• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Or they just Google image searched the sprite, grabbed the first lossless result and cropped/alpha masked the image for a quick 1 minute job to feature content that is 100% their intellectual property.
And if by 'someone's art' you mean a whole 37 pixels you can't even see in game, then yeah.
Honestly where's the reason for outrage? This is mildly lazy at best.
You are replying for a person who literally called insiders informations in a sales thread "borderline worthless" for the sake of console warring, it's not worth it.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that you've already posted several times in here shouting people down tells me all I need to now about you arguing in good faith. Ignored.

I feel like people are being willfully obtuse. They still have the fanmade sprite in the game that was just covered up. No one is saying Nintendo needs to prostrate themselves to the world, but either acknowledgement or a fix needs to be made.

What needs fixed or what acknowledgment needs to be made though? The only thing visible in the game is their own art.

What a weird thread. I was hoping for some AC art in Uncharted type deal. Instead it's nothing.

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: “Lazy Devs” Rhetoric. Please review our FAQ.
It has a small fraction of the fanmade sprite and, since it's not visible in the game at all, it's not used. There is no controversy here, the art is originally theirs.

You realize the person who found this ripped the sprite from the game and turned the alpha channels on showing the portion of the fanmade sprite in the picture right? Why are so many people trying to defend this? Whoever made the sprite was being lazy and did a bad job of cropping the sprite. We take Ubisoft, Naughty Dog, etc. to task for having other people's artwork in their games, so why not Nintendo?

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Everyone who keeps saying "Well it's Nintendo's to begin with!" are missing the point. Instead of having their own sprite made, they went into someone's Deviantart gallery, found the sprite they wanted with the fanmade sprite next to it and cut the fanmade sprite out to put in Smash. It doesn't matter if it's theirs. They still have someone's art in the game that they covered up to use their own.

But they don't have someone's art in the game. They have their own art in the game. To see what little of someone else's art the raw file does contain, you not only need to extract it from the game (for which you will need to have jailbroken your Switch or downloaded a ROM of the game), but also manipulate the file to remove the alpha channel and 'reveal' the color data.

That they got 'their own art' from someone else is not really an issue - Nintendo owns their own art by default, and can use exact copies of it as they please. And the art that is actually in the game, is an exact copy of their own art.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This thread seemed more dramatic than it actually is.
They didn't have the asset on hand and used the quickest method available for content that was 100% legally theirs.

It's not as bad as Sony using someone's render of Sir Daniel in Medievals teaser trailer. 🤷‍ It's just a silly mistake.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
You realize the person who found this ripped the sprite from the game and turned the alpha channels on showing the portion of the fanmade sprite in the picture right? Why are so many people trying to defend this? Whoever made the sprite was being lazy and did a bad job of cropping the sprite. We take Ubisoft, Naughty Dog, etc. to task for having other people's artwork in their games, so why not Nintendo?

Because it's not "in" the game. I can't play Smash and see it. Covering up those 37 pixels had the same effect as deleting them or whatever.

Killyoh

Oct 28, 2017
Paris, France
You realize the person who found this ripped the sprite from the game and turned the alpha channels on showing the portion of the fanmade sprite in the picture right? Why are so many people trying to defend this?
Because that's REALLY not a big deal. It's a massive project, as a graphic designer I know that processing a lot of pictures can be tedious so you look for efficiency first.

They should still patch the picture to remove the tiny bit of artwork in the alpha channel but there's no controversy here.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The person ripped this file from the game, it's something 99% of end-users will never see because they're not data mining it. People criticized Naughty Dog for actually using an artist's subway map in the game, it's being used, it's shown. People criticized Naughty Dog for actually featuring artwork from Assassin's Creed 4 in one of Uncharted's trailers. There's a huge difference here, between the devs actually using stolen art in their games and Nintendo cropping their own art from an image submitted to DeviantArt by someone else.

Ok, I'm done. I'm not calling for Nintendo's head on a silver platter, all I'm saying is for them to acknowledge they goofed. Obviously it's a sprite, but if it's someone's art, it's someone's art. I'm out.
It's not someone else's art. That's the point.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
are you FUCKING serious now
i knew you would compare it to when Naughty Dog stole an art from ACIV for a trailer but i hoped you wouldn't dare

Ok, I'm done. I'm not calling for Nintendo's head on a silver platter, all I'm saying is for them to acknowledge they goofed. Obviously it's a sprite, but if it's someone's art, it's someone's art. I'm out.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

Why is this important to you?

