• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The official Q&A translation of the Annual General Meeting of Shareholders is up:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/qa1906e.pdf

In addition to topics previously reported (censorship and "adventure games", which had quite accurate translations) here are some other highlights:

Q4: There is an impression that Nintendo has been a little slow to join large global trends like the mobile business and releasing games that use VR. The current global discussion now is of the entrance of major corporations into cloud computing and streaming games, as well as alliances between rivals in the arena of cloud gaming. What are Nintendo's thoughts on these trends, and how do you plan to respond? Also, how does Nintendo plan to respond to the change in communications standards from 4G to 5G?

Shigeru Miyamoto (Representative Director, Fellow):

We have not fallen behind with either VR or network services. We worked on them from the very beginning, and have been experimenting with them in a variety of ways. In that time, we have objectively evaluated whether they actually allow our consumers to have an enjoyable play experience, and whether we can operate them at an appropriate cost. Because we don't publicize this until we release a product, it may look like we're falling behind. In regards to VR, we think that we have created a product that is easy for our consumers to use in the recently released Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit. Nintendo consumers encompass a wide range of ages, including young children, so we will continue to create and announce products that can be enjoyed by anyone.

I think that cloud gaming will become more widespread in the future, but I have no doubt that there will continue to be games that are fun because they are running locally and not on the cloud. We believe it is important to continue to use these diverse technical environments to make unique entertainment that could only have been made by Nintendo. The number of people coming into contact with digital devices is increasing more dramatically than ever before. For example, Super Mario Run has surpassed 300 million downloads. The fact that we've reached such a market means that opportunities for us are greatly expanding, so we would like to work on more and more unique projects.

Q9: There hasn't been any coverage for a while of the QOL business announced earlier. Is it related at all to The Pokémon Company's Pokémon Sleep, which was announced the other day? I'd like to hear more about the future direction for the QOL business.

Furukawa:

It was a while ago, but as a challenge to ourselves to expand the business in new areas, we announced an initiative to develop products that would improve the quality of life (QOL) for consumers in fun ways. Research and development on the theme of QOL is still underway, but we do not currently have anything that is ready to be presented to consumers as a Nintendo product. QOL is a theme we will continue to research and develop on. Pokémon Sleep, announced by The Pokémon Company, and the Pokémon GO Plus + peripheral that we are developing are unrelated to our QOL initiatives.

Q10: I'd like to know more about Nintendo maintaining an environment that allows titles released on previous platforms, particularly Nintendo 64 and Nintendo GameCube, to be played. Can we look forward to the gradual development of environments and services for playing titles released on previous platforms, via Nintendo Switch Online or other services? Or would it be difficult to quickly provide such online services due to technical and cost considerations?

Furukawa:

We cannot provide any new information about how or in what form software developed for past platforms will be delivered to consumers in the future, but we are currently offering Nintendo Entertainment System titles as part of the Nintendo Switch Online service. This is just one of a variety of forms in which consumers could play past titles, and we'd like to deliver them in some form. We are very aware that many of our consumers have been asking for a way to play older titles like this.

Q19: Nintendo typically submits a securities report on the day after the quarterly shareholder meeting each year, but some companies submit their securities report before the meeting. Could Nintendo also submit this report before the quarterly shareholder meeting?

Furukawa:

We value your feedback on this topic.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Available 1st November.
00001670_02.jpg

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I've read about this a while ago.
Safe Ladders

This is a special check for the barrels' ladder behavior. If Mario's climbing a ladder, and he's within 16 pixels of a barrel above the ladder, the barrel will not roll down that same ladder.
In US Set 1, this was changed from 16 pixels to 4 pixels, effectively making this check pointless – if the barrel is four pixels above Mario, he's going to get hit anyway.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
This is as good place to ask as any other, I think

Is Ougon no Kizuna considered interesting? Seen the thing in some import recommendations but I'm not exactly sure where to start researching it.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The Direct thread is all about what's next, but can we just take a moment to appreciate what a second half of the year this has been so far?

Between Three Houses and Astral Chain, it's been some great gaming time.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Just fired up my Wii U. Very interesting.

- Mario Kart 8 still has plenty of players online. Found a full 12 player race straightaway and came 2nd.
- Netflix & YouTube still work fine
- COD Black Ops II has 179 players online. Couldn't join their game though.
- BBC iPlayer & Napster apps don't work.
- The browser still works really nice!!

I'll do another more testing and see what else is good or bad.

And I'm gonna o back and play this absolute masterpiece too!!! See how it compares to Astral Chain.

MV5BOTFmMTU2YTUtYTRiNi00ZjMyLTlkMWMtMTVlM2NiMGE5MGM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTgwOTE5NDk@._V1_.jpg

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Just fired up my Wii U. Very interesting.

- Mario Kart 8 still has plenty of players online. Found a full 12 player race straightaway and came 2nd.
- Netflix & YouTube still work fine
- COD Black Ops II has 179 players online. Couldn't join their game though.
- BBC iPlayer & Napster apps don't work.
- The browser still works really nice!!

