• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
You got to love it when the emulation is so terrible that a boss's entire gimmick doesn't work.

Wow...

SzYHt2c.gif

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I don't notice the input lag stuff. I was even looking for it and it felt fine. As someone that's only ever played the PAL versions of these games, I'm probably just used to a compromised experience lol. Now, those graphical glitches/missing effects on the other hand, that is dire. Hopefully the emulation improves as the they put out more games, because they better not do my boy drake lake like that.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
i'm slowly running out of excuses for my brain. i want to be excited about this. I've wanted n64 on switch or an n64 classic for years. This is so close... it just feels so disrespectful that they didn't put the effort in to make it really shine :(

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Yeah no rewind feature. I'm betting Nintendo will add that later. Don't recall the SNES and NES all having rewind feature at launch
For what I understand, in order for Rewind to work, the emulator has to be constantly generating and deleting save states. Since this requires a lot of memory usage it's very hard to implement on N64. Most community based N64 emulators don't support it either (and the ones that do apparently crash a lot).

Anyone with better knowledge of the matter feel free to correct me or elaborate on what I said.

Dec 18, 2018
When is it ever a good look to wave off people's already proven experiences just because they don't bother you.

You genuinely think people looked at this and went, damn Nintendo did a great job here, but I'd rather complain despite already committing $50?

You're literally talking to a person who felt the same way as others without even seeing the complaints online at first.
Yes this has been a trend for awhile especially when it comes to Nintendo . you've Just described the internet and Twitter.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes this has been a trend for awhile especially when it comes to Nintendo . you've Just described the internet and Twitter.
Yep, internet, twitter and Era just always picking on Nintendo just because. You got us.

I genuinely do wonder what it would it would take for someone always on the defense about Nintendo to finally just admit they screwed up instead of insisting it's everyone else that's the problem.

Keep in mind, you're flat out ignoring posted photos and videos evidence and saying everyone's just complaining despite the thing being right in front of you.

Are people being hyperbolic? Definitely. Do I care about Ocarina of Time's fog? Not really. But would I insist none of the described issues are there? No.

If Paper Mario comes out with input issues, should I just ignore that in the timed attack based game?

Last edited:

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
For what I understand, in order for Rewind to work, the emulator has to be constantly generating and deleting save states. Since this requires a lot of memory usage it's very hard to implement on N64. Most community based N64 emulators don't support it either (and the ones that do apparently crash a lot).

Anyone with better knowledge of the matter feel free to correct me or elaborate on what I said.
Yup that's pretty much it. Rewinding isn't playing the emulator backwards (that is quite impossible), it's literally just a whole bunch of automatic memory and execution snapshots much like the save states themselves, and you are stepping back through them. You can improve the memory utilisation somewhat by only recording the delta of them (the difference between snapshots), but that requires even more CPU time per frame and the bigger the state you have to record, the longer it takes the CPU to compare the states. This can get very CPU intensive very quickly, an easy thing for high end PCs to brute force, not so much for embedded portable hardware.

Hard to say how much headroom you'd have on the Switch for such a thing, without knowing how much the JIT emulation itself is already costing them.

This also presently seems to be why the N64 online multiplayer doesn't have rollback (which requires doing the exact same thing), unlike the NES and SNES emulators.

hiryu2015

Oct 27, 2017
Have played online 2-3 hours every night this week online with 1-2 others in different states, mostly Mario Kart and Mario Tennis. A few moments of stutter (the longest lasting up to 2-3 seconds) but otherwise totally fine. I would have to assume some of the online problems are connection-related as all of us have decent broadband connections.

I also played several hours of single-player Mario Tennis, Sin & Punishment and Star Fox 64 on my own, and all play and look great on my 4K tv. I even got my N64 NSO controller today and it works well (but I never noticed how uncomfortable it is to hold the controller, especially now as a grown-ass man).

