• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
That looks fucking unbelievable. Ninja Theory is ridiculously underrated and have been since the heavenly sword days. Something about the trailer is just so creepy too. Love it.

Oct 28, 2017
Facial animation is not impressive to me. La noire nailed that 15 years ago. it's gameplay animation where we need disruption. That's where games suddenly become games again, all clunk and no realism.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
They're easier to view on mobile? I mean, geez, I didn't boot up the game, replay a boss section, and then record the encounter as a 4K gif...

You said yourself, you played it on PC. The game was jaw-droppingly beautiful and in many instances was near photo-realistic, and it was a BUDGET title.

Even on the Nintendo Switch, it's a stunner.
Cherry picked a little bit, the gameplay model of Senua looks real bad on switch. It only matches up when they use the cutscene model.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just started the first game and it might be one of the most atmospheric experiences. I mean the audio really carries it. It's disturbing and I was surprised by how uncomfortable it can feel.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Facial animation is not impressive to me. La noire nailed that 15 years ago. it's gameplay animation where we need disruption. That's where games suddenly become games again, all clunk and no realism.

Didn't LA Noire use video capturing for most of the facial animations and it was just an FMV overlay on the character faces...not exactly animation if so. Still the end result is similar.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You're still missing the point.

This game, even on Nintendo Switch, is ahead of the curve visually compared to even late-gen games releasing this year. It's not just that it looks good with downgrades; it's that it's still better than most games on a visual front.

My point is that I don't doubt that Hellblade 2 gameplay can look exactly like this in-engine footage, but until I see real gameplay, I will never truly believe.

Last edited:

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
So many people in here forget how impressive this game was on the 1.8TF PlayStation 4.

It's just being skeptical to a fault.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I fucking love that they showed such a dark game/trailer as the first game (unless we count Halo).

It really gets me excited how other next gen games will look.

Did anybody else think of RE4 a little bit when seeing it too? Imagine an RE4 remake that looks like that. *wipes sweat*

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given that we haven't seen actual gameplay, I can't support OP's opening statement.

Why? Because games like Assassin's Creed has "set the benchmark" in numerous times via numerous entries to the series Only for the actual gameplay to be completely different.. Shit, I remember at the start of this gen most were convinced that this was the next gen benchmark... Until gameplay hit.

So yeah, gameplay over target/in engine/cgi before we have that conversation.

Last edited:

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not really any news, they've been doing it ever since Heavenly Sword.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's my understanding that performance capture tech for games is well above what we are able to render in real time. This is the kind of stuff I'm really excited to see more of as far as next gen tech goes.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to hold off on that until i see someone playing the game with a controller. They say its in engine, and i want to believe them, but it looks so good that part of me is convinced that it is cg.
On a side note, i cant wait to see how capcom pushes the rE engine on these machines

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
As some others have stated, out of the whole XBOX family of studio's, it wouldn't surprise me if Ninja Theory deliver.

She looks fierce. Amazing work.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope Ninja Theory is also trying to improve the gameplay, the first Hellblade was one of the worst games I played this gen.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played the first game, but I followed a lot of the PC screenshots and videos for high end setups for that game and it is actually really beautiful with great animations already. I don't normally buy too much into the in engine stuff, but they did an insane job with a small team already graphically so I'm kind of expecting it to just look something similar to this considering the areas aren't like super open and its probably gunna target 30 fps lol. It will definitely have a different look in combat due to how the camera is going to be positioned and what you need to render, but I think during the prescripted stuff it will look very impressive even if not exactly the same here I don't expect it to be some far off thing at all. Just like with Last of Us II, I expected it to look as good as what they were showing or around that considering these super narrative driven games are very linear, have small counts of models on screen, and have very controlled preset scenes optimized for visual immersion. If this was some open world non linear Monster Hunter or GTA kind of game, I wouldn't believe it for a second lol.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Gameplay was the weak part of the first Hellblade.

I need to see some real gameplay.. motion capture in engine always looks amazing on most AAA games.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Looking at it again, I would even say there's nothing that really stands out about it. I would say Last of Us 2 is by far more impressive and unbelievable, because of the gameplay sections that were shown. I think it looks polished though, but there's a lot of hype infused in these opinions just for being next-gen.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at it again, I would even say there's nothing that really stands out about it. I would say Last of Us 2 is by far more impressive and unbelievable, because of the gameplay sections that were shown. I think it looks polished though, but there's a lot of hype infused in these opinions just for being next-gen.
The animations looked far better than TLoU 2, but it's hard to compare because we don't know how the actual gameplay will end up.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Not really any news, they've been doing it ever since Heavenly Sword.
this. again, you can tell who has and has not played a Ninja Theory game, and you can DEFINITELY tell who has and has not played Hellblade. On PC, specifically.

I hope Ninja Theory is also trying to improve the gameplay, the first Hellblade was one of the worst games I played this gen.
lol.

Given that we haven't seen actual gameplay, I can't support OP's opening statement.

Why? Because games like Assassin's Creed has "set the benchmark" in numerous times via numerous entries to the series Only for the actual gameplay to be completely different.. Shit, I remember at the start of this gen most were convinced that this was the next gen benchmark... Until gameplay hit.

So yeah, gameplay over target/in engine/cgi before we have that conversation.

Ninja Theory != Ubisoft or anyone else.

Go play Hellblade or watch the 4K PC video linked a page or two ago and report back on how much worry is actually warranted. They certainly deserve as much trust as someone like Naughty Dog does in this department. Maybe more. After seeing Hellblade in 4K/60+ on my PC, I have ever expectation that this game will look as it does here in terms of graphical fidelity. Gameplay we'll obviously have to see how that feels when we have some of it. A game can look like a new standard but not necessarily be great to play. Hellblade was fine to play but you could see how the budget limited the gameplay itself a bit. I expect a bigger budget from MS will result in even better gameplay.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gameplay was the weak part of the first Hellblade.

I need to see some real gameplay.. motion capture in engine always looks amazing on most AAA games.
That's the crazy thing; the original was astounding, but it wasn't really an AAA game. It was made on a limited budget with mostly a 20-person crew. They just were REALLY good at what they do.

They did not say that.

It was "in engine" and developed in mind for XSeX.
It's confirmed real time.
However, in our exclusive chat with Phil Spencer, we learned this footage was in-engine and running in real-time.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Some really dumbfounded impressions in here. This game looks absolutely incredible. Godly animations and seriously debating building a high end PC or grabbing a Series X to witness this.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Yeah, if you ignore that it looks pasted on to the model.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's a good sign that that we think that its CGI when it's not.

Imagine the possibilities

banter

Jan 12, 2018
If that is in-engine running in real time, that's mind blowing. I hope DF does a breakdown to show those who don't think it's a big step how big of a step it really is.
The pessimist in me is calling bull-shots but the optimist is eager to see how far it can be pushed as this is one of the first titles being shown and things generally leap quite a bit from the first titles shown.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
The first game has the best facial animation in any game ever as far as I'm concerned. Senua's Saga is going to melt faces.