• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm in the wrong here for thinking this, but shouldn't the game cost relatively the same nobody should be paying more or less for a game everyone should pay the same amount. if your money is an issue isnt that more of a "our government sucks since our money is worthless"(how I felt more or less about seeing all those CAD posts when gaming devs started to sell games based on their dollar and thus saw a spike in costs last gen)

Like I dunno, fight for better minimal wage like everyone here in the us is trying to do(which I agree) A games cost should be 1=1 in all regions.

And my last point with people saving money, not everybody knows your living situation so you dont know that in this case that saving this much money might mean they can actually enjoy a game they might not otherwise due to financial restraints and damn do not pull the "if they cant afford x they shouldn't get y at the stupidly reduced cost"

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you mean well, but this post is horribly ignorant and misguided.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Of course it has. Most threads have people claiming that corporations are the big bad. There are plenty of those posts in this very thread.

Corporations being "bad" or more realistically participating in "bad" practices is not the same thing as being anti-capitalism. This forum always participates in capitalism and the closest we get to Capitalism is bad is "fuck EA" and "pay your taxes" which us like duh lol

Nothing on the gaming side would ever lead me to believe the majority here are anti capitalism as a dogma.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too many people to quote so let me try to say my points in a better way.
Everyone should enjoy games, it should ideally cost the same to all around the world. You cant fault people for trying to save money without knowing what situation they live in either so this does conflict with my first statement a tad.
I dont know other economical differences in other countries except what a quick google search would do for any currency = usd . I'd wish we would would also have a universal currency but that just wont happen due to a plethora of reasons I dont have the time to list for what I know.
I don't mean to offend anybody and if I have I greatly apologize.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Well that's not true. I use mine to purchase from the South Africa and Russian eShop regularly.

My answer was meant for the purpose of this thread.
It works like it would a card based on a UK account or having an EU iban.
So yes on Norwegian, SA/ SWE/RUS/etc stores.

Will not work on US eShop, MXN, ARG and so on. So there's zero incentive to grab a Revolut if all you want to do is region-hopping and you already own a UK/EU cc/dc.

It's useless for the purpose of this thread.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Too many people to quote so let me try to say my points in a better way.
Everyone should enjoy games, it should ideally cost the same to all around the world. You cant fault people for trying to save money without knowing what situation they live in either so this does conflict with my first statement a tad.
I dont know other economical differences in other countries except what a quick google search would do for any currency = usd . I'd wish we would would also have a universal currency but that just wont happen due to a plethora of reasons I dont have the time to list for what I know.
I don't mean to offend anybody and if I have I greatly apologize.

Even if we had a universal currency it wouldnt solve problems of inequality or lack of funds. All things cannot in the current global climate feasibly cost the same everywhere. It isn't possible.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is morally pretty scuzzy and I'm quite disappointed at the stance ERA moderation have taken
Exploits/wrong prices have been posted on here and on the old site, I'm guessing you arent aware of the old Walmart price error back on the old site where people got stuff for incredibly wrong/off prices/ Or more recently with amazon prime day where people on here got Cameras for about $98 which cost $500 and up easily in bulk amounts. Hell we had a thread on this site(i think or it was gaf) when Knack 2 came out that it was free in another country due to an error and guess what... people posted and got the game for free and sony never revoked access to that... or heck The Surge (with the season pass). and people in these forums do take advantage of those things.

Shit we make threads for whenever Wario64 has a price error listing and people swarm in for that shit.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
I think you're the one who is confused if you don't realize that this forum prides itself on being progressive, anti-capitalist and left-leaning.
I am doubling down on you being confused lol

Few things are as capitalistic as the video game industry and a forum full of enthusiasts eagerly awaiting the next product and salivating over it.

There is nothing wrong about it btw but I find really funny that a video game forum wouldn't be full of video game enthusiasts according to you.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exploits/wrong prices have been posted on here and on the old site, I'm guessing you arent aware of the old Walmart price error back on the old site where people got stuff for incredibly wrong/off prices/ Or more recently with amazon prime day where people on here got Cameras for about $98 which cost $500 and up easily in bulk amounts. Hell we had a thread on this site(i think or it was gaf) when Knack 2 came out that it was free in another country due to an error and guess what... people posted and got the game for free and sony never revoked access to that... or heck The Surge (with the season pass). and people in these forums do take advantage of those things.

