• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes.

Game support staff look at thousands of reports/mod messages per day, and if they make a mistake, they're incompetent? Okay.

Definitely seems like the problem here is Nintendo's lack of transparency with their policy, and seemingly, inability to review cases after they are complete. Employees make mistakes, just as users do, but the policy in place makes those mistakes both hard to understand or rectify once they have occurred.
Mistakes happen for sure, but deleting highly popular levels by highly visible players and giving no communication seems like someone was not paying attention, not following a process, or blindly following a bad process.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
...who are those people? They don't exist.
Community Ambassadors? You said they had them to talk to top-tier content creators not me. If they dont have them why should the moderation staff take into account if they are content creators or not when making decision?

Im on the side that this is an auto-mod mistake though, that they should clarify to him

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Community Ambassadors? You said they had them to talk to top-tier content creators not me. If they dont have them why should they moderation staff take into account if they are content creators or not when making decision?

Im on the side that this is an auto-mod mistake though

You misunderstood me. My point was that Nintendo *doesn't* have these types of people, so all interactions with the community happen in a toxic cycle of aggressive action from Nintendo + sending an email to the press + a bunch of articles being written about it + no comment from Nintendo. Cycle repeats.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
You misunderstood me. My point was that Nintendo *doesn't* have these types of people, so all interactions with the community happen in a toxic cycle of aggressive action from Nintendo + sending an email to the press + a bunch of articles being written about it + no comment from Nintendo. Cycle repeats.

Oh ok. Yea Im with you on that

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop mentioning "Poo" as the reason. Article in OP literally says Nintendo doesn't have a problem with it.
Nintendo isn't a hive mind. Maybe somebody didn't get the memo and deleted a level called "Pile of Poo", which maybe got reported by stupid people.
Don't call your level "Pile of Poo", unless you have a legally writen contact with Nintendo, where you have the freedom to do that.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping any of the reporting outlets get a Nintendo response as to why the level was removed. Stuff like this should have more granular wording than "Inappropriate and/or Harmful content". If it's the level title then call it out. If it's a glitch/bug/exploit call that out. If it's too many reports call that out. Creators shouldn't have to aim at a moving target for this stuff.

Too many reports should trigger a manual review at minimum. This shit isn't hard to figure out.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Someone reported it and one of the people that investigate the reports though they should delete it. Then the boss found out and was like, poo is fine though why'd you do that. Hence the apology for deleting his level.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo seemingly just refuses to get those type of people too. Theyve had ages to hire them and assemble a team, but they dont.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I think it's definitely possible there has been some overzealous moderation. We don't know Nintendo's process for moderation, which is a huge part of the tension with Mario Maker in general: Nintendo likes to keep their decision making quiet, but this is a game built around community. Different beast.

As mentioned in my piece, a really fun level themed around the "storm Area 51" theme was taken down under similar objections, but with no more specifics.
That one seems fairly obvious, with the current storm Area 51 meme which some people including the USGov are actually taking seriously that could be seen as a call to political action and would be taken down, same as a box stacking themed level called "Build the wall"

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I mentioned this above but do you think it could have been an auto-moderator that removed the level and can't differentiate why a level is being reported? In that way, Nintendo wouldn't know if the problem is "poo" or not.

Have there been other instances of popular levels in Mario Maker 2 getting removed for seemingly invalid reasons?
If they can't tell why their auto moderator is deleting things, THAT is a real problem.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Nintendo seemingly just refuses to get those type of people too. Theyve had ages to hire them and assemble a team, but they dont.
Just like they had ages to build a working online infrastructure and never did. Honestly MM2 multiplayer is embarassing. I feel like Nintendo is at least two generations behind with anything that touches online.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Maybe Nintendo don't have a problem with the word Poo itself but if you are wording titles to literally mean shit then I guess you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

But if the level was called Mario is Pooing maybe it would be ok.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Someone reported it and one of the people that investigate the reports though they should delete it. Then the boss found out and was like, poo is fine though why'd you do that. Hence the apology for deleting his level.
He can still reupload though right?

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
They deleted all his mario maker levels too back in 2016....
but the fact we're paying to share levels now makes this all the more stupid.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
A lot of the people focused on the "poo" thing are missing the larger point of how Nintendo does this stuff all the time for things that make way less sense than you're trying to apply to this. I had people begging me to play their kids' levels in Mario Maker 1 because Nintendo would regularly delete stages that were "unplayed" without revealing what the metric was to keep a stage on there.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And yet I played a level titled "crisis at the border" where you kill hundreds of goombas funneling through a fence and theres no issue there but god forbid the word "poo" is used.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of the people focused on the "poo" thing are missing the larger point of how Nintendo does this stuff all the time for things that make way less sense than you're trying to apply to this. I had people begging me to play their kids' levels in Mario Maker 1 because Nintendo would regularly delete stages that were "unplayed" without revealing what the metric was to keep a stage on there.
I'm inclined to believe it's less missing the point and more of defendingNintendo..

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But this is Mario Maker 2 on a different system and with Online Payment. If they now would do it, then there would be a case. Otherwise some Nintendo moderator or automatic system just delete a level called "Piles of Poo".

And yet I played a level titled "crisis at the border" where you kill hundreds of goombas funneling through a fence and theres no issue there but god forbid the word "poo" is used.
Did you report it?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But this is Mario Maker 2 on a different system and with Online Payment. If they now would do it, then there would be a case. Otherwise some Nintendo moderator or automatic system just delete a level called "Piles of Poo".

