• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Their statement
In early November, Nintendo identified a number of photographs taken from game play that revealed multiple new and unannounced Pokemon from Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield," Nintendo and The Pokemon company wrote in a joint statement.

These photographs had been posted online and Nintendo, together with The Pokemon Company, quickly identified the person responsible for these leaks, and took immediate action.

These Pokemon were leaked by a reviewer for the Portuguese website FNintendo, who had received an early copy of the game for review purposes. Both he and FNintendo failed to handle confidential material, resulting in a clear breach of the confidentiality agreement between Nintendo and the media outlet. As a result, Nintendo will no longer work with FNintendo.

Nintendo will always protect its intellectual property and brands. Leaks hurt not just Nintendo, but the thousands of employees who work hard to bring games to mar et, and the millions of fans around the world who look forward to news and surprises.

To surprise and delight players through new experiences is a shared passion for Nintendo and The Pokemon Company. We will pursue all avenues to preserve surprises for players of future Pokemon titles.

www.vg247.com

Nintendo cuts ties with publication for leaking Pokemon Sword & Shield information

Nintendo has located the source of the Pokemon Sword & Shield leak, and its response is likely to be super-effective.

FNintendo's statement

Aos nossos leitores,
No início de novembro de 2019, uma série de fotografias de um ecrã a exibir imagens de vários Pokémon na altura ainda não anunciados, dos jogos Pokémon Sword e Pokémon Shield, foram partilhadas online. Queremos aproveitar esta oportunidade para admitir abertamente aos nossos leitores que a FNintendo foi responsável pela disseminação online de algumas dessas fotos.
A Nintendo ofereceu-nos uma cópia do jogo para fins de análise, com diretrizes claras de embargo, com as quais concordámos. Essa cópia foi enviada para um dos nossos colaboradores, que partilhou indevidamente as fotografias referidas. Após a investigação, a FNintendo terminou o seu relacionamento com esse colaborador.
O nosso relacionamento com a Nintendo Portugal remonta a 11 anos, mas a nossa parte nesta partilha indevida é uma clara violação do acordo de confidencialidade entre nós e, como resultado, uma total quebra de confiança com a Nintendo.
Reconhecemos que é inadmissível violar as diretrizes de embargo e que não lidámos com os materiais para análise com o cuidado devido. Respeitamos plenamente a decisão da Nintendo de cancelar o contrato de confidencialidade entre as nossas empresas em resultado dessa quebra de confiança e aceitamos que não receberemos mais produtos da Nintendo nem seremos convidados a participar nos seus eventos.
Queremos pedir desculpas à Nintendo e à The Pokémon Company, bem como aos nossos leitores, por dececioná-los.
FNintendo
To our readers,
At the beginning of November, a series of off-screen photographs leaked multiple new and unannounced Pokémon from Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield. We want to take this opportunity to openly admit to our readers that FNintendo was responsible for leaking some of these photos.
Nintendo offered us a copy of the game for review purposes, with clear embargo guidelines, to which we agreed. This copy was then sent to one of our reviewers, who leaked the information. Following the investigation, FNintendo severed its relationship with this reviewer.
Our relationship with Nintendo Portugal dates back 11 years, but our part in this leak is a clear breach of the confidentiality agreement between us, and, as a result, a total breach of trust with Nintendo.
We recognise it is impermissible to break embargo guidelines and we failed to handle the review materials with sufficient care. We fully respect Nintendo's decision to cancel the confidentiality agreement between our companies as a result of this breach of trust, and accept that we will no longer receive products from Nintendo, nor will we be invited to attend their events.
We want to apologise to Nintendo and The Pokémon Company, and to our readers for letting them down.
FNintendo

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I feel sorry for FNintendo's editorial management, but it makes total sense why Nintendo and TPC did this. As a reviewer, one should know better than to leak such pictures. It's not even promotion material that was released too early; it's the fucking game itself.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I just dont get it.
Why ever breach a confidentiality agreement.
It hurts your employer, and kills your career.
Wonder if the reviewer is gonna do a Filip and become part of the Pokemon YT shitstain community that trives upon negativity and anger.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Shame the website needs to be punished for the actions of one reviewer.

