• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I often end up giving the extremely discounted games a shot, as even if they don't hold my attention, there's not much to lose. Ninjin Clash of Carrots is on sale at the moment on the UK PSN store, for £0.79 (US $0.99).

Ninjin_Steam_Game_Icon_600x222.png

I've been playing the game for about an hour, and I think it's a ton of fun. It's a mix of brawler and twin stick shooter (as you can melee enemies dead ahead of you, or throw a weapon at enemies in any direction).

Unlike some other brawlers, Ninjin is a bit more focused on having you learn the ins and outs of every enemy and their attack patterns. It's not about big combos so much as it is about knowing how each how each enemy attacks, and learning to avoid them. There are robot like enemies that mindlessly rush you if you knock their helmets off, enemies that shoot balls at you that you can bounce back at them with your melee weapon, and more straightforward grunts that just attack ahead of them. All of their attacks control space,, and you have to figure out how to dance between them to survive each wave without taking too much damage.

i03c-1920x1020.jpg

The game also has a good sense of humour, a colourful, pleasant artstyle, and a good stream of extra items to unlock to keep you pushing forward. The items are pretty interesting, facilitating some different playstyles and strategies.

The game also has co-op, so you can play through it with a friend. Oh, and a platinum trophy for people that care about that stuff.

Here's the trailer. If it sounds or looks interesting then I think it's worth giving it a shot for the pricetag. It also has optional two player co-op available throughout the game, and endless stages with roguelike elements (where you're given random weapons and upgrades as you fight increasingly challenging waves of enemies).

It's slightly hard to process what's going on when you're not playing it, because everything's in motion all of the time. But it's easy to get used to. Movement is not all that different to other brawlers.

The game was largely ignored by critics, with only 5 reviews available on metacritic. But on Steam its player reviews are 'very positive'. Plus, I recommend it, it's a cool game.

Last edited:

Alive2007

Aug 21, 2019
The only people I have seen talk about this game are hardcore fans of the Beat 'em up genre and they all praised the game quite a bit.

Picked it up a few weeks ago and haven't tried it yet but that's about to change :p

thanks for the reminder OP

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Love this game! Gets hard pretty early on haha I'm not good enough at the genre to put a lot of time into it at once but man it charms me every time I boot it up.

Yeah for sure, it gets quite challenging by the second area.

My tip for bosses is to use the boomerang and space out your attacks so that it rotates inside of them before returning. That way you can get like, 5-10 hits on one item usage! Also, if it's too tough then you can also equip 'easy mode' badges from the shop. They reduce the damage you take but stop you from getting S ranks.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
It has a demo on Switch and I haven't played it, but we had some friends over a few weeks ago and the demo occupied their 10 and 7 year old for about 2 hours so the adults could visit.

I should probably buy the full version to pay the developers for the babysitting... 😂

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It has a demo on Switch and I haven't played it, but we had some friends over a few weeks ago and the demo occupied their 10 and 7 year old for about 2 hours so the adults could visit.

I should probably buy the full version to pay the developers for the babysitting... 😂

$0.99 is some cheap babysitting.

I found the game quite addictive too though. I bought it today, alongside Risk of Rain 2, Slay the Spire and Mark of the Ninja Remastered and I booted up Ninjin first, haven't been able to put it down since.

5 hours in and I'm on level 3-1, the full game has a fair bit of comment l content.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
+1 to this praise parade. That price is insulting when I think of how fun and unique the game feels in terms of aesthetic, tweaks to shmup mechanics, and how story is woven in. Don't sleep on that price.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are two players the maximum? Might give this a purchase so we can play it in the background on Christmas day.