• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
as for setting a benchmark in graphics, I disagree as it doesn't look better than TLOU2 which we've seen gameplay for.
Look, I understand that people like caping for ND, but their current-gen PS4 game limited by 6-year-old tech does not look better than this next-gen game running on next-gen hardware. Is ND an impressive studio? Yes, but this:
48797067381_f6d4f51050_o.0.jpg

does not compare to this:
3614962-hellblade.jpg

I could mention several reasons why - from more advanced lighting to more evolved photogrammetry to improvements in meshes, materials, and textures to subsurface scattering to evolutions in facial deformation software to more advanced and improved digital camera tools, etc. This is very much next-gen stuff that few current-gen games have full access to.

Hellblade 2 looks insane as well. Unbelievably so, that's the problem. Nobody is downplaying Hellblade or NT. We both know this this benchmark statement was prematurely made just like that first Uncharted 4 reveal trailer.
Er, dozens of people have been downplaying Hellblade and NT. I've been popping into this thread every few pages and I'm continually amused by comments of "this was just a live-action teaser" or "it was just some Blur studio CG crap" or "this was a pre-rendered video, it wasn't real time", etc. etc.

And for the upteenth time... Ninja Theory isn't Naughty Dog. Ninja Theory didn't put out the infamous UC4 trailer they ultimately downgraded. Ninja Theory hasn't pulled a Ubisoft and outright misled everyone with stuff like Watch_Dogs or The Division. Ninja Theory games have consistently achieved the fidelity they've been revealed at, and that's been the case for nearly 15 YEARS. If anyone DESERVES the benefit of the doubt, it's a studio that doesn't have a reputation for over-promising and under-delivering, one that has dozens upon dozens of videos documenting their process and progress online on Youtube and elsewhere. One with a reputation among journalists and magazine writers for being one of the most shockingly open and candid studios in the landscape.

IF Ninja Theory has a reputation for misleading players, everyone would have a point. Even one example. But... they don't. Their reputation is sterling. That can always change, but even all the doubters about Hellblade 2's trailer running in-game, in real-time were confirmed outright to be unfounded.

Now if only they could make good playing games
Thankfully, they've made several. Always enjoyed the gameplay of Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, DmC, and Hellblade. It's FAR deeper than initial impressions might imply and certainly not something I'd remotely call "bad" in any way, shape, or form, especially once I got a handle of its rhythm.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019
It looks amazing and had me start another play thru of Hellblade. As for some of the other responses about the game and not impressive or LA Noire is better...

giphy.gif

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
It looks fantastic, just as the first Hellblade looked fantastic in the animation department.
My first thought was that it looks like the DMC5 Cutscenens (which were also in-Engine but used higher Quality assets than the actual game) but with way better shaders and more subtle and expressive muscle movement. It also helps that senua has a lot of paint on her face which gives it extra texture.
I think its not unreasonable to see early next-gen ingame model&animation-quality to slightly surpass end-of-this-generation cutscene assets (from studios that have then ecessary ressources ofc).
I still doubt that the Hellblade 2 Trailer is 100% what we will get in actual gameplay, but i absolutely believe that we will see this quality in real-time cutscenens.

tumblr_pmk6f2ezYY1rb7mw3o1_400.gif

f01bbf4aa20b012f60317c5bc2e2ae65.gif

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Look, I understand that people like caping for ND, but their current-gen PS4 game limited by 6-year-old tech does not look better than this next-gen game running on next-gen hardware. Is ND an impressive studio? Yes, but this:

3614962-hellblade.jpg

I could mention several reasons why - from more advanced lighting to more evolved photogrammetry to improvements in meshes, materials, and textures to subsurface scattering to evolutions in facial deformation software to more advanced and improved digital camera tools, etc. This is very much next-gen stuff that few current-gen games have full access to.

