• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
it's captured and probably adjusted with hand animations, like ND's faces.

but let's wait more concret showing, Hellblade 1 is already impressive and i do believe 2's it's gonna be up there too.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
When I watched the trailer this morning it made me feel really uncomfortable, it was extremely good animation. Seeing how good it was in the last game, I can see them living up to this.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
Looks really amazing. I was actually more impressed with the landscapes. Looked so incredibly lifelike. Can not wait to see what the next generation holds.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's a video. Of course it looks gorgeous. I'll comment on the animation when there's gameplay.

I thought exactly this when I first saw the reveal trailer of Hellblade 1. "Wow this game looks really cool, but I bet the actual game won't look nearly as good as what I'm seeing right now"

yeah, no. that game blew my mind after seeing actual gameplay. I genuinely belive Ninja Theory will deliver with Senua 2, with this bar that's been set from the reveal trailer.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a trailer, people seem to forget the infamous uncharted 4 trailer, while it might look close at release it will never look this good in gameplay.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
not hard to believe what can be achieved with facial capture, especially after death stranding

but i doubt the full game will look all the way like that, we'll see

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
The scary thing is the first game was made by just 20 people within NT. And that already looked stunning.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's insane how detailed it is. It's in engine and the gameplay videos are still pretty far away, having said that the fact this is even possible with the engine and their capture tech speaks volumes.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Let's wait and see what the actual gameplay/combat animation looks like before making these claims.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Yeap I agree. In terms of graphics this games looks amazing. But IMO Hellblade 1 is really boring so I don't expect a lot from this one.

I don't enjoy any Ninja Theory game to be honest.

But in terms of visual this one is really incredible.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
For the skeptics, have you seen Senua's Sacrifice? With more CPU and GPU power, I fully believe that Ninja Theory of all people can deliver a game with next level animation on new more powerful hardware.

It wouldn't exactly be the first time either.
this.

they are well known for their mo cap and animation since Heavenly Sword. Anything less than another benchmark effort would be uncharacteristic of their work. Anyone who has played Hellblade already knows there should be no doubt that the game will look like this. Hopefully a bigger budget will allow for an even bigger game. But if not, that's fine too. Hellblade as it was offered was one of the few games I will always remember from this generation. This will be worth having a Series X at launch for, just to say you were there when.

Yeap I agree. In terms of graphics this games looks amazing. But IMO Hellblade 1 is really boring so I don't expect a lot from this one.
Didn't play it with headphones did ya

It really makes a huge difference.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Finally, Agni's Philosophy tech demo from 6 years ago is beaten by next-gen tech.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't trust these kind of "in-engine" trailers. I'll wait to see some gameplay and other next gen games before I make that kind of proclamation.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, of course gameplay will not match this, but I'd love for next gen cutscenes to reach this level.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is running in-engine

Yes i know, but that can mean a number of things. In-Engine is a very vague statement. I have created a 360 Stereoscopic visualizations in Unreal Engine that were exported to image files and then composited because of hardware limitations. That is in a sense "In-Engine" but not real-time. Saying it was captured from real Xbox Hardware is also somewhat vague, but that seems to imply real-time.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer was incredible, their work on the previous game is fantastic, but let's, please, at least wait for the game to come out before making these claims. Jesus...

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Is was an insane trailer for me. This is how you present a new game and new gen.

NT has been doing amazing shit since day1. They did lots of good work on ps3 gen. MS made a smart move to purchase them because they are a team that I would say can make games like Sony's 1st party ones. They have that cinematic feel with rich story telling. Good for them.

Oct 27, 2017
Thought I read that it was running on Xbox hardware here on Era?
It`s in engine, not real time. Lots of cutscenes running in engine look like CGI on the ps4/xbo, so we should keep our expectations in check for Hellblade 2. The facial animation will obviously always be tied to cutscenes so I expect them to actually reach this level of fidelity. However, I'd be surprised if they manage to get those environments/terrain, water, effects and lighting running in real time gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I mean, of course gameplay will not match this, but I'd love for next gen cutscenes to reach this level.
You guys really, really should play Hellblade before commenting about their work. Like, you really should. Go play Hellblade, people. It was one of the most compelling and fascinating games of the generation, and its animation always looked like it was from a different generation.

People doubting Ninja Theory after Hellblade is something else.
They didn't play the game. The posts from people that didn't are so obvious it's almost frustrating.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Wait a second... People actually believe that this is how the final product's gameplay is going to look ?! Come on man, you can't be that dense.

Reminds me of that time when ND released the first 'in-engine' trailer for UC4 ... good times. I also have a bridge to sell you guys, it's in great condition too.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I would call it a new benchmark yet, when there are also current gen games that are equally as impressive in the animation department:

pjRJkQa.gif

The Last Of Us 2

Oct 31, 2017
You really know who hasn't played Hellblade as soon as they comment in threads like this, don't you?

For example.
I've played it, calm your horses soldier. I'm just skeptical about early in-engine trailers of next gen games. It's like some of y'all have forgotten when this was supposed to be "real time"...

I don't trust anything until gameplay is shown. It's my policy this gen and it will be my policy going into next gen as well.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It's unfortunate to highlight the animation specifically when it's the one thing in a cutscene that's probably entirely canned. The rendering fidelity deserves the attention from this vid... when we see the gameplay animation we can judge that. I'm sure it'll be great, but controlled/canned cutscene animations are not a showcase of game animation, anymore than they would be if the cutscene was indeed prerendered.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It`s in engine, not real time. Lots of cutscenes running in engine look like CGI on the ps4/xbo, so we should keep our expectations in check for Hellblade 2. The facial animation will obviously always be tied to cutscenes so I expect them to actually reach this level of fidelity. However, I'd be surprised if they manage to get those environments/terrain, water, effects and lighting running in real time gameplay.

So not captured from Xbox hardware according to you or is there a misinterpretation of the word "real time"? I call things like Gears 5s cinematics to be In-Engine and real time aka running at the proper frames that we see.