The major issues I've noticed are on Mario 64. I fell off the bob-omb battlefield mountain two times during my first run because I was not used to the lag and stuttering, especially about completing 120 stars in the 3D All-Stars version earlier this year. Haven't tried Yoshi's Story or OoT yet, so will see how those go.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
i'm slowly running out of excuses for my brain. i want to be excited about this. I've wanted n64 on switch or an n64 classic for years. This is so close... it just feels so disrespectful that they didn't put the effort in to make it really shine :(

I'm on the same boat. I was very excited for N64 Switch Online, and seeing such half-assed effort makes me really pissed.

Nintendo has been constantly half-assing this stuff because internet discourse always reduces to valid criticisms being clouded by a war of hyperbolic statements by trolls and dismissal of any criticisms by fanboys. And people end up buying it anyway, so who ends up being screwed are consumers who expect a minimum of standards from Nintendo's high priced products and services.

Oct 30, 2017
My thoughts are:
1. The controller is awesome! I love being able to play these games with the original controller, it makes a HUGE difference.
2. it's a decent start with problems that vary across the titles.
3. the border...WHY. PLEASE, Nintendo, how is this acceptable? give us options
4. following on the WHY?? no ability to customize controls
5. emulator issues per game basis

The state of it is better than I expected given the impressions, but it still needs work. I'd want 3. and 4 prioritized, and then I'd be able to relax a bit, but I want to hear they're working on it/the issues.

3 and 4 are so half-assed it totally pisses me off and makes me worried nothing will be fixed.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is a great video. The input lag seems atrocious on this thing. I remember how bad the Wii U version of SM64 was with the lag and I never bought another N64 game on it because of how sluggish it felt to play The Emulator on Switch seems no different.

I can't believe they didn't bother to fix this before release.

Last edited:

Rykane

Prophet of Truth
Nov 22, 2019
Anyone else got the controller and not able to get it to pair? I've even connected it up via the USB-C cable that it comes with but it just keeps saying "Press L + R on the controller" I do that and nothing happens.

Never mind seems like I needed to update my switch. It worked after I updated the console.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Whew older games really were still figuring out camera control. Winback is more painful than I remember

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Well that was a waste of money.

I was expecting parity with the Wii U VC at the very least.

I really wanted to play OoT handheld but looks like I'm going to give that a miss until (if) they fix things.

Beegeous

Nov 6, 2017
Manchester, UK
I must say that I was expecting the worst after some of the early Mario Kart clips and that screenshot of Dark Link's room in OoT but having spent the evening on both games I've not really got any complaints.

Sure there are the odd issues such as slight frame pacing problems at the start of a race on MK or fog rendering in OoT, but to me they aren't game breaking or immersion shattering. Playing Ocarina again with a proper N64 pad after all these years really took away any reservations I had on revisiting the OG after playing the amazing 3DS remake.

I guess what I'm saying is that these issues are so slight to me that they're in no way hampering my experience. However I've yet to try MK online...

Last edited:

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I must say that I was expecting the worst after some of the early Mario Kart clips and that screenshot of Dark Link's room in OoT but having spent the evening on both games I've not really got any complaints.

Sure there are the odd issues such as slight frame pacing problems at the start of a race on MK or fog rendering in OoT, but to me they aren't game breaking or immersion shattering. Playing Ocarina again with a proper N64 pad after all these years really took away any reservations I had on revisiting the OG after playing the amazing 3DS remake.

I guess what I'm saying is that these issues are so slight to me and they're in no way hampering my experience. However I've yet to try MK online...
I largely agree, and I've also only played these games in the last decade or so using a Wii U, and coming off of that emulator and that horrid dark filter, I'll take N64 NSO (even with visual oddities like the lack of fog in OOT) over that any day, lol. But like you, I haven't really tried online play, admittedly. I'd say if you're only familiar with Nintendo's own prior N64 emulation efforts on their past consoles, and primarily want to play offline, this is a decent/good way to play N64 games on a modern platform, even with it's shortcomings.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017

I guess what I'm saying is that these issues are so slight to me and they're in no way hampering my experience. However I've yet to try MK online...

yeah more or less. I kinda wish I cared more about the problems, as a matter of principle, but if I'm honest with myself it's fine. I was playing these games on an 80s PAL tv via RF until like 2001 - I can handle imperfection lol. The 720p rendering is probably worth the trade off overall, though it'd be nice to have a CRT filter to smooth out the sprites and UI elements a bit (nothing they do could fix some of those prerendered backgrounds in OOT though).

