• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Also glad it finally happened, NLG is a good ally for Nintendo and now they don't have to wait for the next contracts.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never played this game. Any ideas as to what was off about the portrayal of Mario and co?
They couldn't handle his power.
d503a7793307bf28aa88001fea413964.gif

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this is because Next Level wanted to be acquired, or if Microsoft's recent actions spooked Nintendo.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Shin'en would be a great purchase as well. They're wizards on Nintendo's hardware but I suppose Nintendo doesn't see much value on a very small studio.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
glad Nintendo picked them up.. they are a talented bunch and with all the consolidation currently going on I could see MS, tencent or even Embracer group going for them.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Hopefully because of this they can grow a substantial amount and become a 2 team studio. Mario Strikers and Punch Out let's gooo!!

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
'Bout time Nintendo buys them. Future is looking good for NLG and considering LM3 might be their best game, I am looking forward to whatever they are working on next.
Shin'en would be a great purchase as well. They're wizards on Nintendo's hardware but I suppose Nintendo doesn't see much value on a very small studio.
They would also be a great purchase, but I suppose you're right, Nintendo sees I reason to buy such a small development team.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Really hoping they can be expanded to a 2 project team relatively quickly. Wouldn't surprise me if Luigi's Mansion 4 was already in development, and there could be a small group prototyping some new ideas for a new Punch-Out or Strikers. Once the acquisition is complete they can really start expanding and hopefully get two projects in development. All three series deserve sequels.

May 19, 2020
You don't think Microsoft buying up potential assets and partners is cause for Nintendo's concern?
ok but why would they go after next level games in particular. what benefit would the makers of federation force and captain america super soldier provide to microsoft.

you've clearly created a narrative in your brain that doesn't actually stand up to any scrutiny. it's a silly parlor game of your own design but i guess you tricked me into playing with you lol

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
If this is something NLG wanted, then I am cool with it. They have done wonderful work with Nintendo, and although I always support small businesses remaining independent, they have been Nintendo-exclusive for some time anyway.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
yeah they were basically first party already so this is just going the 10% distance remaining

lol @ spooking the company with the most valuable IP in the industry, ok pally lol

considering how Nintendo looked during the Wii U era I imagine their pretty easy to spook. Bethesda has been a rare third party ally to Nintendo this gen so their acquisition could have at least raised eyebrows.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see Nintendo getting in with some of the action.

May 19, 2020
considering how Nintendo looked during the Wii U era I imagine their pretty easy to spook. Bethesda has been a rare third party ally to Nintendo this gen so their acquisition could have at least raised eyebrows.
Nintendo during the WiiU era is not relevant to the conversation anymore. different leadership, different corporate strategy, different product.

i guess i'm just doing a leisure drive through fanboy narrative town with some of you folks lol

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
They're an excellent studio. I wonder why they bought them because they had a good partnership going on but I suspect Nintendo will want to scale them up more and invest in the company. I hope they can output a game per year at least after a few years. Luigi's Mansion should stay with them and let them do a few other IP and a new IP of themselves hopefully.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Awesome news. Hope this means they get to work on more Nintendo IPs and/or create new ones.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I get that they have history but I never figured they would outright buy them. I mean, they decided to buy NLG before they bought Hal/Gamefreak/Intelligent Systems, Camelot and probably a bunch of other developers they've had exclusive relationships with over the years that have made them waaaay more money than NLG did.

Still, good on them. Being a first party developer means a much bigger budget, so looking forward to what they'll come up with.
You don't need to buy companies like hal or intelligent system when you are working so close with them. We don't now how they are affiliated in the background but considering that intelligent systems has (I think) still a team directly at Nintendos Headquarters and hal provides various development support, it seems like the involved parties don't see a need to change the current situation.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Finally dig Lugi Mansion 3, at 7th floor atm. What a great game, and great acquisition for Nintendo!

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo during the WiiU era is not relevant to the conversation anymore. different leadership, different corporate strategy, different product.

i guess i'm just doing a leisure drive through fanboy narrative town with some of you folks lol

That's not how businesses work? If the industry is about to start consolidating then Nintendo would atleast be looking at that, sense ignoring trends is what sent them into the Wii U era to begin with. Also fanboy narrative? What exactly am I supposed to be a fanboy of to think bringing up Microsoft's heavy acquisitions are a valid thing to bring up in a thread about a competitor also doing an acquisition?

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
This must all be a part of Nintendo's genius plan to grow NLG so that they can work in the Mario sports mines instead of Camelot, who will be allowed out in order to work on Golden Sun again.

ok but why would they go after next level games in particular. what benefit would the makers of federation force and captain america super soldier provide to microsoft.

you've clearly created a narrative in your brain that doesn't actually stand up to any scrutiny. it's a silly parlor game of your own design but i guess you tricked me into playing with you lol

Yeah, I tricked you into replying to my delusions of Microsoft buying studios en masse. You figured it out. Good job.

