• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

In retrospective which is the bigger mistake made by Nintendo:

• Ditching CD-ROM and sticking with cartridges on the N64

Votes: 897 49.5%
  • Betraying Sony and helping to create their biggest competitor ever: PlayStation

Votes: 915 50.5%

• Total voters

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
The N64 could've ran any format, as is it had cartridges and 64DD disks anyway.

It's not a matter of "could", I mean, the NES could have had CDROM support if Nintendo really wanted. But it's about making the hardware and CD work in concert. Sega infamously thought they could just ship a CD attachment and quickly realized they needed to add RAM and a coprocessor to make it work acceptably. The SNES Playstation prototype does roughly the same thing.

Just plugging in a CD into the Project Reality hardware as it shipped would have been a poor choice, because the Rambus channel would be under constant siege pulling data from disk and sending it to the CPU. They could have also included a separate CD cache system, but at this point they would be trying to justify a $200-$250 game console with a $100 CDROM drive and then whatever cost the extra cache would cost.

My guess is the real culprit is Miyamoto (and probably a group of others at EAD) being frustrated with loading times on SNES CD projects and what Miyamoto wanted is what Miyamoto got. Yamauchi probably just figured the guy is the best game designer in the world and every bet he made on Miyamoto to that point had turned golden.

I get what you're saying, but I disagree. To date, Nintendo has always, always paid a hard look at cost. They did it with the NES, the SNES (downscaling from their famicom+sf dreams), and pretty much every console they've done. It's their original spirit of finding cheap ways to make effective entertainment, going all the way back to the origins of Donkey Kong to even today with Labo. Maybe at first, when SGI pitched a $40 supercomputer, they thought they could make it work, but at no point do I think Nintendo thought they could ship a $400 console and was ready to just swallow the cost on a highly advanced console + an expensive CDROM drive. There are plenty of anecdotes where Miyamoto was ruled by Yamauchi, not the other way around. Y knew they couldn't ship a console as expensive as Saturn and be a success.

I always take the loading time comment with a grain of salt, because they shipped so many products on FDS. At worst, Mario 64 would have had FDS style loads at times, but not in-level. A 2x drive with a small cache would have made a huge difference, too.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a matter of "could", I mean, the NES could have had CDROM support if Nintendo really wanted. But it's about making the hardware and CD work in concert. Sega infamously thought they could just ship a CD attachment and quickly realized they needed to add RAM and a coprocessor to make it work acceptably. The SNES Playstation prototype does roughly the same thing.

Just plugging in a CD into the Project Reality hardware as it shipped would have been a poor choice, because the Rambus channel would be under constant siege pulling data from disk and sending it to the CPU. They could have also included a separate CD cache system, but at this point they would be trying to justify a $200-$250 game console with a $100 CDROM drive and then whatever cost the extra cache would cost.

I get what you're saying, but I disagree. To date, Nintendo has always, always paid a hard look at cost. They did it with the NES, the SNES (downscaling from their famicom+sf dreams), and pretty much every console they've done. It's their original spirit of finding cheap ways to make effective entertainment, going all the way back to the origins of Donkey Kong to even today with Labo. Maybe at first, when SGI pitched a $40 supercomputer, they thought they could make it work, but at no point do I think Nintendo thought they could ship a $400 console and was ready to just swallow the cost on a highly advanced console + an expensive CDROM drive. There are plenty of anecdotes where Miyamoto was ruled by Yamauchi, not the other way around. Y knew they couldn't ship a console as expensive as Saturn and be a success.

I always take the loading time comment with a grain of salt, because they shipped so many products on FDS. At worst, Mario 64 would have had FDS style loads at times, but not in-level. A 2x drive with a small cache would have made a huge difference, too.

Sure there might have been some issues, but at the end of the day, you know what's even dumber?

Losing virtually all your Japanese developer support and much of your Western support that made the NES and SNES huge successes because ... loading times.

Cost was an even dumber reason, by 1996 the cost of CD-ROM was rapidly falling, by '97 they were cheap as hell. And somehow CD-ROM was cheap enough for the Super NES for Nintendo to work on that for four years but suddenly way too expensive for the N64?

Sony was able to price cut the Playstation $199.99 with no problem by the time the N64 came out.

Someone with some sanity at Nintendo had to sit down with Yamauchi around 1995 and say "look, we can't lose this many developers, we're going to have to compromise with third parties and give them a CD solution, we can still have a cartridge slot if need be for Mr. Miyamoto".

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
On a technical level, the cartridge was the better choice. Faster access, no need for a RAM cache, no need to pay for a CD Drive.

On a business level, the CD was made for the better medium. They cost $1 a pop to print, and a publisher just had to pay up front for the manufacturing. They then had to pay Sony $7 a pop for the sell through. With carts, publishers were paying $20 a pop for the media.

Let me repeat that. $20 a pop for the media. Paid up front.

If they misjudged up front they were fucked. They either over manufacture and have to eat the costs of the extra cartridges, or they under manufacture and starve the channel while the marketing is hot.

I was always so frustrated with PS1 games. It felt like I was hitting a 1 minute pause every time it had to stop and load.

EDIT: As for the other choice - betraying Sony (WTF is with that wording - they were just playing hardball negotiation) - It could have just as easily been Sega if they hadn't been so fucked up internally at the time. The CD business model with a competent console (not the over-engineered monstrosity that the Saturn was) was going to beat out expensive cartridges eventually. It's interesting to see the turn that downloads have had lately. They've changed the business model again. They'd probably do better if they be willing to cut a discount over physical media.

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On a technical level, the cartridge was the better choice. Faster access, no need for a RAM cache, no need to pay for a CD Drive.

On a business level, the CD was made for the better medium. They cost $1 a pop to print, and a publisher just had to pay up front for the manufacturing. They then had to pay Sony $7 a pop for the sell through. With carts, publishers were paying $20 a pop for the media.

Let me repeat that. $20 a pop for the media. Paid up front.

If they misjudged up front they were fucked. They either over manufacture and have to eat the costs of the extra cartridges, or they under manufacture and starve the channel while the marketing is hot.

I was always so frustrated with PS1 games. It felt like I was hitting a 1 minute pause every time it had to stop and load.

It never had to be an either/or choice. You can have a cartridge slot on a CD based system. It's not like they explode if they're too close together or something.

Quite frankly you probably could've saved a lot of money on cartridge costs too by making dual cart + CD games where the music, FMVs, and maybe some other data like textures could be stored on a 5 cent CD and the game data could be on the cartridge.

There you go. Now you got a game with minimal loading during actual game play and the benefits of CD storage.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing compares to Nintendo's colossal fuck up of stabbing Sony in the back at Summer CES 1991.

A few articles from August/September 1991.

