• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
The simplest explanation is that his level got mass reported by trolls and it might be an automated system that after a certain number of reports, the level gets deleted.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Poo itself might not be the issue. There is a character with the name after all. Using "Pile of poo" on the other hand could be and it also looks like an attempt to bypass any filter that is put in place. Filters don't just look at single words but phrases as well. I think some can will look to see if one is trying to get pass it by using alternate spellings for words. Simply don't use anything that looks like you're trying to cheat the system. He knows damn well what he's trying to say with that name and no one should believe his trying to act innocent act here.

It's also possible people hate his levels and are reporting them based on that.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't his levels being deleted from the first Mario maker, too? It's either his name and all the stages having poo in the name, or someone with a vendetta against him reporting all his stuff.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has not yet responded to my request for comment, but in an email sent to GrandPOObear, Nintendo called this a "final decision" and threatened that if "violations continue," it could restrict his ability to play online. It then thanked him for "creating an enjoyable online environment."

Don't you just love it when people talk down to you in this bullshit condescending tone? If it were me, I'd tell them to fuck off.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
my friend had a fantastic and totally innocent level deleted shortly after suddenly garnering a large number of plays out of nowhere. I wonder what their report system really does on their end, because it seems... kinda shit.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why can't Nintendo invest in online services? Have people around to manually curate/respond to reports.. not just auto delete a level if it receives a number of reports.

Oct 27, 2017
Why can't Nintendo invest in online services? Have people around to manually curate/respond to reports.. not just auto delete a level if it receives a number of reports.
Who says that's the case? Numerous games have actual moderators. And "investing in online services" and the moderation team for 1 game don't really have much to do with one another

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I love GrandPooBear. Watch his stream every day. Dude brought more people back to the Mario franchise than you could believe. Would love an official Nintendo comment, and I'll be tuning in today to see what he has to say.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I don't think his username would result in deletion, but the level title "Pile of Poo" might, where the word Poo is obviously a placeholder for the word "shit" if it was being reported a lot. I could see a human moderator making that call. I could even see that being the correct call in some situations, like if a level was called "Mother Pho King" or something.

I think honestly that should be up to an individual moderator probably.

If the policy is that a title can't have references to profanity even if it doesn't actually use it, they need to be clear about that policy. They should remove the strike since that wasn't clear before.

One thing I don't want(and I'm not saying anyone is advocating it) is anyone receiving special treatment positive or negative for being a social media influencer or celebrity. Nintendo owes the community an explanation in this case regardless of who it was, so I'm glad it was someone with the ability to be visible in this case.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you people think he's being mass-reported? Who would mass-report Poo's levels? Did he piss off some other streamer's community or something? There's no way dozens of parents angrily called Nintendo to complain that a Mario Maker level has the word "poo".

Seems more likely to me that the moderator(s) of the game weren't given any strict guidelines, or aren't paying attention to those guidelines. Doesn't matter if some rep says "poo" is fine according to their guidelines if the moderators don't follow the guidelines.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
If "Poo" in the level name was the problem then his MM1 levels called Pile of Poo would have stayed deleted after the first time this BS happened. Mass reports are the likely cause.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

I mean it's not exactly a crazy conspiracy theory or anything. "Poo" is most definitely in their content filters, as is probably every other form of excrement no matter how inoffensive or childish. No amount of verbal special permission is going to stop automatic content filters from doing what they're supposed to be doing.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Why do you people think he's being mass-reported? Who would mass-report Poo's levels? Did he piss off some other streamer's community or something? There's no way dozens of parents angrily called Nintendo to complain that a Mario Maker level has the word "poo".

Seems more likely to me that the moderator(s) of the game weren't given any strict guidelines, or aren't paying attention to those guidelines. Doesn't matter if some rep says "poo" is fine according to their guidelines if the moderators don't follow the guidelines.
I have seen people on other forums say they click the report button on "kaizo" type levels because they don't like it. It's an abuse of the function but people do it.

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
It's clearly the name of the level. Like others have said, what someone told him about a years old game doesn't really matter in this situation with many staff involved. It's kind of annoying and should be clarified (I guess) but it's not surprising.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I mean it's not exactly a crazy conspiracy theory or anything. "Poo" is most definitely in their content filters, as is probably every other form of excrement no matter how inoffensive or childish. No amount of verbal special permission is going to stop automatic content filters from doing what they're supposed to be doing.

He has an entire series of levels called Pile of Poo that he uploaded with Nintendo's permission in Mario Maker 1 that are up to this day.