Oct 12, 2020
they're painfully edgy
Nope, they went for an unique style and it fit the more "brutal" gameplay of tackling opponents. You wouldn't ever confuse Mario Striker with Mario Party or any other Mario Sports game. I really would have loves, that all Mario Sports game good their unique style (Mario Tennis Aces already looks more unique, then its previous titles).

Also bring back Mario Strikers!

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This must all be a part of Nintendo's genius plan to grow NLG so that they can work in the Mario sports mines instead of Camelot, who will be allowed out in order to work on Golden Sun again.

Yeah, I tricked you into replying to my delusions of Microsoft buying studios en masse. You figured it out. Good job.
At this point I am pretty sure NLG has a better equipped staff to handle a RPG than Camelot themselves do.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Great developers, I hope this is good for them, should be.
Now show me some Mario Strikers switch.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I thought they were acquired years ago.

On an unrelated note, back in the early 2000s as a middle school kid I ran a proboards forum called Next Level Games that ended up getting something like 1500 members. That was cool. I had never heard of the developer until I played Mario Strikers Charged.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Good for them! I wonder if their contract was up and they were tired of the current arrangement.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not too surprising but cool news all the same. The NLG titles I've played have all been excellent and their partnership with Nintendo didn't seem to have any signs of wavering.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I was curious, the last non first party Nintendo title they made was Captain America Super Soldier in 2011

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fuckin finally. They deserve it. Can't wait to see them with an actual budget and a big team/teams.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I love Mario Strikers and can't wait for the next game in the series, but I feel the series distancing itself from the normal Mario conventions was actually a detriment to the game.

Besides not liking the artstyle and the edgy vibe of the game I also hate how all stadiums are completely made up locations, as opposed to stadiuns inspired by the series. Imagine playing in New Donk City, Dolfino Plaza or an Airship as opposed to a generic desert with lightning.

People often complain about american angry Kirby, most of the portrayals in Strikers are pretty much the same.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am very happy, they were a great second party, and Luigi's Mansion 3 is an absolute gem of a game. Typical Nintendo quality.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Good move for both sides. I'm interested in their next game. Federation Force aside, NLG's have only gotten better and better.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Yamauchi didn't understand the market anymore and made a series of near-fatal mistakes.

It's why he retired & Iwata took over, who course corrected the company to the DS & Wii
Hiroshi Yamauchi actually was fully behind and backed Nintendo's new direction.
The reason he stepped down as CEO was that by 2002 he was way too old to be the CEO of a multinational company (he was 75 years old!)

How I know he backed Iwata's tenure? Because he was the one that came out with the dual screen concept and because he was vocal, during interviews around the time there was the pass of the baton, on the direction he wished the company followed:
"Coincidental to my leaving the company, I would like to make one request: that Nintendo give birth to wholly new ideas and create hardware which reflects that ideal. And make software that adheres to that same standard. Furthermore, this software should attract consumers as new and interesting. Lastly, and of equal importance, is completing these products quickly and at a cost comparable to today's current market. I imagine most people question the feasibility of my request, but Nintendo has always pursued those objectives. I'd ask that the company continue to follow this goal as my final and only request to the new management staff. I can't say what these new types of software will be, but I'm sure they'll release it during my lifetime."

Under Yamauchi Nintendo collected successes and failures but the old man still had an incredible business acumen until the very end.
I always like to recall the answer he gave to the japanese magazine Dengeki when asked about the current state of the japanese console industry back in 2002 (Sony was dominating with PS2):
"Tomorrow, they could lose that strength, as reversals of fortune are part of this business. Taking into account the things I've encountered in my experiences as Nintendo president, I have come to the conclusion that it requires a special talent to manage a company in this industry. I selected Iwata-san based on that criteria. Over the long-term I don't know whether Iwata-san will maintain Nintendo's position or lead the company to even greater heights of success. At the very least, I believe him to be the best person for the job. "

And what happened in Japan a few years later was that in 2006 the Nintendo platforms regained the number one spot for the highest number of software sold in the year and never looked back, with the sole exception of 2011.
Nowadays Nintendo is in such a strong position in Japan that Nintendo's first-party software outsold the total third-party software sales combined on PlayStation platforms for 4 straight years (Media Create data for the whole 2020 isn't yet available however 2020 was even more lopsided in favor of Nintendo than previous years).

93LXj0V.jpeg

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those saying it's the first acquisition since Monolith Soft are forgetting the acquisition of Mobiclip, later known as Nintendo European Search & Development (NERD) in 2011.

The PR makes it evident that this is a move initiated by NLG rather than Nintendo actually wanting to acquire the company but it's a good move nonethless if it secures their stability.