To play devil's advocate, it makes sense. Nintendo gave FNintendo the code and expected them to properly vet who they then gave the code to.

This is *exactly* why Nintendo are so protective over who they send early copies of games. I can't exactly blame them.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
To play devil's advocate, it makes sense. Nintendo gave FNintendo the code and expected them to properly vet who they then gave the code to.

This is *exactly* why Nintendo are so protective over who they send early copies of games. I can't exactly blame them.
Unfortunately it's a repeat thing with Pokémon. Happened with XY, happened with Sun & Moon.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is genuinely messed up, this is what people always claim Disney would do to people. And this isn't the first time Nintendo has outright attacked people for comparatively minor things.

And yes, I understand that it's something they "have" to do, but the naming and shaming portion? Dragging people in the open like this in addition to legal steps? That's messed the hell up.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Worst thing is that this wont just hurt FNintendo, but basically all but the biggest outlets.
Next Pokemon Launch they will be even more cautious to give out codes to any site besides the big International ones.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Unfortunately it's a repeat thing with Pokémon. Happened with XY, happened with Sun & Moon.

There will *always* be Pokemon leaks. It's the most popular media franchise in the world, so of course things will get out.

Still in the company's best interest to make an example out of folks that they can verify broke an agreement.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

No I can't blame them either and I get it, but still. Must be a shitty feeling for the other people working hard on the website.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Fuck these people.
sorry for the bad word but only god knows how fucking hard it is to launch something. And someone just spoils everything to call attention. That's really really shameful.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

yeah pretty much they gave it to his person so the blame is on them, tough stuff but they digged there own graves on this one

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Seems pretty fair to me. Nintendo isn't going to trust a publication that broke NDA and leaked info.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
929-SjjzJ0Ko3AXjvSfIqjecsBokQF9IL2pB1_s17X8.gif

I'm not entirely sure how you'd vet staff in such a way to prevent it

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They handled it well. Embargos are there for a reason. No point in putting trust in outlets that gonna shit on that relation.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Fuck these people.
sorry for the bad word but only god knows how fucking hard it is to launch something. And someone just spoils everything to call attention. That's really really shameful.
Especially as, this cycle, they were meticulously being careful with what they reveal so players would have surprises after receiving feedback that they revealed too much with Sun & Moon

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe, but they had a relationship with Nintendo for over 11 years so they've clearly been able to properly vet their reviewers for a long time. Rogue employees are sometimes hard to identify and while the publication should obviously take responsibility (The fact that they admit it's their fault first before anything else says a lot), it's still a shitty situation they found themselves in over 1 individual.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
Was that the one who was getting into a scrap with another leaker on discord/twitter because they wanted to take credit?

hold that L son and ask yourself how many people that shared leaks with give a shit about how you ended your own career.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
While SWSH sold 16 million and are the fastest selling switch games ever I can't help but feel like TPC and Gamefreak were expecting it to sell a bit more. I feel like the leaks might've dampened hype and negatively affected sales even if the damage was tiny in the grand scheme of things.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Shame that a publication that has had a relationship with Nintendo for over a decade lost their access, but it's understandable. The statement they put is very good. Comes clean, makes no excuses, accepts the punishment, and apologizes.
While SWSH sold 16 million and are the fastest selling switch games ever I can't help but feel like TPC and Gamefreak were expecting it to sell a bit more. I feel like the leaks might've dampened hype and negatively affected sales even if the damage was tiny in the grand scheme of things.
Lol.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I see how this sucks for that website, even though they course corrected, but nothing here sounds unfair.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo really has zero tolerance. The website might as well announce they are closing or rebranding at this point. One person messed up everything for them.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

leaks didn't damp anything lol

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018

This would be great but... I doubt it.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Wait, this what he is doing nowadays?
Last i saw he was on YT again, doing the typical "i did nothing wrong" spiel YT people do when they fuck up.
I managed to remove him completely from my feed, so im not exactly up to date though.
Good to see the conspiracy is healthy and alive.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This is genuinely messed up, this is what people always claim Disney would do to people. And this isn't the first time Nintendo has outright attacked people for comparatively minor things.

