• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Spanish localization mentions rights either. It just mentions how the folded soldiers told them to shut up.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's Toad. It's Paper Mario. I don't think Chinese people need, nor want, the Japanese to instruct them on the concepts of "freedom" and/or "rights."

This shit coming from westerners is legitimately insane.
What the fuck does where I come from matter? Are you suggesting that because I live in a shitty capitalistic society I'm not allowed to criticize it? Also, way to go to bat for a government that is literally committing a large scale genocide at this moment, very good look

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
wut....... da ..........fuq?

tenor.gif

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Would make sense. So Nintendo China doesn't have to fear this game gets black listed for to pro human rights.
Yeah, that's also an effect of censorship. People self-censor stuff preemptively to avoid conflict. At times it means there's also an overcorrection where things are censored that might have even been allowed. But in the end that's the desired effect. Have them worried about saying anything about human rights.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Companies worldwide will choose access to the Chinese market over anything else, every time. I'm not sure what to do, other than elect politicians with a hard stance on moving out of China. Consumer activism hasn't done shit.

It's Toad. It's Paper Mario. I don't think Chinese people need, nor want, the Japanese to instruct them on the concepts of "freedom" and/or "rights."

This shit coming from westerners is legitimately insane.

What the fuck is this shit

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what?! Not Nintendo. Are you serious??
www.resetera.com

[BBC] In China, Uighurs 'moved into factory forced labour' for foreign brands Apple, Google, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony

It was recommended that I cross post this from EtcetEra for awareness, particularly as we move towards a new generation of consoles. Letting people make informed decisions about where they're willing to put their money is the best thing anyone can do here. Here's the latest on the various...

Nah
Most Switches are manufactured in Vietnam
Most Switches? They've just moved to Vietnam last year, and they're not moving the entire production from China either.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Wait, what?! Not Nintendo. Are you serious??
Yea, all three consoles are apparently being made with some Uyghur slave labour for the past several months.

There does seem to be a plan to move production elsewhere. Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

Microsoft -> South America
Sony -> Japan
Nintendo -> Vietnam

?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Since when does Nintendo publish games in China ? They are pretty much hands off, Tencent is handling it...they don't even have access to the same eShop.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Yeah, that's also an effect of censorship. People censor stuff preemptively to avoid conflict. At times it means there's also an overcorrection where things are censored that might have even been allowed. But in the end that's the desired effect. Have them worried about saying anything about human rights.
And with the case that China is very against human free speech and everything I can understand why Nintendo China did this.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Certainly not the first time, won't be the last. It's sadly just the cost of doing business in China and Hong Kong in 2020, whether it's something mandated by law, promoted by company policy, or implemented by individual localization staff. Fucked up world we live in.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This shouldn't be surprising to anyone. If having to do business in China means taking local politics into account while localizing a game, they'll do it. It's a small price to pay for Nintendo to make more money, and for Chinese citizens to have access to these games.

In any case, these games are localized in several languages. I'm sure the people in charge of the translations makes changes on their own based on a few guidelines. It'd be interesting to see the other translations (Spanish, German, French, Italian, Dutch, and Korean).

Edit: Well, here's one example:

Spanish localization doesn't mention anything about abuse or rights.

cHR3Xj4.png

evsC7Vn.png

He says:

"Until a Toad finally found himself asking why they were doing that. And you know what they said? "Shut up and fold into our desires". It's horrible, I'm profoundly traumatized.

The word "pliégate" could be seen as "succumb" to our desires, but it's wordplay on fold into/crease.

Last edited:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

The issue isn't the long history of enmity between China and Japan. The issue is for whatever reason giving in to change something that isn't even critical of the Chinese government. Whether they changed it because of a request or via translation or whatever other reason, the idea that it has to be changed is astonishing.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I expect a lot of companies to bend the knee for China. I wouldn't if I attempted to do business there so I would have to settle for whatever I sold only existed in the black market.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sadly, this isn't surprising. this seems to be the cost of doing business in china. the companies self censor their content before the chinese government demands it.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Whataboutism around ethnic cleansing, prior infraction for whataboutism around human rights
What the fuck does where I come from matter? Also, way to go to bat for a government that is literally committing a large scale genocide at this moment, very good look

Where you come from matters because you are more than likely living off all that sweet sweet suffering our country has inflicted across the world, and at home, for generations.

"Large scale genocide" Jesus Christ, the propaganda machine has that leash pulled tight, huh? The Australian Strategic Policy Institute is just trying to sell weapons. It's amazing how they've convinced people who couldn't be bothered for a single second about what their own country is doing in Yemen and elsewhere that they have any interest beyond business.

supervino256

Aug 14, 2019
Since when does Nintendo publish games in China ? They are pretty much hands off, Tencent is handling it...they don't even have access to the same eShop.
IIRC, Tencent is only handling the official console sales in mainland China, not Hong Kong, and not the special region of Shanghai.
Since the dripfeed for mainland Chinese games is so slow, I doubt this is the mainland version. It's probably the Hong Kong version, (that should also be different than the Taiwain version ?).

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think looking at the english version here would be the best way forward since treehouse is notorious for many changes and puns in their translation. Does the japanese version have the same meaning?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This shouldn't be surprising to anyone. If having to do business in China means taking local politics into account while localizing a game, they'll do it. It's a small price to pay for Nintendo to make more money, and for Chinese citizens to have access to these games.

