• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
What a mixed message. It's ok on stream or with friends but not on twitter or facebook etc?

Just be a better person all round, it's not difficult. Ninja you can do better than this.

Context counts here. He said if you die and it irritates you, that's fine, it's feels bad to lose.
He's talking about going on content channels and making a negative video for the sake of making a negative video.

I don't watch him, but he's not wrong here.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
....he aint wrong tbh, hell I really did what he describes in the vid as recent as today without even thinking. I mean sure its Ninja and people already have enough (good and bad) reasons to automatically meme him and whatever he says into oblivion, but I do think he has a good point here. Still, we need a little negativity from time to time, keep the feet on the ground, but also realize that heck, this is enthusiast hobby, gotta take a step back and look at what youre doing, maybe smell the roses a little I dunno.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting something shitty but there's nothing wrong with what he's saying here.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
its the fake Anger like skill up or Angry Joe that gets to me. i always enjoy Easy A for reviews because i find them genuine and they dont dwell too much on bad games. they move on quick.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
That reminds of the latest video by Patrick H Wilhelms. In it, he says that Youtube rewards only the loudest and the extremist. Art criticism need to escapes the duality Masterpiece/Shit.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's the exact thing he speaks against. And of course Era will start their rage machine agains him.
And yet... the thread is happening in a way that shows "Era" isn't this thing.

Why do you people like to posture so much above this place? Why are you even here if that's how you feel....

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really care about or watch Ninja, but he is correct in this. I don't really see how him not being perfect in the past invalidates his viewpoint on something that is a big problem in "gamer culture".

Some people on this site is exhausting sometimes, oh it's a Ninja(or insert other thing) thread? First reply: DOESNT PLAY WITH WOMEEEEEEEN!
Does he still bully anyone or avoid playing with women? If not, then why still only focus on that?

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree. Not sure why we need to rag on the guy for saying something positive.

It's really so pathetic. I really don't know much about the guy but having watched the clip, he's right. His message is professional and streamers or whoever would do well to remember they have a lot of influence.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not to pick on you in particular, but why do people so often feel the need to qualify their statements in this way? You see it all the time, often in much more serious threads. I always find it a bit strange.
It's not very strange when Ninja's past behaviour has been something that pisses a lot of people off. Statements like that are fine, they say "I don't support this person in general, but I have to agree with this" which is a perfectly valid statement to make.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Particularly key is when he said, "Don't just say this game fking sucks."

Explain why you don't like the game. Don't just drop hot takes.

Dlacy13g

Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
The irony of this topic post is it's a message posting in a forum that, let's face it, can be absolutely brutal and somewhat toxic on a regular basis. ...just find it funny reading the thread reactions.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I don't see the problem with the base premise. Good criticism should absolutely be constructive.

The issue is that too many people love dismissing it or the person making the criticism as negative, nonconstructive or in bad faith despite offering arguments to back their criticism.

This is however something I won't attribute to all negative responses I see to something. To some, it does really apply, for others however I do feel they're wrongfully dismissed.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he's right about this. There are way too many YouTube creators encouraging people to be absolute assholes about everything. Having some positivity about gaming is a good thing. What's the point of having gaming as a hobby if all you are going to do is be angry all damn time.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
its the fake Anger like skill up or Angry Joe that gets to me. i always enjoy Easy A for reviews because i find them genuine and they dont dwell too much on bad games. they move on quick.

Yeah, I've been getting weary of SkillUp's constant tweets about the games and entertainment stuff he dislikes.

"OMG, its so bad it makes you wonder how could they make it so bad"

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think in some sense he is right. I have seen this happen around the latest Modern Warfare game. Lots of YouTube creators commenting on rumors, speculation, and conspiracies that are completely unfounded and giving that stuff unnecessary credence. I think anyone in the public eye talking about games in a critical way needs to be responsible about it.

But I mean if you think something sucks it's okay to say that. But you lend more weight to your arguments when you can eloquently explain why it sucks.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
It doesn't really matter how AJ explains himself because his approach has harbored a terrible community of gamers that follow him regardless. And even then, AJ isn't one to explain his points very well to begin with. He is the furthest from being constructive.
Totally disagree lol. AJ is actually one that always backs up his claims or arguments. I have a feeling those that perceive him a certain way don't even watch his stuff closely enough to make a proper impression.

Dude is almost always on point. Some just can't handle it. He defnitely hates EA that is for sure lol.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Totally disagree lol. AJ is actually one that always backs up his claims or arguments. I have a feeling those that perceive him a certain way don't even watch his stuff closely enough to make a proper impression.

