• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Haven't played yet, but it's interesting reading through these impressions. Sounds like there are some definite kinks to iron out but a potential for fun.

Oct 25, 2017
The game doesn't explain its free to play mechanics at all. I have no idea how the cards, medals, or tiers work. Why are level and tier separate? What does levelling up do? Also, there are daily goals, but I can't seem to complete any of them. Do you need to buy the battle pass?

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
To everyone who's saying it's trash or that the combat is brainless button mashing mixed with luck based clashes: I can easily see why you think this considering the game does little to explain itself. I'll try to break down the less obvious mechanics in one simple post for you.

First off, you have three different types of attacks. By mashing ZR, you're actually only using your normal attack. If you hold the analog stick to the left/right or down while you attack, you can perform back and wide attacks. Doorman gave a very good explanation of how these are visually represented and why/when you should use them, so I'll borrow from their post and tweak the terminology a bit to match the game's:

Most people online right now are just going to be brainlessly mashing ZR, meaning you can beat them by doing lots of back attacks (again, performed by holding left/right while you press ZR). You can also block attacks by holding ZL, which blows a bubble in front of you that acts as a shield, as well as press L to dash out of the way at the cost of one S-Energy.

Now, when you attack someone and you both hit each other simultaneously with the same attack, OR one of you presses ZL to spend five S-Energy and perform a parry during a combo, you will get into a clash where you both have to press a direction on the stick. This works just like your normal attacks: left/right beats up, down beats left/right, up beats down. If you both press the same direction, you'll try again until someone wins*. If you lose, black scribbles will appear and you'll be open to a big combo from the enemy. If you win, stars will appear instead and you'll be the one able to do a big combo. Two important things to note:

1. You'll notice I put an asterisk next to what happens if you press the same direction. That's because if you've crafted a big weapon (which you can do by acquiring eight S-Energy and pressing ZL+A), you will beat an opponent's smaller weapon even if you both press the same direction. If you have a big weapon, you're at a huge advantage during a clash.

2. If you don't fancy your chances of winning the parry clash (for example, if the other player has a bigger weapon), you can also dodge out of it by pressing L to dash away. Again, this costs one S-Energy, so if you don't have enough it won't work.

In addition to all this, you can do a break attack by pressing R. If someone is parrying, press R instead to do a break attack and you will completely bust through their parry and get a free combo off them in addition to breaking their weapon and preventing them from being able to attack until they craft a new one. Right now, pretty much everyone is going to hit ZL the second you start to combo them, so you can get some easy kills by predicting the parry and doing a weapon break. If they're blocking with a gum bubble, you can also do a break attack to bust their bubble and trap them in it for a brief amount of time. The downside to the break attack is that unlike the rock-paper-scissors system of normal attacks, it takes no precedence over anything besides parries and guards so it's easily beaten by any other attack.

There are probably a couple other bits of minutiae I could mention, but hopefully this gives anyone who's a little confused a good understanding of the basics.

Thanks for this, it's helpful!

Hope it's already in the OP šŸ˜

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Ok lvl17 right now online and played a lot of games and i still don't think the combat is that good. Whether you like it or not, you're gonna be in a parry battle and hope you just get lucky and win it. It's not even that fun of a rock paper scissors thing too. Just hope you pressed the right button and see it play through. If you lose it? You're most likely dead. It's also very button mashy.

The ending points, while I think kinda fair, is kinda lame when a person with kills can just basically jump rank quite a lot when they're at the bottom. You're kinda screwed if you don't get either bonus points.

The worst is the camera and aiming system. It just random decides to lock on to someone so when I use the Y boost, it just rushes an opponent that's way far to the side of the screen. The camera is just all over the place too and kinda really confusing especially in fights.

I read that big chunk of text explaining the battle system in this thread and kinda got the mechanics but I'll spend a bit more time with it but so far it's just ok.

Also what's up with the game yelling random Japanese things like sushi, tempura, karaoke, etc.

Last edited:

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
TFW it is more reliable to just dodge out of parries when you have the meter to than to actually engage with the mechanic.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
This will be a great game.... a year from now. I can see a great game in it, but it just misses the mark. It might have been a better game as a single-player paid game with an okay multiplayer attached. Instead, the multiplayer is the focus and it needs a lot of work. Its main appeal is in it's cartoony, colorful world.