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Played some Ocarina tonight (undocked with Hori Splitpad) and it's fine. I didn't notice input lag at all, granted I just got to the Deku Tree. Also ran around the courtyard in Mario 64 jumping for a bit, again.. it seemed fine to me.

Truth be told I'm more concerned about the visual issues than I am the input lag. I doubt I would notice some of the stuff being called out in Ocarina (it's been 15+ years since I've played this version, last best it on 3DS).

I hate sounding like an apologist but so far I have no real complaints other than that god damned stupid border that can't be toggled off. Just give me all black borders Nintendo!

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Reminder: any time that something is a seriously lackluster, bad value effort, some people will feel it's completely fine.

these things are not mutually exclusive.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
can I just say that the fact that they didn't map C-right to a normal, single, digital button in OoT when they had a perfectly working setup for it in Gamecube and Wii is fucking hilarious

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Kind of shocked Mario 64 had less lag on Wii VC than on original hardware. Are we sure his analysis isn't missing anything?

Good emulation has been achieving lower input delays than OG hardwares for a long time already. Which is why the NSO expansion is infuriating, especially considering NERD got it mostly right with the mini consoles and S/NES emulation on basic NSO. Also don't underestimate controller induced delays.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Truly the Apple of gaming.

😂

This is not to defend Apple so much as to really hammer Nintendo, but Apple is widely acknowledged as a leader in accessibility for both their hardware and software. These N64 games do not even allow for button remapping which is essential and the bare minimum. Nintendo has dropped the ball big time here and I will be surprised (pleasantly) if they respond to feedback.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo should extend expiration dates for the service and/or offer refunds until these issues are resolved. This is unethical and unacceptable, full stop.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Got the n64 controller and played the first Zelda dungeon and training on starfox. Pretty fun, but yeah it felt a little different. Purists will hate it but i had a good time. I Hope they update it over time but this all feels super rushed. I haven't tried the sega games yet either

Serrato

Oct 25, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
They sure did

Thanks for thinking that QA has the full power to stop stuff for being released

Imagine thinking QA has any power at all in decisions to release or not a product. Once they tell it doesn't crash or has any seriously bad issues like deleting / corrupting files, constantly crashing or stuff like that, it's out of their hands, regardless of the actual product quality.

Edit : And as we've seen with certain releases *cough* Cyberpunk *cough* even then...

Jul 1, 2020
This is not to defend Apple so much as to really hammer Nintendo, but Apple is widely acknowledged as a leader in accessibility for both their hardware and software. These N64 games do not even allow for button remapping which is essential and the bare minimum. Nintendo has dropped the ball big time here and I will be surprised (pleasantly) if they respond to feedback.
Nintendo is probably in last place in terms of accessibility in games.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I largely agree, and I've also only played these games in the last decade or so using a Wii U, and coming off of that emulator and that horrid dark filter, I'll take N64 NSO (even with visual oddities like the lack of fog in OOT) over that any day, lol. But like you, I haven't really tried online play, admittedly. I'd say if you're only familiar with Nintendo's own prior N64 emulation efforts on their past consoles, and primarily want to play offline, this is a decent/good way to play N64 games on a modern platform, even with it's shortcomings.
It's difficult to find people with a fair amount of experience with both, but consensus seems to be that input lag on NSO is even worse than Wii U N64 titles.

At least for handheld(Off-TV) play on both.
Mirrors my performance with OOT so far.

I stopped testing Mario 64 as I don't really care since I own it as part of the 3D collection anyway.