• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing Bowser statue. Of all the days though. lol

Nintendo's ignoring of Donkey Kong is bordering on comedy at this point. Nothing for the 25th anniversary yet they had bothered to tweet out for the 10th anniversary of NSMB Wii just earlier this month.

The trilogy is also notably absent from SNES Online despite pretty much all the other notable SNES games they published being available on the service.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017
oh cmon this is clearly nepotism as one of his family members is now head of NoA!

but seriously this is just a case of unfortunate timing although i am dissapointed that DKC didnt get any recognition of its 25th especially after Mario, Zelda & Kirby all did.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
702.png

"Truth is... The game was rigged from the start"

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
They're obviously waiting for the 25th anniversary of DKC2 next year to do something special. Right?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
The statue does look cool, but they should get rid of thw blue lighting from the Wii era already like Nintendo Tokyo did with its new store.

Amazing Bowser statue. Of all the days though. lol

Nintendo's ignoring of Donkey Kong is bordering on comedy at this point. Nothing for the 25th anniversary yet they had bothered to tweet out for the 10th anniversary of NSMB Wii.

The trilogy is also notably absent from SNES Online despite pretty much all the other notable SNES games they published being available on the service.
Wow so much ignore that is the only ther IP with mario that is going to have a land at universal osaka and orlando.

And have gotten games made by retro, and finally some k rool representation.

Yes, nintendo just mentioning anniversaries of mario anda zelda and fuck all the rest of IPs sucks major balls, im not a fan of that either and can be resolved with a simple tweet, it was even worse when they did it to Metroid for example, but lets not be hyperbolic here. DK is clearly not forgotten.

F-Zero fans should be the ones angry, not DK. Lol

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow so much ignore that is the only ther IP with mario that is going to have a land at universal osaka and orlando.

And have gotten games made by retro, and finally some k rool representation.

Yes, nintendo just mentioning anniversaries of mario anda zelda and fuck all the rest of IPs sucks major balls, it was even worse when they did it to Metroid for example, but lets not be hyperbolic here. DK is clearly not forgotten.

F-Zero fans should be the ones angry, not DK.

This really isn't an isolated incident though. Look at Nintendo Tokyo and its vast lineup of characters Nintendo famously created, yet Donkey Kong, the franchise that put them on the map, is absent.

fv-characters.jpg

I'd also argue that a franchise doesn't need to be completely dead for Nintendo's handling of it to be criticized. DKC itself is nearly 6 years past its last game and Nintendo received plenty of criticism from Metroid fans when they were at the same point in 2016.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Cool statue. Not everything has to be governed by anniversaries.

This really isn't an isolated incident though. Look at Nintendo Tokyo and its vast lineup of characters Nintendo famously created, yet Donkey Kong, the franchise that put them on the map, is absent.

fv-characters.jpg

I'd also argue that a franchise doesn't need to be completely dead for Nintendo's handling of it to be criticized. DKC itself is nearly 6 years past its last game and Nintendo received plenty of criticism from Metroid fans when they were at the same point in 2016.

Animal Crossing, Mario, Zelda and Splatoon are much more popular in Japan than Donkey Kong. They are a lot of characters but only 4 ip.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

fv-characters.jpg

Eh, that poster is clearly the internally developed games by Nintendo's flagship teams. DK is hardly the only big Nintendo character missing from that, there's no Pokémon for example either.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

fv-characters.jpg

It's just their biggest franchises on that banner (minus Pokémon). Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Animal Crossing and Zelda.
I mean, even IPs beloved by Nintendo EPD such as Pikmin isn't there.
And it's just a banner for a store anyway, it's no big deal. Mario, Animal Crossing, Splatoon : those are the IPs that customers come for, not as much for Donkey Kong. I'm sure people buy more products from Pikmin just because the plush are really cute, yet it's not there.

And as for the SNES line up... I mean, it's part of their strategy to not put all the games day one. It's supposed to get updates. There's also no Mother 2 for instance. Or Kirby Super Star.

NES Online didn't have Kirby Adventure, SMB 2 US and Japan (!!) at launch.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, that poster is clearly the internally developed games by Nintendo's flagship teams. DK is hardly the only big Nintendo character missing from that, there's no Pokémon for example either.

A Pokemon Center was opened in the same mall directly across from the Nintendo Store in Tokyo, even with a crossover merch line between Mario and Pokemon in the two stores.