And yes, I understand that it's something they "have" to do, but the naming and shaming portion? Dragging people in the open like this in addition to legal steps? That's messed the hell up.
This is such a weird take. Why would they keep the name of the of the publication serious ? It's not like they published the name of the reviewer.

You are worrying about the wrong stuff here. Of course your reputation takes a hit if you are responsible for leaking information of one of the biggest releases of the year.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I'm not entirely sure how you'd vet staff in such a way to prevent it

This is just part of being an editor tbh. It's different if you're a site that's paying with contracts and stuff, but even if you're a hobbyist site (as based on the traffic I guess this one is), you maybe hold back the bigger games with the higher risk for the people who've contributed lots who you as editor/owner have a standing relationship with. It's about trust, basically.

FNintendo is lucky, really, as there are other publishers with huge cash indemnities in their legal embargo agreements that could bankrupt the owner of any hobbyist site that broke embargo on a whim. So to get away with apologizing and being publicly spanked is pretty good going. Basically: these leaks are never worth it.

I also think - it's important to be clear about what this is about. This is somebody with early review code leaking from that code, which was provided by Nintendo. This isn't a company punishing an investigative leak, or a mistaken 'oops, pressed publish a week early!'. I can say from experience that mistakes are forgiven and investigative leaks, while frustrating to PR/marketing, are generally forgiven (though they might hunt your source, naturally). But this was a malicious, deliberate leak.

Last edited:

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

Its the right thing to do.
I like FNintendo, but any Studio would be happy to know the outlet they are sending codes to have a history of breaching contract.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Last i saw he was on YT again, doing the typical "i did nothing wrong" spiel YT people do when they fuck up.
I managed to remove him completely from my feed, so im not exactly up to date though.

Good to see the conspiracy is healthy and alive.
Lol it's not a conspiracy when TPC is actively searching for leakers and going to the lengths of getting court subpoenas for discord and 4chan. They wouldn't be this pissed about the leaks if they didn't think sales weren't affected in some way.

But they did ruin the experience for many, especially as people were just tweeting them and sharing them with no due care or dilligence.
Exactly, Twitter YouTube and reddit were flooded with leaks for weeks. I had to log off everything lol

Titik

Oct 25, 2017

Huh why? Their game, their rules. It's not like Nintendo is withholding life-saving treatment here.

You play with fire, don't be surprised if you get burned.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Reviewing games is a JOB.

If you break a non disclosure agreement with a client, you are usually fired and it can have serious legal consequences.

The guy choose to have his "leaker" fame moment because he thought he couldn't be traced - he took a bet and lost.

It's sad for the website if they weren't complicit - because they didn't profit from the "anonymous" leak, and now they are punished for it.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Lol it's not a conspiracy when TPC is actively searching for leakers and going to the lengths of getting court subpoenas for discord and 4chan. They wouldn't be this pissed about the leaks if they didn't think they affected sales in some way.
Its a conspiracy that sales were affected by Leaks.

They are pissed about the leaks because someone broke a contract with them.
Knowing which of your contacts might breach contract with you is infinitively more valuable than some imaginary lost sales.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018

That surely is a take.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
But they did ruin the experience for many, especially as people were just tweeting them and sharing them with no due care or dilligence.
Some browsers even have the feature now where they show headlines based on what you searcher for and read in the past. So sometimes things just get leaked to me even without me even clicking anything just because google knows I like and read about Pokemon in the past.