JZISnix.jpg

bMGIM28.jpg

UO9NLFC.jpg

...both Quatermann and VG&CE overlook the contract details regarding Nintendo's decision, which was mentioned by the New York Times in comparison. Besides, Quatermann (Shane Bettenhausen) was a notorious Sony fanboy and his articles were very biased toward it, if I remember correctly, it was him, at EGM, who started the misleading "Nintendo going third-party" rumor in the GCN days, which held a major impact into Nintendo's public credibility.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...both Quatermann and VG&CE overlook the contract details regarding Nintendo's decision, which was mentioned by the New York Times in comparison. Besides, Quatermann (Shane Bettenhausen) was a notorious Sony fanboy and his articles were very biased toward it, if I remember correctly, it was him, at EGM, who started the misleading "Nintendo going third-party" rumor in the GCN, which held a major impact into Nintendo's public credibility.

Ed Semrad at EGM was wildly biased against Nintendo too, lol. I remember him trying very hard to downplay Star Fox for the SNES and all the fuss over the Super FX chip by trying to prop up Silpheed on the Sega CD. Nintendo apparently commited the crime of building a cool "dome" area for Star Fox at the CES show and their area was packed and Semrad was upset that Silpheed didn't get enough attention. At that time Nintendo was the "establishment" and it was cool to back anyone going against them.

Is there a link to the New York Times article? I wouldn't mind reading that.

Last edited:

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight, Nintendo obviously fucked up by pissing off Sony and abandoning the original PlayStation project. I get why they did it and their worries with going through with the deal, but doing so in such a public fashion is probably what pissed Sony off more than anything. And while Sony was pretty much always gonna put it's hat into the ring as a major competitor sooner or later, I feel that Nintendo's public "backstabbing" is probably what resulted in Sony fast-tracking it's foray into the industry and being extremely aggressive in it's push as a new competitor.

But the bigger fuck-up was absolutely Nintendo's choice to continue with the cartridge format when the rest of the industry (especially third parties) were clearly eyeing CDs as the next step to their visions for the home console arena. Despite it's drawbacks when it came to durability and loading times, the sheer amount of data that could be stored per disc more than made up for it, and that's not even mentioning it's cheapness and ease to produce when compared to cartridges.

Perhaps Nintendo took it's market dominance for granted and didn't think that third parties would abandon in mass and risk less success with the mess that was Sega or the unproven Sony. They could continue controlling production and receive higher profits by sticking with cartridge manufacturing and assumed third-parties would largely just suck it up and deal with it. Maybe they just didn't see where the market and the industry were moving towards and/or didn't care, and were willing to go their own route for their own differing vision for video games and the market, third parties de damned. It certainly wouldn't be the first time Nintendo would make that kind of decision.

It could've been both or something else entirely. The ulterior reasons don't really matter as much as the effect. Third parties as a whole were more willing to risk it and go with PlayStation, as it provided them the opportunity to make games without the ridiculous restrictions and expenses that cartridges would bring, and in the cases of many RPGs, would be virtually impossible to create on the N64 to begin with due to those issues. Had Nintendo went with CDs and provided freedoms even somewhere close to what Sony was offering, and third-party exodus probably would have been greatly mitiagted or near-nonexistent, and Sony would've likely taken a role similar to that of Sega during the 16-bit generation. As a highly competent and competitive player that would challenge but probably not usurp Nintendo in the console market, instead of the steamrolling juggernaut that it actually became.

Last edited:

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
It never had to be an either/or choice. You can have a cartridge slot on a CD based system. It's not like they explode if they're too close together or something.

Quite frankly you probably could've saved a lot of money on cartridge costs too by making dual cart + CD games where the music, FMVs, and maybe some other data like textures could be stored on a 5 cent CD and the game data could be on the cartridge.

There you go. Now you got a game with minimal loading during actual game play and the benefits of CD storage.
Thought a little bit about that. Sure. In fact, the PS1 had 2.5 megs of ram and the N64 had 4 megs. It could have been done with the understanding. Would have also been some pretty deep architectural choices there. I could see a CD-ROM drive with a 1 meg ram cache and some sort of controller to tell it to load what data from the CD to what parts of that RAM, and then have a register to report back to the main unit that the requested data had been cached.

The PS1 released in December of '94, and the N64 released in June of '96. 18 months was probably enough time to redesign, but they would have taken a year to realize and accept that Sony was real competition and why. At that point it was too late. An add-on CD drive would have almost been a whole console (minus with smaller processors) and it would have probably softened the blow, but it was too late.

I have entirely different criticisms of the design choices for the GameCube.

My criticism of the Super Nintendo is that they should have used different A/B button locations (the one on the top-right corner):

35jbk8g.jpg

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo was right to rip up the original contract if you read it.

If that situation happened today to say Sony and some other company, Sony would try everything to get out of it.

Letting another company take your licensee royalties due to vague wording in an agreement was always a no-go.

Nintendo could've beat Sony if they had been sharper and compromised with 3rd parties.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
So is the timeline of the Nintendo/Sony thing basically this?

- Sony and Nintendo sign an agreement in 1988, which would allow Sony to create a CD version of Nintendo hardware
- Sony would get licencing rights (and all associated fees) for anything released to play on the CD add on
- At the time, the use of CD-ROMs for video games isn't exactly clear, and Sony tells Nintendo they're going to use it for releasing music, movies, education software, etc. Not video games. Nintendo (stupidly) took them at their word
- We get to 1991, and in the previous 3 years it's become clear that Sony actually wants to get into the video game market and can use this deal as a trojan horse
- Nintendo sees a future where third parties would just release their games on CD which meant Sony would get all the licencing fees and Nintendo gets cut off. If Nintendo wanted to move to CD games, they would have to use Sony as a publisher
- Nintendo goes to Phillips instead and negotiates a deal where Phillips would make a Nintendo system with CD capability and Nintendo would get the licencing for any games released on it
- This deal with Phillips is announced the day before Sony have their CES conference where they would be announcing the 'Play Station'
- Time passes, and in late 1992 it's announced that Nintendo and Sony have renegotiated their deal and the Play Station would be released but Nintendo would maintain control over licencing
- Kuturagi, correctly summises that Sony doesn't need this deal with Nintendo anyway and they should just go ahead with their own console. He uses the Philips announcement before CES as a way to convince the Sony management that Nintendo had 'betrayed' them, even though they obviously didn't think that themselves since they continued working with Nintendo for over 12 months after CES 1991.
- Sony obviously use the knowledge they've gained as a partner with Nintendo over the last 4-5 years to identify Nintendo's third party relationships as a huge weak point and exploit that with the PS1.

Would that be an accurate summary?

Nintendo wouldn't have needed Sony as publisher. I don't know where that claim is coming from.

Nintendo's problem was that they allowed that Sony owns the Super CD and had full control over licensing.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thought a little bit about that. Sure. In fact, the PS1 had 2.5 megs of ram and the N64 had 4 megs. It could have been done with the understanding. Would have also been some pretty deep architectural choices there. I could see a CD-ROM drive with a 1 meg ram cache and some sort of controller to tell it to load what data from the CD to what parts of that RAM, and then have a register to report back to the main unit that the requested data had been cached.

