• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
In-engine seems to be used as a marketing ploy at this point. The game will most likely not look that good. Still impressive looking.
All these high def demos we see on E3's are also in-engine I would assume and still look siginficantly different when they actually release.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
The facial animation looks too exaggerated that it's kinda annoying. However, ive always liked ninja theory's facial animations since heavenly sword.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Graphically it looks incredibly impressive, but animation wise I think it looks over acted, and not really any better than what we've seen before in other games, including Hellblade itself. My guess is they're using a similar facial capture technology.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
ND's animation team utilizes full performance capture that is cleaned up and iterated on just like NT's titles. The way people always prop ND up as a studio with a unique workflow as if every studio just uses raw mocap data reminds me of the time gamers discovered the concept of frustum culling due to this:
0RlreKB.gif

and attributed it as a unique aspect of Decima.

Difference is in character designed fictional characters where they use the initial mo-cap, but hand animated over it to exaggerate features of fictional model. Hellblade, Heavenly swords main characters are close to using 1:1 facial mo-cap and actors face for the respected character. As in in heavenly sword thats andy's face, same goes for some of the other main characters in the game.

Uncharted, especially last of us they use body-mocap and face mo cap as a base, then add hand animations to use for fictional character model. Like Joel is a 40-50 year old man, and looks nothing like troy baker. Same goes for Ellie, who is played by someone in their late 20's early 30's who in the first game played a 15 year old girl who had some similar features, but totally was fictional.

To me thats what im comparing too, while because of size of studio, they are using more to close a 1:1 ration of the motion capture of actress complete likeness. Which looks super impressive since when you use her actually scanned face, and add the capture to that it looks like a complete rendered real person.

While naughty dog uses theirs in a different way. They add capture to a character that may have some likeness, but is not a 1:1 ration of the actors/actress rendered face.

There's more hand animation done, and over exaggerations they have to do by hand to make the fictional character model look almost real.

Different approaches, naughty dog just does more hand animation to their characters to get the same to similar effect. While Ninja theory 100% uses the capture from actual actress in this title, and in some of their others. DMC, and Enslaved were some titles where there was a mix depending on the characters.

I actually was a animation major, went to GDC multiple years talked to multiple companies in mid 2000's. I don't need someone who didn't understand the difference in approaches that I was trying to get at and then insult me.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Difference is in character designed fictional characters where they use the initial mo-cap, but hand animated over it to exaggerate features of fictional model. Hellblade, Heavenly swords main characters are close to using 1:1 facial mo-cap and actors face for the respected character. As in in heavenly sword thats andy's face, same goes for some of the other main characters in the game.
This isn't how it works.
Uncharted, especially last of us they use body-mocap and face mo cap as a base, then add hand animations to use for fictional character model. Like Joel is a 40-50 year old man, and looks nothing like troy baker. Same goes for Ellie, who is played by someone in their late 20's early 30's who in the first game played a 15 year old girl who had some similar features, but totally was fictional.
You are literally describing the exact same thing that's done for characters with 1:1 likeness and again, appearance does not matter, the complexity of the rig does.
To me thats what im comparing too, while because of size of studio, they are using more to close a 1:1 ration of the motion capture of actress complete likeness. Which looks super impressive since when you use her actually scanned face, and add the capture to that it looks like a complete rendered real person.

While naughty dog uses theirs in a different way. They add capture to a character that may have some likeness, but is not a 1:1 ration of the actors/actress rendered face.

There's more hand animation done, and over exaggerations they have to do by hand to make the fictional character model look almost real.
You quite genuinely have no idea how any of this works. A digital double does not inherently mean less cleanup, and iterating

Different approaches, naughty dog just does more hand animation to their characters to get the same to similar effect. While Ninja theory 100% uses the capture from actual actress in this title, and in some of their others. DMC, and Enslaved were some titles where there was a mix depending on the characters.
None of the characters in DmC or Enslaved looked like the actors playing them past vague similarities in the former.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
This isn't how it works.

You are literally describing the exact same thing that's done for characters with 1:1 likeness and again, appearance does not matter, the complexity of the rig does.

You quite genuinely have no idea how any of this works. A digital double does not inherently mean less cleanup, and iterating

None of the characters in DmC or Enslaved looked like the actors playing them past vague similarities in the former.

If you are using the actors face, the more likely the capture will have less to have added animated pointed within the character mesh.

Enslaved and DMC I said we're the outliers.