It's just their biggest franchises on that banner. Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Animal Crossing and Zelda.
And it's just a banner for a store anyway, it's no big deal. Mario, Animal Crossing, Splatoon : those are the IPs that customers come for, not as much for Donkey Kong. I'm sure people buy more products from Pikmin just because the plush are really cute, yet it's not there.

And as for the SNES line up... I mean, it's part of their strategy to not put all the games day one. It's supposed to get updates. There's also no Mother 2 for instance.

The Pikmin are there, right underneath Zelda.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

fv-characters.jpg

While that art is clear where their marketing arm at Japan is, even their Universal is getting their DK land after the Olympics.
Thats more than any other IP apart of Mario is getting. And building a land is not cheap. I have to say im incredibly surprised of the DK area appearing also in Japan (If i was them, I wouldnt have, and would have chose a more japan loved IP, as Orlando getting DK is actually a good idea). I would have added DK to that art if i was Nintendo Japan though, but from a marketing standpoint it sadly makes sense, not from an historical one and thats why I also thought it was sad.
DKCR TF did get a rerelease while Metroid was being shitted by Nintendo far and wide, with Fed force being a joke game by Tanabe that doesnt even know what people wanted from the franchise.
Theres also a rumour were DKCR3 is being worked on.
That IP is all but forgotten. As I say, it frankly sucks Nintendo isnt more like Disney in this regard celebrating the anniversaries of their parks and movies (that arent song of the south and the black cauldron lol) but saying they are mistreating DK ip is incredibly hyperbolic here.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While that art is clear where their marketing arm at Japan is, even their Universal is getting their DK land after the Olympics.
Thats more than any other IP apart of Mario is getting. And building a land is not cheap. I have to say im incredibly surprised of the DK area appearing also in Japan (If i was them, I wouldnt have, and would have chose a more japan loved IP, as Orlando getting DK is actually a good idea). I would have added DK to that art if i was Nintendo Japan though, but from a marketing standpoint it sadly makes sense, not from an historical one and thats why I also thought it was sad.
DKCR TF did get a rerelease while Metroid was being shitted by Nintendo far and wide, with Fed force being a joke game by Tanabe that doesnt even know what people wanted from the franchise.
Theres also a rumour were DKCR3 is being worked on.
That IP is all but forgotten. As I say, it frankly sucks Nintendo isnt more like Disney in this regard celebrating the anniversaries of their parks and movies (that arent song of the south and the black cauldron lol) but saying they are mistreating DK ip is incredibly hyperbolic here.

You have to remember that the theme park is part of a deal that was signed for back in 2015, and many of its influences are strictly from what Nintendo was doing in the Wii U era. The 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Retro DK influences are big there in the parks.

Additionally that land is 4 years from now in Orlando, and who knows in Japan. I think it is reasonable they could do something more significant with the IP before then. As I said I don't really think things like that banner or even a Bowser statue in Nintendo NY is a big deal (the old DK statue looked awful and was falling apart), but it is just disappointing as a fan to see this character and series go often unappreciated despite its historical and cultural value.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's just their biggest franchises on that banner (minus Pokémon). Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Animal Crossing and Zelda.

And as for the SNES line up... I mean, it's part of their strategy to not put all the games day one. It's supposed to get updates. There's also no Mother 2 for instance. Or Kirby Super Star.

NES Online didn't have Kirby Adventure, SMB 2 US and Japan (!!) at launch.

Right, it's definitely the big EPD franchises that are made internally, of which DK isn't a part of.

It makes sense why he isn't there, but it's just sad.

On the topic of SNES Online, I'm not sure what to believe. NES games were something added monthly so I don't think there wasn't an expectation that those games would eventually be on the service. Who knows when we get the next update on SNES though.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
You have to remember that the theme park is part of a deal that was signed for back in 2015, and many of its influences are strictly from what Nintendo was doing in the Wii U era. The 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Retro DK influences are big there in the parks.

Additionally that land is 4 years from now in Orlando, and who knows in Japan. I think it is reasonable they could do something more significant with the IP before then. As I said I don't really think things like that banner or even a Bowser statue in Nintendo NY is a big deal (the old DK statue looked awful and was falling apart), but it is just disappointing as a fan to see this character and series go often unappreciated despite its historical and cultural value.
Its more than you say about the theme park deal. Plans fluctuate (shit, look at Nintendo, the orlando park has changed multiple times, in date, in size, location form and rides in all this years) and if DK has stayed and actually was added to Osaka (were it really wasnt in the plans until very late per what Alicia Stella says) its becuase Nintendo actually knows the value of it even in Japan. Maybe thats actually the idea, making the IP more popular in Japan.
One of the things for example people are adamant that is gonna stay like in the first artwork showed from the DK land are the tikis, and something tells me that those are probably changed from the final plans and K Rool makes an appearence (hopefully that also mean DKCR3 usue the K rool finally).
DK also gets a ton of mechandise other Nintendo IPs dont.