Shit we make threads for whenever Wario64 has a price error listing and people swarm in for that shit.

This x1000

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

That's a very different scenario.

In this scenario, the indies are very nicely offering proper regional pricing for Argentina where the average wage doesn't have close to the purchasing power of for example the US.
If the upshot is that the indie has lost much more lucrative US sales because of the offer they did for Argentinan consumers, they may just decide not to offer the regional pricing now or in future games, which means that Argentinian consumers would have to pay far higher prices.

In your scenario, Walmart or Amazon, massive companies, are eating the losses and in many cases could cancel orders but chose to honor the misprices for good consumer relations.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Risk of Rain 2 and Katana Zero make this tempting but I don't know that I'd want to hassle with creating an Argentinian account, etc.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017

That is a price error that people in the US takes advantage of. It's the same currency. But even without the price error, you'll probably be able to buy those games at a sale or whatever. And if you can't then you're priorities should be elsewhere.

Here you, as someone from the US, are willingly taking advantage of a system made for Argentinians, so they can access games at a price according to their income, which is far lower than whatever you may receive in the US.
For many Argentinians, that regional pricing is the reason they can access those indie games, since the US price is excessive for them. Even a well off person can find the US pricing excessive, because our currencies are devaluated compared to the USD. Without regional pricing, they would simply not buy the games.

Indie developers know that, and adjust their prices accordingly for those markets. However, when they see shot like this, they'll simply decide to not do regional pricing anymore, meaning you, as an American, can still buy the games but an Argentinian can not.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Exploiting regional pricing like this is a bit of a gray area and while we're leaving the thread open for discussion for now, we've changed the title to sound less like an endorsement.

Also, as we stated earlier, this thread should not be used to advertise or solicit any transactions involving codes. The Buy / Sell / Trade thread is the only place transactions should happen.

Thank you.

Might as well flag something similar on the BST thread where we buy digital movie codes from physical purchases that the movie studio doesn't see yet the purchaser of the physical media makes money off of it instead.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
User Warned: Ignoring mod-post
[Mod Removed. Solicitation of goods after staff warning.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly over in the BST that stuff is fine, yet over here we are basically being accused of ruining the Argentinian video game economy.

You have many posts explaining the issue here, even in this thread. Instead all you do is act like the people who will probably get screwed thanks to your actions (and other similar members' actions) are horrible people. You disgust me.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Exactly over in the BST that stuff is fine, yet over here we are basically being accused of ruining the Argentinian video game economy.

But that is why it is slightly different.

Buying digital movie codes could lead to less and less codes being put in the box and also means possibly less revenue for movie companies.

Buying games from another region because it's cheap could lead to prices being bumped up so people from less fortunate countries can't buy games anymore and also there is a chance that region locking might come back.

To me, the second example has a greater affect on people less fortunate and is most likely why it's being clamped down on more. I don't frequent the BST thread so I don't know exactly what goes on in there but yes I do agree that there probably is a degree of hypocrisy going on.

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
Maybe I'm in the wrong here for thinking this, but shouldn't the game cost relatively the same nobody should be paying more or less for a game everyone should pay the same amount. if your money is an issue isnt that more of a "our government sucks since our money is worthless"(how I felt more or less about seeing all those CAD posts when gaming devs started to sell games based on their dollar and thus saw a spike in costs last gen)

Like I dunno, fight for better minimal wage like everyone here in the us is trying to do(which I agree) A games cost should be 1=1 in all regions.
Currently, a monthly salary of a person living with a minimum wage in Brazil is US$224. US$60 to these people is a lot more money than it is to you.

Kelegacy

Nov 12, 2017
Maine
I'm a consumer, so I have no problem using the best deals for myself first and foremost. I picked up Wargroove and Katana Zero. Have both on PC but haven't played them and to have both portable is worth the double dip. It was super easy and worked on my first try.

Deleted member 20471

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread is a mistake, to save a few bucks you'all are damaging the Argentinians Switch owners (amd, arguably, the devs of the games you're buying). Shame on you.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo doesn't even have an eShop in my country so I'm very thankful for things like these. Managed to get a cheap NSO subscription too!

