• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo doesn't have an intern database with all their sprites?
i think the problem is a lot of these games weren't technically developed by nintendo themselves, but by subsidiaries/partners. it would be hard to track down every asset across 50 companies, it'd be much easier to just search the internet.

Lol I missed the sarcasm for the first paragraph
you should recognize the sarcasm from the first line. it's based on this legendary post:
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The fact that you've already posted several times in here shouting people down tells me all I need to now about you arguing in good faith. Ignored.

I feel like people are being willfully obtuse. They still have the fanmade sprite in the game that was just covered up. No one is saying Nintendo needs to prostrate themselves to the world, but either acknowledgement or a fix needs to be made.
And the fact that you are trying to appear so outraged says a lot about you given your post history. Keep raging, son

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It's embarrassing that they are literally downloading images from the internet instead of their own assets, BUT the Masked Man sprite is still theirs.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone who keeps saying "Well it's Nintendo's to begin with!" are missing the point. Instead of having their own sprite made, they went into someone's Deviantart gallery, found the sprite they wanted with the fanmade sprite next to it and cut the fanmade sprite out to put in Smash. It doesn't matter if it's theirs. They still have someone's art in the game that they covered up to use their own.
Lol you be working too hard man. Relax, you not getting paid.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's odd they didn't crop it better. That's like a 2 second job any yahoo with Photoshop could do. They must have been extremely pressed for time.

It's an interesting find, but it's got nothing on Daisy's hidden third eye in her Smash Melee trophy.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
See it from Nintendo's standpoint: It's much much easier to just download pictures from Google instead of creating a new 3D models of their characters. It's free ingame content.

/s

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Consistent history of platform warring and trolling; accumulated infractions.
Plagiarism. Nintendo, as usual, trying to be as tight as possible.

Plum

May 31, 2018
You would think the sprite would be available at a moment's notice, for one thing. That said, it's not that big a deal.

They are available at a moment's notice... on the internet. Sakurai's team/Bandai Namco doesn't have a massive database of literally thousands of source images from hundreds of different games and tens of different developers/publishers at their disposal, for the most part they would have sourced these images themselves.

Plagiarism. Nintendo, as usual, trying to be as tight as possible.

This has to be sarcasm, right?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The outrage olympics in this forum are just too fucking much sometimes.

Oct 25, 2017
They would probably be at 1-UP Studio or HAL anyway. They didn't ask because the other person would have gladly helped them out but thought "Why don't you just use Google, you silly goober?"
They probably did the same for games that only have one spirit, can't imagine them going to the archive to retrieve an 8 inch floppy disk and do all the work necessary for just one Sprite

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The outrage olympics in this forum are just too fucking much sometimes.

I hate this type of blanket characterization. I read through this thread and there are three or four posts out of 132 that could be considered 'outraged'. And you don't even bother to quote any of them. You aren't helping.

Nov 4, 2018
What strikes me as odd is that there are so many brand new HQ versions of art that we've never had before. I figured that meant that whoever was in charge of getting the artwork for Spirits was extremely resourceful, but now I think that it's just that Nintendo has a massive archive of their art assets but they don't have sprites.

Otherwise why not just rip the sprite straight from Mother 3 instead of cropping it from a google image search?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm pretty sure they messed up by mistake, will probably update if they take notice.

Nevermind, misread, OP messed up lol. Nothing to see here, other than desperate attempt to create controversy.

Pretty much. It's their own fucking sprite, who cares where they got it back from? If the portion of the fanmade sprite showed in-game I could see an issue, but having to rip it and change the alpha? Of all the many things to criticise Smash Ult for, this one is about as scandalous as downloading back your own user avatar image from ResetEra.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a weird place to have to go for art assets from one of your own games, but whatever works I guess.

I wish ERA was already around when Naughty Dog put Assassin's creed concept art in Uncharted 4. Your reaction would have been interesting to compare and contrast.

You mean in one shot of a trailer for Uncharted 4? Yeah, I can remember at the old place the amount of people in this community and in the media who lost their shit over that was pretty epic... and was(Is?) still being used as an excuse to shit on ND years later. Always seemed fairly extreme a reaction for what could also be labelled a "minor mistake".

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017

For the sake of accuracy of those 3 visible pixels they might fix it.
(Didn't they already say they had several changes pending for other sprites? Thinking of one of G&W's spirit.)
The invisible data is revelant for dataminers and rippers who manipulate the raw image data.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If actual fan art were used as a Spirit, alright I could maybe see controversy.

A few fan art pixels that are effectively cut off because an employee got slightly sloppy? Nah, pick your battles, this is not a hill to die on.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I get that they cut corners to import over a thousand images from games, but this is a weird one, lol. Like, how was an alpha channel easier than just using the eraser tool?

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I think people vastly overestimate how well asset databases are typically organized especially once the production has long since been completed. It was probably way easier for the intern to just google it.

Rudolph

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado by way of Louisiana
Nintendo always going after creators while at the same time always has to get their shit from online... I hope they downloaded all the roms before the ROM site shutdown lol

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
What strikes me as odd is that there are so many brand new HQ versions of art that we've never had before. I figured that meant that whoever was in charge of getting the artwork for Spirits was extremely resourceful, but now I think that it's just that Nintendo has a massive archive of their art assets but they don't have sprites.

Otherwise why not just rip the sprite straight from Mother 3 instead of cropping it from a google image search?

It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo EPD has archives of their legacy stuff that include art and sprites, especially for their popular IPs, but that process wasn't in place company-wide when Brownie Brown made Mother 3. Or maybe someone from HAL (not part of Nintendo) made that sprite. Brownie Brown's now 1-Up Studio so they've probably had some turnover and people shuffled around since Mother 3 was made.

Oct 29, 2017
It was probably some guy at Namco who was part of the team making the Spirits, who was pressed for time, and just decided to google search the sprite sheet for this character; rather than ask around at Nintendo/1up Studio/Brownies for the original sprite sheet assets. There's over 1,200 Spirits in the game, so they would've had hardly any time to spend on each one if they wanted to get the game out on time....

The Nintendo side (and Sakurai) probably weren't even aware that there was fanart that got snuck into the game.

And really? It doesn't actually matter. It's not even the first time that fanmade assets have appeared in a Nintendo published game. The PokeEarth crop in Pokemon OR/AS immediately springs to mind...

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
between this and the ROMs on Virtual Console, I seriously wonder if Nintendo just Googles everything and would be fucked if fans didn't preserve their own stuff.