making more levels. In fact as I hit the upload cap I"ll be actively deleting mine as I make more new ones to cycle through. It's part of the game to me.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Not in the least as I'd just keep making more levels. In fact as I hit the upload cap I"ll be actively deleting mine as I make more new ones to cycle through. It's part of the game to me.

Part of the game is getting bullied and having a level brought down? Get out of here with this "oh well" attitude. People spend a significant amount of time making levels and deserve to know why their efforts were moderated out.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I don't know how you got that from the video, he reacts very humbly and reasonably I'd say. He even says he didn't expect this much attention and how he loves Nintendo and Nintendo is his life and of course he will keep playing but he wishes that they'd have a clearer policy. Levels getting deleted for no apparent reason is a well known thing in the community so he's not just speaking for himself when he surfaces this issue. He's using the spotlight he's gotten to call attention to nintendo's overall poor moderation.

Just because you're ignorant of the general SMM community's issues (and yes, there is a community and it's not just limited to era) doesn't mean they don't exist.

If it all this anger exists and people are this upset over it then hopefully they get their way and get back to enjoying the game. I'd love to see more examples of people's levels getting moderated to figure out the behind the scenes moderation that goes into Mario Maker. It's clear to me people want the details of what is, and is not acceptable. The only example I've seen so far is a "Storm Area 51" stage getting modded, and "pile of poo" getting modded. Both of which I can understand why.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Watched a video of it and damn I'd get frustrated playing these hard maps lol. I could tough it through from software games but platformers are no joke.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Part of the game is getting bullied and having a level brought down? Get out of here with this "oh well" attitude. People spend a significant amount of time making levels and deserve to know why their efforts were moderated out.

And you don't see why people would want to hope that they can spend 20-50 hours making a level and not have it taken down with no recourse?

I'm talking specifically about myself because that was what was asked of me. Not of other peoples feelings.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
stop making this issue about yourself you selfish pos

Are you being sarcastic? Someone asked me how I"d feel if my level was deleted and I responded. I seriously do not understand the amount vitriol I'm reading throughout this thread.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Leave it to people to defend Nintendo's continued failure to make their online games a good experience in every way possible. Dumb recognize dumb.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People in general seem very happy with the game. Deleting this guys stage may not have been the right move, but you claim they're failing at every single thing regarding the online community is laughable.
If y'all want to remain ignorant about Nintendo's failures with Mario Maker then fine. But it's a real porblem and no amount of putting your fingers in your ears will change that.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
If y'all want to remain ignorant about Nintendo's failures with Mario Maker then fine. But it's a real porblem and no amount of putting your fingers in your ears will change that.

I'm honestly trying to google and check out other instances of what people are deeming improper moderation of Mario Maker 2 levels. If you know of any sources and could share them I'd appreciate it. I"m trying to get a better understanding of what's going on with the game. My personal experiences do not reflect what you're claiming I"m ignorant of.

This is an older forum I came across regarding the EXACT same user this thread is about,

I really think certain Nintendo employees just don't like the word "poo" even though others will say it's no big deal.