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I am doubling down on you being confused lol

Few things are as capitalistic as the video game industry and a forum full of enthusiasts eagerly awaiting the next product and salivating over it.

There is nothing wrong about it btw but I find really funny that a video game forum wouldn't be full of video game enthusiasts according to you.

First thing I thought. With the fandom here toward consoles, corporations and industry employees, I'd hardly call era a bastion of anti-capitalism outside of a vocal minority. Not criticizing anyone particularly, just this statement.

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to grab cuphead and hotline Miami collection in 2 separate transactions, however when I tried to go for a third game of my friend Pedro my card suddenly would no longer work. I'm guessing they are limiting transactions now to cut down on people selling codes?

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Nintendo finally releases a totally region-free home console and stuff like this are going to make them regret that decision.

You might as well start tweeting #StartRegionLocking

But whatever. Indie devs deserve to be screwed over because they were willing to do something nice for less well-to-do people?

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
You mean that you're a consumer who has no problem using their privilege to get the best deals regardless of how it shits on Argentinian people.

This reminds me of when I had to point out in one of the past threads on people from fortunate nations abusing regional pricing that the people getting screwed over (In this case: Argentina) don't have the privilege of finding an eShop region that sells games cheaper than what they have available.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
So if everyone's doing it, I'm a sucker for not doing it, but I'm also not interested in screwing over others on account of my ability to internet for better deals, even if it's already been decided that they're going to have to bump up the prices in retaliation. Can't knock the hustle, but the hustle isn't always at someone else's expense, either.

dundeeyy

Sep 16, 2019
Indonesia
Can someone help me buying Wargroove, Celeste, Hollow Knight and Katana Zero? I will send the money through paypal and of course plus tips for you.

edit: just read the staff post, sorry noobs here.

Last edited:

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Now people are spamming these codes on Gameflip. It's been loaded with all of those, with like a 10$ discount compared to original.

Deleted member 34169

Nov 23, 2017
And the fucked up thing is, for you guys it's only a few bucks you could easily afford. When they change the pricing in Argentina most people there can't afford to buy these games anymore.
I really hope Nintendo just revokes the licenses from everyone who abuses this system, instead of changing the prices.
Hey, I tried to change the region on my Nintendo account today, but it's not possible anymore. The function is greyed out, so there is no way for me to choose another country. I also recently purchased vouchers and have one of them still unused. Do you guys know, if switching regions is blocked due to the unused voucher? Many thanks in advance!
Interesting. Why would you want to change regions on your Nintendo account? Hope it's because you have 2 countries you live in and not to exploit regional pricing.

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Why would you want to change regions on your Nintendo account? Hope it's because you have 2 countries you live in and not to exploit regional pricing.

I live in Germany and wanted to purchase the "less" censored European version of the first South Park game, that doesn't look like the mess they sell here (right image):

jy9aXok.jpg

Nice try, though.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Now people are spamming these codes on Gameflip. It's been loaded with all of those, with like a 10$ discount compared to original.

Agh, well this is just beyond disappointing. I'd rather enjoy one game bought with a clear conscience than take advantage of a deal regardless of the larger consequences. I have used code sites like that for steam before, way back, so this makes me reconsider doing things like that moving forward. Devs need the support more than ever in these times.

How does this issue look on the other consoles? I don't think they've had region locking for a while, no?

Oct 28, 2017
I apologize for bumping this thread, but I'm looking towards purchasing a couple of games from the Argentinian eshop. The games in question are:

1) Minecraft Dungeons (~$4.15)
2) Huntdown (~$4.15)

Since I don't have a credit card, I can't make the purchase myself. So I'm wondering if anyone is willing to help me out. I can pay you with a $10 Nintendo eshop card. Thanks!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I apologize for bumping this thread, but I'm looking towards purchasing a couple of games from the Argentinian eshop. The games in question are:

1) Minecraft Dungeons (~$4.15)
2) Huntdown (~$4.15)

Since I don't have a credit card, I can't make the purchase myself. So I'm wondering if anyone is willing to help me out. I can pay you with a $10 Nintendo eshop card. Thanks!
Per the staff posts, this kind of thing should really be handled in the B/S/T thread :)