• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like DmC.
Never really understood the hate it got in some online circles

Well there's the gameplay lacking the mechanical complexity of DMC, the story being a really silly rif on They Live, an unlikable lead character, and Ninja Theory's open contempt for the DMC fanbase.

Rabid fans.

DmC is ok. Only someone disconnected from reality would think it's shit or even bad.

lmao how do you even come up with this?

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Tameems attitude really didn't help. There's a reason people laud the definitive edition over the original.

I still don't like it, definitive edition or not. Don't like the control scheme. The only reason I still give half a shit about it is because it has DMC written on it.

El sueño

Feb 4, 2018
Yeah. They changed Dante from a loveable hero that you can laugh at and have fun with to a dude bro who gets his dicked sucked by two women in the back seat of a car, then fucks him in his trailer while he drinks booze.

Makes sense of course. Dante is a gay cowboy that can't be cool (see infamous Ninja Theory GDC talk). But fucking women in the first 10 minutes of your game, now that IS A COOL DUDE!!!

If Dante were a girl, it would be a cool girl too. I don't see the issue. People is free to have sex with one, two o three persons if they all agree. Who cares. But that's not the topic. I liked their darker personification of the character. That's all, felt more grounded to the demonic setting of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
If Dante were a girl, it would be a cool girl too. I don't see the issue. People is free to have sex with one, two o three persons if they all agree. Who cares. But that's not the topic. I liked their darker personification of the character. That's all, felt more grounded to the demonic setting of the game.

But that's my whole point. In an attempt to make the character darker, and grittier, or more Christopher Nolan like, the brilliant writers immediately thought of "strip clubs, sex, blow jobs, and booze." That's how we make Dante cool right? Completely defeating the entire purpose of the character Kamiya always had. A super hero. A Red Oni. Dante was never meant to be relateable.

And the very last scene (speaking of a lack of character growth) - is also Dante grabbing Kat's ass. It's so fucking unbecoming in more ways than one it literally is a game defined by it's times (2012). That shit would get rightly crucified today.

If that's their idea of cool - nah, for fucks sake give me pizza eating dork Dante please.

EDIT: And for the record, even going back to gaf, I always defended this game at least from a gameplay perspective. It successfully simplified DMC3 and DMC4's combat mechanics into something that still has some depth, but that is also more immediately rewarding to casual gamers. In fact, I'm disappointed Capcom didn't learn from this for DMC5, and instead created a stupid ass auto-combo mode as a solution to cater to more casual gamers. When they should have just simplified it like what DmC did.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019
I didn't really like the change to Dante's character, I prefer the old one, it felt like DmC's Dante was trying way way WAY too hard, and I'm a bit too old for EXTREEEEME and Edgy stuff. That said, the game itself was alright. Not the best dmc but a solid game, which got ok to good reviews and pretty much everyone thinks it was ok, except for hardcore fans who have tried to make everyone believe it's a terrible game since 2013.

Nobody buys it.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, I thought DmC was amazing. I remember basically not caring about it in the run up to it's release and then Giant Bomb's 5/5 review of it totally sold me on it. Ended up agreeing with the review.

While i respect Brad's opinion he hasn't played any other DMC game other than DMC1. So the massive downgrade in combat depth and complexity compared to DMC3 and DMC4 might not have been as apparent to him as it might of been had he played those games. In fact during the podcast he specifically said that the reason he gave it five stars instead of four stars is because the visuals were amazing.

Now it was a nice looking game but i don't think that's why most people come to the DMC series for. Not to mention the visuals came at a cost as DmC ran at 30FPS instead of 60FPS like DMC1-4 did.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Well, my sticking point is the message of "this is what DMC is now". That alone soured me on the game itself. I bought it three times and liked it as an action game, but if that was what DMC would become then it would suck.
Just the perception of it replacing a beloved series made it worse to me.

I really don't get the "replacing" part of this. Like, on an emotional level.

I feel like nobody is owed new games from a series they like. Game series just end sometimes, even beloved ones. I had that happen numerous times with stuff I loved, and I find it really weird to get angry at that. It's not like this would have erased all the other DMC games you loved?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
While i respect Brad's opinion he hasn't played any other DMC game other than DMC1. So the massive downgrade in combat depth and complexity compared to DMC3 and DMC4 might not have been as apparent to him as it might of been had he played those games. In fact during the podcast he specifically said that the reason he gave it five stars instead of four stars is because the visuals were amazing.

