• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Not working for me. If anyone could please help me out with either or both of Cuphead and Hotline Miami, I'd really appreciate it.

Title change and reminder

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Official Staff Communication
Exploiting regional pricing like this is a bit of a gray area and while we're leaving the thread open for discussion for now, we've changed the title to sound less like an endorsement.

Also, as we stated earlier, this thread should not be used to advertise or solicit any transactions involving codes. The Buy / Sell / Trade thread is the only place transactions should happen.

Thank you.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My regular debit card didn't want to work with it, but my per diem (ADP Visa) card worked without a hitch.

Made off with Celeste, Wargroove, Katana Zero and Risk of Rain 2.

Gold

Oct 27, 2017
So how much do developers get from all these sales?

This thread is just sad to read but whatever gotta get those cheap games somehow right?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
So how much do developers get from all these sales?

This thread is just sad to read but whatever gotta get those cheap games somehow right?

You say this like all the people in this thread buying would have purchased these games at full price otherwise. It's plain to see that they wouldn't have.

This really isn't a big deal.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do they get punished if they get caught after doing those things? If so, ever wondered why?

No, they don't. They're using loopholes, not doing anything illegal. For someone who seems so morally upset by people buying these games from the Argentina store, you seem to have no issue with countries exploiting far worse loopholes and the citizens of these countries.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
You say this like all the people in this thread buying would have purchased these games at full price otherwise. It's plain to see that they wouldn't have.

The problem isn't really what the developers are getting out of this. It's about the people in Argentina who cannot afford games at the same price as in richer country, and who take the risk of not being able to buy games anymore if their local prices disappear.

This thread reminds me of those white tourists going to my country on holidays with their expensive big cameras who try to bargain about literally half a dollar and still feel cheated because locals with 1/10th of their income pay the ride cheaper than them. Pathetic people.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I did the steps and i cant even access the store. the shit is telling me i need Nintendo switch online to access the store...

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
No, they don't. They're using loopholes, not doing anything illegal. For someone who seems so morally upset by people buying these games from the Argentina store, you seem to have no issue with countries exploiting far worse loopholes and the citizens of these countries.

You do realize that most of us think that is wrong too, right? Just because someone does something bad it doesn't give you an excuse to do something bad too.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I'm glad people are getting good deals on games but I fear this will open the door for Nintendo to bring back region locking on their next system.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017

You are right about the games available now.

But future releases that they would gladly pay $20? Yeah, they are going to check Argentina eshop first.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The problem isn't really what the developers are getting out of this. It's about the people in Argentina who cannot afford games at the same price as in richer country, and who take the risk of not being able to buy games anymore if their local prices disappear.

This thread reminds me of those white tourists going to my country on holidays with their expensive big cameras who try to bargain about literally half a dollar and still feel cheated because locals with 1/10th of their income pay the ride cheaper than them. Pathetic people.

That's literally the risk run when you implement regional pricing in a region free digital market. If the store owner wanted to snuff this out they would but as of now obviously Nintendo does not give a shit about this. Publishers are free to set the price of their goods however they want and the market is free to shop around for the best deal.

Everyone gets why regional pricing exists but no one has a duty to ensure prices stay low.

Just because you can afford something it doesn't mean you empty out your pockets and pay whatever the asking price is. That's dumb.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Why are you putting words into my mouth?

I'm upset because it's been proven time and time again that after people exploiting cheap regional pricing, the only future for that region is jacked up price.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I don't believe there's anything wrong with buying these games from the Argentina store.

So you are defending something which is also wrong? Have you not read the posts in here from people who are from Argentina? Just because one thing is more wrong than the other doesn't mean that they aren't both wrong.

You know they don't.they explore the gray area just like we're doing here.

So that makes this ok then? I thought this place was anti-capitalism, it seems not.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Right?? Yall think I was just about to spend $20 or whatever on risk of rain 2 before I saw this?

Obviously not. I havent purchased most of the games on that. These are mostly (I know not all) older games. They have exhausted their full price potential

You are right about the games available now.

But future releases that they would gladly pay $20? Yeah, they are going to check Argentina eshop first.

Which is ultinately fine. This isn't a new phenomina. The market will always contain a section of people who skip conventional means. Why do you think paypal doesnt work for this for example?

On this forum full of self-righteous people, that's pretty rich. It seems that the self righteousness stops at their wallet; as always, when it comes to northern countries.

You're literally the one being self righteous right now lol. You're acting like this is some special unique situation and you have unfounded perspective. "Oh noes, the selfish northerners!!!1!". Blah blah blah ai dont fucking care.

People are going to do this. It's built into the structure of the system.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's not that hard to understand, people: if you're not from Argentina and you buy from this store, there's a chance those prices will get jacked up, screwing every Argentinian in the process. There's precedent for this as well.

This thread was a mistake.

Georgeishon

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2018
It's not that hard to understand, people: if you're not from Argentina and you buy from this store, there's a chance those prices will get jacked up, screwing every Argentinian in the process. There's precedent for this as well.

This thread was a mistake.
I think its pretty obvious that they don't care. I see many people trying to justify it, maybe they feel a liitle bit of guilt? But the majority just don't give a shit about the consequences of this for fellow gamers from another country.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
It's ok,the consumers from that country are the ones getting fucked at best because i'm mr. cheapo.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Is this not one of the arguments for piracy?

"People who pirate wouldn't have bought this music/movie anyway."

If you're willing to whip out an international CC, make an account and buy codes from a retailer for games that have been out for years that can run on potato PCs, obviously these people dont want to pirate these games.