Er, dozens of people have been downplaying Hellblade and NT. I've been popping into this thread every few pages and I'm continually amused by comments of "this was just a live-action teaser" or "it was just some Blur studio CG crap" or "this was a pre-rendered video, it wasn't real time", etc. etc.

And for the upteenth time... Ninja Theory isn't Naughty Dog. Ninja Theory didn't put out the infamous UC4 trailer they ultimately downgraded. Ninja Theory hasn't pulled a Ubisoft and outright misled everyone with stuff like Watch_Dogs or The Division. Ninja Theory games have consistently achieved the fidelity they've been revealed at, and that's been the case for nearly 15 YEARS. If anyone DESERVES the benefit of the doubt, it's a studio that doesn't have a reputation for over-promising and under-delivering, one that has dozens upon dozens of videos documenting their process and progress online on Youtube and elsewhere. One with a reputation among journalists and magazine writers for being one of the most shockingly open and candid studios in the landscape.

IF Ninja Theory has a reputation for misleading players, everyone would have a point. Even one example. But... they don't. Their reputation is sterling. That can always change, but even all the doubters about Hellblade 2's trailer running in-game, in real-time were confirmed outright to be unfounded.

Thankfully, they've made several. Always enjoyed the gameplay of Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, DmC, and Hellblade. It's FAR deeper than initial impressions might imply and certainly not something I'd remotely call "bad" in any way, shape, or form, especially once I got a handle of its rhythm.
NT always been dope devs to me, but if you didn't think a statement like for a year early trailer wasn't going to get any static, you were wrong.

like I posted before tlou2 is a bigger game with impressive animations throughout the the cast, not just the protagonist fighting guys with masks on, which makes it more impressive to me.

if Hellblade 2 is anything like the first game it'll be a condensed 6-7 hour technical showpiece. Which is still impressive graphically just not a benchmark that sets the standard for next gen. It just seems like y'all are setting yourselves up for this argument. The first next gen game to be shown sets some type of benchmark? Cmon..

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I've been hurt too many times. I want to believe it'll look this good, but you know downgrades from previews are almost guaranteed.
I mean, its a next gen game running on a system 10x more powerful than the current one, even if, at worst case scenario its downgraded, its still gonna look very very good much better than what you are used to
The reactions to this trailer have been weird to say the least

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The complexity of Nathan Drake in the final game is still a pretty far cry from the original trailer which they said was running in realtime on a ps4 and was 60fps. When the end result was that they had to downscale that complexity and halve the framerate to free up resources. On top of this TLOU2, based on the newest trailers at least, definitely isn't gonna match the original debut trailer. TLOU2 will look amazing, and Uncharted 4 and LL looks amazing, but ND doesn't have the consistency that NT has when it comes to delivering on the visuals seen in the earliest trailers. Quite the opposite, NT has never been afraid to show off early builds of their games that look straight up ugly compared to the final product and i'm not just talking about showing off grey box Hellblade.

EDIT:Lmao what the hell is that thumbnail.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
The complexity of Nathan Drake in the final game is still a pretty far cry from the original trailer which they said was running in realtime on a ps4 and was 60fps. When the end result was that they had to downscale that complexity and halve the framerate to free up resources. On top of this TLOU2, based on the newest trailers at least, definitely isn't gonna match the original debut trailer. TLOU2 will look amazing, and Uncharted 4 and LL looks amazing, but ND doesn't have the consistency that NT has when it comes to delivering on the visuals seen in the earliest trailers. Quite the opposite, NT has never been afraid to show off early builds of their games that look straight up ugly compared to the final product and i'm not just talking about showing off grey box Hellblade.

EDIT:Lmao what the hell is that thumbnail.

My point is if this can be achieved on a PS4, then the trailer we've seen seems plausable.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
as for setting a benchmark in graphics, I disagree as it doesn't look better than TLOU2 which we've seen gameplay for.

i love how in one comment, you're saying the Hellblade 2 trailer looked unbelievable and incredibly real, and in the other you're saying it doesn't look better than TLOU 2 gameplay.

which is it?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hellblade has unbelievable facial animation on PS4, so it's no real surprise that that Ninja Theory's first next-gen project will be a step up from that.

