• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
So I get an email Nintendo with the subject "Just for you for your birthday!" Opening it reveals a 30% coupon for select games.

This is 2019, the Switch it 2 years old at this point...why are the following my only choices:

birthday.jpg

Maybe its just me, but i found this very disappointing...

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Oh God, this pissed me off so much last month.

I just saw the email as "happy birthday! Here's a coupon for 30% off!".

Imagine my surprise when I find out it wasn't for any game.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty lame. Maybe done to prevent abuse, but it would be nice if they added more modern games or a universal coupon

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty pissed when I got this today too. I can't wait for more 3DS titles in 5 years time. Its so fucking stingy lol. Could they not have managed 1 30% discount on a switch game? Even if it's a small title?

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I think it's pretty cool of them to give us a birthday discount, other stores should do it!

But it's indeed pretty lame that it's only for 3DS and WiiU. I've received one of those in December, a few days before I bought my Switch and didn't spent it on any 3DS games because I thought "well, gonna save that for a Switch game". Ended up getting nothing with it.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
Nintendo is allergic to discounts.

On a side note, holy shit since when is Pikmin 3 $20?

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
There are no Platinum Coin rewards for Switch either, and Gold is limited to cashback. Most of MyNintendo is stuck on Wii U and 3DS. Wouldn't be surprised if they cut that off instead of making the Switch. Would be more "professional" and "mainstream".

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
They're essentially just maintaining this system from the 3DS/Wii U days and haven't given any thought to updating it yet.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's pretty much always either games you already own or games you have no interest in. Even if it included Switch games, it'd be useless. The whole thing is a joke.

The silver lining is at least they let us use those points towards digital games.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
the fact the 3DS version of Fire Emblem Warriors is there is especially hilarious

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I generally don't complain about this sort of thing, but it's so laughably worthless that I'll make an exception in this case. LOL

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's the equivalent of getting a really half - ass present from someone who forgot. I'd legit would rather take like 10 gold coins.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's pretty LAME. LAME LAME LAME.

Just give me like 500 gold coins to spend on anything.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It used to be better with Club Nintendo as they would just give you 50 star points.

That discount is just a slap in the face and I have only used it once to buy Paper Mario Sticker Star as it was also on sale at the time.

Robert81

Nov 2, 2017
I got this email today too. It took me longer to remember my password to log into site. When I saw the above games listed, I couldn't help but laugh. I just knew it be a waste of time seeing what is offered. Same for Nintendo eshop sales. I never see any great sales

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to me the real problem is My Nintendo hasn't updated to account for any Switch Deals. All of the discounts on the site are for 3DS/Wii U and all the "Software" you can buy is 3DS/Wii U.

It's kind of ridiculous that the only swtich anything on the site are...wallpapers for your phone and starter guides for Odyssey, Splatoon 2, MK8DX & BotW. And one of those is also a Wii U game and another is a port featuring everything from the wiiu game!

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah, that was a downer on my birthday, too. For everything Nintendo has gotten right with the Switch, their customer loyalty rewards really blow when compared to past programs.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Do you expect Wii U games to be full price in 2019?
Nintendo's Wii U games that are still $60 on the eShop:

Hyrule Warriors
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8
New Super Mario Bros U + New Super Luigi U Bundle
Paper Mario: Color Splash
Pokken Tournament
Splatoon
Super Mario Maker
Super Smash Bros.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Twilight Princess is still $50. Star Fox Zero is still $50. Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is still $50.

They've dropped prices on some of their games, but most are still at full price.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious what this will look like in a year. I received this same email and had similar thoughts.

I wish I could see what it looked like when I got it last year. I'm pretty sure a number of the games are the same. (I think Hey! Pikmin might have been on there.)

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
I mean, you don't actually deserve anything for having a birthday, so I guess it's nice you get something, regardless of whether or not you want it.