He said if they want him to change the name then he will, but they've repeatedly told him the names are not the reason they're being deleted.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
If the problem is "poo," then Nintendo should just say that. The creator would change things, and we would all move on. The problem is Nintendo has not been more specific, and is unlikely to, because they prefer to be oblique.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Seems like his name "Poo" isnt the issue, but the level name "Pile of Poo" is and he is being willing ignorant to that fact. He even verifies this by saying Nintendo is cool with his name, but the email screenshot he posted deals with the course being the "offending" subject

Nintendo will never publicly be super specific because that could limit their response to things like this by painting themselves in a corner so to speak

Patrick Klepek

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Seems like his name "Poo" isnt the issue, but the level name "Pile of Poo" is and he is being willing ignorant to that fact. He even verifies this by saying Nintendo is cool with his name, but the email screenshot he posted deals with the course being the "offending" subject

Nintendo will never publicly be super specific because that could limit their response to things like this by painting themselves in a corner so to speak

The problem of saying "poo" is on a list of words they deem unacceptable? This is community management 101. Even if you didn't want to say something public, the reason you have community ambassadors is to talk with the top-tier creators, explain the situation privately, and resolve the issue.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
If the problem is "poo," then Nintendo should just say that. The creator would change things, and we would all move on. The problem is Nintendo has not been more specific, and is unlikely to, because they prefer to be oblique.
I mentioned this above but do you think it could have been an auto-moderator that removed the level and can't differentiate why a level is being reported? In that way, Nintendo wouldn't know if the problem is "poo" or not.

Have there been other instances of popular levels in Mario Maker 2 getting removed for seemingly invalid reasons?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Stop mentioning "Poo" as the reason. Article in OP literally says Nintendo doesn't have a problem with it.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
He has an entire series of levels called Pile of Poo that he uploaded with Nintendo's permission in Mario Maker 1 that are up to this day.

He said if they want him to change the name then he will, but they've repeatedly told him the names are not the reason they're being deleted.

Mario Maker 2 may have entirely different moderation staff. If a level is getting reports, they probably don't(and shouldn't!) check to see if the maker is famous or if he had similar levels named in MM1. Whatever relationship any person has with Nintendo, moderators absolutely should not know or take into account.

Stop mentioning "Poo" as the reason. Article in OP literally says Nintendo doesn't have a problem with it.

Which could be wrong, and based entirely on something some person told him years ago that could have changed, and was a policy on an entirely different game and system.

If a moderator here told me I could post something in a particular thread and not be banned, and a year later I post it in another thread, a different moderator could ban me if it was their judgement it violated the rules!

Last edited:

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Considering a streamer I watch had to change his Nintendo username from "DumbDog", I still wouldn't be surprised for an overly picky Nintendo to be the reason.

In that case though, they only made him change the username, not delete his levels entirely.

If only Nintendo would let people know, huh.

Justified

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta

"Claims" though I not saying they didnt tell him that, but he only screen shoot the response about his Course being removed, no this name being ok.

Having said that Its probably is the "Poo" in the course name being auto flagged, not manually taken down. Only other thing is he is being targeted through mass reporting which still would be some sort of automated take down, because if it was manual why wouldn't they tell him, if they did tell him it wasn't the word Poo?

In other words I think he is just being caught up in some auto flag system and not being targeted by Nintendo

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
"Claims" though I not saying they didnt tell him that, but he only screen shoot the response about his Course being removed, no this name being ok.

Having said that Its probably is the "Poo" in the course name being auto flagged, not manually taken down. Only other thing is he is being targeted through mass reporting which still would be some sort of automated take down, because if it was manual why wouldn't they tell him, if they did tell him it wasn't the word Poo?

In other words I think he is just being caught up in some auto flag system and not being targeted by Nintendo

My guess is that the system auto-deleted but Nintendo doesn't have any way to recover it, I suppose. Unless he can reupload it with a different name and see if it stays.

Patrick Klepek

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
I mentioned this above but do you think it could have been an auto-moderator that removed the level and can't differentiate why a level is being reported? In that way, Nintendo wouldn't know if the problem is "poo" or not.

Have there been other instances of popular levels in Mario Maker 2 getting removed for seemingly invalid reasons?

I think it's definitely possible there has been some overzealous moderation. We don't know Nintendo's process for moderation, which is a huge part of the tension with Mario Maker in general: Nintendo likes to keep their decision making quiet, but this is a game built around community. Different beast.

As mentioned in my piece, a really fun level themed around the "storm Area 51" theme was taken down under similar objections, but with no more specifics.

Justified

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
The problem of saying "poo" is on a list of words they deem unacceptable? This is community management 101. Even if you didn't want to say something public, the reason you have community ambassadors is to talk with the top-tier creators, explain the situation privately, and resolve the issue.
He should talk to the Community Ambassadors and not the Moderators then (Who hopefully doesnt take Status into account when making moderation decisions, though I think these actions arent intentional )

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
PooBear has been making SMM levels forever, I doubt his name is the problem or they'd all be taken down.

Maybe some incompetent employee just did it without process?

Yikes.

Game support staff look at thousands of reports/mod messages per day, and if they make a mistake, they're incompetent? Okay.

Definitely seems like the problem here is Nintendo's lack of transparency with their policy, and seemingly, inability to review cases after they are complete. Employees make mistakes, just as users do, but the policy in place makes those mistakes both hard to understand or rectify once they have occurred.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
That's weird, I uploaded a course called "Piping Hot Feces Oozing Out of Every Orifice" and it's still up there

OK maybe I didn't actually do this