• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not if I'm paying for the feature.
A feature that would not be on the box of Animal Crossing. It makes as much sense demanding cloud save on AC as demanding that a single player game get given a multiplayer mode because you paid for online multiplayer.

AC developers are not obligated to justify features they don't implement.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This feels like the solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. Does it matter if players manipulate their town through cloud saves? No, the game is offline for the most part. I doubt most people who end up playing AC:NH will even use such a tactic anyway.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Conversely dont make issues that require solving in the first place. But Nintendo loves to nintedo.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A feature that would not be on the box of Animal Crossing. It makes as much sense demanding cloud save on AC as demanding that a single player game get given a multiplayer mode because you paid for online multiplayer.

AC developers are not obligated to justify features they don't implement.
they are a first-party the Nintendo developer I have an expectation that a first-party game will support cloud saves.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
This feels like the solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. Does it matter if players manipulate their town through cloud saves? No, the game is offline for the most part. I doubt most people who end up playing AC:NH will even use such a tactic anyway.
I know it's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. I'm not saying this is a good solution, I'm just like "Nintendo should really just allow cloud saves for everything, but if they aren't gonna, they could a least do this". Doesn't change the fact that the "problem" is stupid to being with. Nintendo is being stupid by not allowing cloud saves for literally everything. Zero defense for that.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I know it's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. I'm not saying this is a good solution, I'm just like "Nintendo should really just allow cloud saves for everything, but if they aren't gonna, they could a least do this". Doesn't change the fact that the "problem" is stupid to being with. Nintendo is being stupid by not allowing cloud saves for literally everything. Zero defense for that.

I'm not critiquing your idea - it seems reasonable enough. But it isn't really an idea that should have to exist in the first place.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Or you should learn to accept that these are people who don't want their game to be potentially exploited and not come up with armchair developer solutions.
Okay then, Switch is a special case and it's the only console in the world in where universal cloud saving would present an issue for devs. To suggest anything else would be to be an armchair developer. You're right.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, this would be much better than the current situation, where a paid feature is arbitrarily unavailable for some games. Really, anything would be better than what we have. I'm annoyed about Dark Souls on Switch too since I need to send mine in for repairs and last time they wiped all my saves when they transferred to a new system.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's two different.one is a service that you're paying for that almost every game support except for a few and the other is a peripheral .
As you say, except for a few. And AC is one of the few. If you want absolute freedom over your game files, may I recommend PC gaming? Because seriously, I understand your frustration, but if you want that level of control over your game, a console is the wrong place to find it.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm not critiquing your idea - it seems reasonable enough. But it isn't really an idea that should have to exist in the first place.
Yep, I'm just trying to find a middle ground. That doesn't change the fact that Nintendo should just allow cloud saves fully for everything. I thought it wasn't that hard go understand, but apparently some people think I'm saying this would be the ideal scenario? lol

It's like in the Shenmue 3 being exclusive to Epic thread. Some of us have said we'd accept the option to get Steam keys a year late instead of EGS keys at launch. Doesn't change the fact that YsNet should just provide us with Steam keys at launch, we're just trying to propose a sort of middle ground solution that's better than nothing since the actual proper solution probably ain't happening.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As you say, except for a few. And AC is one of the few. If you want absolute freedom over your game files, may I recommend PC gaming? Because seriously, I understand your frustration, but if you want that level of control over your game, a console is the wrong place to find it.
but no no no this is it uniquely Nintendo problem because everyone else figure this out about 10 years ago. Like it's stupid when you think about it

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
but no no no this is it uniquely Nintendo problem because everyone else figure this out about 10 years ago. Like it's stupid when you think about it
You are wrong, plenty of other games heavily restrict how and when you can save, AC is not alone on this. It is not stupid. If you want infinite save states you only have Emulators to fall back on.

OP
OP
Alvis

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yes, this would be much better than the current situation, where a paid feature is arbitrarily unavailable for some games. Really, anything would be better than what we have. I'm annoyed about Dark Souls on Switch too since I need to send mine in for repairs and last time they wiped all my saves when they transferred to a new system.
That's what I'm saying. Is it ideal? No. Should Nintendo allow cloud saves for everything and that's it? YES. But since that probanly ain't happening they could at least try to search for a middle ground that allows people to restore their save after their Switch breaks or whatever without allowing "save scumming"

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Or they could just accept that .0001% of players might rarely take advantage of the system and harm no one in the process

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is stuck in the stone age.

Multiplayer games should keep track of your progress / ranking server side.

Singleplayer games I don't understand the harm in allowing people to save scum. If that's fun for them, what's the harm?

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay then, Switch is a special case and it's the only console in the world in where universal cloud saving would present an issue for devs. To suggest anything else would be to be an armchair developer. You're right.
You're missing the point. What makes you an armchair dev is you keep suggesting solutions with zero developer insight. You have one statement to go on and for all we know it doesn't tell the whole story. And you keep replying to anyone remotely critical of you with hostility and acting like you're better than the people actually making the games you're playing anyway. I understand the outrage, but at the same time getting made over this is outrageous and way more toxic than it should be.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Conversely dont make issues that require solving in the first place. But Nintendo loves to nintedo.

Seriously.

How long are people going to put up with Nintendo's archaic practices? We always seem to find a new topic to complain about whether it's Splatoon's unskippable intro, drip-fed NES games as incentive, the lack of social features in their online service, terrible voice chat solution, Pokémon being omitted from the newer games, Animal Crossing not being cloud save compatible, friend codes in 2019, etc. but Nintendo have proven time and time again that they're unwilling to meet the industry standards set by Sony, Microsoft, and other developers years ago when it comes to basic quality of life for their hardware/software.

As someone who's been glued to his Switch since day one, it's absolutely upsetting that news like this comes often and is always unsurprising. Literally the only thing that has kept Nintendo relevant are their first-party properties, and if they couldn't rest on the backs of Mario, Link, and Pikachu the industry would give them so much more shit they wouldn't be able to deflect or bullshit.

Nintendo is consistently tone deaf in an otherwise relatively progressive industry and shows no sign of fixing that.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty damn dumb. Are there any multiplayer features that would be affected by time manipulation where you wouldn't have the choice to opt in? Or is this just to keep single players from cheating?

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You give me a modern game offline game single player games that doesn't allow allow cloud saves
Yes. That is what the devs decided. I am sure Yoko Taro would have prefered if Neir Automata didn't allow you to cheapen his game's ending by undoing the deleted game file via cloudsave, but in this case Animal Crossing devs stood their ground.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Official Staff Communication
There's no reason for the amount of hostility currently in this thread. Please consider your fellow posters and what you're typing before you post.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are not wrong, you are simply unhappy about the decision. There is a difference.

Your personal happiness does not determine the righteousness of how a game is designed.
Your delusional doesn't mean that this is an okay thing. This is a developer making a big mistake and getting called out for it.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is like the pokemon decision, developers actively fucking up and being called out for it. This happens all the time
You are free to do what you will in response. i didn't say you had to like it.
Hard disagree with OP solution. Imposing arbitrary limits on features that customers are paying for is not correct.
That "feature" isn't part of Animal Crossing. And it is not the dev's responsibility that a different part of the company is charging for said feature.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Nintendo could also let you freely backup your saves to an external hdd or memory stick of some variety as other consoles allow. But they won't, of course, cause their company philosphy is ta be completely ass backwards and still milk suckers dry of their cashola.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I️ no longer want to invest to much time into a game if i can't back up the save. Especially on a handheld. Prob lead to me skipping animal crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.