The PS1 released in December of '94, and the N64 released in June of '96. 18 months was probably enough time to redesign, but they would have taken a year to realize and accept that Sony was real competition and why. At that point it was too late. An add-on CD drive would have almost been a whole console (minus with smaller processors) and it would have probably softened the blow, but it was too late.

My criticism of the Super Nintendo is that they should have used different A/B button locations (the one on the top-right corner):

35jbk8g.jpg

The moment there were rumblings that Squaresoft was not going to make FF7 for the N64 is the moment Nintendo needed to say "OK, enough of this, we're putting a CD drive into the N64, that's that".

They were never going to make 1995 as a release date anyway, I don't know where that came from, they couldn't even have more than 2 playable games at the Shoshinkai Show in 1995 and that was November of 1995, lol.

How you could go into a generation without firm commitments from Squaresoft, Capcom, Electronic Arts, for software is mind boggling.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
[/QUOTE]
...both Quatermann and VG&CE overlook the contract details regarding Nintendo's decision, which was mentioned by the New York Times in comparison. Besides, Quatermann (Shane Bettenhausen) was a notorious Sony fanboy and his articles were very biased toward it, if I remember correctly, it was him, at EGM, who started the misleading "Nintendo going third-party" rumor in the GCN days, which held a major impact into Nintendo's public credibility.
Let's just leave it at Shane was working on rumors and there are details he wasn't privy to. No need to slander.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The contract between Sony and Nintendo was insane, Nintendo was fully in the right to want to get out of it.

Whoever drafted that deal should've been fired on the spot.

Oct 25, 2017
(From my own experience working on N64 games...)

Fundamentally putting a CD drive on the Nintendo 64 hardware would be a mistake. The hardware SGI delivered ended up being underpowered (compared to their desktop solutions) and unbalanced (Rambus latency being awful). Perfect for 3D Rendering and just a disaster for games.
Hmm. Isn't saying that the N64 was underpowered pretty unfair? I mean, it was a $200 home console. They were limited by the price, and despite that the N64 was more powerful than home PCs at the time of its release. Later that year PCs did pass the n64, though, when the Voodoo 1 card released... for more money than an N64 cost, as a graphics-only addon card. Sure, there was some pushback against the N64 when we first saw it -- I mean, it did not live up to the "it'll look like arcade Cruis'n USA but at home!" hype -- but considering the price it was as powerful as it could be. I'm sure there are some ways that SGI's lacking experience at the consumer level hurt, but it did still end up being pretty powerful, and the most powerful system of the generation.

Otherwise though, you're right, I forgot about the Rambus RDRAM speed issue. It was really that bad? I mean, I know the N64's ram has a slow access speed to start access, but has very fast access while connected, or something like that. I know that the RAMBUS RAM used in later systems, including early Pentium 4 PCs (such as the one I still have) and the Playstation 2, is improved over the earlier version in the N64, but they are all evolutions of the same thing, and Intel and Sony went with it because of how fast Rambus RDRAM is while you're reading from it. I'm not a programmer though and this is an often-mentioned issue with the N64, so yeah, I should have mentioned it.

Carts were a way of getting around that latency because you could make calls directly from the cartridge and bypass main memory entirely.
I'm sure NIntendo had more reasons than that for going with carts. You know, the old thing some people used to say about the N64 was that NIntendo always designed consoles around their first game for it. So, the "problem" with the N64 was that it was designed around Mario 64, and didn't necessarily work as well with other games. I've always been fine with this, though, because even if it is true, why not design a system around such an amazing game? It resulted in an incredible console after all... and Mario 64 would have been worse on CD regardless of any (mostly relatively minor) issues with SGI's design, I believe. Perhaps SGI's design did help encourage Nintendo to use carts though, who knows.

Combined with the texture cache issue, there just wouldn't be much hope to match PS1 title-by-title

What do you mean here? If the N64 used CDs with no other changes, you'd still have a system with a 3x faster CPU and a whole pile of nice graphical features like perspective correction, etc. I presume that you're just talking about textures, though, and in that case, yes; I agree, just adding a CD drive to the N64 would not fix the systems' texture resolution problem, they'd still be lower-rez than PS1 textures are. You'd need a larger cache for that.

The thing is though, those two pieces of hardware (SGI and CD) were never both in the cards. For one, hardware planning takes years in advance - back when this was happening, hardware cost of the drive would be around $100 if not more - so if Nintendo had to decide on technological reasons instead of business ones, I think it's highly likely the only "CD" option would be to ship 1-2 years earlier, using a cheaper and simpler architecture...basically, the PlayStation.
That makes sense, Nintendo would never have made a $300-plus console in the mid '90s; they cared too much about costs for that.

Early games like SM64 honestly wouldn't be that different. You'd see longer initial load and level loads, but texture support (if they fixed the cache issue) would have been far better. Gameplay would be the same.
I don't know, a CD-based N64, with no change other than a larger cache -- not just for textures, but for data from the disc, since you always need more cache in a disc system than a cart one -- it seems unlikely that it would have been as good as the game we have, even beyond loading...

The interesting "what if?" would be if it shipped with 4MB of RAM. The Hanshin earthquake didn't devastate RAM supply as much as people think, but I also suspect the cost of RAM even 18 months earlier would have been possibly 50% more. (These were the days where desktops still had 4-8MB!) So the PS1 standard (2+1) is actually very telling of its release year.
What do you mean? The N64 has 4MB of RAM... or 8MB with the RAM expansion. Unless you meant to say 'what if it shipped with 8MB of RAM'? In that case, that would have been interesting, sure... though as we see with games that support the Expansion Pak, it helped a lot for some things, but also allowed devs to push resolutions to a point where the framerates got even worse in N64 games, so it's probably not all bad that not all N64 games support it... it'd still have been really cool though, yeah. Were they ever actually thinking about putting 8MB in the base system?

I know I just agreed with this above, but yeah, Nintendo would certainly at minimum have had to add a CD cache system, and combined with the costs of the base hardware it'd probably have resulted in a higher price than Nintendo thought people would pay. That probably was a part of why they went with carts.

Is there truth behind Nintendo's old PR about how carts allowed them to make larger game areas than you could on a CD? I said earlier, and have generally assumed, that there is truth behind it because you can quickly load stuff in the background from a cart much more easily than you can from a CD, but I don't know how long that took to get better on CD consoles... later titles like Driver stream data fairly impressively, but I doubt games earlier in the generation could have matched that.