You should probably read this on how they used photogrammetry .

And watch this:

Different approaches, different budgets.

Thread title should be about a new bar for photogrammetry.

Not animation.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If you are using the actors face, the more likely the capture will have less to have added animated pointed within the character mesh.

Everything but Hellblade, which features a single character with everyone else straight up being live action, are the outliers. The majority of NT's work includes a majority of stylized characters with Andy Serkis in Enslaved being the one exception. Literally one of the main points of the technology is that, given the quality of the rigs in huge budget or even smaller budget games, whether or not the performer looks exactly like the character is not a relevant factor. They still do a ton of work to bring the character to life. On top of this, this isn't even a factor, given that ND has had less and less stylized characters in their games. The only reason Joel, Ellie, and Tommy aren't as photorealistic as the ret of the cast who're all digital doubles is because they already existed. Which was again, already a thing in Uncharted 4.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Everything but Hellblade, which features a single character with everyone else straight up being live action, are the outliers. The majority of NT's work includes a majority of stylized characters with Andy Serkis in Enslaved being the one exception. Literally one of the main points of the technology is that, given the quality of the rigs in huge budget or even smaller budget games, whether or not the performer looks exactly like the character is not a relevant factor. They still do a ton of work to bring the character to life. On top of this, this isn't even a factor, given that ND has had less and less stylized characters in their games. The only reason Joel, Ellie, and Tommy aren't as photorealistic as the ret of the cast who're all digital doubles is because they already existed. Which was again, already a thing in Uncharted 4.

Read what I just posted. And Naughty Dog comes from 12 principles of Disney animation with Jak and Daxter series.

Also this:

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
For the skeptics, have you seen Senua's Sacrifice? With more CPU and GPU power, I fully believe that Ninja Theory of all people can deliver a game with next level animation on new more powerful hardware.

It wouldn't exactly be the first time either.
Of course but it's still not gameplay. Scripted stuff always looks better. NT is top heap when it comes to graphics, so I'm sure they'll reach this goal and surpass it really. But can't knock ppl for not being impressed until they see what it's like when you actually have a controller in your hand.
Either way: NT has to show up in the gameplay department. played all of their games, and usually just finish the story on YouTube. Really hope they have a gameplay focus that's just as high as story

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The face capture is seriously impressive for in game engine. The first game was already brilliant and this is an improvement, especially if it runs at native 4k.

Now if they can do it 4k @ 60fps, then that will be even more impressive.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Seems more about a striking performance by the actor? o.o I don't know if theres anything UC4s tech that couldn't replicate this for example

Maybe the teeth/gums?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Read what I just posted. And Naughty Dog comes from 12 principles of Disney animation with Jak and Daxter series.

Also this:

You're posting to stuff that is my religion my dude. ND isn't a special studio that does more hand animation because the characters don't look the same as the actor, (which again, is less of a thing considering the majority of the characters shown in TLOU2 look like the performer and/or are digital doubles of real people...).

Curious, how do you feel about games like gears of war 5 which has way more stylized characters than ND's current output? Or games like RE2, Injustice, MK, DMC5, where none of the characters share their performer's likeness. 🤔

Based on your logic all of those games require even more "hand animation" than an ND game.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
You're posting to stuff that is my religion my dude. ND isn't a special studio that does more hand animation because the characters don't look the same as the actor, (which again, is less of a thing considering the majority of the characters shown in TLOU2 look like the performer and/or are digital doubles of real people...).

Curious, how do you feel about games like gears of war 5 which has way more stylized characters than ND's current output? Or games like RE2, Injustice, MK, DMC5, where none of the characters share their performer's likeness. 🤔

Based on your logic all of those games require even more "hand animation" than an ND game.

So Joel is a 100% double to Troy Baker? What? I don't think you watched that GDC video.

I'm out.

You literally earlier insulted me, I told you with proof what the difference in studio approach was for how each was achieving for their respected titles.

The name of the thread is Ninja theory sets a new bar for animation, and their style specifically for this series is using photogrammetry. Which is not the same of what naughty dog does as a studio.

That video literally shows you in realtime with her capture being rendered in unreal engine and synced to her double.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Set a bar or not, Like someone said in this thread, theres is some impact in this scene that only a few (if any) games have been able to capture

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
In-engine seems to be used as a marketing ploy at this point. The game will most likely not look that good. Still impressive looking.