Now it was a nice looking game but i don't think that's why most people come to the DMC series for. Not to mention the visuals came at a cost as DmC ran at 30FPS instead of 60FPS like DMC1-4 did.

I've played all the DMC games and I still think DmC is amazing personally. And I played on PC so it was 60fps for me. I can understand how 30fps would've been a bummer on console. Didn't realise.

Jun 25, 2019
I've played all the DMC games and I still think DmC is amazing personally. And I played on PC so it was 60fps for me. I can understand how 30fps would've been a bummer on console. Didn't realise.
You know that's a good point, I played it on PC as well, and I would've liked it less if it was at 30 FPS. Not enough to think it's bad but it would definitely be a worse game for it, 60 fps is very important in action games, for me.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the risk of coming off as unfairly dunking on DmC; given Ninja Theory's prior games like Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, is it feasible that the game would be as good as it is if it weren't based off the tried and true DMC formula?

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Dante is still his anime design in DMCV though...

Yeah, super anime DMC5 is. /s

code_vein_trial_edition_demo_ps4_and_xbox_one_1322732.jpg

tumblr_poasjsYicR1taarvc_400.gif

Spot the difference.

Well on second thought Dante is wielding a three headed ice nanchaku that morphs into a fire bo staff so maybe there isn't much of a difference.

EDIT: nevermind DMC5 is still pretty anime.

tumblr_pp08tee9xQ1y6ohtjo5_400.gifv

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
The problem with the premise of this thread is that DmC wasn't really let down by the core design decisions (elemental enemies aside), it was really a problem of implementation. The basics of the DMC formula were there, they were just implemented in semi-broken or janky ways. For instance, jump canceling was still possible but only really effectively with certain weapons and only if you inputted the cancel extremely slowly so the animation wouldn't bug out. Same deal with the style system. For whatever reason, it incentivised the player to spam the hardest hitting attacks repeatedly instead of switching between weapons like the previous games. It just kind of defeated the point. And then there was a whole lot of weird stuff like certain weapons bugging out and letting you quite literally fly.

DmC isn't even a fundamentally bad action game, especially in terms of visual design. I would take it over GoW any day. I also could not give less of a shit about the plot of a DMC game, so putting aside the extremely tasteful sniper abortion, I can't care all that much about DmC's plot. Even so, it is an objectively weaker game from a gameplay standpoint than its immediate predecessors.

There is also the marketing that surrounded DmC. For whatever reason, NT got a pass for their homophobic rhetoric - ostensibly because the gaming media decided that DMC gamerbros were a far worthier target.

ZSeibar

Nov 2, 2017
DmC was actually a good game and one of the best in the series, sorry OP.

That said you guys already got what you wanted, the reboot series was cancelled yet you still can't let go, lol.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
User Banned (3 days): Threadwhining, post count shaming, history of trolling
So we should put an age restriction for who gets to make threads on here, along with a higher post count right?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Dmc1 is still better than DmC I think. People weirdly underrated dmc1 now that it's old, but I bet its cause a lot of people run through it on normal. It gets a lot better on hard and dmd with all your moves unlocked and it still has the best level and enemy designs

4, well that's just a bad game. Good for one thing only (combat).

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
DmC was a pretty bad game all around. Granted, it seems a lot of its more glaring gameplay issues were ironed out for the Definitive Edition but that story? Yikes. Off the top of my head the grossest things were:

Giving the lady coprotagonist a lazy sexual abuse backstory for no real reason.
A lady demon saying the line "The world is your bitch and so am I" with a straight face.
Vergil performing an abortion via sniper rifle on said lady demon.

Considering how people on this forum usually are it's a little weird how this game gets a pass despite being kinda fucking gross at times. And that's without even bringing up them using that Brokeback Mountain pic to illustrate how lame old DMC was.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DmC was a pretty bad game all around. Granted, it seems a lot of its more glaring gameplay issues were ironed out for the Definitive Edition but that story? Yikes. Off the top of my head the grossest things were:

Giving the lady coprotagonist a lazy sexual abuse backstory for no real reason.
A lady demon saying the line "The world is your bitch and so am I" with a straight face.
Vergil performing an abortion via sniper rifle on said lady demon.