As for the FDS, that is a good point, yeah... they did have that thing, and they released a floppy addon to the N64 as well, which also has load times! However, perhaps their expereince from the FDS helped convince them to keep the 64DD as only an addon, instead of trying to make floppies the N64's main storage medium or something? You know, reserve it for games that need the extra space or more writeable data. On the subject of the 64DD though, yeah, I agree that it was a mistake. I've never used a 64DD because of how much they cost, though I would like to get one someday, but floppy disk console games... ugh! Between how floppies are pretty much the opposite of durable long term and have waht can be long load times, it's good that the thing only ended up being used for the kind of game that best makes use of its larger amount of writeable space, games like Mario Artist and such. Better would probably have been to cancel it years earlier though... it did not end up being needed, they got carts up to 64MB after all, and while having more writeable space is nice, maybe they could have done something else for that... or just not done it and waited until storage options got better later on.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo wouldn't have needed Sony as publisher. I don't know where that claim is coming from.

Nintendo's problem was that they allowed that Sony owns the Super CD and had full control over licensing.

Alright, but that doesn't really change the dynamics too much. If the Play Station goes ahead and CD takes off, Nintendo essentially stops becoming a platform holder and functions as a second party to a Sony platform where CDs are concerned.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
100% going with carts.

I seen that that mistake was huge when I was old enough to understand it (when I was in middle school aka when the PS2 and GameCube were out).

I was online when it was explained to me on GameFaqs back in the day that the reason my GameCube wasn't getting GTA and other certain games was because of the mini-discs. Another poster pointed out how small N64 games were and how that severely limited the types of games it could receive.

I also experimented with Project 64. I seen seen the small size of the rips and they were indeed 32-64 mb in size vs a ~700 mb rip of a PSX game.

Also, the cartridges were expensive as hell. A friend of mine bought WWF No Mercy for $70 in 2001, nearly a whole year after the game released!

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
This claim really doesn't add up. FDS game loads are like five seconds. For many smaller (one side of the disk) games the entire game loaded in a single go.

Very very few PS1 games had load times as good as your average FDS game. And the few that did managed it by designing around the limitations with tricks like SOTN's load rooms. These affected game design.

On top of that, the FDS was a budget game delivery system that was abandoned for new game releases after only a couple of years on the market and remained in service only as a legacy device. And it was never brought overseas. FDS piracy in fact was probably something that pushed them away from ever using easily copied media in the future.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Cost was an even dumber reason, by 1996 the cost of CD-ROM was rapidly falling, by '97 they were cheap as hell. And somehow CD-ROM was cheap enough for the Super NES for Nintendo to work on that for four years but suddenly way too expensive for the N64?

Absolutely. And you're right, not going with CD was dumb. That's why I mentioned FDS: loading time didn't seem to matter much to Nintendo with that.

But you can't price on hindsight. Sony/Nintendo didn't cost evaluate the PS1 or the N64 in 1996. They did it in 1992 or 1993. Sony had a crucial cost advantage in that they had a vertical business system - they could manufacturer their own CD-ROM drives and chips, if needed. And at the time, CD was extremely expensive, RAM was extremely expensive, and the average desktop PC probably had 4MB of RAM (average desktop price being around $140?)

Between the earthquake and just general supply, there wasn't a global expectation of RAM costs bottoming out at that time. I think if Sony or Nintendo knew that RAM price would drop 4x by late '96, both consoles would have shipped with 8 MB, honestly...

I think this could have worked, in the sense that they could have shipped SNES-level capacity carts with a disk. But only if Nintendo honestly believed at a corporate level that loading was that big of a problem, because a 1 dollar disc + a 5 dollar cart is still a huge loss over just publishing on PS1 or Saturn and pocketing the difference. When we realized that the cost of doing business with Nintendo could be 10x or more than Sony, it's really quite impressive how well Nintendo managed to hold the line at all.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This claim really doesn't add up. FDS game loads are like five seconds. For many smaller (one side of the disk) games the entire game loaded in a single go.

Very very few PS1 games had load times as good as your average FDS game. And the few that did managed it by designing around the limitations with tricks like SOTN's load rooms. These affected game design.

On top of that, the FDS was a budget game delivery system that was abandoned for new game releases after only a couple of years on the market and remained in service only as a legacy device. And it was never brought overseas. FDS piracy in fact was probably something that pushed them away from ever using easily copied media in the future.

It's the Nintendo 64, not the Miyamoto 64 though ... that was the mistake Nintendo made. If he needed the cartridge slot for Mario 64, fine, keep it, but "no CDs, I don't like loading times" is not a sane business decision.

You can't put one designer above an entire company or really in this case the entire industry. The entire industry wanted CD-ROM.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's just leave it at Shane was working on rumors and there are details he wasn't privy to. No need to slander.[/QUOTE]

Not really, Shane knew what he was doing, he never hide from anyone his Sony bias. No secret why "Nintendo going third-party" was heavily used by Nintendo detractors and trolls to antagonize Nintendo for decades. He was a clear example of yellow journalism in the gaming media.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. And you're right, not going with CD was dumb. That's why I mentioned FDS: loading time didn't seem to matter much to Nintendo with that.

But you can't price on hindsight. Sony/Nintendo didn't cost evaluate the PS1 or the N64 in 1996. They did it in 1992 or 1993. Sony had a crucial cost advantage in that they had a vertical business system - they could manufacturer their own CD-ROM drives and chips, if needed. And at the time, CD was extremely expensive, RAM was extremely expensive, and the average desktop PC probably had 4MB of RAM (average desktop price being around $140?)

Between the earthquake and just general supply, there wasn't a global expectation of RAM costs bottoming out at that time. I think if Sony or Nintendo knew that RAM price would drop 4x by late '96, both consoles would have shipped with 8 MB, honestly...

I think this could have worked, in the sense that they could have shipped SNES-level capacity carts with a disk. But only if Nintendo honestly believed at a corporate level that loading was that big of a problem, because a 1 dollar disc + a 5 dollar cart is still a huge loss over just publishing on PS1 or Saturn and pocketing the difference. When we realized that the cost of doing business with Nintendo could be 10x or more than Sony, it's really quite impressive how well Nintendo managed to hold the line at all.

The whole N64 history is fucking bizarre to be honest.

People on this board freaking out over a Switch Pro maybe not working with Labo ... lol, try getting a Super NES in 1991 and only two years later Nintendo is suddenly announcing a new super-duper-next-gen console in 1993, lol after telling you for 2 years to save your pennies for a SNES CD add-on.

Why they rushed to announce the N64 while the SNES was still a relatively young system and aimed for a 1995 launch for no real reason was bizarre.

They had to know by 1994 that there was no chance in hell they could make a holiday 1995 release. They had no software even ready to show by that point.

By '94 they could have righted the ship and changed course there for a 1996 launch. There should have been a open meeting with developers like Square and Capcom too about whether or not they would develop for the system or not. If the answer was "no" by late 1994, they needed to re-evaluate everything.

The4WuDu

Oct 27, 2017
Looking back on it - Nintendo not partnering with Sony was a pivotal decision in the history of gaming, rather than a mistake.