Again the banner thing sucks, not tweeting about the anniversary sucks, but its not really mistreated.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
On the topic of SNES Online, I'm not sure what to believe. NES games were something added monthly so I don't think there wasn't an expectation that those games would eventually be on the service. Who knows when we get the next update on SNES though.
Probably more or less each quarter, around each direct. January, then march then june, then september, and repeat. They might think that releasing a bunch at the same time is better than just releasing 2 or 3 each month. People didn't really much care, since some months there was no fan favorites games.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder when we'll see the next Donkey Kong title. It's a big IP for them, but ever since Rare departed from Nintendo it's been a franchise without a proper team attached to it, which has really hurt it. We had EAD Tokyo building an excellent (but gimmicky) platformer before moving on to become the de facto 3D Mario studio and we've seen Retro resurrecting the DKC brand. But after developing two DKCs they, too, seemed to have moved on. Whatever they were doing in the past years likely wasn't another DKC (because, frankly, if that was the case I don't see how it didn't materialise) and now they are back on Metroid. I guess they might go back to Donkey Kong after Metroid Prime 4, but if MP4 ends up being a success I kinda don't really see that happen, either. Except if they expand Retro into a two project studio.

So, yeah, what do you do with it? EPD doing DK internally appears unlikely, Retro's busy with MP4 for the foreseeable future, who's left to take the torch? Good-Feel could need a break from Yoshi, because that franchise kinda is running dry, but they don't strike me as a good fit for DK, either.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
Anyway, the Donkey Kong statue was originally made for Nintendo booth at E3 2013, after the event was over they placed it at Nintendo New York:

CqIIWVM.jpg

rsmBe6m.jpg

X0wkKfy.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo only usually celebrate the anniversary of the beginning of their respective franchises.

DKC is not the start of the franchise.

The DK franchise will be celebrating its 40th anniversary in July 2021. Maybe it'll get something then.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the new Bowser statue is a sign of Nintendo giving some more care to Nintendo NY. I'm not expecting much, if any, or the merch from Nintendo Tokyo to end up there, but it would be nice if some eventually did.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I do wonder when we'll see the next Donkey Kong title. It's a big IP for them, but ever since Rare departed from Nintendo it's been a franchise without a proper team attached to it, which has really hurt it. We had EAD Tokyo building an excellent (but gimmicky) platformer before moving on to become the de facto 3D Mario studio and we've seen Retro resurrecting the DKC brand. But after developing two DKCs they, too, seemed to have moved on. Whatever they were doing in the past years likely wasn't another DKC (because, frankly, if that was the case I don't see how it didn't materialise) and now they are back on Metroid. I guess they might go back to Donkey Kong after Metroid Prime 4, but if MP4 ends up being a success I kinda don't really see that happen, either. Except if they expand Retro into a two project studio.

So, yeah, what do you do with it? EPD doing DK internally appears unlikely, Retro's busy with MP4 for the foreseeable future, who's left to take the torch? Good-Feel could need a break from Yoshi, because that franchise kinda is running dry, but they don't strike me as a good fit for DK, either.

At this point, might as well just hand it over to Playtonic. They have former DKC and DK64 developers working there. Maybe they could even try their hand at a 3D DK platformer. That would be interesting. It would have to be a lot better than the original Yooka Laylee though.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
That looks so much better. The DK statue was cool, but it was just...there. This makes the space feel more alive.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Forget the statue - they should put a bathroom in that store. I hate having to run across to the subway mall to use that disgusting bathroom. Especially if I'm trying to kill time while my wife and daughter are seeing a show or something.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo only usually celebrate the anniversary of the beginning of their respective franchises.

DKC is not the start of the franchise.

The DK franchise will be celebrating its 40th anniversary in July 2021. Maybe it'll get something then.
I thought this too, but Mario anniversary stuff corresponds to SMB instead MB. DKC is a sorta similar situation, though the original Donkey Kong stuff lasted way longer, so who knows.