I played this at E3 two or three years ago and it was just okay then. What have they been doing with all that time?

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Found a Discord group and I've been playing this for hours. Definitely getting the battle pass later.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
So some of the equipment is limited time use? Using the yellow version of the scroll looking weapon and it's saying it's a consumable

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
So some of the equipment is limited time use? Using the yellow version of the scroll looking weapon and it's saying it's a consumable
Alternate colors for the weapons use up consumable ninja gum, yes. You usually get one or two pieces of random gum after every match, or you can buy some using Jala (lol) from the gumball machine in the shop. The gumball machine gives you ten draws for a dollar, mostly gum but there's also a special outfit you have a rare chance to get from it as well.

Just speaking for myself, the entire gum and weapon coloring system seems entirely not worth bothering with at all. If you really wanna spend money on the game, the Ninjala Pass for the season is way more worth it not just for the cosmetics but for all the extra Jala earned and the medal bonuses you can use for loadout progression and customization with the shinobi cards.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I came to ask the same question about the consumable gum. I don't mind putting money into a F2P that I enjoy, but no way would I pay for a one-time use cosmetic. smh

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Ok lvl17 right now online and played a lot of games and i still don't think the combat is that good. Whether you like it or not, you're gonna be in a parry battle and hope you just get lucky and win it. It's not even that fun of a rock paper scissors thing too. Just hope you pressed the right button and see it play through. If you lose it? You're most likely dead. It's also very button mashy.

The ending points, while I think kinda fair, is kinda lame when a person with kills can just basically jump rank quite a lot when they're at the bottom. You're kinda screwed if you don't get either bonus points.

The worst is the camera and aiming system. It just random decides to lock on to someone so when I use the Y boost, it just rushes an opponent that's way far to the side of the screen. The camera is just all over the place too and kinda really confusing especially in fights.

I read that big chunk of text explaining the battle system in this thread and kinda got the mechanics but I'll spend a bit more time with it but so far it's just ok.

Also what's up with the game yelling random Japanese things like sushi, tempura, karaoke, etc.
I think there are some options for camera and aiming in the settings

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Launch Day gift: 100 Jala
1m Download gift: 100 Jala
Free Tier Pass rewards: 200 Jala
1-Time Discounted Jala Pack: 500 Jala for $1

Total: 900 Jala
Required for the Season Pass: 950 Jala

Devs did the math. The minimum top-up afterwards is $10 for the shortage of only 50 cents! But since the pass pays itself forward, that's fine.
The Season 1 ultimate (clothing) rewards are pretty gendered, huh. Everything after lvl90's a bit girly, especially the lv100 outfit. Is 'Kunoichi' the S1 theme?

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are some options for camera and aiming in the settings

I think I have those on the correct settings already but I'll give it another look. Had one fight not too long ago where it suddenly changed targets while I was fighting someone and just ended up killing me šŸ˜’

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Being able to dash out of a parry makes you and your opponent look dumb for wasting energy on it.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I think I have those on the correct settings already but I'll give it another look. Had one fight not too long ago where it suddenly changed targets while I was fighting someone and just ended up killing me šŸ˜’
You can choose between automatic or manual camera in options.

Press the right analog stick (R3?) to lock on the nearest target. Press again to un-lock it.
Press the left stick to center camera.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Still 0 Jala over here. Are those redemption-jalas only credited to us players or what's the deal here :D

edit oh you have to open messages, it's 200 now.

Did _anyone_ get any sort of free cosmetics yet? Not counting the stupid weapon skins.

CloverNotes

Oct 25, 2017
I used jala on the gum ball machine not knowing it was only weapon skins... So can you buy the tier rewards/ninjala pass out right with money or do you need Jala?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Still 0 Jala over here. Are those redemption-jalas only credited to us players or what's the deal here :D

edit oh you have to open messages, it's 200 now.

Did _anyone_ get any sort of free cosmetics yet? Not counting the stupid weapon skins.
So far the only free outfit for your character is a face mask at tier 20.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Is there an option in the menu/somewhere to have the text in the story mode's comics show instantly?

