• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Got mine day one (one of the two units The Wiz got in) and loved Mario but was meh on Pilot Wings. Got all of the below as things came out and really only remember being disappointed with MK Trilogy and Tetrisphere. Hexen wasn't great either (never played it before) but the multiplayer was fun enough.

Super Mario 64
Pilotwings64
Wave Race 64
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey
Killer Instinct Gold
Shadows of the Empire
Cruis'n USA
NBA Hangtime
Mario Kart 64
Turok Dinosaur Hunter
Blast Corps
Doom 64
Hexen
Star Fox 64
Tetrisphere
Goldeneye 007

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Wave Race 64
Star Fox 64
Somewhat surprisingly, this was my entire haul the first year. I'd already played SM64 on the import N64 I had briefly, so didn't play the US version in its entirety until like 2011 on Wii VC! I didn't like the way Mario Kart or Goldeneye looked, so I skipped those too. It was a strange year for me. The N64 is the only console I've sold and rebought twice due to software droughts. I still have the last one I bought though (smoke gray version w/ RAM expansion).

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure when we got the 64, if it was launch year or later.

But the first game we got was Mario 64 and that lasted me a good long time. We got Starfox 64 sometime later and I played that game every day after school for weeks.

Amazing system, amazing time.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Played Goldeneye pretty much non stop. 4 player local multiplayer. Incredible game.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Because there were so few games, I made an effort to play every single game that came out on the N64 as they were released. Once the pace of games picked up I had to abandon that plan, lol. But, I played every one of these.

Mario 64, Pilotwings, and Wave Race 64 all ruled. My brother and I had a lot of fun playing Wayyyyne Gretzky's 3D Hockey. NBA Hangtime is way underrated, and is far better than the 16 bit Jam games imo. KI Gold was fun. I enjoyed Shadows of the Empire but it's janky and I don't think I could ever go back to it. Turok and Doom 64 both rule, I can't remember much about Hexen 64, but it's something I'd like to go back to someday. Star Fox 64 was cool - and the first imported game I ever played. This video store in town had this & Mischief Makers with the security tabs Dremeled out so I played those both quite early. Tetrisphere & Goldeneye came out on the same day. I'd been planning on buying Tetrisphere forever, so I bought it. Goldeneye got amazing reviews so I was at the video store waiting for them to open it & make it available for rental. I crashed my bike on the way home and still have lingering knee issues from the crash (my leg went through the frame, and I fell with all of my weight onto the bike frame, which pressed against the back of my knee, which slammed into the concrete and ruptured one of my bursa sacs).

Blast Corps is the best game on the N64, and the best game of that entire generation. It's my second favorite game of all time. It's basically perfect. It was also the first game I really followed development of, back when all I could do on the computer was look at N64.com in the school library. I was so thrilled to finally get it... only to bounce off it a bit. I picked it back up that summer, and I played it non-stop once it clicked.

Oct 27, 2017
I never owned an N64 and I get the complaints from the time about the software droubts. But honestly whenever I've looked at picking up an N64 since, I think half the games I'd want to play on it are from that list. Retrospectively, the quality was there.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
After Goldeneye hit my house became video game central for my gaming buds so it was a good year lol

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
As an excited teenager, it was pretty bad. We got Mario 64 and Pilotwings, then there was like nothing until 1997. Then in 1997, we got Mario Kart 64, Starfox, and Blast Corps for the first half of the year. Everything else I thought was okay at best. Sold my N64 for a PlayStation in Sept 97 when FF7 came out and was so happy I did that.

As an adult now who plays 2-3 games a year, N64 would have been perfect. But not for me in 1997 jealous of my friends with PlayStation

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I had a lot of the games you listed. I was in my 3rd year in college and it was THE multiplayer system. What a marvelous time we all had.

And God Damn Mario Kart 64/Goldeneye were played to DEATH. With the PS1 we were fat fucking gaming pigs and we loved it, we were lucky, and we knew it.

Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Killer Instinct Gold
Shadows of the Empire
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
Tetrisphere
Goldeneye 007
MRC: Multiracing Championship

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
It felt like Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 were the only games available for the majority of that first year.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I mostly played the multiplayer games with my friends but went back to my SNES for single player games, as there were tons of late releases on that that I couldn't afford on release but we're getting heavy discounts once the N64 was out.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Oh my, funny you say that. War Gods was one of the games I had rented. Got home, started playing, immediately realized I had made a mistake. My Mom even took me back to Blockbuster to try and exchange it and they wouldn't let me. Had to live with that shame for three days lol. What a waste of a game. I truly feel for any kid that got that game as a gift.
As Midway's first 3d fighting game War Gods was pretty much a beta test for Mortal Kombat 4.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my, funny you say that. War Gods was one of the games I had rented. Got home, started playing, immediately realized I had made a mistake. My Mom even took me back to Blockbuster to try and exchange it and they wouldn't let me. Had to live with that shame for three days lol. What a waste of a game. I truly feel for any kid that got that game as a gift.
Sad thing is, we played the fuck out of that game anyway lmao. Made fun of it the entire time, but we still played it. Don't think I trash talked any game as much as War Gods.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it on release day in Ireland and had a whopping three games to choose from.

Got all 120 stars in Super Mario 64 then I blew through Shadows of the Empire pretty quickly. My N64 sat gathering dust for a couple months after that

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have one then, but man was I pining over so many of those early titles.

Mario 64 and Wave Race blew me away, but I was also so jealous of a friend that had Doom 64. The idea of a whole new Doom game with new sprites, weapons and a dark atmosphere only for the N64 made the console a must buy (except I ended up getting a PS1 a year later).

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I had ONE game on the N64 from 1998 till 2001.

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

At the time it was all I needed. Every other game felt sub-par. (on consoles, on PC i was discovering full RPGs and RTS)

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
From that line up, bought:

Super Mario 64 (had a copy of this at my mom's and my dad's)
Wave Race 64
Shadows of the Empire
Mario Kart 64
Starfox 64
Goldeneye 007
Cruisin' USA (this one was actually a gift for my sister if I remember correctly)
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (bought this at my dad's)

Rented Turok.
Really wanted Killer Instinct Gold since I loved KI2 in the arcades. I used to dream about buying my own KI2 machine for whatever reason. :P

I really loved the N64's library, where it hurt was my parents were divorced so I would have systems at both places. Having the 16-bit systems at both houses worked out due to the number of games available for both, but there wasn't really enough games for the N64 to warrant having it at both places. I also had a Saturn at my dad's house, and I think I ended up trading that + the N64 for a PlayStation. I only saw my dad every other weekend so during the peaks of the N64 drought I really wanted to bring the PlayStation to my mom's place so I would have more games to play.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, wow. If you'd asked me I'd have said it had a really slow first year but seeing the games listed like that it was pretty great. Damn, good on ya, N64.

At launch I got Mario and Pilotwings and while I enjoyed both quite well (though Pilotwings didn't quite live up to the first for me) the wait for other games felt so long back then. The wait for Shadows was particularly excruciating for me.

For the remainder of the year I got:
Wave Race 64
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Killer Instinct Gold
Shadows of the Empire
Cruis'n USA
Mario Kart 64
Turok Dinosaur Hunter
Blast Corps
Doom 64
Star Fox 64
Goldeneye 007

I barely played MK Trilogy since I also had the far superior PS1 version. Wave Race remains an absolute classic to this day. Cruisn' and KI were okay but never kept my attention for very long, despite having played the shit out of the SNES KI port. Turok was the same, though I appreciate it more nowadays. I think I just didn't have the patience for the level design back then.

I did quite like Shadows but never outright loved it. Certain levels were great but other I never wanted to play again. Kart was good but I find it to be the second worst in the series and it was a big step down from the original. Goldeneye I loved back then but do agree with those that think the controls have not aged well. The rest of the game is fine to me.

Doom and Blast Corpse are weird ones for me. I got them the day I took my SATs and found out later that night a friend who hadn't shown up for them was killed in a car crash on his way that morning. So while I can appreciate both games there will always be that association to a pretty bad day for me that affects my thoughts on them.