The first next-gen projects from Quantic Dream and Naughty Dog will also inevitably impress.

What will be interesting about Hellblade 2 is how they expand upon the scope of the project. The original worked around its budget limitations in intelligent ways, but it was obvious where it had to cut corners. That shouldn't happen with this sequel.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
i love how in one comment, you're saying the Hellblade 2 trailer looked unbelievable and incredibly real, and in the other you're saying it doesn't look better than TLOU 2 gameplay.

which is it?
I think Hellblade looks unreal. I've never experienced anything that looks that good so I'm taking that with a pinch. After playing the first Hellblade (day 1 mind you) I know it will be close to the game awards trailer..
Tlou2 I seen gameplay for. Running and jumping, enemies facial expressions, hiding under that car and shooting that lady in the face.. the whole store combat scene.. that's what is impressive to me.

and tbh, an comparison to tlou2, with Hellblade 2 is only going to help Hellblade 2. It's not as bad as some making it seem.

that's just my take on it. I'm getting HB2, don't know if it'll be day one as next year is crazy. But I will have it and a Sex

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
NT always been dope devs to me, but if you didn't think a statement like for a year early trailer wasn't going to get any static, you were wrong.
No, but the manner OF the discussion is a bit... disingenuous. A lot of dismissal and skepticism about what the trailer was doing - even AFTER it was confirmed it was doing it. That's still going on.

like I posted before tlou2 is a bigger game with impressive animations throughout the the cast, not just the protagonist fighting guys with masks on, which makes it more impressive to me.
We don't know how big Hellblade 2 is. Already, they've shown multiple villagers, Celtic warriors, and a much larger cast - all in-game - than the original title. I find it strange to say that Ninja Theory absolutely nailing graphics and animation on a few characters isn't comparable to Naughty Dog doing the same for what's actually typically a cast of a half-dozen in their games (honestly, their games MOSTLY have a few key players, and the NPC generic baddies aren't given nearly as much focus or detail, especially in-game).

if Hellblade 2 is anything like the first game it'll be a condensed 6-7 hour technical showpiece.
Funny enough, a lot of people call the Uncharted games the same thing. I can blow through one of those first-time in about 6-7 hours or less.

Which is still impressive graphically just not a benchmark that sets the standard for next gen. It just seems like y'all are setting yourselves up for this argument. The first next gen game to be shown sets some type of benchmark? Cmon..
Yes? I mean, it'll probably be on PC as well, and know what modern PCs are capable of currently. Until something else comes along to surpass it, it's the benchmark. Will something eventually surpass it? Yes. Is that day today? No, it's not.

Thus, in the present, Hellblade 2 is the benchmark for in-game, real-time graphics.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
It looks fantastic, just as the first Hellblade looked fantastic in the animation department.
My first thought was that it looks like the DMC5 Cutscenens (which were also in-Engine but used higher Quality assets than the actual game) but with way better shaders and more subtle and expressive muscle movement. It also helps that senua has a lot of paint on her face which gives it extra texture.
I think its not unreasonable to see early next-gen ingame model&animation-quality to slightly surpass end-of-this-generation cutscene assets (from studios that have then ecessary ressources ofc).
I still doubt that the Hellblade 2 Trailer is 100% what we will get in actual gameplay, but i absolutely believe that we will see this quality in real-time cutscenens.

tumblr_pmk6f2ezYY1rb7mw3o1_400.gif

f01bbf4aa20b012f60317c5bc2e2ae65.gif
Man. You just reminded me how stunning the character models look in DMC V.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
No, but the manner OF the discussion is a bit... disingenuous. A lot of dismissal and skepticism about what the trailer was doing - even AFTER it was confirmed it was doing it. That's still going on.

