• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It has some good ideas which didn't end up in a good game. I'd rather the team move onto something else than spending their time on this one.

It probably would have been better off as a MOBA.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Loved the game and was happy with the additional content they did add. I'll play some matches tonight in honor! It's been awhile but I never had trouble finding matches, I think Game Pass meant it had/has a decent little playerbase on console.

The one thing that annoys me is that if any game was a good candidate for an artificial delay to Series X launch, it was this one. If they'd launched with ranked play, the additional characters, daily quests, more skins etc. and 120 FPS support, I think it would have landed a lot better. Ah well. Love Ninja Theory and excited for their next games.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I admire the attempt to do such unique designs, but the overall art style doesn't work, IMO. What I've heard and seen indicates that there were some good ideas conceptually, but it's good focused on teamwork and the margin for error is extremely small, if there's any kind of momentum on one side the match is basically already over.

Also, I think multiplayer-only games are way too much of a gamble for both devs and consumers - too much competition from massive names in the space, and without a single-player campaign (or bots) the game basically is unplayable if the population dries up.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
The lack of communication sucks but the game has no one playing it and seems to not be worth the devs efforts to continue on with it.

I mean, they will leave the servers on and still sell it for 30$. And they said they will continue to bug fix.
There are still a few thousand people playing the game it seems (driven by gamepass).

I'm okay with devs not wanting to work on a game anymore but giving the silent treatment to a community and then just slowly letting it die (when they could have said this was their plans back in... October) AND THEN say "we give up" (but we'll still sell the game) is messed up. This is a multiplayer game. It needs people. They should just make it f2p so it doesn't totally die on those who want to still play it.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif
giphy.gif

Eterno

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I had a great time with this game and did try to go back to it and invest some time about a couple months ago and it was impossible to find a game except for some very specific weekend evenings so I simply gave up. They don't have the player base to make the game enjoyable.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I always figured for games like this the important thing is attracting people with the characters, that's the Overwatch strategy, but damn there's not a single attractive character design in that line up lol.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
tbh it'd be really a waste or resource to keep supporting a multiplayer game with a really small playerbase, I just hope whatever they're doing next won't fall into obscurity like that again.

I'd say the art design for the characters is strong enough that they could literally reuse the same universe and assets to make an action adventure game with one of those individuals as the main protagonist but I wouldn't be surprised if they want to move on entirely and start fresh.

Jun 15, 2020
I wish they had tried to make some levels (like Battleborn), it could be a 3D beat 'em up with 4 players. Could be fun. Because the combat mechanics were solid. But you're not gonnna beat Overwatch at Overwatch's game.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get it's your thing now to just bring up DmC 2 no matter how little it has to do with the thread, but this really wasn't the thread to say "Nice".
I'm not really celebrating the end of support for Bleeding Edge, and I don't really think NT is in any trouble due to this as they have plenty of stuff in their pipeline. It's not like this was an announcement for ending the support for the game and laying off the team behind it.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried it and the tutorial already turned me off. The artstyle, characterd and presentation was just too edgy.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
Don't really understand what they were going for with this. It was clearly not what Ninja Theory is about as a studio.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Making this kind of game is so boom or bust (and more often bust). It must be such a stressful proposition for a developer. You can put a lot of work and effort into it and if it simply doesn't catch on its DOA in the blink of an eye.

deadkraken

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame, I really loved this game from launch.. think I logged more than 50 hours myself but deep inside I knew it was destined to bomb eventually. Reminds me of SMASH+GRAB by United Front Games (RIP) great concept and combat but harsh market.

Jul 25, 2020
Now here's a question. Clearly this game hasn't been the success they hoped if they aren't producing new content. But let's say Hellblade 2 doesn't perform to expectations. Are Ninja Theory under threat? Considering Microsoft bought Lionhead and made substantial investments in them, they were integral to the Microsoft Game Studios first party line-up, how many chances does a developer have before they end up like Lionhead? How quickly would they be required to develop content for Game Pass or how many chances will they get before it's called a day? I wonder.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Now here's a question. Clearly this game hasn't been the success they hoped if they aren't producing new content. But let's say Hellblade 2 doesn't perform to expectations. Are Ninja Theory under threat? Considering Microsoft bought Lionhead and made substantial investments in them, they were integral to the Microsoft Game Studios first party line-up, how many chances does a developer have before they end up like Lionhead? How quickly would they be required to develop content for Game Pass or how many chances will they get before it's called a day? I wonder.

Impossible question really. It's gonna differ from team to team and from project to project.

I would say it's unlikely that a small passion project like Bleeding Edge - that NT were already making pre-acquisition - developed by a skeleton team of like 10-25 devs was really bothering anyone's bottom line.

Jul 25, 2020
Impossible question really. It's gonna differ from team to team and from project to project.

