• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up Risk of Rain 2 and Katana Zero with no issues.

Went back for other games and my transactions are failing now.

It's learning.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's learning.

I feel good and bad that my transactions went through. Glad it did since I now have the games, and bad that my bank has no issues with putting through random Argentina transactions.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Also: Check Argentinian Steam Store prices, you will go insane once you realize D2 Shadowkeep Deluxe is there for 12 bucks.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
This feels dirty to me. Jumping through hoops to buy and making up a fake address seems not to be playing the game in good faith.

Not gonna judge. Definitely not illegal. Definitely not piracy. But at minimum, it's morally ambiguous.

Enjoy your games! I think I'd rather pay a few extra bucks and support the devs by purchasing and their agreed upon price, rather than taking advantage of a strong dollar in a different company (that's had trouble wooing developers and releases in the past).

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just imagine that you wanted to fly to Argentina, do a currency exchange, and buy the games fair and square, but you're choosing to ethically conserve jet fuel

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yeah, just to give perspective, legally the minimum wage here in Argentina is 230 USD (today, if the dollar goes up the salary goes down), if they raise prices no one would buy a single game, which is why stores do special pricing here (Blizzard was the first one IIRC, Microsoft and Valve are great too). I get wanting to save a few bucks, buuuut... Grey area all around, I just hope that the prices aren't raised for us

Edit: average salary here is about 360 USD, at least in my profession

Last edited:

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I'm cheap as shit and love a good bargain, not gonna bother with this though as I know my NZ card wouldn't work with it even if I wanted too.

Does make me concerned though when things like this pop up because I worry Nintendo will get all Nintendo-like and change the region free life back to the dark days because of some lost dollars. >_<

Being region free is so important to me!

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
i just dont want to hurt argentinians, their president is already torpedoing the economy hard enough, they could use some Katana Zero to relax

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
just imagine that you wanted to fly to Argentina, do a currency exchange, and buy the games fair and square, but you're choosing to ethically conserve jet fuel

You do know that physical games in Mexico and South America aren't cheaper than what you can buy in the US right?

This analogy falls flat.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
welp i fucked up and brought a extra copy of cuphead, wargroove and katana zero.

If anyone want to buy the extra codes PM me.

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
UPDATE: Indeed, they are incorrect as ever. Ignore them.

This is my hypothesis:

Just so people understand how Nintendo is able to accept digital codes you purchase in the Argentine region, this is most likely caused by political reasons:

Due to the above event happening in mid-August, or last month, Argentine peso current weakened between August and September. Super-deflation will cause video game prices to plunge to really cheap prices, if we are to use another country's strong currency (USD) value to make purchases.

Hence, in USA, a game costing $15 USD will cost about $3 USD when converted, taking account of the inflation/deflation of the now weakened Argentine peso. What would amount to $88 USD normally, if using peso and taking into account the deflation, it will cost around $15 USD.

But, please correct me if my hypothesis is incorrect.

Last edited:

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is my hypothesis:

Just so people understand how Nintendo is able to accept digital codes you purchase in the Argentine region, this is most likely caused by political reasons:

Due to the above event happening in mid-August, or last month, Argentine peso current weakened between August and September. Super-deflation will cause video game prices to plunge to really cheap prices, if we are to use another country's strong currency (USD) value to make purchases.

Hence, in USA, a game costing $15 USD will cost about $3 USD when converted, taking account of the inflation/deflation of the now weakened Argentine peso. What would amount to $88 USD normally, if using peso and taking into account the deflation, it will cost around $15 USD.

Your hypothesis is indeed incorrect (for starters, that article's headline seems biased AF and it's basically citing the crap our current government tries to peddle as an excuse for the mess they've made here).

Some games cost less here compared to the US for example, because the developers/publishers understand that they can't ask people from a country where a teacher earns less than 500 dollars per month (and that's not the minimum wage, by the way) to pay the same as a place where they might earn 5x/10x that. That's how regional pricing works. Companies do the math and try to adjust the price of their games so people can actually afford them. That's also why it's pretty crappy to see people from places where they earn 10x what we earn exploiting it (that, plus the very real fear that the powers that be will just stop doing regional pricing and punish us instead of the a-holes who abuse it).