It set the future path for both companies, resulting in some of the most iconic games created.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
From those two options I would say going with carts screwed them more. Although I think Nintendo's biggest mistake was working with Sony in the first place. Sony had ulterior motives for working with Nintendo and Nintendo were foolish for not seeing this sooner.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From those two options I would say going with carts screwed them more. Although I think Nintendo's biggest mistake was working with Sony in the first place. Sony had ulterior motives for working with Nintendo and Nintendo were foolish for not seeing this sooner.
yep. that was clearly a long term plan to take over nintendo (to both get their IPs and force them out of the hardware business). nintendo was very dumb to not see it at first, but i'm very glad they eventually did.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sales performance wise, the N64 actually did as good as the SNES in North America.

Nintendo's biggest mistakes were:

- a shitty SDK
- stupid bugs on the hardware
- secret sauce code that not even Rare was allowed to peruse (the N64's best libraries were all written by either RAD Game Tools or Factor 5.. and that was it)
- choosing crap partners like RAMBus

CDs would have never carried the N64 to being a sales juggernaut

The Sony deal would have absolutely fucked Nintendo over financially and would not be here today if they decided to be "nice" and let Sony consume 100% of their fees.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It's the Nintendo 64, not the Miyamoto 64 though ... that was the mistake Nintendo made. If he needed the cartridge slot for Mario 64, fine, keep it, but "no CDs, I don't like loading times" is not a sane business decision.

You can't put one designer above an entire company or really in this case the entire industry. The entire industry wanted CD-ROM.
Did you quote the wrong person? All I did was say using FDS as proof Nintendo were fine with load times was silly and wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
Great post, as usual, from you. But I have to disagree choosing carts for N64 was a good decision. Despite many of the pros you mentioned, like Super Mario 64, OOT, Banjo being unable to be made properly into 90's CD technology, there were many drawbacks which alienated development from it. Such as:

- High production costs. No secret why cart games were more expensive than CDs. As previously said in this thread, Nintendo couldn't drop the price on the same level as PSX's titles.
- High development costs. A major reason why the third-party exodus happened.
- High licensing and manufacturing fees. Another major reason why third-parties prefered CDs than carts, plus, Nintendo heavily controlled the cart manufactuing demand, sometimes not being able to handle enough carts for third-parties or rather not providing enough cart storage space for their games. This is what happened with Square in the SNES, hence why Secret of Mana took major cuts, and a major reason why both Nintendo and Square relationship got shaken culminating into their split.
- Limited storage space. This is, perhaps, one of the greatest drawbacks of carts - and we can see even now with Switch. Most multiplat N64 games had to be compressed, causing major data loss, in order to fill the cart properly. Capcom did this with both RE2 and MML, for example. It was almost impossible to port multidisk games to it, that's why J-RPGs got absent from the system.
- Inferior audio. Yeah, this is undoubtely one of the strongest gaps between carts and CDs by the time. Audio difference between both medias were alarming.
- No CGI. PSX and Saturn's CGI might look ugly by now, but at the time they were mindblowing gorgeous for the public's eye and they blew away by far any standard graphics of the time. Many wondered, by the time, why N64 couldn't reproduce such features? Another reason why some devs prefered developing for CDs because they were easier to make CGI. Sure, Nintendo 64 got some CGI as well, such as RE2, but they had to be heavily compressed (loosing quality in return) in order to fill the cart storage.

Nintendo also already knew the N64 hardware and media storage weren't enough to properly attend the demands of the time, hence why they got the 64DD as an ace in the hole to fill it's deficiences. They knew already the standard N64 wouldn't be able to run Square and Enix's titles properly, even their own Mother 3 (hence why it was canned and released for GBA later), and they knew this genre was very important for Nintendo's exodus in the japanese market. Once Square left and took pretty every single japanese developer with it, Nintendo lost their ace in the hole because they no longer had J-RPG support, the reason why 64DD was created in the first place. No secret why Nintendo left it for dead and not even released it in the west, they didn't had a reason anymore to keep supporting it. In a sum, NINTENDO KNEW THEY SCREW UP WITH N64 and tried to repair the damage mid course.
Going down this list...

- High production and manufacturing costs - This is true, and it probably hurt the N64 somewhat, but in the US at least it did well despite the higher cart costs so it's not tha tbig of a deal. It did reduce the number of games on the system, but "quality over quantity" really was true for the N64 so oh well.
- High development and licensing costs - These would have happened regardless, Nintendo wasn't going to make the N64 cheap to develop for.
- Limited storage space - This hurt some games, but really wasn't that big of a deal. Sure, it meant that some multiplatform games had fewer songs, no FMV cutscenes, and such, but while they are nice, I at least don't mind losing those things if I get better gameplay in the game itself, which I do think we got. It's too bad that this led to losing JRPGs and such, but I'd rather have 3d platformers and such be better than have lots of JRPGs on the N64 myself... and anyway, Paper Mario is my favorite console RPG that gen so the N64 can do a great RPG. :)
- Inferior audio - While N64 audio is note quite CD quality, I think it's pretty good and most N64 games have good music. It's not much of a weakness of the system. The absence of CDs are more felt for things like voice acting and cutscenes really, though Rare and Factor 5 worked wonders on the voice acting front with some of their games!
- Much less CGI and FMV - Yes, this is true, and it did hurt the N64, when people compared those 100% CGI Playstation game ads (like for FFVII) to in-game N64 graphics and said 'the PS1 looks better'... but isn't that part of what was fun about the generation, that the systems were so different? But while I like CGI cutscenes plenty sometimes, particularly those from the PC games I was playing in the '90s, I've never missed them in N64 games, even N64 games which have CGI in their Playstation incarnations; it's like, sure, Battletanx: Global Assault for N64 doesn't have animated CGI cutscenes... but it does have much larger and better game levels instead, and better gameplay, and 4 player multiplayer instead of just two. Would the game be just as great if the N64 was on CDs?

Good point. Are 64DD loads comparable?

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Alright, but that doesn't really change the dynamics too much. If the Play Station goes ahead and CD takes off, Nintendo essentially stops becoming a platform holder and functions as a second party to a Sony platform where CDs are concerned.

Nintendo is still the owner of the hardware. What happened is that Nintendo allowed Sony to become a semi platform holder with the add on. Though it would have been questionable how relevant a premium add on would have been anyway.

And even in worst case a new console in 1994 would have rendered the Super CD obsolete.

OP
OP
AztecComplex

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(From my own experience working on N64 games...)

Fundamentally putting a CD drive on the Nintendo 64 hardware would be a mistake. The hardware SGI delivered ended up being underpowered (compared to their desktop solutions) and unbalanced (Rambus latency being awful). Perfect for 3D Rendering and just a disaster for games. Carts were a way of getting around that latency because you could make calls directly from the cartridge and bypass main memory entirely. Combined with the texture cache issue, there just wouldn't be much hope to match PS1 title-by-title.