I swear, if MS announces another game with visuals this impressive, this site is going to be more unreadable than a two year-old's thank you letter to Grandma for the Christmas present.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
DMC 5 looks good but jesus if the artsyle is horrible and scope a bit limited

i think i have the issue with REngine games in general, overall they look realistic but somethings is always a bit off, with RE7 textures for example like you have fantastic looking surfaces and then ugly/poor with weird geometry at places.

Last edited:

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't understand why people are using DMC5 as a measuring stick, or any other RE engine game for that matter. I mean, those games look fine and all, but every skin looks like plastic, especially compared against stuff like GOW, Gears, Detroit, Days Gone and a bunch other games too. It really seems to struggle with nailing the different properties of materials, IMO.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I think it's too early to be having these comparisons.

Hellblade 2 is a year away. Part2 is coming next summer. We havent seen an actual PS5 1st party exclusive.

So right now Hellblade 2 as a showcase for next year is a good expectation of where things will get to. That makes me excited. I cant wait to se more of this game and what Sony 1st parties will come up with now that they will have 2x the power of a pro or whatever.

Nov 20, 2019
I've played it, calm your horses soldier. I'm just skeptical about early in-engine trailers of next gen games. It's like some of y'all have forgotten when this was supposed to be "real time"...

I don't trust anything until gameplay is shown. It's my policy this gen and it will be my policy going into next gen as well.

LOL! i agree but hellblade 2 is possible. Look at Death Stranding and look at hellblade on hardware 8 times as powerful

Nov 20, 2019
I honestly don't understand why people are using DMC5 as a measuring stick, or any other RE engine game for that matter. I mean, those games look fine and all, but every skin looks like plastic, especially compared against stuff like GOW, Gears, Detroit, Days Gone and a bunch other games too. It really seems to struggle with nailing the different properties of materials, IMO.

3614962-hellblade.jpg

Exactly! Next Gen Hardware Blows away PS4 and XBO

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
The fuck?

There is nothing wrong with how she looks, her gums included. It is her idiosyncratic visual signature and NT have rendered her absolutely faithfully. To make changes to her to "pretty her up" would be doing a disservice to that.

Furthermore, this is a poor, poor attitude that underscores the pervasive and pernicious beauty standards for female characters in game and women in general.
pfpfpfttt who's talking about beauty
I'm talking about animation.
people need to chill the heck out.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
why do i get the feeling that this trailer "in engine, cinematic" will be the next Killzone 2 CG trailer when we see the final game? i honestly hope we can achieve the graphics shown but until we see it running i'm skeptical.

that being said, Hellblade is one big looker even on my modest machine (1050gtx and a i5-8) so i have high hopes.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Sure jan. What a load of bollocks.
That's cool if you don't believe me...
I'm an animator ... it's my job to look at facial motion and make it as appealing as possible... I merely gave my opinion on the performance and how it looked from my point of view. None of which is setting impossible beauty standards on women.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017

cmon as good as gears 5 looks it does not look anywhere near realistic.

also another thing is with all these ND posts I think everyone is proving just how possible it is for Senua to look like that in real time. Looks like the next logical leap to me

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just say that it's a bit too soon to say that they have set a new benchmark. I mean....we haven't really seen much else for next gen stuff.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLoU2 and this seem pretty evenly matched. Of course Hellblade looks even better, but just in terms of animation quality.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In my head these hyperbole title threads comes out as Ninja Theory DESTROYS etc etc..

Let the game come out.
Let TLOU2 come out.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
In my head these hyperbole title threads comes out as Ninja Theory DESTROYS etc etc..
sounds like a personal problem.

Let the game come out.
Let TLOU2 come out.
I'm not sure that's necessary in a discussion about a game producing excellent visuals but limited to 2013 hardware features in comparison to next-gen visuals on 2020 hardware. Especially given the pedigree for animation and visual detail at both studios. It's silly to suggest otherwise. Now Hellblade 2 vs TLOU 3 is a discussion worth having.