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
On my birthday they gave me 300 platinum points.. which seems even more useless. Unless you're into their mobile games and like virtual hats.

nin.jpg

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I got this too this month. I thought it would be older Switch games from 2017 and 2018, I didn't expect freaking 3ds/WiiU games FFS. I expected nothing and it's worse, insert Malcom in Middle gif.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got this email today as well. Had a tinge of excitement, then came to the bitter realization that yeah, My Nintendo is 3DS/Wii U deals only.

Also Platinum coins are useless. Have over a thousand of them and nothing to use them on aside from an occassional JPEG for a phone wallpaper. They really need to get the service updated to include Switch deals if they care about people engaging with it.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I got a coupon email this year and the list was empty. Couldn't get a discount even if I wanted.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got this email today as well. Had a tinge of excitement, then came to the bitter realization that yeah, My Nintendo is 3DS/Wii U deals only.

Also Platinum coins are useless. Have over a thousand of them and nothing to use them on aside from an occassional JPEG for a phone wallpaper. They really need to get the service updated to include Switch deals if they care about people engaging with it.

Remember when Club Nintendo ended and people were expecting MyNintendo to pick up speed once Nintendo's new system came out? Yeah, those were the days.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Man, my Birthday is approaching and I just don't want to spend money on more 3DS games.

I wish they would make some Switch offers.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
If everyone is complaining how the offers are not good, shouldn't we be reporting feedback (constructive and coherent) to Nintendo, so by some time later, they can improve this?

The main issue is that Nintendo isn't receiving enough feedback to warrant a change to the offerings. So, just send feedback to them, politely and constructively.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Would it really kill Nintendo just to offer a 30% discount off anything on the eshop $59.99 or lower for birthday promotions?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
So I get an email Nintendo with the subject "Just for you for your birthday!" Opening it reveals a 30% coupon for select games.

This is 2019, the Switch it 2 years old at this point...why are the following my only choices:

birthday.jpg

Maybe its just me, but i found this very disappointing...
Hey they aren't obligated to give you birthday presents you aren't their employee, take a metroid or fe and call it a day , Pikmin is cool too :^3

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even those sale prices were standard it would be too high for those games at this point.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I got the same email today too. I knew it was going to be trash when it said 30% off, but I thought they could at least offer double gold coins on a purchase.

Deleted member 4179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Went through it last month. Was really hoping to get NSMBUD with it because I sure as fuck didn't want to pay full price for that again, and Nintendo's Mario Day sale was a fucking disaster. Imagine my surprise when I saw it was only for stuff I either already had or had no interest in. Nintendo sure is clueless sometimes.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I really miss the unique, physical rewards with Club Nintendo. Still got my DS/3DS card cases, canvas bag, and gold nunchuck. I was also happy with Club Nintendo moving towards digital rewards, as I got copies of NES Remix, Dr. Luigi, and Punch-Out for "FREE" (I mean after spending hundreds of dollars, of course).

My Nintendo is basically just a 5% digital / 1% physical credit back rewards program to me.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
I also received a birthday e-mail from Nintendo today but I only got wallpapers =/
Any idea why?

neroxyr

Nov 14, 2018
hahahaha, when you get a preset from Nintendo, don't expect too much. I was all excited to see in what switch games I'll use and all 3ds/wii u. They're not even producing wii u. Step up Nintendo. The Switch is NOW!

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
I also received a birthday e-mail from Nintendo today but I only got wallpapers =/
Any idea why?

You don't have a NNID that's connected to a 3DS or Wii U? Or maybe it's just not available in your country.

They're essentially just maintaining this system from the 3DS/Wii U days and haven't given any thought to updating it yet.

My Nintendo is a year older than the Switch. A YEAR. It's not like Nintendo isn't bothering with updating a system that has been put in place (together with the Nintendo account system) to be ready for Switch. In fact they are deliberately excluding Switch rewards, because the Software is selling well enough without it. Remember when they promised Switch rewards would come "soon". Yeah, those were the days.