It's not a small price to pay. This isn't only local politics. China already made a law where they will arrest you for defying their will outside their borders. They framed it in terms over their management of Hong Kong but don't expect this authoritarianism to simply end there in your lifetime.

China is increasingly challenging the world order in a way that's even more unhealthy than the current dynamic of capitalism with lax borders while everything else has more restrictions.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has a subsidiary, iQue, that handles their Chinese localizations released in hong kong and taiwan. in mainland china itself, most games aren't officially released, and tencent handles switch games there which i think only very few are officially allowed to be released (mario kart and nsmbudx, if i'm not mistaken). of course, people can still buy copies imported from Hong Kong from the black market.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like all the various localizations say slightly different things though

Also what is the actual text in the Japanese version? Did it literally say "human rights" and not even a Toad pun? That sounds odd and incorrect

An ugly literal translation would be:
"Human rights to Toads!
Freedom to Toads!"

"Human rights" is just one word in Japanese. It's not as simple as thinking " 'Toad rights' works in English, so why don't they say that in Japanese too?" Having キノピオ権 (Kinopio-ken, an extremely literal translation of "Toad rights") would just sound clunky AF to a native speaker. And what the writers went with works better as a slogan given that the two lines use the same syntax. The "human" part of the phrase in Japanese is better thought of as meaning "human-like, conscious being".

Also, Japanese video game scripts are typically way more literal in their writing than English scripts. The puns, metaphors and various flourishes you see in English localizations are just that: localizations, as opposed to translations. Trust me, if English scripts were just translations of Japanese scripts, even competent ones, they would just sound incredibly bland and functional. For better or for worse, that's just how most Japanese developers write dialogue in J-RPGs. Most likely taking cues from anime.

I'll refrain from making any comments on the Chinese localization, as I don't speak Chinese or know the culture that well. Interestingly though, the English translation doesn't have the word "freedom", so I don't feel it's fair to attack the Chinese script for not featuring the word "freedom" at least. If we're gonna do that, then let's attack the English localization as well. Each country will adapt scripts instead of slavishly translating them. This includes choosing words, concepts and phrasings that are more culturally relevant or just feel and sound better. Whether this is what happened here with the Chinese localization, or they went too far and it's actually fair to call the script watered down/censored, again, I can't say.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Ugh. Can't exactly be surprised; stuff like this should be expected from any corporation stepping into the Chinese market (which doesn't in any way excuse it, just to be clear)

It appears that every region's localisation altered the very blunt and literal Japanese script, though the English version at least retains some allusion to the original line about Toad rights (nothing about freedom though).

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Am I angry? Yes
Am I surprised because Nintendo did this? No, and that makes me still more angry

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a small price to pay. This isn't only local politics. China already made a law where they will arrest you for defying their will outside their borders. They framed it in terms over their management of Hong Kong but don't expect this authoritarianism to simply end there in your lifetime.

China is increasingly challenging the world order in a way that's even more unhealthy than the current dynamic of capitalism with lax borders while everything else has more restrictions.

It's a small price for Nintendo, I meant. Not for the greater good.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Where you come from matters because you are more than likely living off all that sweet sweet suffering our country has inflicted across the world, and at home, for generations.

"Large scale genocide" Jesus Christ, the propaganda machine has that leash pulled tight, huh? The Australian Strategic Policy Institute is just trying to sell weapons. It's amazing how they've convinced people who couldn't be bothered for a single second about what their own country is doing in Yemen and elsewhere that they have any interest beyond business.

Tell me I'm misreading and you aren't debating the semantics of one million people being put into concentration camps called "large scale genocide." I'm misinterpreting this post right?

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Why international companies do business in China, I'll never know. (yes, yes, money, but still)
It's just money. Western companies (and people in general) did business with the Nazi party before the war started too. Sweden made a lot of its wealth from selling iron to Germany and letting them (and Allies) use their railroads. Money is all that matters.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Nintendo is in for a ride, there's nothing gamers hate more than censorship. /s

Not but really, there's also no mention of rights in the Spanish version so this might simply be a non-literal translation taking some liberties, and not really malicious in intent.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
The issue isn't the long history of enmity between China and Japan. The issue is for whatever reason giving in to change something that isn't even critical of the Chinese government. Whether they changed it because of a request or via translation or whatever other reason, the idea that it has to be changed is astonishing.

The English version doesn't match the Japanese version (when translated to English which doesn't match the Chinese version (when translated to English) which doesn't match the Spanish version (when translated to English).

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
It's either that or not releasing their games in China. Nintendo is no NGO fighting for human rights. They are a company, and as a company, their only goal is to make profit. And you make profit by selling your products. Simple as that. A few months ago, it was Blizzard, now it's Nintendo, there are TONS of companies that do the same. Again, they have only one goal: make profit.

Fuck the chinese government. Fuck them for treating the Uyghurs like slaves and living organ banks. Fuck the chinese government. They are just the 21st century Nazi party and not a single country will do anything about that, because money. Fuck that.

Ludon Bear

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 4, 2020
What do people aspect Nintendo to do? Giving up, there complete chance in publishing and producing anything in China or bow down to the CCP's censorship rules? It isn't like, Nintendo is a necessary company, which could use there influence to have effect on the CCP. Maybe the culture and subtle ideas, can change the view of the population in China, instead of them never having the change to play any Nintendo games.
(At least Nintendo could move there production outside of China and away from literally slave facilities ... )

Status
Not open for further replies.