Oct 27, 2017
N64 will always be special for me. I was working ship/receive at a Media Play store when it launched, and my manager and I hooked up the demo station in the warehouse a week or so before it went out on the floor. My co-workers and I spent many hours playing Mario 64 on the clock! An amazing game, and I knew I had to own it.

But my GF (now wife) and I were planning to move across the country, so I did not snag one of the 6(?!) launch consoles allocated to our store.

The following Xmas, after about 5 months in a new, strange state, working lousy jobs and going home to a shitty apartment with no furniture, my GF (now wife) surprised me with an N64, Mario and Shadows of the Empire. We sat on the floor playing Mario 64 all night Xmas eve and all was right with the world.

I had no idea the first year was so stacked. So many nights of 4-player Goldeneye, Starfox, and later, Mario Golf and Party(?!)

I can't be the only one anxiously awaiting the release of Hybrid Heaven on the NSO Expansion Pak.
Good lord this is a nice story for the two of you. Sounds like good life long memories. Thanks for sharing

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
As an added thought, a hot take what have you - the Series X/S and PS5 would have loved to have had a 1st year line-up as to what the N64 provided.

OP
OP
SkyMasterson

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
N64 will always be special for me. I was working ship/receive at a Media Play store when it launched, and my manager and I hooked up the demo station in the warehouse a week or so before it went out on the floor. My co-workers and I spent many hours playing Mario 64 on the clock! An amazing game, and I knew I had to own it.

But my GF (now wife) and I were planning to move across the country, so I did not snag one of the 6(?!) launch consoles allocated to our store.

The following Xmas, after about 5 months in a new, strange state, working lousy jobs and going home to a shitty apartment with no furniture, my GF (now wife) surprised me with an N64, Mario and Shadows of the Empire. We sat on the floor playing Mario 64 all night Xmas eve and all was right with the world.

I had no idea the first year was so stacked. So many nights of 4-player Goldeneye, Starfox, and later, Mario Golf and Party(?!)

I can't be the only one anxiously awaiting the release of Hybrid Heaven on the NSO Expansion Pak.
That's an awesome story, thanks for sharing!

Oh man, I was eagerly awaiting Hybrid Heaven. Though, by the time it released, I had moved it to a rental on my list, since I was saving up for Resident Evil 2. Fun fact; Shadow Man, Hybrid Heaven and Gauntlet Legends all released on the same day(nine games came out that day for N64) and Duke Nukem Zero Hour came out a day later!
As Midway's first 3d fighting game War Gods was pretty much a beta test for Mortal Kombat 4.
Ha true. At least the Mortal Kombat 4 port was pretty solid.

Sad thing is, we played the fuck out of that game anyway lmao. Made fun of it the entire time, but we still played it. Don't think I trash talked any game as much as War Gods.
Yea, I played it so I didn't feel like I had wasted a rental lol.

Oh, wow. If you'd asked me I'd have said it had a really slow first year but seeing the games listed like that it was pretty great. Damn, good on ya, N64.

At launch I got Mario and Pilotwings and while I enjoyed both quite well (though Pilotwings didn't quite live up to the first for me) the wait for other games felt so long back then. The wait for Shadows was particularly excruciating for me.

For the remainder of the year I got:
Wave Race 64
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Killer Instinct Gold
Shadows of the Empire
Cruis'n USA
Mario Kart 64
Turok Dinosaur Hunter
Blast Corps
Doom 64
Star Fox 64
Goldeneye 007

I barely played MK Trilogy since I also had the far superior PS1 version. Wave Race remains an absolute classic to this day. Cruisn' and KI were okay but never kept my attention for very long, despite having played the shit out of the SNES KI port. Turok was the same, though I appreciate it more nowadays. I think I just didn't have the patience for the level design back then.

I did quite like Shadows but never outright loved it. Certain levels were great but other I never wanted to play again. Kart was good but I find it to be the second worst in the series and it was a big step down from the original. Goldeneye I loved back then but do agree with those that think the controls have not aged well. The rest of the game is fine to me.