The thing is though, those two pieces of hardware (SGI and CD) were never both in the cards. For one, hardware planning takes years in advance - back when this was happening, hardware cost of the drive would be around $100 if not more - so if Nintendo had to decide on technological reasons instead of business ones, I think it's highly likely the only "CD" option would be to ship 1-2 years earlier, using a cheaper and simpler architecture...basically, the PlayStation.

Early games like SM64 honestly wouldn't be that different. You'd see longer initial load and level loads, but texture support (if they fixed the cache issue) would have been far better. Gameplay would be the same. The interesting "what if?" would be if it shipped with 4MB of RAM. The Hanshin earthquake didn't devastate RAM supply as much as people think, but I also suspect the cost of RAM even 18 months earlier would have been possibly 50% more. (These were the days where desktops still had 4-8MB!) So the PS1 standard (2+1) is actually very telling of its release year.
Thank you for this answer. I really appreciate it.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

Because they don't have as much data to transfer? I've seen some really awful load times, + side flipping, but that could be due to belt age. In any case, it's still (a) worse than cartridge and (b) requires adjusting the design to handle loading, as you would go on to say. It's not like Nintendo had no idea how to handle loading in games - they had been training for it already. As bad as piracy was I imagine they would have stuck with FDS overseas, but luckily manufacturing cost for cartridges came down enough that even games as big as Wario's Woods were possible. It's actually ironic that even Nintendo wanted out of the cartridge cost portfolio, but ended up sticking with it the longest.

Hmm. Isn't saying that the N64 was underpowered pretty unfair? I mean, it was a $200 home console. They were limited by the price, and despite that the N64 was more powerful than home PCs at the time of its release. Later that year PCs did pass the n64, though, when the Voodoo 1 card released... for more money than an N64 cost, as a graphics-only addon card. Sure, there was some pushback against the N64 when we first saw it -- I mean, it did not live up to the "it'll look like arcade Cruis'n USA but at home!" hype -- but considering the price it was as powerful as it could be. I'm sure there are some ways that SGI's lacking experience at the consumer level hurt, but it did still end up being pretty powerful, and the most powerful system of the generation.

It's a matter of perspective. To you or me, sure, a 90+ MHz console in the era of the SNES and whatever is amazing. Superfast. But what they were promised by SGI was effectively a $40 Onyx with vastly improved power consumption, and the reality is that [a] it wasn't ready (hence the console delays), the spec came down a lot, and [c] some of the hardware was just not really a good idea for the home. Specifically, the texture cache being too small, and the choice of Rambus DRAM (which had extraordinary transfer rate but just abysmal latency). It's kind of a "Popeye" console in that the arms are massive but the torso and legs need some work. Hooking up a CD would have solved the storage problem (adding beefier legs), but without a cache to handle the textures, or massively improved DRAM latency, the N64 CPU was often stuck waiting (not doing anything!) and wasting its effective clockspeed on transfers.

The cartridge was effectively vital for some games because, for example, if you just play the music off the cartridge, you end up using that spare CPU time to get the audio going...but the downside is that you need it basically uncompressed because if you were to decompress it, you would have to decompress to RAM...which means copying it there...and the whole rigamarole continues.

To make things worse, Nintendo legally protected stuff about how Project Reality worked (opcodes) and you had to actually apply to Nintendo to learn some of it. It's not like X86 where the whole architecture is there for you - certain aspects of reaching the same speeds as Nintendo were effectively subject to a disclosure.

A Black Falcon said:
What do you mean here? If the N64 used CDs with no other changes, you'd still have a system with a 3x faster CPU and a whole pile of nice graphical features like perspective correction, etc. I presume that you're just talking about textures, though, and in that case, yes; I agree, just adding a CD drive to the N64 would not fix the systems' texture resolution problem, they'd still be lower-rez than PS1 textures are. You'd need a larger cache for that.

Nintendo was absolutely correct with the Gamecube in that you need the right balance of hardware components to actually use them to their potential. The N64 CPU was often stalled by choices on cache and RAM, just as the PS1 was stalled by transfer speed. But Nintendo's error was more difficult to swallow because basically it took the lead it had in some components (like clockspeed) and probably left it on par, above, or below the PS1 depending on what you need. Perspective Correction is great! But I don't think Front Mission 3 or Rage Racer were substantially without it. Especially because they could make up for it with sheer data size or textures everywhere (see: Ridge Racer 64 vs. RRT4). Now, a lot of this stuff, if you're clever, you can design and code around. You can find interesting ways to cover up the problems. But at that point, you're basically working as hard if not harder as the guys on CD.

Sega realized this mistake with the Sega CD and ended up including cache memory and a co-processor, realizing that if they asked the Megadrive to do the work, it would not only be slower...but it would also reduce the amount of capability/performance available to games. So basically, CD was the right way to go, but you wanted the right hardware to speed it up a little, if you still wanted to save your core performance for games.

A Black Falcon said:
What do you mean? The N64 has 4MB of RAM... or 8MB with the RAM expansion. Unless you meant to say 'what if it shipped with 8MB of RAM'? In that case, that would have been interesting, sure... though as we see with games that support the Expansion Pak, it helped a lot for some things, but also allowed devs to push resolutions to a point where the framerates got even worse in N64 games, so it's probably not all bad that not all N64 games support it... it'd still have been really cool though, yeah. Were they ever actually thinking about putting 8MB in the base system?

I mean, at the time, RAM was always one of the most expensive things in a computer. It was getting cheaper, but slowly. It took the widespread success of Windows 95 and the Internet to boost adoption rates, trigger new factories, and eventually get die size down enough where memory cost could plummet. Given the 5+ year lifecycle of consoles, Nintendo and Sony often didn't look just at how much their console cost prior to launch, but at how much they could forecast it dropping down. That affected how quickly they could get down to the "magic" $99 and just basically make more profit in the interim.

The trick is that you're making that bet 5+ years in advance. If Sony or Nintendo (or Sega) knew their RAM cost would go down so much, they would ship it with more. More cache, more RAM, whatever it takes to make development easier and improve performance. Suddenly you have the PS4 situation of the best console to work with. The RAM expansion was Nintendo's hedge: they didn't think RDRAM would drop so quickly (and since it was not common DRAM, it probably didn't) but if Sony had 4 or 8 on launch, well, you could store a lot more on load. You could stream data longer. Bigger levels, more textures on call, etc. N64 had a level geometry advantage in that you could load more, and faster, but to realize the speed gain you would need compression...which in turn has CPU and memory latency cost. Generally the N64 lesson was: big levels: OK, but you would end up smearing them with such small textures that it was a difficult balancing act. Going down to 256color or 16 color helped a lot with texture size, but...yeah not the easiest to work with.

So really I just mean "shipped with" because that's ultimately the only hardware spec that matters. Nintendo did ship the expansion, but the install base was already low, and this made it even lower. Shipping consoles is a hedge on a specific platform spec and hoping your software doesn't outgrow it before you plan on the next one.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going down this list...