Jun 26, 2018
IpDAgCi.gif

Jan 1, 2018
Yes, the art is Nintendo's, and re: intellectual property law, their submission of Nintendo's undited art to deviant art as their own is a worse offense than Nintendo's use of their own art after it had been uploaded by said user.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Philly Cheesesteak tried so very very hard with this nontroversey ITT I see lol

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Non news. Nintendo owns the original sprite which was likely obtained by a rom dump anyways.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense to just grab a sprite from the internet since there's no need for the art to be high res. Weird that they didn't take a second to erase it completely since they went to the effort of hiding it under the alpha channels

Plum

May 31, 2018

Sure it's a 'goof' but it's a small percentage of someone's art that literally no-one can see in the game itself, it doesn't matter whatsoever unless you have some strange desire to find out how "lazy" the devs were. However what people are calling you out on is how your first post on the matter was a crass "But other studios do it too!" and how you continued to make such comparisons despite both being evidently wrong.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I mean this makes complete sense to do in terms of the creative process. It's not lazy if it's more efficient in the context of creating the thousand-plus spirits, it's common sense.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
There's really no issue, sometimes it's easier to google an asset from one of your games than it is to dig through old directories of projects that haven't been touched in years.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Everyone who keeps saying "Well it's Nintendo's to begin with!" are missing the point. Instead of having their own sprite made, they went into someone's Deviantart gallery, found the sprite they wanted with the fanmade sprite next to it and cut the fanmade sprite out to put in Smash. It doesn't matter if it's theirs. They still have someone's art in the game that they covered up to use their own.
Honestly it's embarrassing what you are trying to do here, everyone uses google search daily, especially artists. They did nothing wrong.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Nintendo owns the original sprite, what is the issue here?

From what I can gather for us LTTP the thread had a hyperbolic title (maybe the word stealing was involved?) which caught the attention of one of the biggest Nintendo haters on the site to bask in it beliving it to be true and we're now in the middle of the thread and said user being corrected ostensibly.

So yeah no issue basically.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
From what I can gather for us LTTP the thread had a hyperbolic title (maybe the word stealing was involved?) which caught the attention of one of the biggest Nintendo haters on the site to bask in it beliving it to be true and we're now in the middle of the thread and said user being corrected ostensibly.

The original thread title said that Nintendo used a fan-made sprite in Smash.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if people complaining about Beyond good and evil 2 featuring "uncompensated spec work" are as mad about this too...

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's neat.
giphy.gif

I don't see the problem, it's their sprite that was on the deviantart post.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Smh.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenory8d9j.gif

the original title was "Nintendo/Bamco used someone else's sprites for a spirit in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate"

Ronnie

Alt-Account
Oct 31, 2018
It has been exactly two and a half days since this place was last OUTRAGED over something I suppose...

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Wow.

Smash really is a lazy port. /s

For real though this is like the definition of a non-issue. It's their sprite.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Title is extremely misleading. The only thing visible in Smash is Nintendo's own artwork, so I don't see an issue at all. Seems like typical gamer outrage for the sake of being outraged :shrug:

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So an artists from Smash Bros used google search to get an obscure characters sprite easy.

I think its obvious that they do such things. Its 2018, not 1998 where they would search hours in a dusty graphic archive.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about art culture (I'm an expert), but plagiarism and artistic imtegrity are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in hollywood where you can become successful by stealing ideas. If you screw someone over in the art world, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Smash Ultimate for the Switch, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and patch out Spirits mode or you can kiss your business goodbye.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I am the first to jump to the defense of pixel artists, our art work is often taken and used without any ramification to the person stealing it. (I'm looking at you bead spriters).

If Nintendo used the person's sprite, I'd hold their feet to the flame... but it's a tiny 4x12 chunk of the person's sprite with the entire Nintendo artist sprite in full view. It was obviously never meant to be seen, and was alpha'd out so that it was only the Nintendo sprite in game.

There is literally no problem with this. If you have a problem with this, you should also have a problem with the person on DeviantArt having a full Nintendo sprite in their uploaded image.

Jan 1, 2018
Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about art culture (I'm an expert), but plagiarism and artistic imtegrity are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in hollywood where you can become successful by stealing ideas. If you screw someone over in the art world, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Smash Ultimate for the Switch, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and patch out Spirits mode or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Lol I missed the sarcasm for the first paragraph

Ginosaurio

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
Wow, so you are telling me that they didn't even bother to make 3D models of spirits like they did with trophies and now they searched for the images to use for Spirits on Google?

Smash devs are really the hyperbole of laziness.

Giving my copy of the game back to my local store rn.

Also I'm being sarcastic.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
There'a always an absurd amount of internet rage whenever something like this happens, and I just don't understand where it comes from. It's not like they served up a hot DMCA to the artist or something while using it.

Let the artist use Google images instead of digging around in a GBA ROM when it's something they clearly have the rights to, FFS.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sincerely struggling to understand why anyone should care about this.