I'll do another more testing and see what else is good or bad.

And I'm gonna o back and play this absolute masterpiece too!!! See how it compares to Astral Chain.

MV5BOTFmMTU2YTUtYTRiNi00ZjMyLTlkMWMtMTVlM2NiMGE5MGM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTgwOTE5NDk@._V1_.jpg

Great taste with Devil's Third. Very underrated game.
does this game deserve a switch port?

Absolutely.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
What's also interesting about Devils Third is the history/making of the game.

- 2008, Tomonobu Itagaki (Ninja Gaiden Guy) starts his own studio, Valhalla Game Studios

- Devils Third is announced as an Xbox 360 game to be published by Microsoft.

- The Microsoft deal falls through and THQ agree to publish the game for Xbox 360, PS3 & PC

- 2013, THQ goes bankrupt and can't publish the game, which is still unfinished.

- A third publisher called 'Doobic' from South Korea agree to publish the game but they also go bankrupt.

- 2014, Out of fucking nowhere, the game becomes a Wii U exclusive published by Nintendo.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

- 2008, Tomonobu Itagaki (Ninja Gaiden Guy) starts his own studio, Valhalla Game Studios

- The Microsoft deal falls through and THQ agree to publish the game for Xbox 360, PS3 & PC

- 2013, THQ goes bankrupt and can't publish the game, which is still unfinished.

- A third publisher called 'Doobic' from South Korea agree to publish the game but they also go bankrupt.

- 2014, Out of fucking nowhere, the game becomes a Wii U exclusive published by Nintendo.
you left out the rest where after coming out on Wii U, they spin out the multiplayer for PC ....I think twice even, the second time under a different name?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

you left out the rest where after coming out on Wii U, they spin out the multiplayer for PC ....I think twice even, the second time under a different name?
damn, that's a weird ass development history. kind of surprising the game came out at all.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Luigi's Mansion 2 is just kinda... boring?

Fired it up in preparation for 3, and I'm having a hard time. The mission structure kills the pacing, I play for 20 mins and get booted out of the game so end up browsing Era for a bit before I commit to another mission, whereas in the original I played earlier this year I'd play for hours at a time.
E Gadd talks a lot of shit too.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Other than no TV support, what are the differences between the normal switch and the lite?

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Other than no TV support, what are the differences between the normal switch and the lite?
Switch Lite cannot play Joy-Con oriented games out of the box. You can connect other controllers to it, but it's suboptimal. With normal Switch, you get two Joy-Cons which are also usable in some more traditional games for co-op, and come with HD Rumble for those who like it. Gyro, however, is included.
Switch Lite is completely unable to be used in existing Labo sets, and I assume it doesn't like Mario Party's multi-Switch mode either (there are minigames which involve putting the tablets next to each other).
Switch Lite has a D-Pad instead of second button diamond, on the regular Switch you need either a Pro Controller or a special third party Joy-Con substitute that only works when directly connected to Switch.
Switch Lite has no kickstand, not that I heard anyone praising it in the normal Switch.
There may be more stuff but we don't know it yet since it's not out.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Did we have a thread? Cos September 1st was the 27th Anniversary of the US release of Super Mario Kart.
EDXTrGgU4AAri4O

JB2448 what's the source of your avatar, green head toad from the box art image above?

Last edited:

Muffin Awesome

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 30, 2017
May not be the right place, BUT WHY DID NONE OF YOU MAKE A THREAD TELLING ME SPECIFICALLY THAT THE NSW VOUCHERS WERE STOPPING???!!!??? I just finally bought enough for Zelda and DQ XI and... NO MORE VOUCHERS.... no more vouchers :,(

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
May not be the right place, BUT WHY DID NONE OF YOU MAKE A THREAD TELLING ME SPECIFICALLY THAT THE NSW VOUCHERS WERE STOPPING???!!!??? I just finally bought enough for Zelda and DQ XI and... NO MORE VOUCHERS.... no more vouchers :,(
there was a thread for the vouchers.
I know they stopped in the US at the end of July. Just checked my U.K. store and they're still available.
they only ended the voucher program in NA. they're running those indefinitely everywhere else until further notice.

Muffin Awesome

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 30, 2017
I know they stopped in the US at the end of July. Just checked my U.K. store and they're still available.
there was a thread for the vouchers.

they only ended the voucher program in NA. they're running those indefinitely everywhere else until further notice.

Sorry my ignorant butt was just not paying attention, I am going to have to pause at getting Zelda I think atm. 60$ feels high right now hoping they bring vouchers or something akin to it back. Wonder why US dropped it...

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Hey got a tech help question.

Got a Switch for my birthday (yay!). Unfortunately, my receiver doesn't support HDMI 2.0 (only 1.3). Anyway to split the signal so I can sent video through HDMI and audio to something like SPDIF?