Dude is almost always on point. Some just can't handle it. He defnitely hates EA that is for sure lol.

I've watched him for years until I stopped because I ultimately found him to be terribly inarticulate, and combined with the whole angry schtick, it is not constructive criticism. Playing a persona like that never results in a constructive takeaway from a critique, and it most certainly doesn't help with creating an audience that isn't toxic, it all the more fuels those who are truly, irrationally angry.

Oct 25, 2017
Content creators who have made negativity a part of their brand are really the crux of this issue. I get that there are those where tweets, videos, or whatever get made in the service of negativity and the creator isn't normally a negative person, that's sort of its own thing, but for the people who have made ... millions of dollars off of being professionally angry, I think it's a problem. It's not *their* problem. They can't fix it; they're selling something people want. The fact that people want it I think is closer to the core of the issue.

There are a lot of people that want to see businesses and the people in them suffer for a variety of reasons. In a way, tweets, videos, messaging from 'influencers' or otherwise powerful people, feels like a voice for other people who have been mad at a game or company, and never had a way to express that in a meaningful context. It's prettying up a gross feeling in 'consumer rights', or the voice of the people.

Still, would it be nice for people who are quite literally in the business of anger to take a moment and remind the world that they are just a character? That while they're spouting off angrily at how awful something is, most of the time they're actually just thinking about lunch? Yeah, I wouldn't mind that.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
I've watched him for years until I stopped because I ultimately found him to be terribly inarticulate, and combined with the whole angry schtick, it is not constructive criticism. Playing a persona like that never results in a constructive takeaway from a critique, and it most certainly doesn't help with creating an audience that isn't toxic, it all the more fuels those who are truly, irrationally angry.
I have watched him since he moved on from Xbox leaning towards Playstation leaning. I have no idea when it was the last time you watched tbh.

I find him articulate enough tbh. His skits in between with OJ are fcking hilarious.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
He's right. You guys are going to have to come to terms with the fact that there are constructive ways to criticize things and in almost all cases, that brand of criticism is more likely to be received and impactful. Unless something you're critiquing is a scam or intentionally deceptive or predatorial, looking to hurt or attack, or can be rightly branded with an "-ist" at the end (racist, sexist, etc), your critique can always be well-worded and constructive because the creators undoubtedly meant no harm. This isn't to say don't be critical. Not at all. It's all about how you deliver that frustration. How you package your critiques.

Note: this doesn't really apply to creators who built their brand around being negative and funny. There is a place for that too.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

the way he presents those potentially valid points is such an act that it makes me question if he is just saying shit for views or if he is actually "angry".

he just does not come off as genuine.

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Last week Ninja was ragging on football kickers, so to see this video, which is diametrically opposite that moment, is very weird. Maybe he should let other people lead on this. As someone said earlier, "do as I say, not as I do" is very applicable here.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It doesn't really matter how AJ explains himself because his approach has harbored a terrible community of gamers that follow him regardless. And even then, AJ isn't one to explain his points very well to begin with. He is the furthest from being constructive.
AJ ha done more harm than good.

He now belongs in a certain category of recommends on youtube of guys in their 30s spitting venom about videogames.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, didn't listen, was too distracted by uneven hoodie string...

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
He has a lot of influence so good on him to try and steer the social media comments to be constructive.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
So is this just for like rage comments or actual criticism because if 'influencers' are not supposed share negative opinions about games and only postive, well what is the point in them? Like if the messages coming out after Mass Effect Andromeda and Alien Colonial Marines were all supportive and give it a shot guys why would I listen to anything they say?

Overly negative ok sure that's something the internet is being cursed with but true criticism, calling shit out as shit, shouldn't be stifled and gives the audience power and feeds back to the companies they have fucked up. Looks at Battlefront 2 for example. The audiences perception has shaped more warmley because EA reacted to what caused that negativity, rather than just the negativity itself.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Video game rage aimed at random strangers is not really the same thing as the subject he's raising.
Very true, also the video leaves out from the first clip that his reaction is to a homophobic slur. So I don't think Ninja is really the one who looks worse in that, or atleast we shouldn't blame him for it.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
His content isn't for me but I agree on this point. The channels that focus on anger and rage are not good for us. They do it due to a broken system that rewards such behavior. It's not good.

Exactly this.

What I've been saying on and on and on in the Star Wars thread.

Overblown negativity and acting like things "just suck" does nothing for no one.

I'm definitely not into streaming (or Ninja), it's not my type of thing, but he is right about this.

Respect art, respect artists. People put work and passion into the things they make. It's not cool to shit on that.

You wouldn't do it out in the real world, don't do it from behind a screen.