Considering how people on this forum usually are it's a little weird how this game gets a pass despite being kinda fucking gross at times. And that's without even bringing up that Brokeback Mountain pic to illustrate how lame old DMC was.

Pretty much how I feel too. I think it's because the only people left talking about DmC are the ones who are diehard fans of it and willing to overlook the problems, plus the roles have been reversed and now DmC is the unfairly maligned underdog thrown away for a return to DMC.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
What

If DmC is « shit » then so are DMC, DMC2, Vanilla DMC3 and DMC4

I haven't played 5 but DmC is better than every DMC game except for 3SE.

I doubt 5 will change my mind much though from what I've seen of it

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
I enjoyed DmC on 360. I enjoyed Definitive Edition much more. I also loved DMC 5. When it comes to the story, just like in case of bayonetta and MGR, it's good enough for me to keep enjoying the combat.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Tell that to OP who rants about a nearly seven year old game and names someone who worked on it. It's not like there's a history of targeted harassment against women and PoC in games or anything.
The identity of DmC's director is hardly a secret and the OP was obviously not calling for people to harass him over a seven-year-old game.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, I feel like if the OP had been a bit less conclusive with the title, we wouldn't have as many drive by posts claiming its the "best in the series" or that the "other games are shit."

There's a conversation to be had about the games merits and flaws, but nobody wants to have it or feels its way too late to bother (because they've discussed it ad nauseum already.)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tell that to OP who rants about a nearly seven year old game and names someone who worked on it. It's not like there's a history of targeted harassment against women and PoC in games or anything.

It is a forum to discuss video games, and nowhere in the OP did they call for harassment on the game's director, who I may add made himself public during the game's development.

Quit being a dick.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread like this pulls the weirdos who consider DmC as the best game in the series, don't give Capcom idea to greenlit DmC2.

I thought DmC was great and would be there day 1 for the sequel, at least if thet don't shelve the mainline because of ut

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
The person you replied to is a dick but there is no legit reason to harrass anyone especially just because of "he brought it on himself"
Of course not, but you can't expect bees to not sting after prodding the nest. This wasn't targeted harassment because he's a person of colour, this was pushback because he kept pushing the fanbase.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
DmC is one of those games people were ready to hate before it even came out.

The game is amazing, the marketing of NT sucks.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It never ceases to amuse me (and enlarge my ignore list) how some dudes will just jump at opportunity to hurl their BS at this game and everything surrounding it, a game they're supposed to be dismissive about, too. I guess it just pains these duders that people not only enjoyed it and it was praised by the press upon release, but still have fond memories of it and hold it in high regard in the series (not to mention how Itsuno has sang praises for it whenever he got the chance).

Edit: let me add that every once in a while I check some of these posters in completely unrelated threads and yet their BS remains, ooh-wee.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of weird to use this "but think of the harassed minorities" line in defense of a guy who, as the OP alludes to, made a Powerpoint presentation half dedicated to mocking gay and effeminate men.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Y'know how people sometimes say that "nobody will be talking about game X ten years from now!" as a kind of insult towards a game?

I get the feeling that's never going to be a problem for DmC.

PhatStarr

Oct 29, 2017
The passion which people dislike DmC is so bizarre to me. I think it's the best Devil May Cry game.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BAFTA award winning some would say.
It's not award winning sure, but fits perfectly with the 70s punk movement theme. It was anti authoritarian and anti-establishment and swearing and being foul in a time and place it was seen as wrong was part of it. I think that scene is imitating an old punk rock movie with a scene where two people, one a punk, end up just yelling that back and forth, I tried googling it but keep getting the Sex Pistols famous interview fil up results instead.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
DmC is a good easy to get into game that appeals to people that play once and move on, og DMC is a single player fighting game that appeals to people that go all in which is much more appreciated because there is 0 single player fighting games unlike action adventure games like DmC or darksiders.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
A lot of people played DMC5 on auto - assist mode. Not sure why. But then they use that as a basic to evaluate the combat. Congrats, you played on a setting intended for handicapped gamers and/or people who've never touched a video game.
SMH. It pains me to think of people doing that.

I enjoyed the combat in DmC better and that is on top of every single other aspect of the game being vastly superior to 5. I enjoyed DmC more and had more fun playing it. That's all that matters to me.
Wow, I don't know what to say.