Ninja theory has a history of gorgeous games. So I wouldn't be surprised if the final gameplay matched these levels.
devs can't even showcase their craft without being accused of 'marketing' or 'PR'?

All these high def demos we see on E3's are also in-engine I would assume and still look siginficantly different when they actually release.

Most are CGI and nobody ever claimed they were 'in-engine, real-time visuals'.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Not animation.
I am just going to say that your line of argumentation is completely devaluing the amount of time actual animators and technical artists invest into cleaning up, rigging, and iterating on motion capture data.
It is 100% a form of animation.

Let alone the considerations of how you translate that data from a motion capture session onto a face made up of geometry - which just does not magically happen.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I am just going to say that your line of argumentation is completely devaluing the amount of time actual animators and technical artists invest into cleaning up, rigging, and iterating on motion capture data.

Let alone the considerations of how you translate that data from a motion capture session onto a face made up of geometry - which just does not magically happen.

I never said that. But my videos and articles show case the difference in approach.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
People never learn not to get über hyped and up sell IN-ENGINE carefully hand crafted and upscaled demos?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So Joel is a 100% double to Troy Baker? What? I don't think you watched that GDC video.
You clearly aren't reading my posts.

ND has had less and less stylized characters in their games. The only reason Joel, Ellie, and Tommy aren't as photorealistic as the ret of the cast who're all digital doubles is because they already existed
I'm out.

You literally earlier insulted me, I told you with proof what the difference in studio approach was for how each was achieving for their respected titles.

The name of the thread is Ninja theory sets a new bar for animation, and their style specifically for this series is using photogrammetry. Which is not the same of what naughty dog does as a studio.
You were an animation major and you're essentially arguing that NT just slaps the data onto a model without lots and lots of heavy adjustment and iteration. Like, are you even familiar with the results that ND gets before animators get into it, how they create characters, or the quality of their rigs?
SimpleBonyArrowworm-size_restricted.gif

Why are you arguing that ND needs to do more hand animation than other studios because the characters don't look like the actors?

Last edited:

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

You should probably read this on how they used photogrammetry .

And watch this:

Not animation.

You got no clue how animation works. Wow.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
You clearly aren't reading my posts.

You were an animation major and you're essentially arguing that NT just slaps the data onto a model without lots and lots of heavy adjustment and iteration. Like, are you even familiar with the results that ND gets before animators get into it or the quality of their rigs?
SimpleBonyArrowworm-size_restricted.gif

Why are you arguing that ND needs to do more hand animation than other studios because the characters don't look like the actors?

I said that in terms of studio size and budget they used different things. Ninja theory in the case of hellblade had super small team, small budget.

They used the actress by using photo captured performance and attach it to the digital double.

Not saying there isn't hand animation going on to sync, clean up adjust. But also the scope is much different while ND has a larger cast to adjust/animate across a larger game with more character actions) functions.

Different direction, approach, size if studio, tools available. All that.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Gameplay vs engine, I always think of Forza. During the race, it's gameplay. The victory lap is in engine. Both look good, but generally the engine looks a little better with all the bells and whistles.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I said that in terms of studio size and budget they used different things. Ninja theory in the case of hellblade had super small team, small budget.

They used the actress by using photo captured performance and attach it to the digital double.

Not saying there isn't hand animation going on to sync, clean up adjust. But also the scope is much different while ND has a larger cast to adjust/animate across a larger game with more character actions) functions.
ND had a larger cast to work with than Hellblade yes, thank you for this observation. However, that has no bearing on the amount of work that had to go into making Senua look so convincing. They don't just "attach" it to the digital double in the way that you're describing. Both studios have to do a metric fuckton of cleanup and iteration. Whether or not the character looks like the actor is not a factor and thus there's no point in pointing out that ND's games have some characters that aren't digital doubles of the people playing them, let alone such a factor that ND has this unique process where they require a more hands on approach than other studios.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
yes I know
I would have fixed it in post

lol

The fuck?

There is nothing wrong with how she looks, her gums included. It is her idiosyncratic visual signature and NT have rendered her absolutely faithfully. To make changes to her to "pretty her up" would be doing a disservice to that.