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how I'm feeling about this after a few matches... Lag is a big problem a lot.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Tried play one game and I had no idea what was going on. The parry system is nonsense and for some reason I was completely unable to make gum weapons by pushing the left trigger and A at the same time... it just didn't work. Honestly a shame cuz they really nailed the presentation.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Played that city stage a few times now and I feel like it just highlights the issues even more especially the camera. It's just way too unreliable to see anything and you'll probably get flanked from who knows where. It's so hard to find people too and when you do, it'll probably be too late

Stun locks are the worst too. Can go from full health to nothing and just watch yourself do nothing

Last edited:

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
Is there an option in the menu/somewhere to have the text in the story mode's comics show instantly?
I don't think so, not in your first playthrough at least.
If you replay it after beating it once to experience hard mode or to get all the gold trophies you can skip cutscenes entirely.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Shoutouts to the guy Wolfe on the enemy team whose lag allowed him to get away with literally whatever he wanted. Beat him in a clash and start to hit him...suddenly I die to an Ippon because he activated his warp strike and killed me while he was in the middle of getting hit. Strike at him later and he just walks away from it like nothing happens. We were literally playing in alternate universes, except his was the one that counted for score.

Endlessly frustrating. I've been giving this game a lot of benefit of the doubt over time but this combined with rampant connection problems making it functionally impossible for my group of friends to team up for more than one match at a time without needing to disband and restart the whole party might finally drive me away from investing any more time (and certainly no money) into this.

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
The game is terrible at explaining anything to the player, I spent half of the night to figure out how to play with a friend.

That said, once you get past the unresponsive and confusing menus, I had a lot of fun brawling around, got the Ippon Master prize over and over just with simple tactics.

I'll probably buy the singleplayer just to support the developer, anyone played it yet to share impressions/length?

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, played a couple of games tonight and Im not convinced. Its not bad exactly, it just does a lot of bad things.

Combat feels really bad most of the time, its unfortunate.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Count me as another person who thinks the stun lock in this game is absurdly punishing. It's so obnoxious and demoralizing to get hit once by an opponent while you're at full health and just have to sit there and watch them do their combo on you until you die pathetically. If I'm getting stuck in zero-to-death combos every single time I take a hit then what's even the point of having a health bar? It definitely feels like you should be able to jump/dash out of stun a lot sooner than you currently can.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
IIRC you should be able to defend after getting hit as long as your stamina meter isn't empty.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's just not a fun game. The whole premise banks on having good combat, that's the whole point of the game and it's absolute ass.

It's too bad because I feel they really nailed that Splatoon-like vibe with the colorful presentation and it has some cool and unique ideas with the gum system, too.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
I like this game a lot. Once you figured out all the options, the combat is actually pretty solid

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sound like it's been sent to die, i saw absolutely no publicity for it except the open beta (that was open for an hour -_- ) a couple months ago

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Count me as another person who thinks the stun lock in this game is absurdly punishing. It's so obnoxious and demoralizing to get hit once by an opponent while you're at full health and just have to sit there and watch them do their combo on you until you die pathetically. If I'm getting stuck in zero-to-death combos every single time I take a hit then what's even the point of having a health bar? It definitely feels like you should be able to jump/dash out of stun a lot sooner than you currently can.
If you have enough S-energy, you can press ZL to "Burst" while getting hit with a combo. You will go into the rock paper scissors thing.

Even if you don't have S-energy, the first Card you have equipped by default gives you an extra free Burst. (one per spawn).

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I checked the rankings and the top 10 players either have a yo-yo or hammer which I suspected were OP when I faced them. I tried using the yo-yo and my first match with it came in 1st place. lol

I found it much easier to use than the starting katana which is ass. Still don't really like the combat. Like others have said the stun locks are just bad, forced to burst which leads to RNG or them pressing R to punish, and overall the combat just doesn't really feel that fluid. One tip I do have is go into the options and max out the camera speed controls. Makes it much faster so it's easier to look around and spot flanks and stuff.