- High production and manufacturing costs - This is true, and it probably hurt the N64 somewhat, but in the US at least it did well despite the higher cart costs so it's not tha tbig of a deal. It did reduce the number of games on the system, but "quality over quantity" really was true for the N64 so oh well.
- High development and licensing costs - These would have happened regardless, Nintendo wasn't going to make the N64 cheap to develop for.
- Limited storage space - This hurt some games, but really wasn't that big of a deal. Sure, it meant that some multiplatform games had fewer songs, no FMV cutscenes, and such, but while they are nice, I at least don't mind losing those things if I get better gameplay in the game itself, which I do think we got. It's too bad that this led to losing JRPGs and such, but I'd rather have 3d platformers and such be better than have lots of JRPGs on the N64 myself... and anyway, Paper Mario is my favorite console RPG that gen so the N64 can do a great RPG. :)
- Inferior audio - While N64 audio is note quite CD quality, I think it's pretty good and most N64 games have good music. It's not much of a weakness of the system. The absence of CDs are more felt for things like voice acting and cutscenes really, though Rare and Factor 5 worked wonders on the voice acting front with some of their games!
- Much less CGI and FMV - Yes, this is true, and it did hurt the N64, when people compared those 100% CGI Playstation game ads (like for FFVII) to in-game N64 graphics and said 'the PS1 looks better'... but isn't that part of what was fun about the generation, that the systems were so different? But while I like CGI cutscenes plenty sometimes, particularly those from the PC games I was playing in the '90s, I've never missed them in N64 games, even N64 games which have CGI in their Playstation incarnations; it's like, sure, Battletanx: Global Assault for N64 doesn't have animated CGI cutscenes... but it does have much larger and better game levels instead, and better gameplay, and 4 player multiplayer instead of just two. Would the game be just as great if the N64 was on CDs?

N64 is perhaps my personal favorite system and I'm very personally attachted to it, as well, but, I can't overlooked the issues it have on the time and many of them were results of Nintendo's arrogance toward the market and developers.

- Even in the west, despite better support from Japan, there were some unwillingness from some western companies as well, such as EA, Eidos and Infogrames. Some big hits like Medal of Honor, Need for Speed, Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and Driver got absent from N64, for example.

- ...and this was a mistake. Yamauchi said Nintendo made the N64 hard to develop in order to "repel untalented developers", a typical attitude from their arrogance.

- Disagree, this was a big deal and a major reason for why N64 was so lackluster in J-RPGs, at the time, in the apex of their popularity, and other content heavily games. We can even see now, with Switch, a similar problem. Except, by the time, they couldn't count with additional download like Switch can do now to get bigger games.

- Sure, there were great technical achievements in this department such as the Star Wars games, but most of the N64 audio were consisted of .midi, unlike the MP3 quality from CDs. Not disagree with you that N64 have one of the best OSTs ever made, but I'm talking about the audio format.

- We can agree that CGI could easily trick the average gamer to believe PSX was technically superior graphically wise and that was actually the common sense of the time, when in reality, hardware-wise, PSX was anything special, especially for full 3D games, which the best ones relied on small, restricted terrains in order to hide the system's awful draw distance, like Spyro, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and MGS did, for example. I can tell from my experience that I got impressed on how amazing Square CGI looked at the time and I always asked why couldn't Nintendo replicate that on the N64?

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
(Sorry, will try not to have bible-esque posts...)

People on this board freaking out over a Switch Pro maybe not working with Labo ... lol, try getting a Super NES in 1991 and only two years later Nintendo is suddenly announcing a new super-duper-next-gen console in 1993, lol after telling you for 2 years to save your pennies for a SNES CD add-on.

Why they rushed to announce the N64 while the SNES was still a relatively young system and aimed for a 1995 launch for no real reason was bizarre.

They had to know by 1994 that there was no chance in hell they could make a holiday 1995 release. They had no software even ready to show by that point.

By '94 they could have righted the ship and changed course there for a 1996 launch. There should have been a open meeting with developers like Square and Capcom too about whether or not they would develop for the system or not. If the answer was "no" by late 1994, they needed to re-evaluate everything.

The 90's were a weird time because tech was progressing REALLY fast, but companies kept miscalculating what they needed for their console to "stick". Nintendo was badly behind schedule but Donkey Kong, Super FX, and the mid-90's lineup really did help them make a fortune by riding out the tech problems and selling to their existing customers. As it turned out, they were too late to match Sony, but they were definitely right to stick to current gen a bit longer than planned and milk their huge installed base. It's basically the plot of Halt & Catch Fire: ship too early? somebody better beats you. Ship too late? Nobody cares.

SyndicateWars said:
We can agree that CGI could easily trick the average gamer to believe PSX was technically superior graphically wise and that was actually the common sense of the time, when in reality, hardware-wise, PSX was anything special, especially for full 3D games, which the best ones relied on small, restricted terrains in order to hide the system's awful draw distance, like Spyro, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and MGS did, for example. I can tell from my experience that I got impressed on how amazing Square CGI looked at the time and I always asked why couldn't Nintendo replicate that on the N64?

Simply put, the N64 could draw a lot of geometry (see: all the levels of SOTE) but geometry costs storage (a bit limited there) and the texture cache limited you to 16x16 textures unless you were willing to drop below 8bit color. Extremely dense geometry would cost a lot in CPU and RAM, so generally any given character would be 300 poly or less. PS1 could mask that a lot by just using more textures, better sizes and making it just less obvious where the polygons were. (Or dodge them altogether with pre-rendered backgrounds!)

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
While they are directly responsible for Sony entering, what gave the Playstation a leg up over them was definitely ditching CD-ROMs.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo could have and probably would have beaten Sony if they CD-ROM and third party playing field was evened out.

Sony would eventually take the ball and run with it, but in the mid-90s they weren't an unstoppable juggernaut. Give the N64 Final Fantasy VII, Resident Evil 1/2/3, all EA support, Metal Gear Solid, and hundreds of other 3rd party games for library diversity, etc. etc. and that generation is completely different.

And Nintendo quite frankly was correct to want to bail out of that horrible deal with Sony, Sony thinking they were entitled to all game CD royalties quite frankly is ridiculous. Even if they agreed to back off from that, how can you have a partnership with a company that tried to hold something like that over your head. You bail out of that and fast.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I was under the impression that the partnership with Sony would have produced something similar to the Sega CD, and I think it made sense for Nintendo not to go that route, they couldn't realistically have predicted the PlayStation at that point.

but for the Nintendo 64 it was a big mistake not going with CDROM, and that could have happened without the Sony partnership they had originally,
N64 was released years after the PS1 and Saturn, so they had plenty of opportunity to realize that the future was with optical media at the time,

Oct 29, 2017

When you have 6 competitors (SEGA, Sony, Atari, 3DO, Philips, NEC) all announcing brand new hardware at a breakneck pace (almost every other month!) throughout the emerging era of 3D graphics; you need to have some sort of response!