Doom and Blast Corpse are weird ones for me. I got them the day I took my SATs and found out later that night a friend who hadn't shown up for them was killed in a car crash on his way that morning. So while I can appreciate both games there will always be that association to a pretty bad day for me that affects my thoughts on them.
That's awful. Sorry to hear that.
As an added thought, a hot take what have you - the Series X/S and PS5 would have loved to have had a 1st year line-up as to what the N64 provided.
Dude, right? Hell, same with the Xbox One and PS4's first year. I ended up playing some 360/PS3 games in between the newer releases. It was so dry that Shadow of Mordor won Game of the Year(I did have fun with that game) ha.

Bulk_Rate

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Memory is a funny thing - I didn't remember how long it was after launch before Goldeneye was released.

I got my N64 launch day/week with Mario 64. Over the next several months, I picked up Fogrock (Turok) and Wave Race 64 and played the shit out of those three. May have rented Pilotwings. That was my year one. It felt "drought-y" to me at the time for sure.

Was still playing a lot of PS1 which kept me rolling in new titles.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Anemic by number but there is a fair amount of quality in there. I had 8 of those

Super Mario 64
WaveRace
Shadows of the Empire
KI Gold
Mario Kart 64
Blast Corps
Goldeneye 007
Star Fox 64

And I'd say over half of those hold up pretty damn well!

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64
Cruis'n USA
NBA Hangtime
Mario Kart 64
Turok Dinosaur Hunter
Blast Corps
Star Fox 64
Goldeneye 007

this is what I owned and it was damn fucking good.

also shoutouts wcw vs nwo world tour which missed the cut-off by a month coming out in nov 97, but i put a shit ton of time into that game before revenge/wrestlemania 2000/no mercy in subsequent years.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I got my N64 in January of 1997, and only had Super Mario 64. We rented everything else, but we got the full 120 Star file done on Mario 64. I don't even remember what the second N64 game I owned was.

What an incredible first year for the system. It really peaked there, though.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I got my N64 in January of 1997, and only had Super Mario 64. We rented everything else, but we got the full 120 Star file done on Mario 64. I don't even remember what the second N64 game I owned was.

What an incredible first year for the system. It really peaked there, though.
I played the Toys R Us kiosk like crazy and dove into Super Mario 64 for months after release. It was insane. In the days of weekend-rentals it wasn't necessary to own every game and most kids I knew only had a few awesome titles on each console so we all just trekked over to each other's houses to check out the new thing.

As an owner of both N64 and eventually PS1 I never once felt that the N64 library was lacking. The lineup for 96-97 was incredible and and it only got better.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think we had a 64 in the first year, but I believe my family owned these at some point:

Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64
Killer Instinct Gold
Shadows of the Empire
Cruis'n USA
Mario Kart 64
Turok Dinosaur Hunter
Star Fox 64
Goldeneye 007

Each game was awesome.

T.I (uh oh)

Oct 29, 2017
I was 13 when the N64 released, and I got one in it's first week in Australia, and picked up Mario 64 at the same time.
I had $150 in savings, and borrowed the remaining $350 from my parents - which I had to pay back using my pocket money ($10 a week), and money earned from things like mowing neighbours lawns etc. This took me most of the year to do.

A few weeks later, Nintendo dropped the RPP by $100 - and decided to reimburse anyone who paid full price with a game. Killer Instinct had just come out, and I was hoping that would be the free game - but alas they sent Pilotwings. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as Pilotwings 64 is a masterpiece that I got perfect scores across the board.

Pretty sure I got Turok for my birthday that year too.

I later picked up Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey and Tetrisphere - although not in the first year.
Among my friends and via rental I also played my share of Wave Race, MK Trilogy, Shadows, Mario Kart, Blast Corps, Star Fox, ISS and of course Goldeneye.