Did you report it?
Of course. I doubt anything gets done about it.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
He has an entire series of levels called Pile of Poo that he uploaded with Nintendo's permission in Mario Maker 1 that are up to this day.

He said if they want him to change the name then he will, but they've repeatedly told him the names are not the reason they're being deleted.

Names definitely are the reason they're being deleted, and if they're not then I'd need to see another stage that has "Poo" or "Poopy" or something else equally milquetoast that's been left just fine.

I wanna emphasize "automatic" in my last post because I doubt there's anything overly intentional with it. Seems like content filters reasonably flagging it, and all it takes is one mod who has no idea who GrandPOOBear is or what special privileges he has to press the "delete" button.

Also people are saying Nintendo isn't being transparent but I'd consider "inappropriate content" to be fairly straightforward. The problem isn't that they aren't clear, the problem is we disagree with what a conservative family-oriented company like Nintendo considers inappropriate.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo not being transparent about what the problem is and you can't appeal at all. It's so bizarre that they're still like that. Miiverse wasn't much better.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Names definitely are the reason they're being deleted, and if they're not then I'd need to see another stage that has "Poo" or "Poopy" or something else equally milquetoast that's been left just fine.

I wanna emphasize "automatic" in my last post because I doubt there's anything overly intentional with it. Seems like content filters reasonably flagging it, and all it takes is one mod who has no idea who GrandPOOBear is or what special privileges he has to press the "delete" button.

Also people are saying Nintendo isn't being transparent but I'd consider "inappropriate content" to be fairly straightforward. The problem isn't that they aren't clear, the problem is we disagree with what a conservative family-oriented company like Nintendo considers inappropriate.

There is definitely a huge problem with it not being clear.

If nintendo wants to ban Poo then that's totally fine. They just need to discuss things with the community. They did this same shit in Mario Maker 1 even for levels that didn't have "poo" in it, with no explanation or clarification on what they removed or why.

Kind of baffling that they built Super Mario Maker 2 as a community built game, but they then refuse to communicate with them.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
There is definitely a huge problem with it not being clear.

If nintendo wants to ban Poo then that's totally fine. They just need to discuss things with the community. They did this same shit in Mario Maker 1 even for levels that didn't have "poo" in it, with no explanation or clarification on what they removed or why.

Kind of baffling that they built Super Mario Maker 2 as a community built game, but they then refuse to communicate with them.

Okay that bolded piece hasn't been noted in the thread, and that does change things because it does make it look more targeted. Maybe it was a username sort of thing, but yeah, that's definitively weird.

Only other thing I could think of is user comments being left that are inappropriate, though I don't know why Nintendo wouldn't then go after the commentors instead of taking it out on the level itself.

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's moderation is terrible. I'm not surprised they're deleting levels left and right.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it's not that simple Grandpoobear is very known in speedrunning community. The dude always draws massive amounts of viewers at GDQ.

in this case, it really is that simple, though. People will know his levels are his because it literally shows the maker's name and Mii right next to the title. No need to have any semblance of his name in the title at all, as far as i can tell. if he wants to have some portion of his "brand" in his titles, he could go with "bear with me" or something.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
in this case, it really is that simple, though. People will know his levels are his because it literally shows the maker's name and Mii right next to the title. No need to have any semblance of his name in the title at all, as far as i can tell. if he wants to have some portion of his "brand" in his titles, he could go with "bear with me" or something.
the dude literally said that the word poo isnt the problem. Nintendo is at fault here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Nice one nintendo. Just ruin your community while you're at it just delete all of the levels.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Okay that bolded piece hasn't been noted in the thread, and that does change things because it does make it look more targeted. Maybe it was a username sort of thing, but yeah, that's definitively weird.

Only other thing I could think of is user comments being left that are inappropriate, though I don't know why Nintendo wouldn't then go after the commentors instead of taking it out on the level itself.

To clarify, i meant for levels outside of Poo's levels. I'm not willing to confirm any of his levels that got deleted in Mario Maker 1 as I wasn't following the MM / Kaizo community when it happened.

Plenty of other creators had their levels nuked randomly and had no idea or clue as to why or what to do after that.

Nintendo seemingly did it at random sometimes.

Poo's main thing right now is to just have at least a bare minimum of communication so people who decide to invest 1000's of hours into making levels have at least somebody to go to for issues like this. He's at least self-aware enough to know he's big enough to get attention, but we need something for people who aren't professional red bull sponsored streamers.

Oct 25, 2017
Not a level, but one comment I saw the first weekend during a level was truly awful and was about a recent high profile (in this community) event that I couldn't believe.

Involving a pit or dangerous area, and then over it a tasteless joke about suicide. No I don't want to go into details.

I hear what Patrick K and others are saying and this has to be at least pointed out but, I'm unable to say I'm not on a little bit on Nintendo's side here.

The game isn't designed to be a place where you can do (or say) such hurtful things that have the potential to ruin the experience for others. It's not killing the community by reinforcing that.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
"Poo" being a part of his name, fine. "Pile of Poo" specifically invokes the word's slang usage of referencing feces, though, so I feel like he should have learned not to do that by now. I mean, why? Just call the level "Kai-Zero G" and be done with it.