Obviously there are contextual differences between these situations. I dont see a point in a piracy discussion.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
I think its pretty obvious that they don't care. I see many people trying to justify it, maybe they feel a liitle bit of guilt? But the majority just don't give a shit about the consequences of this for fellow gamers from another country.
Yup. The one guy saying that they are ethically saving jet fuel was one of bonkers mental gymnastics I've seen.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
/shrug

What system, Nintendo's Switch? Why did they fix Mexico's exploit then? Why did they refund lots of transactions like these?

Why are the eshops region free? You think millions of people dont buy from regions outside their own? You think some examples of closing egregious issues means this isnt how the system works?

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone please buy wargroove and stardew valley from me. I will pay using paypal.
I live in India we don't even have a eshop lol.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Why are the eshops region free? You think millions of people dont buy from regions outside their own? You think some examples of closing egregious issues means this isnt how the system works?

Region free is for buying games that won't come to your region or for people in regions that have no Nintendo presence (such as the examples here of Venezuela and India).

It's not for some rich dude (comparatively speaking) to save a buck or 2.

Darío

Oct 27, 2017
These aren't "deals", these are regional prices meant for Argentinian customers. It took a very long time for Nintendo to provide something like this. I've been buying from the US eShop since launch because this option didn't exist before. Didn't take long until people tried exploiting it and screwing over Argentinian customers like me I guess, since those prices will definitely go up now.

dorjjj

Oct 31, 2017
To the people saying it's just about saving a buck or two, when did you last check what these games cost in your eshop?

Celeste goes for 19,99€ here and Katana Zero goes for 14,99€, so it's about saving a significant amount.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
These aren't "deals", these are regional prices meant for Argentinian customers. It took a very long time for Nintendo to provide something like this. I've been buying from the US eShop since launch because this option didn't exist before. Didn't take long until people tried exploiting it and screwing over Argentinian customers like me I guess, since those prices will definitely go up now.

Not a problem for them, as long as they can stuff their library with games they didn't really need in the first place, before jokingly complaining on restera about their "backlog".

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's astounding that this thread has been reported by multiple people, and all we got was a staff post saying "hey guysss the transaction thread is thataway!!"

Feel free to continue buying games all to save a few measly bucks, I guess.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
To the people saying it's just about saving a buck or two, when did you last check what these games cost in your eshop?

Celeste goes for 19,99€ here and Katana Zero goes for 14,99€, so it's about saving a significant amount.

Saying a "buck or two" is just a phrase, it's not meant literally... But if that makes you feel better that you are saving like 10-15 Euros while possibly screwing over people who need that saving far more than you, I guess go ahead.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Exploiting regional pricing like this is a bit of a gray area and while we're leaving the thread open for discussion for now, we've changed the title to sound less like an endorsement.

Also, as we stated earlier, this thread should not be used to advertise or solicit any transactions involving codes. The Buy / Sell / Trade thread is the only place transactions should happen.

Thank you.

This is kind of a disappointing stance to take on the issue.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
It's astounding that this thread has been reported by multiple people, and all we got was a staff post saying "hey guysss the transaction thread is thataway!!"

Feel free to continue buying games all to save a few measly bucks, I guess.

To me, it shows the limits of resetera's moral compass. Quick to call out abusers on twitter to earn themselves some internet points, but the moment their wallet is in the equation, it becomes just "part of the game". Now, I just hope that this phenomenon will remain marginal and that the prices in Argentina won't increase as a result.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm in the wrong here for thinking this, but shouldn't the game cost relatively the same nobody should be paying more or less for a game everyone should pay the same amount. if your money is an issue isnt that more of a "our government sucks since our money is worthless"(how I felt more or less about seeing all those CAD posts when gaming devs started to sell games based on their dollar and thus saw a spike in costs last gen)

Like I dunno, fight for better minimal wage like everyone here in the us is trying to do(which I agree) A games cost should be 1=1 in all regions.

And my last point with people saving money, not everybody knows your living situation so you dont know that in this case that saving this much money might mean they can actually enjoy a game they might not otherwise due to financial restraints and damn do not pull the "if they cant afford x they shouldn't get y at the stupidly reduced cost"

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Very true. It's all just mental gymnastics with a good dash whataboutism at this point.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Maybe I'm in the wrong here for thinking this, but shouldn't the game cost relatively the same nobody should be paying more or less for a game everyone should pay the same amount. if your money is an issue isnt that more of a "our government sucks since our money is worthless"(how I felt more or less about seeing all those CAD posts when gaming devs started to sell games based on their dollar and thus saw a spike in costs last gen)

Like I dunno, fight for better minimal wage like everyone here in the us is trying to do(which I agree) A games cost should be 1=1 in all regions.

And my last point with people saving money, not everybody knows your living situation so you dont know that in this case that saving this much money might mean they can actually enjoy a game they might not otherwise due to financial restraints and damn do not pull the "if they cant afford x they shouldn't get y at the stupidly reduced cost"

So basically, you're telling people from third world countries that they should think of improving their situation before thinking about playing videogames?
Wow....

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

This is not feasible based on how the global economy works.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru

I know that you probably have good intentions but you better be familiar with a country"s system and conjuncture before giving economic suggestions. Argentinas problem arent low wages, the problems are much more complicated and raising wages is part of the problem because of the inflation spiral. Any raise with no further work expansion or programs just leads to higher and higher inflation. (Not saying that austerity is the solution because fuck that).

Also, argentinians are fighting and fighting hard, to the point where the likely future president asked to people to calm it down. There is a fight going on and the Switch "sales" are just to give desperate people a slight moment of peace before having to continue facing such a horrific crisis.