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
This is my hypothesis:

This is much older than just a few months, even your article mentions it.

The strengthening dollar has made it harder for countries with dollar denominated debt to pay it back, it is effectively more expensive for them.

This is being exacerbated by the fact that the current govt in Argentina has done jack shit to stop the hyper inflation the past four years, and was trying to introduce severe austerity measures, in a sense, they fucked up, and want to take it out on everyone else.

So people are voting for the other side of the pendulum, and that is fucking up things even more, even though the actual elections haven't happened yet. And the reason it is getting messier is because banks worry it will negatively affect global finances. When in fact there is currently no evidence.

So taking advantage of it is kind of scummy, its kind of a gray area, and honestly don't have it in me to chastise people.

If you have used the Mex Eshop and seen how that has gotten worse due to everyone else raiding it when prices were really low, it would only be a matter of time before Nintendo closes off Argentina's eshop

Edit -- See post above. It seems a mess.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that the digital/indie titles are much cheaper but the AAA Nintendo releases are $57 USD instead of $59.99 so barely lower in cost.

Fun fact: in the mexican eShop those Nintendo games are more expensive, 1599 pesos mexicanos, around almost 80 dollars

But the prices for indies and other publishers can be very good.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Your hypothesis is indeed incorrect (for starters, that article's headline seems biased AF and it's basically citing the crap our current government tries to peddle as an excuse for the mess they've made here).

Some games cost less here compared to the US for example, because the developers/publishers understand that they can't ask people from a country where a teacher earns less than 500 dollars per month (and that's not the minimum wage, by the way) to pay the same as a place where they might earn 5x/10x that. That's how regional pricing works. Companies do the math and try to adjust the price of their games so people can actually afford them. That's also why it's pretty crappy to see people from places where they earn 10x what we earn exploiting it (that, plus the very real fear that the powers that be will just stop doing regional pricing and punish us instead of the a-holes who abuse it).

This is much older than just a few months, even your article mentions it.

The strengthening dollar has made it harder for countries with dollar denominated debt to pay it back, it is effectively more expensive for them.

This is being exacerbated by the fact that the current govt in Argentina has done jack shit to stop the hyper inflation the past four years, and was trying to introduce severe austerity measures, in a sense, they fucked up, and want to take it out on everyone else.

So people are voting for the other side of the pendulum, and that is fucking up things even more, even though the actual elections haven't happened yet. And the reason it is getting messier is because banks worry it will negatively affect global finances. When in fact there is currently no evidence.

So taking advantage of it is kind of scummy, its kind of a gray area, and honestly don't have it in me to chastise people.

If you have used the Mex Eshop and seen how that has gotten worse due to everyone else raiding it when prices were really low, it would only be a matter of time before Nintendo closes off Argentina's eshop

Edit -- See post above. It seems a mess.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for all of the corrections. I should better cross out my post.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
Got Wargroove and Cuphead but thanks to a fellow Era member. I'm trying to get Katana Zero but the store won't accept my credit card, or even Revolut. If anyone is willing to sell a code I'll pay $5. Cheers

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
Was able to buy Katana Zero and Hotline Miami Collection as of 10 minutes ago, thanks OP.

FYI the don't accept Discover Card in case anyone was wondering, only Visa/Master Card/American Express(?)

Last edited:

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Receipts, please. That isn't why the SA store had prices jacked up. Titles that costed the same or more than on most eShops had the price jacked up. Most titles have. On average games cost now more on the SA eShop than on EU stores, if (what you said) was true they would have priced games at least the same and not higher.
Receipts for what? Nintendo still lets you hop around regions with your international CC, and instead of adding extra layer of authentication like everyone else, they just jack up the price. This also happened with MXN store and I don't blame people from Argentina if they're worried about a price hike.