I would say it's unlikely that a small passion project like Bleeding Edge - that NT were already making pre-acquisition - developed by a skeleton team of like 10-25 devs was really bothering anyone's bottom line.

It's interesting though isn't it? I mean in the long run we know that nobody is safe and despite the irony that Microsoft nearly caused both Ninja Theory and Double Fine to go out of business once upon a time, how are they measuring their developers? Shawn Layden pretty clearly stated that his approach was First, Best or Must. Whether Jim continues that philosophy remains to be seen.

But is it something like you get a crack at a major AAA title and if it doesn't work you're relegated to game pass titles? I mean there's much I don't understand about what Microsoft want to achieve, it's unreal.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
But is it something like you get a crack at a major AAA title and if it doesn't work you're relegated to game pass titles? I mean there's much I don't understand about what Microsoft want to achieve, it's unreal.

Every game MS make is a 'Game Pass title'. Halo is a Game Pass title, Bleeding Edge is a Game Pass title, Elder Scrolls VI will be a Game Pass title. You can't be 'relegated to making game pass titles'. If you're an Xbox Studios dev then you're making Game Pass titles.

I definitely just typed 'game pass title' too many times

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man just turn that whole shit off and be done with it.
Or they could just do what they're doing and leave the servers up for the (admittedly small number of) people who want to play?

Matt Booty has discussed how they have clauses to allow developers to become independent again of things don't work out. Their intent obviously isn't to have that happen, but it's there. They've also talked about how Mojang's "limited integration" model has taught them how to deal with their acquisitions.

Jul 25, 2020
Every game MS make is a 'Game Pass title'. Halo is a Game Pass title, Bleeding Edge is a Game Pass title, Elder Scrolls VI will be a Game Pass title. You can't be 'relegated to making game pass titles'. If you're an Xbox Studios dev then you're making Game Pass titles.

I definitely just typed 'game pass title' too many times

Too many times indeed, but out of necessity of course.

Don't get me wrong I understand that but surely they would have to look to redefine size and scope of their projects. I couldn't imagine they could have each studio working on a AAA game with a modern budget which we all know rocks into the hundreds of millions to release it on game pass day one. If that title isn't a success, do they simply write it off?

My concern is that they won't be able to snap up enough, fast enough, develop enough to truly make the service the quality that would grow to the kind of user base that Netflix has, which I believe is the ultimate goal. I feel like there's more risk and the cost vs profit would tip eventually and I don't think it would be in the favour of profit. I also think it might cause too many developers to have a reliance on the service which would in the long run prevent them from being able to focus efforts on other platforms, whether it be console or otherwise.

It doesn't make much sense to me having a game as big as HALO or Elder Scrolls VI come straight to game pass at the current install base.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Completely forgot about this game.
What I was going to say. Looked really interesting but a lot of the big PC games I had my eye on took a backseat when my PC died last year. I'm even more surprised that I basically saw nothing gameplay wise from any Let's Play channels during release. I thought videos on Valorant were light but BE took the cake. I'm still interested in playing it if it's staying online.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't make much sense to me having a game as big as HALO or Elder Scrolls VI come straight to game pass at the current install base.

Well it's happening... so we'll see how it goes I guess? Every Xbox Game Studios title is day one on Game Pass as of like three years ago. That's every Halo, Gears, Doom, Elder Scrolls, Forza, Fable, Wolfenstein, Psychonauts, etc etc game. That's where we are.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even that bad. It just got basically zero promo. Like, it's nothing particularly special or unique, but I didn't think the player base would drop off the way it has.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
I played like 15/20 and had fine with it. The first two weeks or so, bleeding edge became my go-to hero-shooter/thingy over rainbow six siege and overwatch.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I had legit fun with it but it also made me rage... Glad I 1000/1000 a while ago. Servers are still up so not like they are pulling the plug on the game. It was a good game to drop into Gamepass and they should make it free on Steam to keep numbers going as much as they can.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Understandable, but at the same time concerning that they didn't even give it a year. I expected more from a MS owned studio. Well at least servers are up, unlike some Sony games that get shut earlier than they should too.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
This is what I thought it would be when it was first rumored and I was hyped as hell. Then when it was announced I thought with the same combat director as DmC it'd be like Anarchy Reigns but they made something more like a moba instead.

So much this. When I first saw the project I thought "wow they're gonna make a fixed Anarchy Reigns!". Instead, they made Overwatch with melee characters.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I loved this game when it first released, probably put about 60 hours into it. the content just didn't come fast enough to keep it fresh. cool game.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game always felt like Apex Legends in the sense that it was a side idea Respawn had that was just chasing a current trend. Only difference being Apex blew the fuck up and this one was a fart in the wind for Ninja Theory.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Played the demo once, and that was 10 minutes too much invested in this game. I am sure many prob felt the same.