N64 was a great console IMO, and struck a really good balance between single player games with great replayability, and excellent multiplayer games. Some of my favorite memories from that time involve 4 player games.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I had
Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64
Cruis'n USA
Mario Kart 64
Goldeneye 007

I rented Turok, Tetrisphere, and Star Fox but didn't end up buying them until later.

but the games i had were more than enough to keep me busy

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario 64
Pilotwings64
Wave Race 64
Shadows of the Empire
Cruis'n USA
NBA Hangtime
Mario Kart 64
Turok Dinosaur Hunter
Star Fox 64
International Superstar Soccer 64
Goldeneye 007

What i had

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Owned:

Super Mario 64
Killer Instinct Gold
Cruis'n USA
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64

Rented every other game on that list one or more times. I thought the n64 had more games than that it's first year but i do remember the drought lasting 6-8ish months from launch.

Nov 8, 2017
Ah, for the days when a console would get 3 or 4 genre defining classics in it's first year and that was considered a bit dry compared to the competition.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I was lucky enough to get an N64 on launch day in the U.S. Like many others have said, I wouldn't have guessed all those games came out in the system's first year, but I was a teenager back then and time flowed MUCH more slowly. I owned the following in the first year:

Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64
Killer Instinct Gold
Shadows of the Empire
Turok Dinosaur Hunter
Star Fox 64
Goldeneye 007

REALLY hoping Wave Race 64 comes to Switch. Would love to play that again at higher res and with improved/stable framerate.

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
I was quite small, but Mario 64 is actually the only thing from that list I distinctly remember owning. I remember renting others, though, like Pilotwings, Mario Kart, Turok, and StarFox.

Oct 28, 2017
Got the N64 at launch and I played Mario 64 into the ground those first few months. After that bought Shadows of the empire, Mario kart 64, Star Fox 64, and Goldeneye for the first year. In retrospect there weren't a ton of games but the games we got were so good I never felt without.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Got mine on launch day with Mario 64, my dad surprised me with it after I came home from school. We got Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Shadows of the Empire, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Goldeneye, and Doom 64 the first year, and rented everything else (particularly Wave Race 64, Blast Corps, and Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey for my birthday that year).

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
That's funny, I always wanted to rent it cause I thought the box art was cool but never did for whatever reason.

Myself I didn't get my N64 until Christmas 98 - but it came with Goldeneye, Rogue Squadron and Banjo-Kazooie so I think it worked out.

Ended up only ever borrowing some of the year one games. Truly was a hell of a time to grow up - games were expensive and it was fun to swap with friends at school for a weekend.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
First year was absolute trash aside from Super Mario 64, Pilotwings64, and Wave Race 64. Didn't buy anything until San Francisco Rush came out.

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
Didn't get one until December 1998, but that meant that GoldenEye, Banjo-Kazooie and Ocarina of Time were all on offer.

The golden age. I never minded that the Nintendo 64 had a tiny library, given how stratospherically beyond the competition its top 10% were.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
I didn't have an N64 until like 98 or 99, but I remember GoldenEye being one of the first games my mom bought for me. Inside the box was a shrink-wrapped cassette tape covered in dirt. Imagine me crying my eyes out. It was like receiving coal on Christmas for being on Santa's naughty list.

Just wanted to share this fond memory that this thread brought up.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried really hard to fool myself into thinking Automobili Lamborghini was actually a good game.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
First year i bought pretty much everything as it came out, the drought was real in those first years.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I didn't get an N64 until after Zelda: Ocarina of Time came out. Then and now, I basically never get consoles upon release.

Anyway, I own two of those games on cartridge: Super Mario 64 and GoldenEye. I later purchased Star Fox 64 for the Virtual Console. While I didn't (and still don't) own physical copies of them, I played a lot of both Star Fox 64 and Mario Kart 64 back in the N64's heyday.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I got an N64 early as the guy at EBGames broke the street date for me and another guy at the store. I got in that first year Super Mario 64, Pilot Wings, Turok, Mario Kart 64, and Star Fox 64. Absolutely loved the machine though it caused fighting between my recently divorced parents, my mom was upset that my dad got single player games... when the console had no multiplayer games at launch.
So basically Nintendo caused your parents divorce

Red UFO

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of volume and overall quality it's pretty poor but one of those games is Super fuckin Mario fuckin 64 so…….

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
My brother got it for us for christmas. We had ISS 64, mario kart and I got lylat wars later. We also had a defective memory card