Another thing I dislike is the shop stuff. It's basically a checklist of what Fortnite does. I understand the game is free to download but it's absurd the norm for costumes and skins nowadays is $20. You really gonna charge me a $1 each time I pull the gacha for a 5% chance for an outfit? Stuff like this is a red flag because Gung Ho came out swinging with their Jala game but released a half baked titled tied to it. It's egregious it launched with only 2 maps. TWO MAPS. Barely had a beta to fix anything. Lack of explanations for anything. I mean the beginning videos are literally played in a browser and not within the game and just gives it a cheap feel.

Oct 25, 2017
I keep getting first place, and I don't think it's because I'm good at the game. The tutorial is so bad that no one knows how to play. Focus on drones and you will do pretty well.

I'll probably buy the singleplayer just to support the developer, anyone played it yet to share impressions/length?

I'm happy I didn't pay $10 for it because it's not good, and it takes place almost entirely in the city map from multiplayer. The only bright spot is the boss, but everything before that is very tedious, especially the stealth level. It's also extremely short (definitely less than an hour long), but I cannot imagine wanting to play it for an extended period.

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
I'm happy I didn't pay $10 for it because it's not good, and it takes place almost entirely in the city map from multiplayer. The only bright spot is the boss, but everything before that is very tedious, especially the stealth level. It's also extremely short (definitely less than an hour long), but I cannot imagine wanting to play it for an extended period.

Well that's disappointing to hear, guess I'll pass then. Maybe I'll buy some cheap Jala just once to give these guys some change and that's it.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I think I give up after giving it a ton of chances (lvl28 right now). The combat is just bad, and the camera and aiming is awful. I thought there would be more mind games like oh, a person would most likely press this when doing a parry battle, but realized it's just not going to work and really all luck based. The stun locks are bad, and getting one shot is really frustrating. Getting stunned from that one electricity hammer is annoying since you literally can't move for like a few seconds then some other people just flank you. Good luck getting into a fight with more than one other person though cause nothing will go right in that. Everyone will just die and while you're mashing ZR and hoping you win the rock, paper, scissors parry battle (spoiler you probably wont unless you're lucky).

The yo-yo seems to be kinda broken for stun locking someone since you'll be far away/slow enough enough to hit them without them activating the parry battle (though not 100% guaranteed). Although I can't really determine that for sure but I noticed that when using the yoyo and it was easy to just kill someone literally just hitting them from a distance. People with yoyos also did that to me for me to try and experiment.

The hammer is really strong (and also pretty slow) so good luck losing in a parry battle and just watch your health drain really quick.

The city level (although admittedly I didn't play a lot) isn't fun since it's so hard to find the drones + people. It definitely is a cool looking area though.

Scoring is pretty bad too and only really benefits the people at the top and hoping you somehow Nippon killed enough people to get the 1000+ points in the end. Chances are if you're a the top when the game ends, you'll probably get the bonus points so everyone a the bottom is already done and the top player just gets pushed out every further. I've seen it a few times where a person in 3rd or lower gets first because of bonus points but it's not even exciting to see that happen.

Anyway, pretty sure I'm out unless they fix that combat.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like I've found my niche with the Iron Noise. Being able to break drones quickly and disrupt enemies in skirmishes with the soundwave stun makes me really useful on a team.

Also having played more of Eagle City, I kinda like it but it feels a little too spacious for 8 players. Maybe it's different in Battle Royale since I don't think I've ever played it in that mode, but in Team Battle it seems like every drone is on a rooftop or the middle road which gives you no incentive to engage with the entire lower portion of the map.

If you have enough S-energy, you can press ZL to "Burst" while getting hit with a combo. You will go into the rock paper scissors thing.

Even if you don't have S-energy, the first Card you have equipped by default gives you an extra free Burst. (one per spawn).

I know about the burst, but it feels weird for a guessing game to be your sole defensive mechanic. Why not just have it function like a normal parry in any other fighting game? The RPS clashing stuff should be reserved for when two identical attacks connect. It's like they intended the game to be appealing to all ages but then realized it was too hardcore for kids, so instead of toning it down they just made randomness a huge part of the combat system in an attempt to put everyone on equal ground.