Furthermore, this is a poor, poor attitude that underscores the pervasive and pernicious beauty standards for female characters in game and women in general.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It looks great but i'm waiting for real gameplay. Should be great though. Next gen will be gorgeous.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

Ninja Theory co-founder Tameem Antoniades is "amazed" at the quality of Uncharted 2's animation, considering that Naughty Dog employ what he believes to be inefficient techniques.
Speaking during BAFTA presentation on the creation of Enslaved: Odyssey to the West last night, Antoniades said, "In Uncharted 2, [Naughty Dog] captured voice in a booth, then did motion capture to the voices."
"After that, they hand-animated the faces to match that. So you have three different people working on a single performance, which I don't think is the right way to do it if you want to create a believable character."
"I'm actually amazed at how good their scenes are, considering they've done it that way. I don't think that it's true to the performance of an actor."
Initially unhappy with the way the story was reported by SPOnG, Antoniades clarified his thoughts by saying, "I am a huge fan of Naughty dog in all aspects of development. I see them as the setting the gold standard in action adventure game in all areas including animation.
"However, I am a firm believer in performance capture (capturing face, body and voice simultaneously for multiple actors). It is a technique we pioneered in games with Heavenly Sword working alongside Weta Digital and gives, in my opinion, the most honest representation of human drama."

Read more https://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2...the-performance-of-an-actor-say-ninja-theory/

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
The fuck?

There is nothing wrong with how she looks, her gums included. It is her idiosyncratic visual signature and NT have rendered her absolutely faithfully. To make changes to her to "pretty her up" would be doing a disservice to that.

Furthermore, this is a poor, poor attitude that underscores the pervasive and pernicious beauty standards for female characters in game and women in general.
Yeah... that's just...

There's nothing to "fix". If you want to use an actor to play a character, then you, you know, use the actor.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Re2, Injustice, MK and DMC all used real actors for the models and then had them act out a few scenes for references to make it easier to match with the other mocap performer.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The fuck?

To expand on this, it was annoying and cringy AF when people kept shitting up Fallen Order threads because Debra Wilson's character didn't look as attractive as she does irl with makeup and that they messed up her and/or stylized despite it being a digital double. 🙄

People are already comparing Ninja Theory to Naughty Dog already ? lol. Maybe in 10 years time.
Hellblade already has more convincing animation quality in cinematics than both of ND's games this gen. Like, just the fact that NT had the confidence to conclude hellblade on
a nearly five minute long shot of Senua going through the five stages of grief
was a testament to the confidence they had in their team and technology and is honestly one of my favorite cinematics from any game ever for that reason. Hell, just the amout of times Senua looks directly at the camera without triggering uncanny valley is fantastic. A non spoiler example of just how convincing the first game looked.

The eyes in particular, darting around, the micro-expressions that convey so much in a scene where the character barely speaks, it's what made Senua one of the most convincing looking characters ever seen in a video game. Even Senua sitting there as still as a rock looks so absolutely convincing compared to other game characters.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

I'm out.

That video literally shows you in realtime with her capture being rendered in unreal engine and synced to her double.

You have no idea what you're talking about dude, just stop.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I cant believe people are really trying to compare TLOU2 and this trailer. LOL! There's not a single current game in this generation that can even touch this trailer at the moment. Give credit when credit is due. Some of you kats are legit embarrassing.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol instead of giving NT props for accomplishing a great feat people are having dumb comparisons and arguments.

Anytime someone compliments someone for being good at mo-cap and animation I can bet there's going to be a naughty dog gif

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Lol instead of giving NT props for accomplishing a great feat people are having dumb comparisons and arguments.

Anytime someone compliments someone for being good at mo-cap and animation I can bet there's going to be a naughty dog gif

100% props to NT. I didn't like any of their games until HB1 but this is ace.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The facial animation looks too exaggerated that it's kinda annoying. However, ive always liked ninja theory's facial animations since heavenly sword.
Lmao bruh go watch a video of someone speaking that devil music and come back to me. That's entirely what it would look like. This shit is facial motion capture, it just doesn't come out of thin air

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I cant believe people are really trying to compare TLOU2 and this trailer. LOL! There's not a single current game in this generation that can even touch this trailer at the moment. Give credit when credit is due. Some of you kats are legit embarrassing.

This is just as embarassing. In terms of visual fidelity, this looks a big step up from TLoU2. But in terms of cutscene animation? I wouldnt say so. The thing is I am still sceptical that ND will deliver the in game animation that they showed in the original trailer. That to me would be more impressive, since it would have to be responsive. In game play, while great, I don't think the animations in NT games match what ND does. Could change with this game, who knows. Of course, their in game animations are still pretty great.