Also: Check Argentinian Steam Store prices, you will go insane once you realize D2 Shadowkeep Deluxe is there for 12 bucks.
Same here in India. Gears 5 is about $18. I'm glad Steam has robust region locking, otherwise we'd be fucked too.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These are good deals but as someone from South Africa I will rather not be an asshole by making another financially struggling country's prices skyrocket to save quick buck. Thank fuck for steam region locking, we have the gears 5 price too.

Deleted member 38050

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Tried multiple cards and couldn't get it working today. I assume there's no other way to pay for stuff on the Argentina eShop? Annoying that it doesn't take Paypal :<

If anyone wants to help me out and get a few items for me I'd be willing to throw them a few bucks for their trouble.

voxpaine

Sep 16, 2019
can someone buy for me celeste, katana zero, hollow knight, wargroove, stardew valley and risk of rain 2? i will pay him with paypal . I will give a small tip too for the effort
Thank you in advance

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
User Warned: Hostility.
Hollow Knight is an incredibly polished 60 hours game which was priased for being sold at a really low price (15 bucks).
You have to be a fucking scumbag to buy specifically that one from the Argentina eshop, and I see many scumbags in this thread.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel good and bad that my transactions went through. Glad it did since I now have the games, and bad that my bank has no issues with putting through random Argentina transactions.
I bought two games just to see if it would go through and my bank called me almost immediately. I'm glad they didn't freeze my card or anything.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Hollow Knight is an incredibly polished 60 hours game which was priased for being sold at a really low price (15 bucks).
You have to be a fucking scumbag to buy specifically that one from the Argentina eshop, and I see many scumbags in this thread.

I'd refrain from using an epithet as strong as SCUMBAG for someone guilty of buying a digital goods on a store to save a few bucks, c'mon man.

I do agree that HK is a crazy deal already and I was ecstatic about getting it at launch for just 15€.

That being said, if some people haven't bought it yet despite being out for so long even when it was on sale for just €10 then it's safe to say they would have never grabbed it if not the ARG eShop's price. It's a gained sale for Team Cherry. Certainly nothing deserving people to be called scumbags.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'd refrain from using an epithet as strong as SCUMBAG for someone guilty of buying a digital goods on a store to save a few bucks, c'mon man.

I do agree that HK is a crazy deal already and I was ecstatic about getting it at launch for just 15€.

That being said, if some people haven't bought it yet despite being out for so long even when it was on sale for just €10 then it's safe to say they would have never grabbed it if not the ARG eShop's price. It's a gained sale for Team Cherry. Certainly nothing deserving people to be called scumbags.

I said what I said.
If they had such limited interest in the game, they probably won't finish it anyway as it's quite tough. But the direct result of their selfish actions will probably be that the regional prices are going to increase, depriving some people with a legitimate interest in the game to play it. This level of entitlement is just scummy, but not surprising from first world country citizens.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this technically piracy? Not trying to be a jerk, but this smells bad. This pricing is not for non-Argentinians...
This is not piracy, it's arbitrage. Not illegal but can be exploitative depending on how lopsided it becomes.

While it's in most cases a violation of an agreed upon TOS or EULA, most digital merchants, Nintendo likely included, are unlikely to enforce it as a direct user violation and will instead monitor for excessive arbitrage and restrict the access to such where it becomes a liability.

In basic terms they will prevent incoming payments from X territory to settle in Y territory where the price ratio is too extreme, simply happens too frequently, or violates terms of sale agreements between the merchant (Nintendo) and product-owner (Publishers in this case).

Not just because legitimate users are getting "one up on them", but because it also attracts organised fraud (with a capital F), which is entirely destructive to both Nintendo's and the Publishers' business. Fraud is in majority of cases the primary reason why a market receives a sudden raise in local pricing, not because the average Joe buys a game for cheap.

It's learning.

wsbceo

alt account
Banned
Apr 29, 2019
Companies are free to use the global economy but heaven forbid customers even think about it.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
This thread reminds me of the csgo skins and NA players saying thanks to argies for their currency devaluation.
What does steam do? Increases regional price.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon prime CC worked with no problems.
Redeeming codes on your main account and getting coins also no problems.
Thank OP and CAG!