The clear and obvious reason why Project Reality was announced so early was to stop people from jumping ship to the "next gen" systems by saying "hey! wait! We have our own next gen system coming! And it's gonna be more powerful and better selling than anything else!"

Nintendo needed to show that they had a future. It was a necessary move.

The 90s were a very different time to today. You needed to respond to rapid change and show that you're still relevant. It really can't be undersold just how incredibly lucky Nintendo got with DKC and how it bought them extra time for the SNES.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you have 6 competitors (SEGA, Sony, Atari, 3DO, Philips, NEC) all announcing brand new hardware at a breakneck pace (almost every other month!) throughout the emerging era of 3D graphics; you need to have some sort of response!

The clear and obvious reason why Project Reality was announced so early was to stop people from jumping ship to the "next gen" systems by saying "hey! wait! We have our own next gen system coming! And it's gonna be more powerful and better selling than anything else!"

Nintendo needed to show that they had a future. It was a necessary move.

The 90s were a very different time to today.

Look at Nintendo alone though

1991 - Super NES launch in the West, SNES CD-ROM announcement
1992 - Sony + Philips + Nintendo apparently all collaborating on SNES CD-ROM
1993 - HOLY SHITBALLS, SNES CD-ROM not happening but Silicon Graphics super console happening. Oh and by the way there's a new Super FX chip that allows 3D graphics on the SNES. No biggie.
1994 - Oh we've come up with a way to have Jurassic Park type pre-renedered CGI graphics on your SNES. Oh and by the way we're making a Virtual Reality console apparently.

So much more insane than today, lol.

Oct 29, 2017
It's a matter of perspective. To you or me, sure, a 90+ MHz console in the era of the SNES and whatever is amazing. Superfast. But what they were promised by SGI was effectively a $40 Onyx with vastly improved power consumption, and the reality is that [a] it wasn't ready (hence the console delays), the spec came down a lot, and [c] some of the hardware was just not really a good idea for the home. Specifically, the texture cache being too small, and the choice of Rambus DRAM (which had extraordinary transfer rate but just abysmal latency). It's kind of a "Popeye" console in that the arms are massive but the torso and legs need some work. Hooking up a CD would have solved the storage problem (adding beefier legs), but without a cache to handle the textures, or massively improved DRAM latency, the N64 CPU was often stuck waiting (not doing anything!) and wasting its effective clockspeed on transfers

I remember reading an interview where Nintendo's developers (and I think some of the guys from ArtX/AMD) pretty much said the same thing; how the N64 was unbalanced in that it offered bursts of fantastic performance that were let down with bottlenecks and how they wanted to address this with the GCN, by focusing on a console that offered consistently good performance instead...

... wish I could find it now, but it's funny you should mention that!

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was and it's first two announced games were Zelda no Densetsu 64 and Dragon Quest VII.

Yeah that was the other thing with the 64DD, it was never billed to potential N64 owners as like an "optional" thing. It was always like "well you're gonna have to buy the 64DD down the road to play the second Zelda game and Mother 3 and Banjo-Tooie, etc. etc. etc.".

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that was the other thing with the 64DD, it was never billed to potential N64 owners as like an "optional" thing. It was always like "well you're gonna have to buy the 64DD down the road to play the second Zelda game and Mother 3 and Banjo-Tooie, etc. etc. etc.".
Not just the second, OOT was supposed to be a 64DD game at first too. It was going to launch holiday 1996 at first and then kept getting continually pushed back.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading an interview where Nintendo's developers (and I think some of the guys from ArtX/AMD) pretty much said the same thing; how the N64 was unbalanced in that it offered bursts of fantastic performance that were let down with bottlenecks and how they wanted to address this with the GCN, by focusing on a console that offered consistently good performance instead...

... wish I could find it now, but it's funny you should mention that!

I remember one of the guys that worked on the CPU said their biggest mistake was thinking it was fast enough to just do sound on the CPU, hence the N64's shit sound quality because nope, it wasn't fast enough to do quality audio on the CPU

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Miyamoto is a great software designer, but letting him into the room for hardware decisions was one of the biggest mistakes Nintendo ever made IMO.

Apparently he lobbied hard for no-CDs in the N64, the GameCube controller was made to his likes/dislikes and was not supposed to have a d-pad at all if he had his way, and he pushed hard for the 3DS 3D screen and Wii U Game Pad.

Just because you can make Super Mario Bros. doesn't mean you understand industry/market hardware trends.

Oct 29, 2017
I remember one of the guys that worked on the CPU said their biggest mistake was thinking it was fast enough to just do sound on the CPU, hence the N64's shit sound quality because nope, it wasn't fast enough to do quality audio on the CPU

Yeah, that was a really strange decision; especially considering how the SNES' SPC700 chip was one of their biggest advantages in that generation prior.

Thankfully they backpedalled on that with every subsequent handheld and console (save for the GBA - which I believe was originally supposed to have a dedicated DSP chip for sound that was cut due to cost concerns).

and he pushed hard for the 3DS 3D screen and Wii U Game Pad.

Wrong. 3DS was Hideki Konno's baby, while Wii U was Katsuya Eguchi's. Miyamoto was not the lead hardware designer on either console.

OP
OP
AztecComplex

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

35jbk8g.jpg
Wow, first time I've seen these pictures. Those are real prototype SNES controllers? What's wrong with the layout they were ent with? Why do you prefer the top right one?

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
It's definitely the CD thing.

Sony wouldn't have even had a chance without Square jumping to their console which started a titlewave of Japanese companies and consumers ditching the N64 in Japan.

All that would have been prevented if they went with CDs.

PlayStation was already doing decently before ffvii so I think Sony definitely had a chance without ffviii.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

35jbk8g.jpg
Looking at just B/A:

The top right is something of an interpretation (A) of how people used the Famicom/NES controller, with the ball of the thumb leaning on B and the elbow of the thumb being used to hit A.

However, the bottom right is the alternative interpretation (B) where the thumb would rest between B and A and rock between them. And this was entrenched with the Game Boy, which has B and A in that orientation, and later the AV Famicom's dogbone controller.

Really I think the issue was Mario World using Y/B, entrenching interpretation A for the platform from day 1, despite the buttons being alligned for interpretation B.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
pretty much. sony was never not going to make their own platform, they just wanted to use nintendo's name and IPs to get a headstart, and nintendo didn't allow it. worked out well for sony in the end so i don't think they're mad about that "betrayal".

Are we sure about this? I could have sworn Ken Kutaragi was the one vying for a games console and the CEO wasn't interested at all. It wasn't until Nintendo partnered with Phillips that the CEO got upset and felt that it embarrassed his company. It's Japan so he took it personally from what I've read.